• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This makes zero sense. Do you have a point?

I guess you're just mad every game isn't for you. What a weird way to showcase it.
He only believes people who play and churn though a bunch of different games are the real "hardcore" gamers, and not people who primarily play a single game or two.

Basically the dudes playing 1000s of hours of Civ since the 90s are a bunch of causals, but the guys playing every flavor of the month AAA game are the real hard core.

brian577

Banned
I've given up hope for HL3 but I would love to see Valve make something new and unique, something akin to the next Portal. They used to be ahead of the curve, now they're just making "me too" games.

Forkball

I had this idea years ago and though Valve would make a ton of money if it came into reality. The prophecy has come true.

I wonder if this will hit mobile. It would be the first Valve game outside of Steam if it happens.

Faynwulf

A card game is exactly what one would expect Valve to do next. It's the perfect game to generate easy money. It also doesn't need a huge team to create new content. Sounds pretty interesting from the details of it.

Why are there so many dislikes on youtube for it? Because it isn't HL3 or L4D3?
No one in their right mind would still expect HL3 from them. If you expected L4D3 I can better understand the disappointment. I still think we'll get it sooner or later.

jetsetrez

A card game is exactly what one would expect Valve to do next. It's the perfect game to generate easy money. It also doesn't need a huge team to create new content. Sounds pretty interesting from the details of it.

Why are there so many dislikes on youtube for it? Because it isn't HL3 or L4D3?
No one in their right mind would still expect HL3 from them. If you expected L4D3 I can better understand the disappointment. I still think we'll get it sooner or later.
Nobody cares if it's easy money for a rich corporation. People care about the product that they will get to play.

BKW7JLi.gif

hey is there gameplay footage

dota has a good roster of characters and this seems like a neat way to interact with them without having to play dota

Yukinari

Pretty sure theyre gonna monetize card packs, character icons, and card backs similar to Hearthstone.

Theyll probably throw in some other cosmetic like board weather effects and shit like Dota 2 has.

CD Projekt RED better release Gwent sooner than later :

This space is starting to get crowded.

it's already in open beta and the story mode is going to seperate it a bit so i wouldn't worry

Pretty sure theyre gonna monetize card packs, character icons, and card backs similar to Hearthstone.

Theyll probably throw in some other cosmetic like board weather effects and shit like Dota 2 has.

honestly the hats and effects and announcer packs all seem cool (even if they're kind of predatory with their scarcity and pricing) and potentially being able to engage with that stuff sounds exciting

I just don't really consider playing one or two games, competitive or otherwise, "teh hardcorrzz", especially considering a lot of those kids have only been gaming for 5-7yrs. They're also not athletes, but that's a different topic.

This is the most inane post I've ever read.

90% of the responses seem to be "Why would valve waste there time on this?" and yet it's like no one follows industry trends...

the digital card game boom is more popular than ever, they have a hugely popular moba with a massive library of characters and they have a hugely successful marketplace.

This is a brilliant decision from valve and it amazes me it took them this long.

traveler

Not Wario
The reaction in the arena and the field in front of the big screen to this was total disappointment btw lol. And this is from the hardcore dota fanbase. Like, I'm sure it'll be a competent game, but I'm not sure that's good enough. Much like mobas- you can't just be even in quality when showing up late to this type of hardcore genre, since you're fighting entrenched properties that have fans not only through their depth of knowledge but also substantial financial investment- you have to notably better or substantially different. I tinkered around with HS and looked at the game from the other magic pros that I can't even remember the name of but ultimately decided it made no sense to play any of these games when Magic is better than all of them and is perfectly capable of taking any time and money I feel like investing in a card game. As someone who loves both ccgs and Dota, I really wish Valve was doing something else.

The reaction in the arena and the field in front of the big screen to this was total disappointment btw lol. And this is from the hardcore dota fanbase. Like, I'm sure it'll be a competent game, but I'm not sure that's good enough. Much like mobas- you can't just be even in quality when showing up late to this type of hardcore genre, since you're fighting entrenched properties that have fans not only through their depth of knowledge but also substantial financial investment- you have to notably better or substantially different. I tinkered around with HS and looked at the game from the other magic pros that I can't even remember the name of but ultimately decided it made no sense to play any of these games when Magic is better than all of them and is perfectly capable of taking any time and money I feel like investing in a card game. As someone who loves both ccgs and Dota, I really wish Valve was doing something else.

I do think there's a niche to be filled, as MTG's online system isn't very good and Hearthstone is just an unbalanced RNG clusterfuck. An actually balanced and competent online TCG has potential.

PooBone

"Valve announces...... " got me really hyped. In a fraction of a second I went from "oh shit, sequel? New franchise" to "scroll."

Dec

Somebody on Reddit posted some details. Don't know if any of it's true, but it certainly sounds different from other card games.

Reddit comment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...ame_artifact/dlcx6b7/?st=j64e1pjt&sh=4c663b04

It's all true because it was said right after the announcement by the person who announced it.

I probably wont play this but "card game" is kind of an open descriptor that a lot of people think means "heathstone-like".

Why would Valve make a Hearthstone-like? Do they seem like the developer that would do that?

It isn't just Valve either. That Runescape card game is as different from Heartstone as you can get but it has still been called a Hearthstone clone a bunch.

Brakke

Banned
Valve and Blizzard should just fuck already and clear all the sexual tension out of this room Jesus Christ guys.

tbh I'm always down for a Brad Muir game

As someone who enjoys Gwent, can I ask why the reaction is so bad?

Edit: Ohh, it was teased as a new Valve game and people thought it was a bigger genre

90% of the responses seem to be "Why would valve waste there time on this?" and yet it's like no one follows industry trends...

the digital card game boom is more popular than ever, they have a hugely popular moba with a massive library of characters and they have a hugely successful marketplace.

This is a brilliant decision from valve and it amazes me it took them this long.

I agree.

It is just disappointing that Valve is now just following industry trends. They used to push the envelope and SET the trends which others would follow. Compared to the Valve of 10 years ago, things are quite different. Valve freaking set the standard on how to tell a story in first person games. They were the first to support their modding community at such a large scale, which gave them Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Day of Defeat. They raised the bar in how you could animate characters in Half-Life 2 (seriously, it took YEARS before any other company would come close to Valve's facial animation tech). They made one of the best co-op games with Left 4 Dead, and broke everyone's brain with Portal with its puzzles and fantastic writing.

In my opinion, Artifact is unlikely to break new grounds, but it probably will make Valve money if it's decent. I think Valve is really banking on their VR games to be the next wave of their innovation, so I'm holding out hope for that. In addition, there may be other stuff in progress, so who knows. I was always super excited about the SciFi game they were working on until they canned it.

Top Bottom