• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: Federal government urges Americans to limit sugar to 10% of daily calories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesther

Oils are pretty much unnecessary, so this thing is a mess.

Also, who eats that much meat? Damn.

Basically any non-vegan/vegeterian person into weight lifting, I reckon. Most of my calories come from lean meat. Rest are greens, beans and maybe some grains.

entremet

No. Oils are technically lipids/fatty acids just like fats, and some have numerous health benefits.
I'm saying you really don't need them. You can get all your essential fats from food. That's all.

Sure, salad dressing and fried food is tasty, but making up that much of your dietary requirements? Unnecessary, unless you're on ketosis,

jmdajr

sticker,375x360.u1.png
My coworker basically drinks coconut oil for breakfast. Lol. But hey most people ain't doing that.

It doesn't matter inherently if something is artificial or natural, that just tells you where it came from. What matters is the molecule, no matter how it got there. Fructose and sucrose sugar molecules are bad for your liver and metabolism.

Yup so basically if it wasn't there to begin with we shouldn't be fucking around with it =/

params7

Banned
Too late. Much of America's food culture is addiction to sugar. Going to take a lot of effort to reverse that and replace it with veggies and grilled meats.

G.ZZZ

Added sugar is useful because in most cases food with added sugars don't add other things and make food extremely caloric dense and with 0 need for digestion. Natural sugar on the other hand, is usually in sources which contain propers amount of water, fiber, and other things which slow down digestion and don't make you feel hungry after 10 mins again. Exceptions of course but i'd be in favor of labels having "added X".

Dennis

Banned
Today I learned that Americans think that sweetness rescues something from being bland.

When sweetness of course is a form of bland.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Because you can't add natural sugar to something. So if people start getting up in arms about added sugars, then the total sugar of products will have to go down, since it's impossible to "add" natural sugar to compensate for lowering the added sugar amounts.

So by getting people to notice how much unneeded sugar is being added to our diets, it might help consumers to convince food companies to lower the total overall amount of sugar in the American diet.
Why would you just not expect consumers to avoid foods that are high in sugars?

If we were to live in the world you envision, I can totally see companies adding extra fruits into their processed foods to get away with sweeter foods that have "no added sugar".

I think the biggest problem with differentiating between "natural sugars" and the added sugars is that it makes it seem like natural sugars are "okay", when they totally aren't. Not any more than added sugars at least.

coklat

Neo Member
You know that if they are required to list Added Sugars, they will just do what they did with kids' juice drinks and replace all the cane sugar/HFCS with apple juice. Apple juice that has been so refined that it is basically syrup. Or like how MSG is now "seaweed extract," and nitrite-free processed meats have celery salt (which is nitrite...).

The other major problem is that produce as we know it in America has already been bred to be much higher in sugar than what our grandparents or great grandparents ate in their youth. Sickly sweet green grapes, apples without any tartness, tangerines that straight-up advertise themselves as candy.

rykomatsu

2000 calories a day
20g of sugar a day

still seems a bit too much imo

Uh...10% of 2000 calories is 200 calories.

4 calories / g of sugar

Thus, you can still have 50g of sugar a day (which is a fuck ton)

Too late. Much of America's food culture is addiction to sugar. Going to take a lot of effort to reverse that and replace it with veggies and grilled meats.

The thing is, though, it only takes 2-3 days to get over sugar addiction in most people with the right macronutrient intake.

This gets me thinking about some types of almond milk and how they'll have almost the daily max of sugar in a single glass of the stuff. It's pretty nutty. =O

Yeah, if you buy the bullshit sweetened ones.

Funny to see people complaining as if 'what am I supposed to eat'.. Well you can be damn certain it's not added fucking sugar. All your sugars should come exclusively from fruit. If you're going beyond that, you're doing it wrong. Eat vegetables, eat the lean flesh of animals. Rule of thumb.. If it's processed, don't eat it.

Real (hu)men drink water. Flavorful drinks are candy for grown ups who don't understand how eating healthy works. The idea that you can treat yourself occasionally only works with people who are disciplined to go out of their way to eat very healthily. Everyone else is already losing the battle.

The Lamp

I'm saying you really don't need them. You can get all your essential fats from food. That's all.

Sure, salad dressing and fried food is tasty, but making up that much of your dietary requirements? Unnecessary, unless you're on ketosis,

Oils and fats are generally technically the same thing (lipid molecules), oils are just generally found to be liquid at room temperature, and fats are generally found to be solid at room temperature.

Lipids are in general essential to the body. They connect your tissues and are used in hormones.

Depends on what oil.

You should be aware of palm oils and partially hydrogenated or fully hydrogenated oils in your food because of trans fat.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Getti...althyEating/Trans-Fats_UCM_301120_Article.jsp

Food manufacturers use these oils to prolong the shelf life of their products.

Obviously.

The point is you can't just demonize lipids or even oils. They are important.

Everyone, even food companies, know trans fats are bad. That's why so much food science R&D focused on removing it.

tokkun

What is useful about the bolded? Curious, legit want to know.

Here is a scenario I go through regularly:

I pick up something at the store - say greek yogurt - and look at how much sugar it contains. Since I don't know how much of the sugar is added and how much is natural in yogurt, I don't know if it is possible to find a brand with less sugar in it. This necessitates me checking a bunch of different brands.

If the label had just said zero added sugar, I could have known right away that I wouldn't do any better and wouldn't need to check the other labels.

shem935

Banned
So looking at my diet today. Consumed a total of 38 g of sugar for ~1700 calories/10= 170/4=42.5. So pretty close to my 10% limit. I hadn't eaten any junk food so I was curious where my sugar came from. I had a golden delicious apple rated at 18 g of sugar. Should I have not eaten that Apple? Cutting that would take me well below my sugar goal.

clav

So looking at my diet today. Consumed a total of 38 g of sugar for ~1700 calories/10= 170/4=42.5. So pretty close to my 10% limit. I hadn't eaten any junk food so I was curious where my sugar came from. I had a golden delicious apple rated at 18 g of sugar. Should I have not eaten that Apple? Cutting that would take me well below my sugar goal.

Unless you ate something like a caramel apple which contains added sugar, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I take it this is an actual thing and not just a South Park gag?

Of course it's not a gag.

If grains were almost completely eliminated from it and assuming that "fats" included the fat on meat and fish, then it would pretty much be how I eat most of the time.

Schlep

Just watched "In Defense of Food" last night on the PBS app. Might be the best documentary I've seen on the issue to date.

Servbot24

Banned
I usually don't eat any food with sugar (meat, eggs, oatmeal, spinach, almonds. I'm assuming there's no sugar in those). Once in a while I'll have a Quest bar which has around 2 grams, and sometimes I'll hsave cottage cheese. I'll have some kind of high sugar treat maybe once a week if there's a party or something, but honestly I should stop doing even that - not because the occasional sugar intake will hurt that much, but because it reminds me that's tasty. Best to just go off it completely.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Obumer is trying to take our sugar freedoms so we won't have enough energy to fight the impending race war.

#makeamericagreat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom