• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception - |OT| Underwater Ray Romano

If anyone is sensitive to spoilers, skip the animated intro from Mask of Truth. I read that before when Atlus USA uploaded it on YouTube, but it's also in the game and it does contain spoilers for the very game.

Early game spoilers? If not, yes I will skip it. I thought the intro for Deception was good in that regard.

Shizuka

Early game spoilers? If not, yes I will skip it. I thought the intro for Deception was good in that regard.

Early game spoilers for sure, since I'm eight hours in and I just realized something from the intro spoiled me. There are a few other tidbits that I'm sure will be spoilers for the mid/end game.

Stenlock

Neo Member
Ending spoilers:
Man, that post-credit scene. Seeing Kuon like that was heartbreaking...

At this point I am also curious to see how Haku and Nekone are goint to get along from now on.

Can't wait to jump into Mask Of Truth.

Since Parakeetman is banned and nobody has any off-site contact information for him, I'll be taking care of the Utawarerumono Mask of Truth OT since the game releases Tuesday.

Parakeetman, if on the off chance you see this you'd like to get in contact with me hit me up on Twitter @dandycrocodiles.

Posted in the OT volunteer thread.

bigedole

I REALLY hope this game goes on sale next week. I'm probably going to break down and pay the full price for MoD just so I can play MoT quickly after release

I finally plat'd the game.
The dream matchs were a nice challenge but I wish there were more of them.

Overall I like this game a lot! I didn't expect to grow attached to the tactical RPG gameplay but I found it very well made. There isn't much depth but it's fun to hit QTE for critical.
My only regret is that I watched the anime before playing the game... Even if there are a lot of differences, I already knew most of the story. I saw someone saying that it would be better to watch the anime first, so I assumed the game was some kind of sequel to the anime...
That didn't stop me from getting all emotional at the end but yea... a bit disappointed... At least I won't make the same mistake with the second game.
I pre ordered it as soon as finished this one, I'm very eager to know what's next!

I saw someone saying that it would be better to watch the anime first, so I assumed the game was some kind of sequel to the anime...
That didn't stop me from getting all emotional at the end but yea... a bit disappointed... At least I won't make the same mistake with the second game.
I pre ordered it as soon as finished this one, I'm very eager to know what's next!
What you saw was people recommending that you watch the anime adaptation of Utawarerumono 1 first! :p
This is the second game in the series, with the third releasing Tuesday.

Jimrpg

How far am I in the game? I just captured
Moznu and made him wear a dress.

Game clock says 15 hours.

Jimrpg

I'd like to say 35%, maybe more.

Ah feels about right, doesn't seem like the main plot has started really. Have to say the first anime and this game seems worlds apart. The anime didn't take long to get started on the plot but Mask of Deception puts all its energy into its cast of characters.

Also got Ururu and Saraana now.
Kinda feel dumb I never guessed they were the mysterious duo. Sigh!
Now I can bust open Mask of Truth and make use of the pillow case.

There's a few already, actually

You find things like this: (Ign Spain)

Utawarerumono: Mask of Turth is, once again, a mediocre visual novel riddled with sexual (and barely related) content that makes almost imposible to feel confortable playing. Once again the combat system is forgotten by dozens of hours of dialogue making Mask of the Truth only accesible for true lovers of the franchise.

Funny thing is, the same extract in spanish, and how is actually written on the site, is like this :
De la misma manera que su primera entrega Mask of Truth sigue siendo un producto exclusivo para amantes de la visual novel y para aquellos dispuestos a perderse entre paja erótica sin sentido y puro fan-service

If you understand spanish, that blackened sentence could be perfectly written by a 12 year old.

Now, I'm not usually the type to bother with reviews, but with special cases like this one, I don't see what's the point in giving the review to someone that clearly doesn't like the genre (or doesn't even understand it); his opinion not only isn't useful for someone that likes the genre, like me; it isn't useful for someone that might be interested in knowing more about the genre, considering that the reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about really.

Can these sites stop giving visual novels to people who are obviously more happy playing straight action games?

That and stop giving people sequels to review when they haven't even played the first game in a heavily story focused series. Same shit with the Kiseki series, where people didn't play the first game in an arc and went to SC or CS2 and half their review was wondering wtf was going on. You'd know if you bothered to play the first game.

A little historical context is important here, because as you might have guessed, I have not played either the Japanese-exclusive original nor the first part of the duology.

Probably the easiest way for me to immediately write off your review.

Shizuka

Just for reference:

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception (Vita) - 2582 MB
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (Vita) - 3268 MB

Jimrpg

Finished at 30 hours. Loved everything about this game. Going to take a little break and finish some other games first before getting into Mask of Truth.

Top Bottom