• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: Federal government urges Americans to limit sugar to 10% of daily calories

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/07/federal-dietary-guidelines/77151060/

The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends limiting the amount of added sugars in our diet to no more than 10% of daily calories. That's about 12 teaspoons of sugar a day. To put that in perspective, a can of Coke contains nearly 10 teaspoons.

Most of us would have to make big changes in our diets to follow the new guidelines.

The Food and Drug Administration also has proposed changing food labels to list added sugars. The current label lists "total sugar," a combination of added and natural sugars. The Sugar Association opposes the labeling change, arguing that there's no scientific reason to differentiate added versus natural sugars.

Another big change this year: Americans no longer need to count the amount of cholesterol in their food, according to the guidelines. Research shows that a person's diet has a relatively small effect on cholesterol levels in the blood, which are more influenced by a person's genes.

kwM8fxA.jpg

Dennis

Banned
The American sugar intake is insane.

Sodas, candy, cakes etc all taste way too sweet and bland over here.

Geist-

The Food and Drug Administration also has proposed changing food labels to list added sugars. The current label lists "total sugar," a combination of added and natural sugars. The Sugar Association opposes the labeling change, arguing that there's no scientific reason to differentiate added versus natural sugars.

Of course the Sugar Association would say that...

Bah, how do they expect me to eat enough fat and protein to eclipse the massive amount of sugar I will continue to eat?

I had to look hard to find a yogurt that didn't have 9-18g of fucking sugar in it. It's the same with simple protein bars. It's amazing how many 'healthy' foods have a shit load of sugar in them to make it edible. Oh, the sugar free yogurt and protein bars taste like shit but at least it's within my diet.

PBY

Banned
Lol, this isn't going to work for me. All I drink is apple juice, soda, and hot chocolate.

Right - which is why I'm not sure what the value in breaking out "added" sugar is?

Actually open to hearing the countervailing point.

Stop drinking soda, juice, and stop eating fruit. Stop eating carbs, those are sugars too.

It makes you fat.

Sugar is the new gluten.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
This gets me thinking about some types of almond milk and how they'll have almost the daily max of sugar in a single glass of the stuff. It's pretty nutty. =O

FStop7

Banned
Jesus and here I feel bad about having two cookies in a day.

If over 10% of your calories are coming from sugar you're fucked.

Davey Cakes

This gets me thinking about some types of almond milk and how they'll have almost the daily max of sugar in a single glass of the stuff. It's pretty nutty. =O
That's why I buy "unsweetened" almond milk. If I want to enhance the taste, I can always add something sweet or creamy.

I typically don't drink it anyway. The best use is in cereal or granola and smoothies, where it shines.

As for sugar, I don't actively try to avoid it and I indulge plenty. That said, a lot of foods would probably be better without ADDED sugar.

jmdajr

Jesus and here I feel bad about having two cookies in a day.

If over 10% of your calories are coming from sugar you're fucked.

I hear ya. I had pita chips today and felt like I did bad.

Yet folks guzzle sugar like nothing.

Futureman

They also said men and teenage dudes should eat less meat.

I know my vegan friend is going to be ALL UPSET that they took out the recommendation that ALL people should be eating less meat due to the environmental impact, but even if the meat lobby forced their hand, I think I agree that it doesn't really belong in a report about the health impact of food.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The Sugar Association opposes the labeling change, arguing that there's no scientific reason to differentiate added versus natural sugars.

On it's face, that doesn't seem disagreeable - but something isn't sitting right with me on that. I can appreciate the idea that 'total sugar' is probably more important than how much sugar in some food was added or just comes with it, but is there really no scientific evidence that says that added sugar is somehow worse? I guess if I think about it, I can't really think of how...

There's no reason they shouldn't A. come right out and make a recommendation on total sugar (not added sugar, because that's fucking irrelevant) per day and B. require labeling that specifies additional sugar added on top of natural sugar.

Both are useful pieces of information.

Davey Cakes

I hear ya. I had pita chips today and felt like I did bad.

Yet folks guzzle sugar like nothing.
I mean, a single can of Pepsi has 42g of sugar and 150 calories. A single can already puts you right near the recommended MAXIMUM of sugar intake for the day.

And people oftentimes drink soda "like it's water."

It's legit frightening how much additional sugar people take in without necessarily realizing it.

PBY

Banned
There's no reason they shouldn't A. come right out and make a recommendation on total sugar (not added sugar, because that's fucking irrelevant) per day and B. require labeling that specifies additional sugar added on top of natural sugar.

Both are useful pieces of information.

What is useful about the bolded? Curious, legit want to know.

Fruit is fine. There is no added sugar in fruit. It's the amount of sugar that's supposed to be in it, according to nature. The fiber in fruit helps you absorb the sugar more slowly, which is good.

It's juice that's the problem. Orange juice is all the sugar without any of the fiber.

Everyone should watch the movie "Fed Up" which is on Netflix right now. It's all about sugar and what a big scam it is, being forced on this country. People have no idea about sugar. That movie will change your life.

Quixzlizx

I wish companies would stop adding so much salt to processed food. I have no idea how they manage it, but putting half the salt into a fresh-cooked dish that exists in the processed version would make the fresh-cooked dish entirely inedible.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I mean, a single can of Pepsi has 42g of sugar and 150 calories. A single can already puts you right near the recommended MAXIMUM of sugar intake for the day.

And people oftentimes drink soda "like it's water."

It's legit frightening how much additional sugar people take in without necessarily realizing it.

Yup.

My parents are at an age where they're developing health issues (my dad in particular) and are trying to be "healthier". My dad still feels entitled to drink soda every day, though, and doesn't seem to want to accept that soda is literally nothing more than liquid candy. Both of them gotta have their big ol' piece of cake or pie, or candy in my dad's case, after dinner every night. Don't tell me you're trying to be healthy or complain about your health when you consume this absolute garbage on a daily basis.

My dad's even had a couple diabetes scares, although thankfully it turns out he doesn't have it. You'd think that would get him off the soda and candy bars. Nope.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im guilty of a can of soda a day :( Feels bad man.

Trying to cut it out, but its not easy. Nothing gives you a kick like sugar, and long work days are hard to get through. I hate the taste of coffee and I really dont feel 5 hour energies are a good think to drink too often.

Soda's are really my only vise, I dont like candy very much and most of my work food is either Amy's microwave meals (like buritos and brocohli bowls) or PBJ's.

Dinner my wife and I have been doing better, whole foods like chicken, green beans and ussually a small roll to go with. Keeping it simple and home made.

PBY

Banned
Im guilty of a can of soda a day :( Feels bad man.

Trying to cut it out, but its not easy. Nothing gives you a kick like sugar, and long work days are hard to get through. I hate the taste of coffee and I really dont feel 5 hour energies are a good think to drink too often.

Soda's are really my only vise, I dont like candy very much and most of my work food is either Amy's microwave meals (like buritos and brocohli bowls) or PBJ's.

Dinner my wife and I have been doing better, whole foods like chicken, green beans and ussually a small roll to go with. Keeping it simple and home made.

Try to get away from those microwave meals if you can; they aren't great for you, and they don't even taste that great?

Quixzlizx

Someone explain to me what the difference between natural sugar and added sugar is?

A natural sugar would be the fructose that exists in an apple when you pluck it from the tree, or the lactose that exists in milk when you squeeze it from the udder.

Added sugar would be anywhere you see "high fructose corn syrup" on a food label.

Someone explain to me what the difference between natural sugar and added sugar is?

There are several kinds of sugars. For instance, galactose occurs naturally in milk. So a new label would differentiate between that and added sucrose or fructose.

While it is true that fructose is the worst of all sugars, you should still limit all of them and consume diligently. So the differentiation is not that useful

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Natural sugar is stuff like sugar in an orange. Added sugar is like high fructose corn syrup.

Natural sugar is the "good" sugar, while added sugar should be avoided when possible. Don't overdo either one.

Edit: haha

What is useful about the bolded? Curious, legit want to know.

Just as an example: when I buy peanut butter, I want peanut butter that's just peanuts, mashed up. There's like, 10 different kinds of peanut butter at ever grocery store though, and none of them specifically call out added sugar, so I need to look at each one to figure out which has ingredients beyond the only necessary one (peanuts).

While I think amount of sugar (total) is an important thing to watch, I at least would really love it if anything with sugar added to it had a specific callout as well though I don't think it needs to be on the nutrition info itself, but at least somewhere on the label.

PBY

Banned
There are several kinds of sugars. For instance, galactose occurs naturally in milk. So a new label would differentiate between that and added sucrose or fructose.

While it is true that fructose is the worst of all sugars, you should still limit all of them and consume diligently. So the differentiation is not that useful

I still don't understand what the value of natural vs added is here tho - can't fructose be "natural'?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Try to get away from those microwave meals if you can; they aren't great for you, and they don't even taste that great?

I actually really like the Buritos, Amy's microwavable stuff is the only microwave meals i've ever liked. And even if they didnt taste great they are still better than a can of Campbell soup or a PBJ. Honestly neither my wife or I are good cooks, so we dont often have good left overs. Also I go to work at 6am, its hard to get stuff together for a good lunch so early in the morning.

Do you have good simple lunch suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom