• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception - |OT| Underwater Ray Romano

I found this while looking for a summary of the anime: http://xebek.animeblogger.net/category/anime/utawarerumono/page/3/

I figure it's better than nothing. I'm going to read through this before I start my playthrough today.
The first six episode might as well be prologue for all it covers, haha.
If you're dead set on not even watching the anime (which is streaming on funimation!) you could always read the Wikipedia episode summaries as well.

Saphirax

Vita version looks solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcWXrLzu7mE

I'm quite tempted by this... if this has fairly "thin" tactics gameplay, and a completely linear story, I might greatly enjoy this.

Edit: Rewind to any previous turn in the battle? BRILLIANT

It may seem like a good idea, but if the rewind function is the same as it was in Tears to Tiara 2 then, more often than not, it just makes the battles more aggravating.

Tabs

If you're dead set on not even watching the anime (which is streaming on funimation!) you could always read the Wikipedia episode summaries as well.

No, I'd really rather not watch the anime. I just want to play the game today. There are two more pages where he covers all 26 episodes. That's good enough for me.

Z3M0G

So I find this game looks pretty fantastic... I actually don't mind the heavy story/gameplay balance at all. If the story is good, I would actually LOVE that about it. Bare-bones tactics is my kind of tactics too!

I just know deep down that this game will have sales or price cut in a few months tops... $54cdn is a lot right now... especially if I opt to get Overwatch GOTY edition as well.

Hubb

I moved into a new place and don't have mailbox keys yet. Of course USPS drops the game off in there instead of at my door. Well fuck. Looks like I won't be playing until sometime Thursday.

Wichu

When do VGP update their catalogue? I'm trying to order a physical Vita copy to Europe with the free shipping offer, but it's still marked as a pre-order and therefore ineligible for free shipping :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

BTW do you have the funimation link? Not sure if I can access it out here without getting an error. I should go add it to the OP.

Is funimation the only site that has it available for streaming?

Shizuka

When do VGP update their catalogue? I'm trying to order a physical Vita copy to Europe with the free shipping offer, but it's still marked as a pre-order and therefore ineligible for free shipping :(

The free shipping doesn't work for anything released on the same month. If they extend that promo, it'll be available with free shipping next month.

Mozendo

Received my PS4 copy today.
Thought the artbook was going to be bigger, but it's smaller and wider than the game case.
Also the quality of the blu-ray printing is terrible on mine. Compared to the case and the sleeves it's (noticeably) worse quality. It seems washed out and grainy like used a terrible printer from the early 2000s (edit: picture be sure to zoom in, look at the left side - http://i.imgur.com/bJG9aun.jpg)

I'll probably start the game on the weekend, so excited!

Jimrpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I got mine. I didn't think I would get it in time before my holiday on June 1st. Now I've got Steins;Gate 0, Root Letter, Utawarerumono to get through.

The outer box got slightly squashed though i assume in transit. These outer cardboard cases just don't make any sense both during delivery and in the long run for collectors. :(

Having said that my Shantae Half Genie Hero box is still perfect and came all the way from Hong Kong (or whereever Play-Asia is).

Here is my squashed copy :(

sTKRamj.jpg

Mozendo

The outer box got slightly squashed though i assume in transit. These outer cardboard cases just don't make any sense both during delivery and in the long run for collectors. :(

Here is my squashed copy :(

Do you think it's possible to contact them before it ships to get proper packaging? I'm definitely going to ask Amazon in the future about this.

Parakeetman

Do you think it's possible to contact them before it ships to get proper packaging? I'm definitely going to ask Amazon in the future about this.

The fact that the dumbasses at Amazon think that the flimsy packaging they bag it in is a good idea for stuff like this is a problem to begin with. Even more so if one is a prime member.

Parakeetman

IT'S HERE
I got super excited just looking through the artbook and seeing the returning characters. <3

It is nice that they did the preorder / first print bonus stuff.

At the same time too bad they didnt do the same LE that Japan had as the special box w/ artwork was really good.

Jimrpg

Yep I'll definitely ask in the future for anything that's got a cardboard outer box. It was from Heavy-arm in Malaysia cause it's local for me. It was the first time I used them so I had no idea. I let them know about it but I didn't ask to return it as I just can't be bothered.

Sorry to shit up the thread with non discussion of the game but thought I'd give a heads up on others getting it delivered that it's easy to squash. I'd advise getting it in a box. Play-Asia does this for pretty much every cardboard item.

Sora_N

Omg there's a launch bonus? Just gonna buy it now. All first prints have it?

EDIT: Bought from Amazon for prime discount so it wasn't that expensive, guessing Vita games will be less available soon so might as well...

Parakeetman

What's the difference between the srpg battle portions?

Graphics.

All the official screenshots you see are from the ps4 version.

Vita version is not that sharp in the srpg portions.

Outside of that the event scenes and stuff look fine. So the main reason to go with the Vita version is if you want portability.

Parakeetman

It's been interesting seeing the Western critical reception.

This, for example, is one of the worst reviews I've ever read: http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/agon...-less-utawarerumono-mask-of-deception-review/

Was not expecting a lot of positive reviews mainly due to 2 things. One is granted this is a new cast it still heavily connected with the first game which never made it to the West. With that being said its not fair to expect reviewers to know that or assune they watched the anime of the first series. Therefore plot wise things would be a bit weaker due to not having a background with the series and reoccuring characters. Which was a large part of the fun for fans of the original series.

Next is depending on how the game was marketed / how people seemed to assume the SRPG portion was something which was supposed to be on par with other mainstream SRPG titles.

Any misconceptions here honestly is more the fault of either poor marketing or unrealistic expectations and the constant dick measuring which is a problem that plagues reviews today.

Do think the fact that while not totally correct one still is walking into a story halfway. Since the narrative and characters is what makes the game memorable being deprived of the original story would make a negative impact for a new person as the game is not designed to ease people into returning characters or backstory. While Mask of Deception does a fairly well job of introducing all the new characters and games world it still is a title made for fans of the original therefore doesnt really baby folks with previous events terms or characters much.

Its not something negative against the game as honestly only those who really care will be bothered by it. The responsibility is more on the publisher in the West for taking the risk. Though its good to see them trying to bring out various titles to the fans Westwards. But at the same time they need to be sure to market things correctly or brace themselves for lower reviews / reaction from the public.

Saphirax

Moonlight

Banned
Not sure how far in I am, but enjoying this a lot so far. Kuon is a fantastic character, which is good given how small the cast is so far and how much time she gets as a result.

One thing I just wanted to get off my chest is that I think I think I was too clever by half with regards to Ukon.
Was absolutely certain he was Oboro in disguise for whatever reason. The twins in black I just assumed would be the, well, the twins, but game shut that down as soon as we hit the capital. Unsure of how much of that was intentional or how much of that was me playing myself, lol.

Parakeetman

Not sure how far in I am, but enjoying this a lot so far. Kuon is a fantastic character, which is good given how small the cast is so far and how much time she gets as a result.

One thing I just wanted to get off my chest is that I think I think I was too clever by half with regards to Ukon.
Was absolutely certain he was Oboro in disguise for whatever reason. The twins in black I just assumed would be the, well, the twins, but game shut that down as soon as we hit the capital. Unsure of how much of that was intentional or how much of that was me playing myself, lol.

Think thats you playing yourself lol. Pretty interesting take on it though!

I'm pretty sure I've played the PC version like a decade ago or so. Is this the sequel or some sort?

The characters and SRPG gameplay are quite different from what I've seen.

Well yeah, the "sequel" that they're talking about is the 3rd game due to be released in September.

The only reviews that I take seriously are those that at least informed themselves a bit about what happened in the first game/anime. The story is just that essential...

Parakeetman

I'm pretty sure I've played the PC version like a decade ago or so. Is this the sequel or some sort?

The characters and SRPG gameplay are quite different from what I've seen.

1st Game Utawarerumono: PC, PS2, PSP, Anime

2nd Game Utawarerumono - Mask of Deception: PS3, PS4, PSV, Anime

3rd Game Utawarerumono - Mask of Truth: PS3, PS4, PSV

That should clear things up.

General estimated consensus is time between the first and second game is around 15+ / under 20 years.

Time between the 2nd and 3rd game is instantaneous as it continues with the other half of the story.

In anime terms, what is this comparable to?

why does it matter? you don't play games lulz
First game (never came out officially in english);
Second game (this one);
Third game (coming September 5th).

All of them had anime adaptations.

The anime that came out a year or so ago is based on this game, yes. The first anime from 2006 is based on the original game. While the original game only has fan translations to go off of, the anime itself is properly licensed by Funimation. And yes, the end of the trilogy comes out this September.

Basically the series started off as an eroge on the pc. After than a version for the ps2 was released with adult content removed. Then finally the original game was rereleased on the psp. (Which works on the vita as its sold digitally on JPSN)

Which brings us to the 2 part game series now that is the continuation to the story of the first game though takes place in a different part of the world. Not sure exactly how many years it is supposed to be after the first game. Under 20 though.

I had the same question as you

Top Bottom