• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

Giolon

XiaNaphryz said:
Pretty much. I did my part in purchasing the first one, why should I have to buy it on a different platform with a change of direction I don't particularly care for in the hopes that it gets another console version funded? All the engine work's been done for the first game, making another title should therefore be cheaper to begin with. And we all know the profits for VC2 would be going towards recouping it's own development costs first and foremost, never mind this "fund the franchise' BS.
All I was doing was passing on what SEGA said in that regard. However, if VC2 doesn't sell, maybe SEGA decides VC1 was an anomaly and it's not a franchise worth investing further into - period.

VC2 may be a direction I didn't want the series to go, and I may not fully support it, but I think there will be enough there to like that I can get enjoyment out of it - and I hope that it will merely be a stopgap until a game I can really, truly love will be released again.

braves01 said:
So, are all the maps really small and connected by a shitty checkpoint system, or was that just the demo?
I don't agree with the implication that it's shitty, but the size of an individual map area is constrained by the PSP hardware. Impressions I've read or heard on podcasts talk of up to 6 areas in a single mission, adding significant complexity.

Part of the issue with moving troops between areas is mitigated by the fact that you can now deploy a unit and then immediately move it instead of having to wait a turn for them to show up.

SlickVic

No more saving mid-mission in VC2 according to the podcast. Depending how much shorter these missions it may not be a big deal, but I always enjoyed that VC1 let you be very OCD with saving after every turn so you could reload the turn if one thing went wrong. :lol

DonMigs85

SlickVic said:
No more saving mid-mission in VC2 according to the podcast. Depending how much shorter these missions it may not be a big deal, but I always enjoyed that VC1 let you be very OCD with saving after every turn so you could reload the turn if one thing went wrong. :lol
Lol you know, I was thinking that if VC ever got Trophies one of them would involve not saving and reloading a single turn for every chapter in the game.

Spiegel

DonMigs85 said:
Peace Walker only sold 20K copies total to this day? The PSP is doomed indeed

No, PW sold 52k in June not counting games bundled with the console or digital downloads.

Still, the game bombed badly in NA/Europe

SlickVic

I thought Peace Walker sold 50k in it's first month in the US not including PSN sales. Not sure if that number included copies sold in the PSP bundles either.

edit: beaten

May16

Giolon said:
face_juliana_sullen.jpg
Reviews -- Here's what the "professionals" are saying:

• Famitsu - 9/9/9/8
  • GameInformer – 8.5
  • RPGFan – 88%
RPG Land "Very Good"

This is a recommended purchase for players of the first game for sure. More of that quickly-becoming-classic Valkyria battle system is definitely a good thing.

Spiegel said:
No, PW sold 52k in June not counting games bundled with the console or digital downloads.

Still, the game bombed badly in NA/Europe
Dude, 50k is pretty great for a handheld game. Even a console game isn't gauranteed to reach that. And that was just June, you say? So like, a little under two weeks? That's a pretty good number...

anddo0

SlickVic said:
I thought Peace Walker sold 50k in it's first month in the US not including PSN sales. Not sure if that number included copies sold in the PSP bundles either.

edit: beaten

We're at the end of August, it should be closing in on 100K in NA.. I'm not sure where that 20K total number is coming from.

jiggle

i can still remember when ppl were excited by the prospect of VC on PSP
during the E3 montage mistake
and the Famitsu fake

had they made this as a side/gaiden game
and given the new direction, it kinda looks like one
i wonder what the receptions would've been

put me on the boat of "nots"
don't like the character arts
with FFXIV coming out,
not even enough time to play KH:BBS, let alone this travesty

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giolon said:
All I was doing was passing on what SEGA said in that regard.
Which was ridiculous to begin with. All they're really trying to do is get close to breaking even on the PSP version as best they can given recent PSP sales numbers and VC being more of a niche genre.

Regardless of how VC2 sells, it still isn't a good indicator of how it would sell on the PS3. There's a lot more variables than that. And given development schedules, if Sega's even thinking about a VC3 they're likely in pre-production at the very least right now.

onken said:
Surely NOT buying the handheld version would be a clearer message to put VC on consoles :D
While this makes sense, we are dealing with Sega unfortunately.

I read recently that Sega registered a Valkyria Chronicles 3 domain name in JP. Have been reserving my PSN funds for VC2 for a while now. I was hoping that with all the praise the original got, there would be more people excited about this. Oh well, their loss I guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
anddo0 said:
We're at the end of August, it should be closing in on 100K in NA.. I'm not sure where that 20K total number is coming from.

Memory was fuzzy. You're right. NPD sales thread is 52K for the debut month (June). That's DISMAL for a PSP install-base of ~1-5 million?

I think it sold even worse than Metal Gear Portable Ops?

PSP games now a days aren't going to make cash. I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt VC2 is going to bank. Sega'll be happy with sales, but I doubt it's going to sell well. Niche + on a pirate-happy-platform = not gonna fund a sequel, even if Sega was to be believed (which they aren't).

daoster

So these sections for VC2...are they like the Sakura Taisen one where you can fly off to different areas of the stage?

TheBear

I would've bought it Day One, except that Sony fucked me over with their shitty rules against using entropay after spending hundreds of dollars on the US PSN (I'm in Australia).

May16

Impressions I've read or heard on podcasts talk of up to 6 areas in a single mission, adding significant complexity.
This is pretty rare, though.
Once you get past January, *most* missions average about 3 areas.

The ones with more can get pretty tedious, as your limit of deployed soldiers still remains at 6 people.

No more saving mid-mission in VC2 according to the podcast.
Indeed. No mid-battle saving and only 1 save file per playthrough. (When you select "save," it just starts saving, rather than asking which slot to use.)

Ricker

Pre-ordered almost since it was announced since some PSP games are hard to find around here and if they give me the runaround like for Ys 7,i`ll just download it from PSN...and if it sells more on the PSP then it did on PS3,why would they switch it back to PS3? :D ;)

Giolon

TSA said:
Cleared (Normal Difficulty): 44hrs 36mins 23secs. 10 hours longer than VC 1 for me.

Not bad. That was around my VC1 clear time. Any opinion on how it stacks up to the first game?

Takao

Banned
TheSeks said:
Memory was fuzzy. You're right. NPD sales thread is 52K for the debut month (June). That's DISMAL for a PSP install-base of ~1-5 million?

I think it sold even worse than Metal Gear Portable Ops?

PSP games now a days aren't going to make cash. I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt VC2 is going to bank. Sega'll be happy with sales, but I doubt it's going to sell well. Niche + on a pirate-happy-platform = not gonna fund a sequel, even if Sega was to be believed (which they aren't).

There's something like 15-20 million PSPs in the US. Yes, the debut month for PO was higher than PW, but PO didn't have a digital release alongside it. Nor did PO come at a time when everyone was certain the platform was dead, and wasn't worth investing in.

Niche games do work on the platform. NISA has said this, and it's why they localize more PSP titles than DS ones (that and the fact NIS only works on the PSP, and PS3 at this point). They have small budgets, and are almost always localizations. It's low risk, and since these niche games have somewhat of a dedicated fanbase, they do sell well for what they are. Those sales may not exactly be NPD Top 10 numbers, but if at the end of the day it made money, it made money.

May16

Quixzlizx said:
Mid-battle saving is weaksauce, although I think scrubs should have the option to do it.
"Crap, I'm playing this portable game on the train I take to work and the PSP's notoriously weak battery's gonna die...might not make it through the 8-hour work day on sleep mode...awww craaaap, and this battle was going so well >_<"

Not having a mid-battle save in a game whose battles can take as long as Valkyria's is silly, and it additionally strikes a blow to its portability -- especially considering that the PSP is an internet browser, music player, video viewer, and so on. Wanna switch functions? You're screwed, finish that battle first (even though you have no idea ow long it will take).

Giolon

May16 said:
"Crap, I'm playing this portable game on the train I take to work and the PSP's notoriously weak battery's gonna die...might not make it through the 8-hour work day on sleep mode...awww craaaap, and this battle was going so well >_<"

Not having a mid-battle save in a game whose battles can take as long as Valkyria's is silly, and it additionally strikes a blow to its portability -- especially considering that the PSP is an internet browser, music player, video viewer, and so on. Wanna switch functions? You're screwed, finish that battle first (even though you have no idea ow long it will take).

If you have a PSP Go you can suspend the game and turn the system off or do something else with it...but then you'd also be stuck with a PSP Go. ;)

Quixzlizx

May16 said:

Hey, I said you should have the option.

DonMigs85

Takao said:
There's something like 15-20 million PSPs in the US. Yes, the debut month for PO was higher than PW, but PO didn't have a digital release alongside it. Nor did PO come at a time when everyone was certain the platform was dead, and wasn't worth investing in.

Niche games do work on the platform. NISA has said this, and it's why they localize more PSP titles than DS ones (that and the fact NIS only works on the PSP, and PS3 at this point). They have small budgets, and are almost always localizations. It's low risk, and since these niche games have somewhat of a dedicated fanbase, they do sell well for what they are. Those sales may not exactly be NPD Top 10 numbers, but if at the end of the day it made money, it made money.
Exactly. Working Designs managed to stay afloat during the Sega CD era after all, which was an impressive feat.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
May16 said:
This is pretty rare, though.
Once you get past January, *most* missions average about 3 areas.

The ones with more can get pretty tedious, as your limit of deployed soldiers still remains at 6 people.

Is 6 people the max you can have deployed throughout the whole game? VC varied per mission but it was almost always higher than that.

Indeed. No mid-battle saving and only 1 save file per playthrough. (When you select "save," it just starts saving, rather than asking which slot to use.)

That really kills it for me like I said I needed a guide for VC and every attack heck every movement counted in that game so I would create new saves/reloads like crazy. Is this another hardware limitation or something else entirely?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Thank Christ. I might actually be able to enjoy playing a game and talking about it on here without your incessant micro-bitching cluttering up the thread.

o_O

What'd I do?? Heaven forbid I'd want to know things about a game prior to release be they good or bad! Is this cause of Bayonetta or something? Why would ya complain about someone complaining about something in a thread about a games price? It wasn't the games |OT| or anything! I dun even post alot in threads! I get in at the start (like now), once I get the game give an impressions and ask a questions or two, and when I'm done a game complete post. Sheesh! I can't help it if we share common interests in many things Segac! Anyways enjoy talking while you play or w/e cause I'm oughta this thread unless I do get the game which even then wouldn't be until long after the fact.

Shouldn't you guys buy the game (or not) on the basis of whether or not you think you'll enjoy this game and not for some hypothetical sequel that may not even see the light of day for a couple years?

That said, looking forward to this.

Lindsay said:
o_O

What'd I do?? Heaven forbid I'd want to know things about a game prior to release be they good or bad! Is this cause of Bayonetta or something? Why would ya complain about someone complaining about something in a thread about a games price? It wasn't the games |OT| or anything! I dun even post alot in threads! I get in at the start (like now), once I get the game give an impressions and ask a questions or two, and when I'm done a game complete post. Sheesh! I can't help it if we share common interests in many things Segac! Anyways enjoy talking while you play or w/e cause I'm oughta this thread unless I do get the game which even then wouldn't be until long after the fact.
I've just never seen you talk about a game at all without heavily complaining. It makes me wonder why you buy so many games that you're sure to dislike. Like, you obviously have a thing against SEGA, but you buy every game they put out. It's weird.

Omiee

Seda said:
so much work goes into these OP's and no one reads them!

haha sorry i was looking for it but couldent find it.
but i gotta get it than if its not over priced like 40 euro or something

SlickVic

Augemitbutter said:
oh yes, finally! no more cheating. play well or die.

I thought it was a really good feature in VC1. Yeah you could use it to be cheap, but some of those missions were definitely long, and it was good to know you could take a break in the middle of it if you needed to. Like I said before, the mission length may be a lot shorter for VC2 so may not be a big deal here, but I always praised the original for the smart save system.

SlickVic said:
I thought it was a really good feature in VC1. Yeah you could use it to be cheap, but some of those missions were definitely long, and it was good to know you could take a break in the middle of it if you needed to. Like I said before, the mission length may be a lot shorter for VC2 so may not be a big deal here, but I always praised the original for the smart save system.

yea, the missions don't seem that long. can't you go into sleep mode when you need a break anyway?

Lain

No mid battle saving sucks.
It was a great option in VC1 which was balanced by the long load time you had to endure if you wanted to abuse it.
Sure PSP has sleep mode, but that's not the same thing, as you are forced to finish the mission (or restart it from the beginning, I suppose) if you want to do anything else with your PSP.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think I'll pass and try Kingdom Hearts instead. I liked the first one, but I don't know if I want more. I really enjoyed the story of the first game... are any of the characters back in this one?

Volcynika

Adam Prime said:
I think I'll pass and try Kingdom Hearts instead. I liked the first one, but I don't know if I want more. I really enjoyed the story of the first game... are any of the characters back in this one?

There are some cameos with the original English VAs, but that's all I know about them.

May16

Melhisedek said:
I read somewhere that game is about 200 hours long. Please don't tell me its mindless filler
It depends how many side-interactions with other characters you do and even moreso, how many battles you fight. If you ooonly fight the bare minimum
15_pieces_of_flair.jpg

then the game will be much shorter. But if you grind any, or fight battles for the class-advancement badges, then yeah, it's a long haul. Made longer by post-story content. You can definitely beat the game at level 25, but the meter goes up to 50.

I beat it in about 120 hours, and a buddy of mine was around 60 as of June (midway through the story) so on the same pace. Guy in this thread beat it in like 45 though. @_@

Giolon

Awww, some mod drive-by murdered the tagline. Couldn't you have just left it at "BUY IT!"? :(

In any case, the tagline was half a joke. Some of you guys take things way too seriously...sheesh.

Top Bottom