• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception - |OT| Underwater Ray Romano

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Some good posts here from folks who had completed the game. Nice to see too that it looks like how they did the ending is paying off with getting you all excited for the next title in anticipation lol.

One good thing is even with as simple as the SRPG mechanics were in this game, they took what was existing and improved slightly even further in Mask of Truth. Granted we have no idea what they will be doing next with the genre, its good to know that they are still working on making things better for the gameplay mechanics.

The most highly appreciated thing they did was cut down on the in battle event stuff which helps when replaying maps to gain exp. That was one complaint with this title as they had left everything in the way it was as if you were playing the battle for the first time wasting a bunch of time with having to skip the event voice / text.

Parakeetman

Taken from the JP site zip file DL of icons for sized for twitter.

gzbyIds.png

http://aquaplus.jp/uta/itsu/images/special/twicon/UtaItsu_twicon.zip

Tohsaka

I'm glad they didn't animate Mask of Truth. It'll be nice to go into it fresh, since I watched the anime adaption of this one before playing it due to thinking it had no chance of getting localized.

I admit that if I knew that an anime adaptation of the 3rd game was coming, then I'd probably hold off buying it, like in the case of Steins;Gate 0 were an anime has already been announced a while ago. And considering how well done the first Steins;Gate anime was adapted, I'd rather wait.

OceanBlue

I'm glad they didn't animate Mask of Truth. It'll be nice to go into it fresh, since I watched the anime adaption of this one before playing it due to thinking it had no chance of getting localized.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't watch all of the anime but I knew most of what was going to happen. Game was still great but I'm really looking forward to going into the sequel blind.

Sorry guys but i have 2 questions since i'm trying to get the platinium trophy :

What's the max level ?

How do i break moznu axe ? <-- i don't understand this one

Sorry guys but i have 2 questions since i'm trying to get the platinium trophy :

What's the max level ?

How do i break moznu axe ? <-- i don't understand this one

Lvl 50 is the max, you need to do the majority of postgame to get there. To break his axe you need him to use his ultimate on someone which makes his axe break and appear behind the person, which you can then destroy.

Lvl 50 is the max, you need to do the majority of postgame to get there. To break his axe you need him to use his ultimate on someone which makes his axe break and appear behind the person, which you can then destroy.

Much thanks.

I actually managed to make him use his ultimate but i didn't have much forces left when it happenned so i totally didn't realise his axe was there.

Yeah as others said its pretty much a non issue.

Hah, my copy arrived recently and it is pretty much a TV/monitor interface scaled down to Vita which I find disappointing - the text in the UI and menus (even the main menu!) are comically small relative to the 5" screen (the button prompts for START and SELECT are literally as small as it can be), and the dialogue text is just about large enough to seem readable.

It's a shame Aquaplus didn't put much consideration into the portable format. Vita exclusives like Persona 4, Trillion, Gravity Rush and Danganronpa have interfaces and text sizes/fonts that look great and are easy on the eyes on the 5" display.

So yeah, while I can just about read it comfortably without feeling the eye strain (Atlus' choice of font isn't so easy on the eyes in a small size) it could have been implemented better.

Nitpicking over!

Parakeetman

It's a shame Aquaplus didn't put much consideration into the portable format. Vita exclusives like Persona 4, Trillion, Gravity Rush and Danganronpa have interfaces and text sizes/fonts that look great and are easy on the eyes on the 5" display.

Blame Atlus USA since it looks fine with the JP ver. They aint responsible for poor font choices or other things related to localization.

Blame Atlus USA since it looks fine with the JP ver. They aint responsible for poor font choices or other things related to localization.

The UI (menus, HUD) is still tiny though, you have to hold the Vita pretty close to your face to play the game because of it. The best handheld HUDs are designed around the smaller screen and don't just shrink down an interface made to look great on 40" TVs and large PC monitors.

But yeah, I think it's a poor font choice by Atlus USA, I'm surprised as they usually get these things right. As for the localisation, I have already seen lines which just don't sound right in English.

Early on in the story:

"My head is splitting too... Probably related to the empty stomach."

I don't think anyone deprived of energy would exclaim about "the empty stomach", or think about it in those words.

Managed to put in about five hours so far this week while traveling. I'm loving the atmosphere and characters so far, and I think the writers have nailed the right balance of serious, plot progressing scenarios with light-hearted comedic ones. Sometimes combining the two in one. That stuff is great, and entertaining even when things feel reliant on tropes.

And while there is the odd awkward line in the localisation, I can't complain about 99% of the dialogue. The name changes I'm fine with too, they pretty much ensure better pronunciation if you were to read in English which is a nice bonus (Rulutieh instead of Rurutie etc)

As for the impossibly tiny HUD, it's still small but my eyes have adjusted, it's just been a long time since I've played Vita games with non-scaled interfaces. Shame it isn't bigger but it is what it is.

Think I still have a mission or 2 left in post game, but I can say that some of these missions are really well done in just how much they screw you over if you make the wrong move or placement at the start. I feel like I'm basically at the point though that it would be a BP grind the keep progressing, because
Munechika
and her 8200 health along with a dozen other hard hitting enemies, means that most of them are able to one shot most of my guys with my current stats.

I did finish the platinum at least, even if I don't finish with post game. Overall I would say post game is a pretty good experience in terms of the srpg element for the game, just you will not get there if the VN element turns you off.

Just a heads up - the opening movie for the next game is awesome but also seems rather spoilery. Maybe I'm just reading too much into some things but hmm...

Spoilery for those that didn't finish this game or for people waiting for the next one?

The latter.

I mean, it's Aquaplus' choice if they want to go spoiling their own game, and sure, it isn't an unheard of practice to put late game stuff in VN openings, but even so.

I'm probably reading too much into the specific thing I noticed, but still...

Edit: It's worth noting that ATLUS USA's trailer they have up consists of much of the opening, but excises the section I'm referring to.

Anyone got tips for leveling up maroro ? He was abesent most of the game but now leveling him up is a total pain .
( i'm trying to get the do all the chain skill trophy )

Any advice ?

Anyone got tips for leveling up maroro ? He was abesent most of the game but now leveling him up is a total pain .
( i'm trying to get the do all the chain skill trophy )

Any advice ?

Have you done the mission later on in the game where you get him back? If so you only need to raise him 1-2 levels (he starts at 16 for that I think?) past that point so he has his full chain attack. He doesn't gain a final strike or anything and can't even be used in any missions past that or in post game.

I hate
Nekone
since the very beginning to the very end.

i didn't like nekone , then i was forced to watch her attack animation a bunch of times since she deal great damage ( attack and heal in the same turn o_O ) so with time i became numb ).

She is still responsible for the foolishest decision made by a rpg character in the current decade.
Now i think i like her more than maroro ( i trully don't like the guy ).
I'll admit that she was great when mikazuki or ostor was nearby

Have you done the mission later on in the game where you get him back? If so you only need to raise him 1-2 levels (he starts at 16 for that I think?) past that point so he has his full chain attack. He doesn't gain a final strike or anything and can't even be used in any missions past that or in post game.

Wait , he doesn't ? lol so i don't need to bother at all with him , then GOOD TO KNOW

Ps: i'm in the dream matches now , on the way to Lv 50 ... i hate that everyone has a "escape death" item on them

Wait , he doesn't ? lol so i don't need to bother at all with him , then GOOD TO KNOW

Ps: i'm in the dream matches now , on the way to Lv 50 ... i hate that everyone has a "escape death" item on them

Nah he sucks and they know it lol, which is why they made him worthless and barely able to learn anything.

jonjonaug

Nah he sucks and they know it lol, which is why they made him worthless and barely able to learn anything.

I really like what they pulled with the pure magic characters in this game.

Early on you have Maroro, who's attacks are very strong but he's only in a few levels. So you think "oh, I guess I'll get him back later".

And then instead of getting Maroro back you get the twins who are like 10x stronger and the most broken thing in the game. When you do get Maroro back in your party for a bit later on he's become weaker than most of your team.

Parakeetman

i didn't like nekone , then i was forced to watch her attack animation a bunch of times since she deal great damage ( attack and heal in the same turn o_O ) so with time i became numb

Spoiler tag the section below the quoted in your original post should be pretty obvious why.

Remember other folks have yet to play the game due to wanting to wait till the 2nd half of this 2 part series comes out.

So just be considerate and dont go spoiling things for other users.

Spoiler tag the section below the quoted in your original post should be pretty obvious why.

Remember other folks have yet to play the game due to wanting to wait till the 2nd half of this 2 part series comes out.

So just be considerate and dont go spoiling things for other users.

my bad . i'm usually pretty good with these but i've made a mistake

Figured this is as good a place to ask as any: is Tears to Tiara II worth playing?

Still replaying battles, etc. to get the platinum, but really want more.

Figured this is as good a place to ask as any: is Tears to Tiara II worth playing?

The writing isn't as good as in this game, but Tears to Tiara II is a good game and a far meatier one in terms of combat than Utawarerumono.

desmax

Yeah. I do like it how there's a clear conflict right at the beginning of the game.
It does lose steam over time.

But there's certainly more battles than in this game.

Tohsaka

Yeah, I liked it a lot. There are more battles in that game and they are more difficult in general than the ones in this. The game itself is a lot longer in general from what I remember.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I liked it a lot. There are more battles in that game and they are more difficult in general than the ones in this. The game itself is a lot longer in general from what I remember.

One thing for sure is that game had one of the longest intros Ive ever played through lol.

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat the game, 28 hours. Good lord what an ending.

Is it September yet? No? Well, fuck.

Also Nekone, why.

Finished this yesterday, I was basically glued to it from start to finish whenever I had a spare moment.

The last 10 hours were a heck of a ride. So yeah, roll on September. Though is there any reason why Amazon (US) has the Vita version listed for the end of November? Hope it's still out on September 5.

Parakeetman

Finished this yesterday, I was basically glued to it from start to finish whenever I had a spare moment.

The last 10 hours were a heck of a ride. So yeah, roll on September. Though is there any reason why Amazon (US) has the Vita version listed for the end of November? Hope it's still out on September 5.

Good question the ohp just has coming soon listed for the release date.

Didnt look at the E3 teaser trailer again yet.

aravuus

Still a while to go until FF XII HD is out and I don't feel like finishing P5 just yet, so I bought this and I'm downloading it right now. Hope I like it!

e: at the very least I really like how it looks and sounds. Nice effects and UI and such.

jonjonaug

I talked to a guy at the Atlus booth at AX regarding the release date, mentioning the conflicting information. He said that they don't actually have an official date, but are looking to get it out before the end of the year.

So yeah, "coming soon" sounds about right.

I talked to a guy at the Atlus booth at AX regarding the release date, mentioning the conflicting information. He said that they don't actually have an official date, but are looking to get it out before the end of the year.

So yeah, "coming soon" sounds about right.

Oh please no

If there's one game my heart can't take a delay of, it's this.

Top Bottom