• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces DotA 2

Pooya

dota2_onesheet_bloodse669i.jpg
dota2_onesheet_linagu9h.jpg
dota2_onesheet_morphli069l.jpg

dota2_onesheet_drowran9us6.jpg

DaBuddaDa

Seeing those characters rendered like that makes me so fucking happy :D :D

Although I always thought Bloodseeker would be a little more... piggish/beastly?

Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends are more fun to me than Starcraft 2, so anyone who thinks people won't move from Blizzard has another thing coming.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never played DotA before, but anything from Valve is an insta-buy. Colour me excited.

derFeef

Oh gosh. I am not sure I can go back to DotA but I LOVE their takes on improving the community.

Also artstyle :-o

Slightly disappointing. Was hoping for something new. Hopefully more will be announced closer to the game's release. I want new heroes, new maps, different game types, shit that will make it different.

ultron87

fudgey_lumpkins said:
You couldn't be bothered to write what DOTA means in either the Thread title or the OP?

I think the OP was just following Valve's lead in not considering it as an acronym for anything. :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
At intermediate and higher levels of play, having a poor player on your team who dies frequently is worse than fighting with a man down, as the opposite team gets gobs of gold for picking off the newbie. This has fostered a legendarily newbie-hostile attitude within large swaths of the DotA community. As fun and rewarding as the game is when you're in a match of appropriate skill level – and it can be one of the very best experiences in gaming, without exaggeration – finding those matches has always been a nightmare. It doesn't help that the game is so intense that Valve had to institute a "no talking about the match for an hour afterwards" rule for its internal playtests. The recent commercial titles that more or less cloned DotA have ameliorated this to some extent, but it is still often a huge problem.

Damn, sounds like they aren't dumbing it down to appeal to a larger audience. :lol

JaseC

CommieCaptorS said:
Was this meant to be surprise #2? Each to their own I suppose,

Surprise #3 is the first trailer for Episode Three following Portal 2's credits
Believe! .... :(

Boonoo

EmCeeGramr said:
Well that's cute, but tell me about the hats that these heroes obtain and wear.

Sounds like someone needs to read between the lines!

"in-game rewards for participating in the Dota 2 community"
beautiful silken flowing glimmering majestic hats
"including improved global lighting and true cloth simulation"

Most of the community related features are just the type of creative solutions that might make the "dota" community decent. We'll see if they have any effect though.

The only part that worries me is that there's no mention of dedicated servers.

Xater

Pinko Marx said:
Slightly disappointing. Was hoping for something new. Hopefully more will be announced closer to the game's release. I want new heroes, new maps, different game types, shit that will make it different.

This is Valve, it will happen in the future of the title. Remember what TF2 looked like at launch?

Smash88

Banned
Valve + DoTA + I loved playing League of Legends for a bit = Must buy for me to satiate my ADD gaming appetite. :lol

fudgey_lumpkins said:
So Dota doesn't mean anything? I just assumed it was an acronym. My mistake.

I was an acronym, but its become like KFC now, to where the acronym has more recognition than what it stands for, so the acronym becomes the name.

fudgey_lumpkins said:
So Dota doesn't mean anything? I just assumed it was an acronym. My mistake.

Yes. DOTA is Defense of the Ancients. I would assume Valve doesn't have rights to that name, so they're calling it Dota 2.

JaseC

Pinko Marx said:
I was an acronym, but its become like KFC now, to where the acronym has more recognition than what it stands for, so the acronym becomes the name.

:lol

zoku88

I can't believe there are people who don't know what DOTA is, even if you have never played it.

Do you guys just not play any PC games? (Although, if you don't, I would wonder why you were in a Valve thread.)

DaBuddaDa

Dota stands for "Defense of the Ancients," the Warcraft III mod that this game is based on. Defense of the Ancients is almost exclusively called "Dota" though, so instead of Valve calling this sequel "Defense of the Ancients 2," they just named it "Dota 2."

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i wonder what the new tf2 hat will be :eek:

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
If I recall correctly, there are two different trademarks. One for 'Defense of the Ancients' and one for 'DOTA'. Valve applied for the later.

Draft said:
I don't see why. It's not like TF2 dominated the FPS scene to the detriment of other FPS games.

League of Legends will live on by virtue of being free to play and playing differently. HoN on the otherhand is dead as a doornail. I feel bad for S2 since HoN is a really polished game. :(

Also guys Jon St. John (aka DUKE NUKEM) is doing voicework for this game.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Honestly, I find it pretty disappointing. That is seems to be more DOTA Source + Social Site. Than some interesting new take on it.

Draft said:
I don't see why. It's not like TF2 dominated the FPS scene to the detriment of other FPS games.

The analogy doesn't carry over. FPS is a wide and varied genre, to story-driven games like Half-Life, to competitive arena games like Quake. HoN, LoL, and DotA, on the other hand are all direct competitors in the same genre.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Amazing news but

BobsRevenge said:
I want to know more specifics about any anti-douche implements being put in place.

this is the only thing I actually care about. It doesn't matter how much better this game is, only whether I can actually play this one without contending with a hive of raging cunts.

Draft said:
Yeah but it killed Fortress Forever and any other attempt to replicate Team Fortress Classic in a modern form, which is essentially what LoL and HoN were trying to do with the original DOTA.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DirtRiver said:
Hope it's free. Or really really cheap.

Any ingame screens released?

It will probably not be free. I foresee it as a fully fledged $50 game.

And only CG art was revealed.

JaseC

Archie said:

Valve isn't Activision. Unless there's a boatload of stuff we don't know about, the justification simply isn't there.

DirtRiver

Archie said:

And only CG art was revealed.

But when you have League of Legends for free, and this being a full fledged clone of the original game, can you really charge 50 bucks for it?

It's not like there will be an enormous amount of people that are going to buy it day one, except hardcore DoTA fans and Valve fans. And in a game like this, it is really important to appeal to the newcomers because lets face it, DoTA can be pretty fucking brutal.

Probably gonna do the same thing I am gonna do with Portal 2: Buy them in sales

Draft

Pinko Marx said:
The analogy doesn't carry over. FPS is a wide and varied genre, to story-driven games like Half-Life, to competitive arena games like Quake. HoN, LoL, and DotA, on the other hand are all direct competitors in the same genre.
Yeah, I guess that is true.

duckroll

There are a few ways I see Valve selling this:

a) Bundle deal with Portal 2 for PC.

b) 5-packs at a much lower price, like L4D2 and Borderlands 4-packs.

c) Free fully featured demo release with limited maps and heroes, with an unlock to the full version whenever you want while retaining all stats and characters.

Top Bottom