• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: Federal government urges Americans to limit sugar to 10% of daily calories

Status
Not open for further replies.
A natural sugar would be the fructose that exists in an apple when you pluck it from the tree, or the lactose that exists in milk when you squeeze it from the udder.

Added sugar would be anywhere you see "high fructose corn syrup" on a food label.

There are several kinds of sugars. For instance, galactose occurs naturally in milk. So a new label would differentiate between that and added sucrose or fructose.

While it is true that fructose is the worst of all sugars, you should still limit all of them and consume diligently. So the differentiation is not that useful

Natural sugar is stuff like sugar in an orange. Added sugar is like high fructose corn syrup.

Natural sugar is the "good" sugar, while added sugar should be avoided when possible. Don't overdo either one.

Edit: haha
Makes sense now. Thanks for this fellas!

I think I'm okay, I only drink water outside of liquor, beer and my 1 cup of Tea everymorning. Not a sweets guy either

PBY

Banned
Natural sugar is stuff like sugar in an orange. Added sugar is like high fructose corn syrup.

Natural sugar is the "good" sugar, while added sugar should be avoided when possible. Don't overdo either one.

Edit: haha

Regarding the orange - isn't that just fructose?

Quixzlizx

I still don't understand what the value of natural vs added is here tho - can't fructose be "natural'?

While you shouldn't be eating fruit all day, eating a piece of fruit isn't going to be too bad for you because the fiber of the fruit's pulp helps moderate your digestion of the sugar.

If you pour 5 teaspoons of added table sugar on your grapefruit, that is dietary fuckery.

PBY

Banned
While you shouldn't be eating fruit all day, eating a piece of fruit isn't going to be too bad for you because the fiber of the fruit's pulp helps moderate your digestion of the sugar.

If you pour 5 teaspoons of added table sugar on your grapefruit, that is dietary fuckery.

Totally get that. But thats just a quantity issue - not seeing the actual difference between the two?

gaiages

Banned
Try to get away from those microwave meals if you can; they aren't great for you, and they don't even taste that great?

There are frozen meals out there that are good for you. Sure they aren't as great as if you cooked everything yourself, but not every frozen dinner is terrible in terms of calories/fat/taste.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also I go to work at 6am, its hard to get stuff together for a good lunch so early in the morning.

Get a crockpot/slowcooker or even a rice-cooker (if that's your speed?) and throw items into it and set it to "cook" overnight? There's crockpot Curries and Stews out there. I think you can do some other stuff as well.

In any case: Recommending is all well and good, but it'd help if the government mandated the food manufacturers to actually CUT things out of their stuff/reduce it.

Quixzlizx

Totally get that. But thats just a quantity issue - not seeing the actual difference between the two?

The quantity is the issue, because you have to try much harder to overload with sugar if you just ate "natural" foods. There are no Coca-cola trees in the wild that allow you to drink 45g of sugar in 12 fl oz.

How does something taste too sweet and bland at the same time?

I've had stuff that was so sweet all I could taste was a "sugar" flavor and any other flavors that might have been present were drowned out. I can remember a lemon cake that had this exact problem, you could smell lemon but only taste sweet.

j-wood

I actually really like the Buritos, Amy's microwavable stuff is the only microwave meals i've ever liked. And even if they didnt taste great they are still better than a can of Campbell soup or a PBJ. Honestly neither my wife or I are good cooks, so we dont often have good left overs. Also I go to work at 6am, its hard to get stuff together for a good lunch so early in the morning.

Do you have good simple lunch suggestions?

Amy's lunches are fine. They are organic. Just watch the sodium, and they are a good lunch.

There's also alot of freakout here. Is a can of soda good for you? Nah, it's not "healthy"

If you drink a soda here or there will your health plummet and you die in agony? Nope. Diet and activity go hand in hand. Exercise, and you can be considerably more lax in your diet than you have to be if you do no exercise and still try to diet.

PBY

Banned
The quantity is the issue, because you have to try much harder to overload with sugar if you just ate "natural" foods. There are no Coca-cola trees in the wild that allow you to drink 45g of sugar in 12 fl oz.

Right; just not seeing then what the value of breaking out a peanut butter label, for example, into natural vs added sugar.

I just feel like people are going to see "natural" sugar and ignore that its effectively the same in terms of weight gain.

inm8num2

How bad is sugar for me? #sugartax

I think these guys might be right - confusion about limiting intake of processed sugary foods is going to lead to "low sugar" diets in which people stop eating fruit and other natural sources of sugar.

First and foremost people need to move away from the processed foods and develop a lifestyle of cooking and eating more healthy.

clav

I wish companies would stop adding so much salt to processed food. I have no idea how they manage it, but putting half the salt into a fresh-cooked dish that exists in the processed version would make the fresh-cooked dish entirely inedible.

Same with restaurants.

There's a certain age group that doesn't know how to cook and eats out all the time because they can afford that lifestyle. When they go back to home cooked meals, some of them complain, "Why is everything so bland?"

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Regarding the orange - isn't that just fructose?
Bad example on my part. Oranges actually have all 3 (glucose, fructose, sucrose) types. Pick another fruit. =)

Take this with a grain of salt, but IIRC "natural" sugars are deemed ok because even though fructose is a natural sugar, you're gaining some other nutrients with that sugar.

If you're eating enough fruit to cause sugar intake issues, that's probably not the most pressing concern. But it's incredibly easy to take in too much added sugar because there's no limit to how much sugar can be added to a food.

Quixzlizx

Right; just not seeing then what the value of breaking out a peanut butter label, for example, into natural vs added sugar.

I just feel like people are going to see "natural" sugar and ignore that its effectively the same in terms of weight gain.

Because you can't add natural sugar to something. So if people start getting up in arms about added sugars, then the total sugar of products will have to go down, since it's impossible to "add" natural sugar to compensate for lowering the added sugar amounts.

So by getting people to notice how much unneeded sugar is being added to our diets, it might help consumers to convince food companies to lower the total overall amount of sugar in the American diet.

Zach

There should really be a sugar daily allowance (with a percentage) listed on foods. Also, I find deceitful serving sizes annoying. "Hey, have this candy bar! Only 200 calories or whatever!* (*per serving; serving = one bite)".

I mean, I'm watchful for this crap, and I know a lot of people won't look at the nutritional info anyway, but I'm amazed at how ignorant some friends/family/coworkers can be when it comes to this stuff. Like, when I point out "that single can of soda has more than your recommended daily intake of sugar alone", it blows some folks' minds. Or when someone's like "oh, only X calories; that's not bad!" and I'm like "dude, that says per serving, of which there are 4."

I dunno. Just yelling at the clouds here.

I specifically look for PB with no (or less) added sugar. Regular PB usually has 3 Grams (I forget the measurement) of sugar. "Less added sugar" usually has 2 grams. "No added sugar" has 1 gram usually.

I look for it because I give my dog peanut butter as a treat and I don't want him to get dog diabetus, so I'd imagine some families might do the same for their human pets

Is Orange Juice alright? I mean it says "100 natural" and all that stuff, has 22g of sugar. I know fruit has natural sugars in it, but like I don't know what to trust at this point.

Quixzlizx

Same with restaurants.

There's a certain age group that doesn't know how to cook and eats out all the time because they can afford that lifestyle. When they go back to home cooked meals, some of them complain, "Why is everything so bland?"

Haha, I didn't mean it that way. I meant even half the salt in a fresh-cooked dish makes something taste MUCH saltier than twice as much salt in a processed dish. It's not that I think that fresh-cooked food is bland.

clav

Haha, I didn't mean it that way. I meant even half the salt in a fresh-cooked dish makes something taste MUCH saltier than twice as much salt in a processed dish. It's not that I think that fresh-cooked food is bland.

Oh I didn't mean to direct that towards you.

Your post reminded me of those kind of people.

That said, a lot of food is preserved with excessive salt.

andycapps

Im guilty of a can of soda a day :( Feels bad man.

Trying to cut it out, but its not easy. Nothing gives you a kick like sugar, and long work days are hard to get through. I hate the taste of coffee and I really dont feel 5 hour energies are a good think to drink too often.

Soda's are really my only vise, I dont like candy very much and most of my work food is either Amy's microwave meals (like buritos and brocohli bowls) or PBJ's.

Dinner my wife and I have been doing better, whole foods like chicken, green beans and ussually a small roll to go with. Keeping it simple and home made.

Wife and I switched to Coke Zero a couple years ago and don't miss regular at all. Though Vanilla Coke Zero is the shit, that's what I recommend.

PBY

Banned
Because you can't add natural sugar to something. So if people start getting up in arms about added sugars, then the total sugar of products will have to go down, since it's impossible to "add" natural sugar to compensate for lowering the added sugar amounts.

So by getting people to notice how much unneeded sugar is being added to our diets, it might help consumers to convince food companies to lower the total overall amount of sugar in the American diet.

Makes sense; I do wonder about fruit juice and other similar things though. I mean, Naked Juices advertises that they don't add sugar, and their stuff is WORSE than soda.

PBY

Banned
The graph in OP shows fruit and fruit juice...is there spacific types brands that are alright? I'm talking about generic orange juice with pulp and such. Not Sunny Delight.

Nope.

This is why I think the natural vs added sugar creates unnecessary confusion.

jmdajr

The added benefit of fruit is even though it has sugar, the fact that it still has all the fiber and nutrients makes it good. Hell I just had some Kiwi with the skin still on.

But juiced fruit might as well be poison.
I used to think smoothie king was healthy!

I still don't understand what the value of natural vs added is here tho - can't fructose be "natural'?

There is really no value. Fructose is only natural from whole fruits and certain plants, and the fiber that comes in them mitigates a lot of the bad effects. But even then, the liver can only process a tiny amount of fructose, so even coming from fruits it has to be limited.

ucdawg12

I don't believe there is any difference between natural sugar and added sugar. Depending on the chemical make-up, I believe even the difference between sugar and HFCS is something like 5% and while HFCS is worse for you, it is not that much worse.

The problem with sugar comes from the amount that people intake every day and how those calories add up and create weight and health problems which puts a financial burden on the whole of society. So, it's not that there is much of a difference between added sugar and natural sugar, it's that when you take into account added sugar upon what sugar is already in that food naturally, you are upping the individual's total sugar intake but because it is added, that can be changed pretty easily.

Also, sugar is not 100% bad, it plays its role. I believe it's very important for a lot of amino acids. It's just that American food has evolved into everything having a shit load of sugar in it because so much is added to it. And all those added sugars add up. I actually believe the WHO suggests an even smaller daily intake compared to the FDA, the WHO says in general (and this depends on your height and weight), women should not take in more that 25g of added sugar a day and that men should not take in more 36g. The FDA's current recommendation is 50g, I believe. Getting below 50g will be tough for most people to do (I imagine most people probably have like 80-100g on a normal day and like 150g-200g at a holiday party with cake and snacks), personally getting below 36g was really tough to do just because of how everything, even things you wouldn't expect, are so loaded with sugar.

I don't actually know what the ideal total sugar intake is (when you add both natural and added together), and I don't think this is a recommendation to suggest people should aim for whatever that number would be, it is more that sugar intake is too high and needs to be reigned in and added sugar is the easier lever to adjust in this situation.

Edit: also, while I again don't think there is that much difference between natural sugar and added sugar, fruit and vegetables and such which have a natural amount of sugar also include a lot of fiber which helps slow down the digestion of sugar so it doesn't hit your liver all at once. But eating like 4 apples at once is not considered healthy, in fact more than 3 servings (whole fruits) a day and not spaced apart is considered too much from what I've read, even with all the fiber you're getting, too much sugar is too much sugar.

Quixzlizx

I mean, fruit juices are a bit of an outlier. There aren't too many other products where you can so spectacularly concentrate the natural sugar content while removing all of the nutritional benefits.

MogCakes

So the agreed upon healthiest diet is lots of veggies, little bit of meat, only water. Probably no salad dressing either.

Wonderful! Nothing will kill me now!

inm8num2

The most important thing to do with nutrition labels is to look at the ingredients themselves. People get too caught up in numbers. I mean, numbers are important for counting calories/macros as well as weight loss/gain, but oftentimes people overlook what the food actually is. Hence "low carb" or "low fat" foods that are worse than the "normal" counterpart.

Also, the way sugar is listed is incredibly deceptive.
7cyOI1U.jpg

I shudder to think at how many people might look at something like a soda label and think, "Well, it has 39g of sugar, but that's only 13% of my daily carb intake, so it's okay."

Tobor

We need to know the added sugar because it's been added. It's that simple. It didn't occur in the food naturally, it's been added during processing.

I want to know what these companies are doing to my food.

jmdajr

One of the most fucked thing with sugar is yogurt. It took me awhile to realize I was doing damage.

Yes they do sell lower sugar varieties, but not many. They waste so much time trying to get rid of all the fat which is non sense. Yogurt needs fucking fat!

Sulik2

Now stop subsidizing corn and regulate adding sugar and high fructose corn syrup to the food supply while shifting subsides to fruit and vegetable farmers.

jmdajr

The most important thing to do with nutrition labels is to look at the ingredients themselves. People get too caught up in numbers. I mean, numbers are important for counting calories/macros as well as weight loss/gain, but oftentimes people overlook what the food actually is. Hence "low carb" or "low fat" foods that are worse than the "normal" counterpart.

Also, the way sugar is listed is incredibly deceptive.

I shudder to think at how many people might look at something like a soda label and think, "Well, it has 39g of sugar, but that's only 13% of my daily carb intake, so it's okay."

Wow yeah, that is totally fucked! How can we be so far behind in food science god damn.

FStop7

Banned
Is Orange Juice alright? I mean it says "100 natural" and all that stuff, has 22g of sugar. I know fruit has natural sugars in it, but like I don't know what to trust at this point.

It's liquid candy. You should limit your intake the same way you'd limit your intake of soda.

j-wood

I don't believe there is any difference between natural sugar and added sugar. Depending on the chemical make-up, I believe even the difference between sugar and HFCS is something like 5% and while HFCS is worse for you, it is not that much worse.

The problem with sugar comes from the amount that people intake every day and how those calories add up and create weight and health problems which puts a financial burden on the whole of society. So, it's not that there is much of a difference between added sugar and natural sugar, it's that when you take into account added sugar upon what sugar is already in that food naturally, you are upping the individual's total sugar intake but because it is added, that can be changed pretty easily.

Also, sugar is not 100% bad, it plays its role. I believe it's very important for a lot of amino acids. It's just that American food has evolved into everything having a shit load of sugar in it because so much is added to it. And all those added sugars add up. I actually believe the WHO suggests an even smaller daily intake compared to the FDA, the WHO says in general (and this depends on your height and weight), women should not take in more that 25g of added sugar a day and that men should not take in more 36g. The FDA's current recommendation is 50g, I believe. Getting below 50g will be tough for most people to do (I imagine most people probably have like 80-100g on a normal day and like 150g-200g at a holiday party with cake and snacks), personally getting below 36g was really tough to do just because of how everything, even things you wouldn't expect, are so loaded with sugar.

I don't actually know what the ideal total sugar intake is (when you add both natural and added together), and I don't think this is a recommendation to suggest people should aim for whatever that number would be, it is more that sugar intake is too high and needs to be reigned in and added sugar is the easier lever to adjust in this situation.

Edit: also, while I again don't think there is that much difference between natural sugar and added sugar, fruit and vegetables and such which have a natural amount of sugar also include a lot of fiber which helps slow down the digestion of sugar so it doesn't hit your liver all at once. But eating like 4 apples at once is not considered healthy, in fact more than 3 servings (whole fruits) a day and not spaced apart is considered too much from what I've read, even with all the fiber you're getting, too much sugar is too much sugar.

Yeah I think you nailed it. That said, getting below 36g isn't THAT crazy if you just cut back on soda.

For example, my diet today:

I had chick fil a for breakfast. I normally don't eat fast food, but was running late and hate to grab something. Spicy chicken biscuit and hash browns. 6g of sugar total.

Had a salad for lunch with Lite Italian dressing. 0g of sugar.

Pack of peanut butter crackers for afternoon snack, 5g of sugar.

All of this while drinking water. I'm at only 11g of sugar for the day. I could still drink a can of soda tonight not be insanely over 36g of sugar for the day. Granted, the food items would have to be limited in sugar for dinner, but that's possible.

Count what you eat, and don't over eat. It's that simple really.

TimeLike

Fruit is fine. There is no added sugar in fruit. It's the amount of sugar that's supposed to be in it, according to nature. The fiber in fruit helps you absorb the sugar more slowly, which is good.

It's juice that's the problem. Orange juice is all the sugar without any of the fiber.

Everyone should watch the movie "Fed Up" which is on Netflix right now. It's all about sugar and what a big scam it is, being forced on this country. People have no idea about sugar. That movie will change your life.

Does added sugar provoke a different insulin response than naturally occurring sugar? Should we worry about the apple that is crossbred to have as much total sugar as a candy bar? I'd just avoid it all.

jmdajr

Does added sugar provoke a different insulin response than naturally occurring sugar? Should we worry about the apple that is crossbred to have as much total sugar as a candy bar? I'd just avoid it all.

Probably not. The fiber just counters some damage. Plus most people won't eat more than one apple. You feel fuller faster.

M.Bluth

One of the most fucked thing with sugar is yogurt. It took me awhile to realize I was doing damage.

Yes they do sell lower sugar varieties, but not many. They waste so much time trying to get rid of all the fat which is non sense. Yogurt needs fucking fat!

Savory yogurt>*

clav

Probably not. The fiber just counters some damage. Plus most people won't eat more than one apple. You feel fuller faster.

There's a myth going around that HFCS makes the body use more insulin and thus increases the risk of Diabetes Type II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom