• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Cancels Portal 2 E3 Event; Promises Surprise

MedIC86

this wont end well..........

How much as i want to believe its actually something we want...i doubt it..

Gabe announcing steam new partnership with hello kitty online :(

Foliorum Viridum said:
Errr says who? Episode 1, 2 and 3 were originally going to make up Half-Life 3 according to Valve, so...

I am pretty sure that that is a total misquote of what Gabe says that has been flying round ever since.
If i remember correctly, what he said was that sometimes he feels they shouldn't have bothered doing the episodes (they did say it was an experiment after all) and just rolled them in to 1 big game and called it HL3. It think he also said something along the lines of "or HL2: Episodes" or something.

V_Ben

Banned
Remember Guys, the EA press conference is on June 14th too. Valve is part of EA partners, and they used E3 to unveil the new L4D survivors at the EA conference all that time ago. It could either be at the MS conf or the EA conf.

derFeef

MedIC86 said:
this wont end well..........

How much as i want to believe its actually something we want...i doubt it..

Gabe announcing steam new partnership with hello kitty online :(

Stop being a HL fan pls. Jesus.

V_Ben said:
Remember Guys, the EA press conference is on June 14th too. Valve is part of EA partners, and they used E3 to unveil the new L4D survivors at the EA conference all that time ago. It could either be at the MS conf or the EA conf.
Yes, we have two chances for getting disappointed ;)

Kamakazie! said:
I am pretty sure that that is a total misquote of what Gabe says that has been flying round ever since.
If i remember correctly, what he said was that sometimes he feels they shouldn't have bothered doing the episodes (they did say it was an experiment after all) and just rolled them in to 1 big game and called it HL3. It think he also said something along the lines of "or HL2: Episodes" or something.
Well, either way, that still invalidates maniac-kun's claim :p

KAL2006

Banned
V_Ben said:

If there is going to be a Half Life Ep 3, I have know doubt it will be announced at Microsoft conference. MS will want to taunt Ep 3 as a huge exclusive.

Valve output is slow but always delivers.

I find it hard to believe I will be disappointed by anything they show, unless they're not developing it.

:lol My God people. This is why everyone gets so disappointed after E3.

I love Half Life as much as the next guy but I just don't see anything major happening with Episode 3. I mean Valves full attention right now is on getting a full priced Portal 2 out there by Fall/Winter. I don't think they'd want to shifts people focus from the game to Episode 3.

V_Ben

Banned
KAL2006 said:
If there is going to be a Half Life Ep 3, I have know doubt it will be announced at Microsoft conference. MS will want to taunt Ep 3 as a huge exclusive.

Probably. But what's to say that it's an exclusive? Valve is notoriously quiet with announcements. :D

"Hopelessly Optimistic"

MDmERp3hyBZG.jpg

FZTPdifQaNtO.png

derFeef

That comic thing is just their way to put the lambda logo in their games. Look at francis hair in L4D for example.

MNC

• Portal 2 demo for all people who own Portal 1 FROM BEFORE the free sale. Neeeeeeaaaaato :D
  • Episode 3. Not by a long shot even though I want it :(
  • I'm guessing Steam demo or something.

derFeef

V_Ben said:
Remember, there's also valve's 3rd project. from that guy who made that... tower defense game was it?
They hired IceFrog, who made the famous DotA mod for Warcraft 3. They already said there will be an announcement soon some months ago. Could be.

kodt said:
PURPLE BOX Episode 3, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source 2

My expert speculation on this matter is that kodt is mostly correct. It's likely called Orange Box 2 though, and it contains what should be considered Half-Life 3 rather than Half-Life 2: Episode 3. The content of the game is more akin to a full game than an "episode", but its name could go either way. Also, it's probably just going to be Counter-Strike 3.

Pooya

Half life 3 with new engine is going to be a MEGATON, Valve's return to cutting edge graphics will be glorious. I hope this is the surprise.

Whatever the "surprise" announcement is, it will not be bigger news than Portal 2. It's probably the engineer update based on the video above. Even a new counter-strike would be bigger news than Portal 2. Still could be the icefrog game or maybe even an official announcement for the Black Mesa mod to thank those guys for all of their (free) hard work. But Portal 2 is Valves big news and they wont be announcing anything bigger then that.

rezuth

Jin34 said:
Highly doubtful until next gen consoles are around the corner.
Highly doubtful they will make a new engine from scratch at all, they will just keep evolving Source as they see fits.
GoldandBlue said:
:lol My God people. This is why everyone gets so disappointed after E3.

I love Half Life as much as the next guy but I just don't see anything major happening with Episode 3. I mean Valves full attention right now is on getting a full priced Portal 2 out there by Fall/Winter. I don't think they'd want to shifts people focus from the game to Episode 3.
It's not like they just got one team :)

Veritas_

derFeef said:
That comic thing is just their way to put the lambda logo in their games. Look at francis hair in L4D for example.

Wait... what?

rup3bl.png

oh my god
All this time and I didn't see it.

V_Ben

Banned
Actually, the new engine thing could be something worth thinking about. By it's nature, Source is not a multiplatform engine. It's a PC engine that is ported to other platforms. What would happen is valve made their new engine a fully multiplatform engine? I'm talking PC/PS3/360/MAC/. That would give them a massive benefit in porting their stuff to all consoles. Think along the lines of Cry-engine 3. It would be huge. :D

rezuth

V_Ben said:
Actually, the new engine thing could be something worth thinking about. By it's nature, Source is not a multiplatform engine. It's a PC engine that is ported to other platforms. What would happen is valve made their new engine a fully multiplatform engine? I'm talking PC/PS3/360/MAC/. That would give them a massive benefit in porting their stuff to all consoles. Think along the lines of Cry-engine 3. It would be huge. :D
What are you talking about? Valve has PC, Xbox360 and Mac versions running side by side when they develop. Source must certainly is multiplatform.

derFeef

They are not going the new engine route, people. They have running source on 3 systems now pretty stable and so on. Source was meant to be evolved over time - and it certainly does.

V_Ben

Banned
rezuth said:
What are you talking about? Valve has PC, Xbox360 and Mac versions running side by side when they develop. Source must certainly is multiplatform.

yes, but it started off as a PC only engine. I mean an engine that was designed as multiplatform from day 1. Source certainly has improved over the years, But a whole new version of Source designed with multiplatform development as a focus would be amazing.

edit: but yeah, drfeef is right. They have a good thing going with the engine, and they're unlikely to go nuts with a new engine! :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm thinking a remake of HL1 is coming somewhere, maybe XBLA?

Would be cool if they had a HL1 remake, HL2 Episode 3, and Counter Strike in the Orange Box 2.

"Freeman" definitely resonates. :D Excited for whatever is next! Still, it's no "update radios in-game to allude to a sequel with cryptic freak science magic"

derFeef said:
It's also their way to put the number 3 on his hand, since his other hand has the proper five fingers and only the one near the lambda logo has the four-fingered cartoon hand necessary for his fist to make the number 3.

badcrumble said:
It's also their way to put the number 3 on his hand, since his other hand has the proper five fingers and only the one near the lambda logo has the four-fingered cartoon hand necessary for his fist to make the number 3.

Not really.

Left hand still has 5 fingers. Last one is just covered by a piece of broken glass.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm guessing this has been cleared up but is the actual june 14th event at the theater canceled? Or are they still doing the surprise at the theater?

Going by the message it sounds like the entire thing is off and this surprise will turn up out of thin air when we least expect it. Which if the case, would seem really really strange.

Wthermans

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
I'm thinking a remake of HL1 is coming somewhere, maybe XBLA?

Would be cool if they had a HL1 remake, HL2 Episode 3, and Counter Strike in the Orange Box 2.
Honestly if they do a HL1 remake, I will be pissed off. The BM Source team (albeit quite late) have been working for years only to have Valve come out of left field and overshadow their work. Maybe I'm a bit biased since a friend is one of the programmers on the project, but I just don't see Valve screwing over a mod team that's been faithfully devoted to reimagining one of their games.

Top Bottom