• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: Federal government urges Americans to limit sugar to 10% of daily calories

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

The Food and Drug Administration also has proposed changing food labels to list added sugars. The current label lists "total sugar," a combination of added and natural sugars. The Sugar Association opposes the labeling change, arguing that there's no scientific reason to differentiate added versus natural sugars.

I'm all for more labeling, but as an engineer I am curious what the scientific reasoning is for this? The Sugar Association doesn't seem to be incorrect on that point. All that matters is the total amount of sugar you are ingesting. If you know added sugar, you can INFER roughly the ratio of bad, sweet sugars (like sucrose and fructose, as opposed to lactose or maltose) you're ingesting compared to other sugars, but not really (unless you know exactly what kinds of sugars are naturally there) so that's not really that accurate or useful.

The use I CAN see is psychologically disturbing the public to the obscene amount of sugar they consume is added to the original food to make it palatable to the sweet-crazy American consumer.

Davey Cakes

Peanut Butter in plain yogurt is good.
I'll add that the peanut butter being the "no added sugar" kind might also be a plus, especially for someone trying to cut back.

At that point it basically tastes like smooth peanuts and nothing else, but it's still really hearty and satisfying.

jmdajr

I'll add that the peanut butter being the "no added sugar" kind might also be a plus, especially for someone trying to cut back.

At that point it basically tastes like smooth peanuts and nothing else, but it's still really hearty and satisfying.

The added sugar is almost nothing. It's better than tons of other things.

The Lamp

Isn't the sugars on the list already added sugars? If you do carbohydrates - sugars is that = 'natural' sugars??

Carbohydrates (simple and complex) are a broad class of molecules.
Sugars are a specific type of carbohydrate called a simple carbohydrate.
Sugars listed on the label are the total amount of carbohydrates that are sugars. Carbohydrates - sugars = other carbohydrates (starches, complex carbohydrates, for example).

None of that informs you of carbohydrates or sugars that were originally in the raw material, and how much was added to sweeten the product material.

There are several kinds of sugars. For instance, galactose occurs naturally in milk. So a new label would differentiate between that and added sucrose or fructose.

While it is true that fructose is the worst of all sugars, you should still limit all of them and consume diligently. So the differentiation is not that useful

Exactly.

Davey Cakes

One of the most fucked thing with sugar is yogurt. It took me awhile to realize I was doing damage.

Yes they do sell lower sugar varieties, but not many. They waste so much time trying to get rid of all the fat which is non sense. Yogurt needs fucking fat!
Agreed wholeheartedly. I think Dannon came out with a Greek yogurt that finally gets rid of the added sugar AND the fake sweetener that makes reduced-calorie versions taste weird, which is a nice option for once. That said, I haven't tried it so I can't weigh in on how it tastes. I also haven't read the exact ingredients list.

Yogurt is troubling though. I think a cup of Chobani Simply 100 has 6g of sugar and the regular kind (which is 120 calories) has 16g of sugar. 20 calories is barely anything but I'd consider 10g of sugar to be a sizeable difference.

If I buy yogurt it's typically Greek style, and I've found that Fage 2% is the way to go. It has the fat (which is absolutely necessary, I agree), tastes the best of any plain Greek yogurt I've tried, and is wonderful as a heartier version of sour cream in applicable dishes. Mixing in fruit works well too, especially bananas which are sweet yet healthy. A single or partial banana, frozen then thawed and blended with some plain yogurt makes it very sweet and satisfying.

jmdajr

Agreed wholeheartedly. I think Dannon came out with a Greek yogurt that finally gets rid of the added sugar AND the fake sweetener that makes reduced-calorie versions taste weird, which is a nice option for once. That said, I haven't tried it so I can't weigh in on how it tastes. I also haven't read the exact ingredients list.

Yogurt is troubling though. I think a cup of Chobani Simply 100 has 6g of sugar and the regular kind (which is 120 calories) has 16g of sugar. 20 calories is barely anything but I'd consider 10g of sugar to be a sizeable difference for what should be a simple and hearty snack.

If I buy yogurt it's typically Greek style, and I've found that Fage 2% is the way to go. It has the fat (which is absolutely necessary, I agree), tastes the best of any plain Greek yogurt I've tried, and is wonderful as a heartier version of sour cream in applicable dishes. Mixing in fruit works well too, especially bananas which are sweet yet healthy. A single or partial banana, frozen then thawed and blended with some plain yogurt makes it very sweet and satisfying.

Fage is great but holy shit does it do a number on my digestive tract. I can't handle the stuff in it. Good bacteria, whatever it is.

Davey Cakes

Fage is great but holy shit does it do a number on my digestive tract. I can't handle the stuff in it. Good bacteria, whatever it is.
Have you tried the Chobani 4% Milkfat version? Taste-wise it's a solid substitute.

Cabot 4% is one of the worst things I've ever tasted. WAY too sour.

The Lamp

The bolded also includes artificial sugar which is super poison too right?

It doesn't matter inherently if something is artificial or natural, that just tells you where it came from. What matters is the molecule, no matter how it got there. Fructose and sucrose sugar molecules are bad for your liver and metabolism.

jmdajr

I don't know where I read or heard this, but the sugar in fruit by some form of evolution etc., is basically there to trick you to eat it. So you can get the fiber,vitamins,minerals etc. That's it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I don't know where I read or heard this, but the sugar in fruit by some form of evolution etc., is basically there to trick you to eat it. So you can get the fiber,vitamins,minerals etc. That's it.

those fucking crafty mangoes!!

jmdajr

Have you tried the Chobani 4% Milkfat version? Taste-wise it's a solid substitute.

Cabot 4% is one of the worst things I've ever tasted. WAY too sour.

Hmm. Never seen that one. I'll have to look. Right now I am eating for branded for diabetics.
carb-sugar-control-strawberries-cream.png

carb-sugar-control-strawberry-cream-nutrition.jpg

The Lamp

I'm too lazy to track what percent of my calorie intake is sugar, so I think I'll just stick to tracking calories.

The thing is, you should limit sugar because sugar damages your metabolism, makes it harder to maintain a healthy weight, and harms your liver, pancreas, and cardiovascular health over time.

What makes limiting sugar intake ACTUALLY difficult is how much food (80% of grocery store) is loaded with sugar. Because the American public loves sugar. They are used to it being in all their food. They demand it. Because the general public is grossly uneducated on basic nutrition, and because they're hooked to a sweet diet.

jmdajr

I'm too lazy to track what percent of my calorie intake is sugar, so I think I'll just stick to tracking calories.

I find this to be almost useless. If you get rid of flour,rice,potatoes and basically anything from the junk food ile. it's almost impossible to get fat.

Carbs are just insanely easy to consume.

Yeah trans fat is bad, but where is trans fat? fucking carbs. Every damn thing that is baked!

The Lamp

Hmm. Never seen that one. I'll have to look. Right now I am eating for yogurt branded for diabetics.

I think I'll start buying that.

With these things you typically have 4 scenarios.
1) customers demand sweetness, use sugar (bad for you)
2) customers demand sweetness, use aspartame (metabolically harmless, but some detect aftertaste)
3) customers demand sweetness, use stevia (metabolically harmless, expensive to use, but some detect aftertaste)
4) customers demand sweetness, use sucralose (metabolically harmless, but some detect aftertaste)

I prefer options 2-4 for my health.

Matt

Fruit is fine. There is no added sugar in fruit. It's the amount of sugar that's supposed to be in it, according to nature. The fiber in fruit helps you absorb the sugar more slowly, which is good.

The fiber part is true, but "nature" does not give a fuck about you. "Nature" does not have a consciousness, and is not making decisions of any kind.

jmdajr said:
Same thing here. Nothing added the sugar to fruit to look out for your wellbeing.

The thing is, you should limit sugar because sugar damages your metabolism, makes it harder to maintain a healthy weight, and harms your liver, pancreas, and cardiovascular health over time.

Then I may just be lucky in that the same diet I've had for the last 2 years must be low in sugar, because maintaining my weight has been super easy and deviates an average of 0.6% from its median every time I weigh myself.

I find this to be almost useless. If you get rid of flour,rice,potatoes and basically anything from the junk food ile. it's almost impossible to get fat.

Carbs are just insanely easy to consume.

Yeah trans fat is bad, but where is trans fat? fucking carbs. Every damn thing that is baked!

What about if you are already fat?

The Lamp

Then I may just be lucky in that the same diet I've had for the last 2 years must be low in sugar, because maintaining my weight has been super easy and deviates an average of 0.6% from its median every time I weigh myself.

Good for you. Fair warning, though, scale weight can be misleading because it weighs bone, fat, muscle, water and everything else all together. Also a high sugar or high alcohol diet can deposit dangerous visceral fat into your organs (called TOFI, thin on the outside fat on the inside), which won't show up on your waistline or anywhere else you think there's weight gain.

Good for you. Fair warning, though, scale weight can be misleading because it weighs bone, fat, muscle, water an everything else all togethers. Also a high sugar or high alcohol diet can deposit dangerous visceral fat into your organs (called TOFI, thin on the outside fat on the inside), which won't show up on your waistline or anywhere else you think there's weight gain.

Well I weight myself at least 4 times a day, and like I said, it deviates an average of 0.6%. I don't drink sodas or alcohol either.

The Lamp

Well I weight myself at least 4 times a day, and like I said, it deviates an average of 0.6%. I don't drink sodas or alcohol either.

Good. It's amazing. Cutting soda and alcohol alone for some people can drop peoples weight significantly. It's the result of sugar/alcohol and it's calories on your metabolism, liver, and pancreas!

Good. It's amazing. Cutting soda and alcohol alone for some people can drop peoples weight significantly. It's the result of sugar/alcohol and it's calories on your metabolism, liver, and pancreas!

Yeah, dropping soda several years ago lost me 30 lbs in a year. I didn't even increase exercise until after that. Luckily I never had to drop alcohol as I could never stand the taste to really stomach it to begin with. Now though I feel a bit unwell on the rare occasion I have a soda once or twice a year.

I feel like I've been reading this same thing every few months for the past decade. Thought this was pretty much common knowledge by now?

Are they wrong though? I think listing natural sugars separately is more harmful tbh

So they can stop putting sugar in my fucking bread. People will gravitate towards the few bread manufacturers who don't add sugar - because it tastes the fucking same either way - and manufacturers will be forced to cut the shit.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think anyone that's remotely health- or weight-conscious would have taken steps to limit their intake of sugar by now.

First order of business is cut out the softdrinks. I mean seriously. Grow up, cut that shit out.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Oils are pretty much unnecessary, so this thing is a mess.

Also, who eats that much meat? Damn.

I do, chicken is our primary food in our dinners. Followed by vegetables than grains. I think you'll find meats are the primary diet of most Americans.

Hell, yeah. That's how I have been living for a year and a half now. It has absolutely been life changing. I'm never hungry now, and I used to be ravenous.

High fat meats, cheese, a variety of fiber-rich vegetables, nuts, berries, and water and other sugar-free drinks (mostly tea, though I love Diet Dr. Pepper). I'm usually around 30 carbs a day, and it works great for me.

#ketoforlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom