• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces DotA 2

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah but it killed Fortress Forever and any other attempt to replicate Team Fortress Classic in a modern form, which is essentially what LoL and HoN were trying to do with the original DOTA.
LoL is rather different from HoN and by extension DOTA 2 as well. I am sure people who like LoL will probably have trouble with DOTA 2 and would prefer to stick with that they know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dark_inferno said:
Ehm.. L4D2?

Although there are plenty of those who say L4D2 is different enough to L4D to justify releasing it as a standalone, full-priced title, since I haven't played it, I'll just say it's (apparently, as far as you seem to be concerned) the - as yet - sole exception to the rule.

Edit: Duckroll surmises the position of those who fall into the former quite well.

Twig

Banned
Hmm. I was expecting Dota, obviously, but was hoping for more... uniqueness from its predecessor.

Ah well. That art is damn pretty. WE'LL SEE.

Decado said:
I take it this game is essentially an online RTS?

In a way. Except theres no base building or anything like that. You control one hero that you level up and buy items for through killing the opposing team's minions, or other enemy heroes. The game is fiercely competitive and teamwork is a MUST.

FatalT

Banned
I'd rather just play League of Legends to be honest. Heroes of Newerth already tried this exact same thing and if I was going to play that I might as well just play DotA. At least LoL is something different.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This is actually a bold move. Expectations were much more along the lines of a streamlined, more accessible Valve-style sequel. But this is a direct grab for the 8 million player base of DotA, the huge group that hasn't been dented by HoN and LoL despite the success of both. As they touch upon in the article, because of this choice Valve is going to have to break new ground with its community features for this to work for the general PC gamer population without everyone running kicking and screaming in the other direction after being verbally abused for being a feeder.

For being a direct copy of DotA, this is quite a challenging project overall.

duckroll

dark_inferno said:
Ehm.. L4D2?

What about it? I paid 30 bucks for it (4 pack pre-purchase on Steam), and it has more content than L4D1 and everything in it is brand new. Is that supposed to be a bad deal? :lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
EviLore said:
This is actually a bold move. Expectations were much more along the lines of a streamlined, more accessible Valve-style sequel. But this is a direct grab for the 8 million player base of DotA, the huge group that hasn't been dented by HoN and LoL despite the success of both. As they touch upon in the article, because of this choice Valve is going to have to break new ground with its community features for this to work for the general PC gamer population without everyone running kicking and screaming in the other direction after being verbally abused for being a feeder.

That is exactly why I'm excited. I never played DotA, but I love HoN but the community is quite simply the worst on the internet. If Valve is able to make it so that I can have a pleasurable experience with strangers, they deserve all the praise in the world.

duckroll said:
What about it? I paid 30 bucks for it (4 pack pre-purchase on Steam), and it has more content than L4D1 and everything in it is brand new. Is that supposed to be a bad deal? :lol
Don't acknowledge the stupid people and they'll probably go away.

mr_nothin

Banned
duckroll said:
Is it so hard to click on the link and read the first few paragraphs before posting?
Why yes....YES IT IS. The link wont load.
Now let me ask you, is it so hard to help a fellow gaffer out by answering his question?

I read what people quoted here and I still dont get wtf Dota is. I'm reading stuff about posting on forums will give you a good standing and stuff....sounds weird.

FatalT

Banned
Archie said:
*If you want to grind thousands of matches to unlock all the heroes.

Then buy them. If you can't handle playing the game to unlock more content then why are you playing in the first place? To have fun? Obviously you aren't if you can't have everything.

Cirruss

I've been thinking, what are the chances that this isn't a standalone release?

What if all Valve were doing all along is making an Orange Box 2. So that it would be possible for Episode 3 + Portal 2 + Dota 2 to all be released together.

It would look similar to the composition of the Orange box now , with a HL epsiode, single player focused game (Portal) and a multiplayer game (TF2)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
FatalT said:
Then buy them. If you can't handle playing the game to unlock more content then why are you playing in the first place? To have fun? Obviously you aren't if you can't have everything.

Then it's no longer free.

I like LoL as a game, but abhor Riot's business model.

hitlerat said:
How about a console version?
With PSN Steam, it would be great.... Move support ++
jZNZv.png

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
In 2011 I'll be playing Cataclysm, Dota2, Torchlight 2 and more on the PC. I might as well put my consoles on ebay now. Christ... I can't wait for this game.

DaBuddaDa

mr_nothin said:
I read what people quoted here and I still dont get wtf Dota is.
Wikipedia said:
Defense of the Ancients (commonly known as DotA) is a custom scenario for the real-time strategy video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents' Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters called "creeps". As in role-playing games, players level up their heroes and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.

The scenario was developed with the "World Editor" of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, and was updated upon the release of its expansion, The Frozen Throne. There have been many variations of the original concept; the most popular being DotA Allstars, which eventually was simplified to DotA with the release of version 6.68. This specific scenario has been maintained by several authors during development, with the current publicly anonymous developer known as "IceFrog" developing the game since 2005.

Since its original release, DotA has become a feature at several worldwide tournaments, including Blizzard Entertainment's BlizzCon and the Asian World Cyber Games, as well as the Cyberathlete Amateur and CyberEvolution leagues; Gamasutra declared that DotA was perhaps the most popular "free, non-supported game mod in the world".

There you go. Its website can be found at http://www.playdota.com/

JaseC

Cirruss said:
I've been thinking, what are the chances that this isn't a standalone release?

What if all Valve were doing all along is making an Orange Box 2. So that it would be possible for Episode 3 + Portal 2 + Dota 2 to all be released together.

It would look similar to the composition of the Orange box now , with a HL epsiode, single player focused game (Portal) and a multiplayer game (TF2)

I can't see Valve stealth-releasing what is arguably going to be their biggest game since HL2 itself. There's no way Valve are going to talk about Episode Three prior to the release of Portal 2.

Chavelo

To be included in The Black Box...

BELIEVE, BITCHES!

Oh man, my WoW/LoL guildies are gonna flip when they hear this...

JoeMartin

EviLore said:

This is precisely why I didn't expect it to be a straight port of DotA. Coming to grips with the gameplay is about as hardcore as games come, not to mention when you throw in global stats on a match-based team-dependent level everyone becomes batshit retarded if they aren't winning (the HoN phenomenon).

Very balsy by Valve indeed.

Mrbob

I think Episode 3 is dead. Valve will announce Half Life 3 in the future. No one will care that Episode 3 didn't officially materialize after HL3 is announced.

Archie said:
It will probably not be free. I foresee it as a fully fledged $50 game.

Could be a cost, but imagine the influx of extra steam accounts Valve could get with a FREE, NEW Dota game on Steam.

Charge for in game items.

Dennis

Banned
EviLore said:
This is actually a bold move. Expectations were much more along the lines of a streamlined, more accessible Valve-style sequel. But this is a direct grab for the 8 million player base of DotA
wat? Really?

I had no idea it was this huge. Thats a crazy number.

EviLore said:

Yeah, what's ridiculously ambitious about this is that Valve is attempting to take over a massive fanbase AND make a famously shitty fanbase into a good one by using matchmaking and encouraging good behavior.

A developer successfully controlling and improving its game's community in that manner would be just wholly unprecedented, and a really fucking big deal.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
mr_nothin said:
Why yes....YES IT IS. The link wont load.
Now let me ask you, is it so hard to help a fellow gaffer out by answering his question?

I read what people quoted here and I still dont get wtf Dota is. I'm reading stuff about posting on forums will give you a good standing and stuff....sounds weird.
I honestly don't understand how a person can post on GAF and not know what DotA is.

Volcynika said:
I know what DOTA is, but I've never played it, so I could give this a try.

DotA and its derivatives have notoriously bad communities, which is why I largely stay away from them. I'm looking forward to playing DOTA2, though.

Xater said:
DOTA is not really a RTS. Personally I always think of it as a tactical action RPG.
I think a more apt comparison for DOTA is that it is essentially Smash Bros. in 3D with unrecognizable heroes and vastly different controls.

Jenga

Banned
Cheeto said:
wtfisthisshit
if only valve would see the light and drop the pc for the future that is move and kinect

hopefully when all their projects die off like tf2 and CS:S valve will go console only like everyone else

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
LoL is a DotA clone but it has a lot of important differences and is free to play, I think it will stay afloat. HoN is a DotA remake though, and DotA 2 is also a DotA remake - HoN is fucked unless Valve really screws this up.

Really bummed about this though. They're calling it a sequel and yet they're changing literally nothing about the gameplay at all? Very disappointing. The reason I don't play DotA/HoN and rarely play LoL is because the game is such a huge chore when you lose, for all sorts of reasons intrinsic to the game itself:

1. It's extremely team oriented and one weak link can ruin everything(infamously terrible community problems start here).
2. Slippery slope means that the more you start losing the more frustrating the game gets.
3. Long game times mean that a bad game feels like a complete waste of your time.
4. Impossibly steep learning curve generally scares away all players that aren't mega-nerds to begin with.

It's like the perfect storm of nerd rage all packed into one game.

JaseC

Chavelo said:
To be included in The Black Box...

BELIEVE, BITCHES!

Oh man, my WoW/LoL guildies are gonna flip when they hear this...

The Black Box has been and gone. Originally intended for a retail release, it was instead relegated to the Radeon HD 2900 series of cards. To this day, opening the box to the 2900XT I had purchased for my new PC to find a key for The Black Box is one of the best surprises ever.

DaBuddaDa

I don't expect Valve to bundle this and Portal 2 together in a new "box." They would be missing out on a lot of revenue in doing that. Back when the Orange Box came out, Portal was an unknown property that most probably didn't expect to become as huge as it did, and Team Fortress 2 also wasn't guaranteed to become as big a hit as it did. Those two games needed to be bundled with Episode 2 to give them more exposure. Dota and Portal 2 don't need that kind of support to sell.

f0rk

Archie said:
*If you want to grind thousands of matches to unlock all the heroes.

I hope they haven't even looked at LoL so they can keep all their shitty 'enhancements' out of it. LoL is just evidence how far price and a levelling competent can take an inferior product (compared to HoN).

Top Bottom