• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces DotA 2

f0rk

GregLombardi said:
I agree with what you're saying here. That's why they NEED to consider what League of Legends did. There are improvements there to the gameplay that feel like the right direction for the series.

Like what? They removed skill based features and added levelling / unlock components that affect game play way too much.

I'm interested in how good the matchmaking really will be; whenever it's listed as a feature for a new game it's never quite the revolution promised imo.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
RocketDarkness said:
Hey you should probably shut up. 150%+ more content? Totally the same.

L4D2

5 campaigns (23 maps)
2 new finale types (Destination-based, Scavenge)
New Versus Mode (Scavenge)
4 new characters
2 new Shotguns, 3 new rifles, 1 new pistol, 10 melee weapons, 1 new grenade, 3 new health-pack slot items, 1 new pill item.
3 new playable Special Infected
Drastically improved AI Director
New gibbing system
5 Uncommon commons

And a gnome.

Volcynika

RocketDarkness said:
Hey you should probably shut up. 150%+ more content? Totally the same.

L4D2

5 campaigns (23 maps)
2 new finale types (Destination-based, Scavenge)
New Versus Mode (Scavenge)
4 new characters
2 new Shotguns, 3 new rifles, 1 new pistol, 10 melee weapons, 1 new grenade, 3 new health-pack slot items, 1 new pill item.
3 new playable Special Infected
Drastically improved AI Director
New gibbing system
5 Uncommon commons

Hm, I wonder who instigated the L4D2 thing in this thread!

Adding in AI substitution has the secondary effect of making lossing matches a lot shorter. The losing side no longer needs to sit through a 40 mins of domination, they can just quit out and look for a new match(as bad as that sounds)...

blitz64

Sho_Nuff82 said:
GI link isn't working for me, what kind of game is DoTA?

I just made a new gaming PC, I might want to try it.

For people who are interested in Dota Today. Play LoL, it a free dota clone game.
www.leagueoflegends.com

Then there's HoN, Heroes of Newerth. A $30 game that is very similar to Dota. HoN has all the exact same items as Dota2. It has about 50% of the same heroes. So playing HoN prepares you for Dota2 more so than LoL.
www.heroesofnewerth.com

Boonoo

webrunner said:
Also, I thought "Drow" was WOTC owned? After all no other major company touches that name, right? They always say "dark elf" or "night elf" or somesuch, careful to make sure their drows aren't drow.

Other way around. Drow is the generic (from folklore and D&D) with Night Elf being the Blizzard specific.

As far as pricing goes, I could see 20$ pretty easily. That seems to be the standard mid range pricepoint for Valve (TF2, CSS, Portal).

webrunner

derFeef said:
I just noticed that the logo is the map layout.

Because blizzard makes so original designs. Just compare Zerg to Tyranids and there you go.

Well, yeah, but you can make a direct, legal case against Valve's DOTA that you can't against Blizzard's obvious-but-no-absolute-proof wholesale Warhammeritude. There's a game with designs, which had a map made for it using those designs, and now a full game is being made with updated versions of those same designs.

Look at it this way: the designs they're officially basing Dota2 on aren't Dota designs they're Warcraft designs. Starcraft marines are "officially" Blizzard designs, even though everyone knows they're based on Warhammer.

webrunner said:
Well, yeah, but you can make a direct, legal case against Valve's DOTA that you can't against Blizzard's obvious-but-no-absolute-proof wholesale Warhammeritude. There's a game with designs, which had a map made for it using those designs, and now a full game is being made with updated versions of those same designs.

Look at it this way: the designs they're officially basing Dota2 on aren't Dota designs they're Warcraft designs. Starcraft marines are "officially" Blizzard designs, even though everyone knows they're based on Warhammer.

Valve is smart enough to avoid this. They're a big enough company to know what they're doing.

To anyone wondering what DOTA is, I'd recommend you start by playing the following free game which has a pretty nice ramp up in difficulty and skill level:

http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/index

LeagueOfLegends.jpg

Don't start with Heroes of Newerth unless you know how to play the basic game, as you'll walk away pretty quick. H0n itself is a fantastic cap on the series though, and I play that regularly as well.

VaLiancY

Here is to hoping a Scandinavian letter won't crash my game, that the chat service isn't shot the fuck up and champions(whatever they're called in DotA) aren't broken out the gate because lack of testing.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Shanadeus said:
I think that a DOTA for SC2 has a better chance at capturing all the DOTA WC3 players.

It already exists. It's called Storm of the Imperial Sanctum. Thing is it's not nearly as popular as you might think. Based on where it tracks on the custom game list, I wouldn't doubt it if fewer people play it than any of the clones or on WC3.

webrunner

Pinko Marx said:
Valve is smart enough to avoid this. They're a big enough company to know what they're doing.

I don't doubt it, but given the art we have and such, I'm curious to know what that is.

ZealousD said:
It already exists. It's called Storm of the Imperial Sanctum. Thing is it's not nearly as popular as you might think. Based on where it tracks on the custom game list, I wouldn't doubt it if fewer people play it than any of the clones or on WC3.

The thing a lot of people seem to forget is that a "sure thing" sequel/reimagining/whatever isn't always such: the big popular things tend to be new ideas, like the original dota, massive improvements like WoW was to everquest, or revivals such as Team Fortress 2. Coming out with a new generation of the same thing doesn't necessarily grab the older generation unless they have a reason to jump ship or are conditioned to want something new (such as Halo/CoD players). DoTA fans are not conditioned to want something new, or else they wouldn't still be playing one warcraft 3 map.

MjFrancis

ultron87 said:
Also, it is weird that they are calling it DOTA 2 and not Defense of the Ancients 2. I guess the acronym is more recognizable anyway.
Thanks, I've been seeing DoTA 2 on all sorts of RSS headlines and I was beginning to wonder why the fuck I should care about this acronym. Some further clarification after this post was also helpful. It's a Valve project, so I'm definitely interested, though woefully out of the loop, apparently. At least as far as Blizzard projects or mods go.

derFeef

webrunner said:

They are obviously going to adjust the heroes to the new style. But my point is that a knight on a horse is still a knight on a horse. Valve is smart and skilled enough to avoid such stuff.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
it's truly amazing how far a simple Warcraft 3 mod has come.

it's now spawned not one, but three games.... one of which coming from fucking Valve of all places. pc gaming is nuts i tell you... :lol

derFeef

EmCeeGramr said:
Uh "Warcraft" means World of Warcraft, DUH.
Yeah and it even has that blonde knight in it. Legolas or whatshisname.

crimsonheadGCN said:
5 games: HoN, Demigod, LoL, DOTA 2, and the one published by Funcom.
Bloddline Champions is nothing like dota. Beta is quite nice.

Painraze said:

it's now spawned not one, but three games.... one of which coming from fucking Valve of all places. pc gaming is nuts i tell you... :lol

5 games: HoN, Demigod, LoL, DOTA 2, and the one published by Funcom.

Odrion

Banned
So now we have three games that are pretty much identical to each other (DOTA, HON, DOTA2)

League of Legends may be a buggy piece of shit with a bunch of amateurs and lunatics behind the wheel, but at least their champions are all original and the game plays differently than DOTA.

This right here is the best quote from the article.

Valve founder and boss Gabe Newell thinks that ongoing service and value creation over a game's lifespan is the new reality of game development. "IceFrog was one of the smartest people we've ever met about doing that, and he was doing it with both hands tied behind his back, so to speak," Newell says. The company plans on approaching Dota 2 with the same dedication that won it the fanatical devotion of the Team Fortress 2 community, pushing out dozens of updates that do everything from adding new hats to fixing balance issues to introducing entire new match types for free

Hats? In my DotA?

I hope they have a set price. Include all heroes and none of this charging for DLC heroes bullshit like in LoL. HON has free updates, even if they take a while.

With the support and pockets of Valve I expect this to surpass HON as soon as it's out. Unless they royally fuck up somehow.

derFeef

a176 said:
No one has asked this yet?

How does Valve plan on circumventing Blizzard IP?
What blizzard IP?

Painraze said:
Yeah the character designs look like slightly mutated WC3 characters. it will be interesting to see if that causes any kind of trouble.

I give up, guys. Warcraft (3) was the first fantasy game in history obviously.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
a176 said:
No one has asked this yet?

How does Valve plan on circumventing Blizzard IP?

Yeah the character designs look like slightly mutated WC3 characters. it will be interesting to see if that causes any kind of trouble.

They have been working on this for awhile now. Disappointed that we didn't get a gameplay video or at least 1 in game screenshot.

Twig

Banned
Painraze said:

This is the least surprising thing of all.

Counter-Strike.

Day of Defeat.

Team Fortress.

sflufan

Banned
It's not like Valve hasn't dealt with bad communities before...I mean, they already have the Counter-Strike community so how bad could it be?

Einherjar

I'm semi-excited, but after playing LoL I couldn't really get back into the DotA mechanics and HoN. I keep trying to return to base with 'b' and the shop item layout is pretty bad in comparison.

But I have a feeling I'll probably play DotA 2 over LoL. Something about HoN just didn't click with me I guess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I played HoN for a bit, and found the amount of content VERY daunting. I was kind of hoping that wouldn't be the case with a Valve-run DotA, but I'm a little worried.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
sflufan said:
It's not like Valve hasn't dealt with bad communities before...I mean, they already have the Counter-Strike community so how bad could it be?

The Dota community is probably, bar none, THE worst gaming community there is. And that's mainly due to how the game is played. If Valve can make any headway into cleaning that community up, then they've pulled off a miracle.

HK-47 said:
I heard there was a game before World of Warcraft.
Uh, what, World of Warcraft 0? WoW Begins? I don't know about any other game.

That Starcraft II game looks cool though, but I was expecting it to be World of Warcraft in space. They should make a game like Starcraft, but with Warcraft characters!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
sflufan said:

There is no comparison.

Top Bottom