• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Cancels Portal 2 E3 Event; Promises Surprise

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
And after doing some reading it appears its a fan-page. Good or bad news depending on your perspective.

Kade

fcEyj.jpg

geebee

Banned
Aumann said:
all it means is that particular image is a fake, doesnt mean there wont be a surprise
True.

Man, Half-Life has got to be my favorite PC gaming franchise. Despite this, any announcement of Half-Life 3 on a new engine will make me cry as I'll definitely have to get a new PC. Either that or hope a decent Xbox 360 version is announced at the same time.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh yeah, I have a "screenshot" too! ;p

waowmh.jpg

But seriously, I'm jealous of people apparently getting quick email responses from Gabe. I think I tried emailing him like twice, but presumably because I asked an evil question (what would happen to Steam games if Valve went out of business) I don't think I ever got any sort of response, not even a "we can't comment on that" one.

FatBaby

Blizzard said:
But seriously, I'm jealous of people apparently getting quick email responses from Gabe. I think I tried emailing him like twice, but presumably because I asked an evil question (what would happen to Steam games if Valve went out of business) I don't think I ever got any sort of response, not even a "we can't comment on that" one.

lol, I've gotten responses to some pretty stupid stuff I've asked. Here is a sample:

original.jpg

Guess I am just lucky. btw, I am pretty sure that link in the e-mail doesn't work, if you wanna see the picture, you should be able to find it by doing a Google image search for Gabe Newell.

Minamu

Blizzard said:
When thepiratebay was going "out of business", people downloaded their entire torrent archive as a fail-safe. I'm pretty sure the same thing would happen with Steam even if wouldn't be as easy to coordinate. If one doesn't have any moral problems with that sort of thing, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Darklord

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious it's episode 3. They cancel a big game for what? New steam update? Also 2(not just the freeman teaser) previews in magazines(the other featuring a crowbar).

Valve have Portal 2 and Half-life: Episode 3. There isn't anything else people want or care about at this point. If it's Left 4 Dead 3 someone will probably peg a bottle at Gabe's head.

Darklord said:
I think it's pretty obvious it's episode 3. They cancel a big game for what? New steam update? Also 2(not just the freeman teaser) previews in magazines(the other featuring a crowbar).

Valve have Portal 2 and Half-life: Episode 3. There isn't anything else people want or care about at this point. If it's Left 4 Dead 3 someone will probably peg a bottle at Gabe's head.
What are you talking about when you say cancelled game? The Portal 2 event was cancelled, not a game. And what two magazine ads are you speaking of? The crowbar thing on page 9 was for the original release of Half Life 2 I believe, and the Freeman one is fake.

I'm still not sold that it will be anything beyond a Portal 2 related surprise, based on the wording of the email. It didn't sound like a surprise new game announcement to me.

Tyl3n0L87

Neo Member
Guys, don't get your hopes up over Half-Life 3 or Episode 3 or even Counter-Strike 2 :lol

I'm sure it'll still be related to Portal 2. And they're saying the cancellation of the Portal 2 event isn't the surprise... The surprise might simply be the fact that the event isn't canceled. :D

Again, whatever the surprise is it will not be bigger than Portal 2. They are not going to reveal anything that will overshadow portal 2. HL3/episode 3 and CS2 would be bigger news than portal 2.

Saty

I don't agree that Ep3, if addressed, will overshadow Portal 2. Sure, it may become the talk of the show but that's natural.
Portal 2 will still have everything going for it. Hearing that Ep3 is coming next year isn't going to change anything, really.

Besides, the longer they stay mum about it the more it will overshadow the other projects Valve are working on once it is shown.

Crazy guess: 2011 - Ep3 + Half-Life 3 in the same disc. HL3 starts after Ep3 end credits without waiting.

rezuth

I'm pretty surprised people have not recieved an email back from Gabe. I have sent tons of emails and gotten a response but maybe if you are using a hotmail adress sometimes it get caught in spam filters because of the ads included in the emails.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Saty said:
Crazy guess: 2011 - Ep3 + Half-Life 3 in the same disc. HL3 starts after Ep3 end credits without waiting.

It's been three years since Ep2, I'm pretty sure Ep3 has been scrapped/turned into HL3.

While all in the Orange Box, the fact that TF2, Ep2, and Portal all released simultaneously shows that a HL3/CS2 announcement would not adversely affect Portal 2's hype. In fact, it may boost it because more people will pay attention to the Valve conference/show.

Jackl

Either new IP or Halflife. Barring that maybe they feel financially secure enough to roll up some lame Steam conference Nintendo style. "We don't have anything to show you, but we're rich so who gives a fuck"

Personal Hope: Black Box, HL3+Portal2+New IP

Not counting on it though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this is it, guys. I can feel it. Trust me on this one, I have a feeling, you know.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jackl said:
Either new IP or Halflife. Barring that maybe they feel financially secure enough to roll up some lame Steam conference Nintendo style. "We don't have anything to show you, but we're rich so who gives a fuck"

Personal Hope: Black Box, HL3+Portal2+New IP

Not counting on it though.

Portal 2 is a full length stand alone release. Will people please stop requesting it be bundled into some package?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
Portal 2 is a full length stand alone release. Will people please stop requesting it be bundled into some package?
well, it's kind of Valve's fault. people's perceived value of HL, Portal and TF plummeted post-OB.

I mean, people will buy Portal 2 for full-price, but I don't think we're totally out of line in, if nothing else, just assuming Valve will make it part of some super-cool deal. We'll see. This could just be phase two of "reel them into the franchises with a good deal, then hit them with actual prices come time for the sequels".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rez said:
well, it's kind of Valve's fault. people's perceived value of HL, Portal and TF plummeted post-OB.

I mean, people will buy Portal 2 for full-price, but I don't think we're totally out of line in, if nothing else, just assuming Valve will make it part of some super-cool deal. We'll see. This could just be phase two of "reel them into the franchises with a good deal, then hit them with actual prices come time for the sequels".

Yeah, but Orange Box was a pretty unique situation. Neither Episode 2 nor Portal were the length of a full priced retail game, and Team Fortress 2 could only be played multiplayer. It was generous, but understandable that the three would be bundled together. They can, after all, be bought stand-alone on Steam anyway.

Bundling in Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 again was likely to help keep the Half-Life franchise relevant, especially to those gaming on the Xbox360 (and to some extent PS32) who might have lost interest in the franchise or have never played it. Again, generous, but not all that surprising.

In the end, Portal 2 is a full lengthed feature game, and outside of Half-Life 2 nothing in the Orange Box was of that calibre. Episode 3 is already guarentied to be longer than Episode 2, in my opinion, and I just think expecting it to be bundled with an already confirmed full length game is a bit silly.

BeeDog

Will Portal 2 still run on the HL2 engine, or have they scrapped it for something fresher? I mean, Team Fortress 2 looks good, but the games with more realistic settings (HL2 etc.) are starting to look butt ugly. I'm replaying HL2 right now, and IMHO, it doesn't hold up well technically and artistically speaking.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BeeDog said:
Will Portal 2 still run on the HL2 engine, or have they scrapped it for something fresher? I mean, Team Fortress 2 looks good, but the games with more realistic settings (HL2 etc.) are starting to look butt ugly. I'm replaying HL2 right now, and IMHO, it doesn't hold up well technically and artistically speaking.

Of course it'll be using Source. At the very least, the lighting system has been significantly improved, if the GI shots are anything to go by.

BeeDog said:
Are you playing the 360 version? A lot of people have replayed Half Life 2 and the graphics are still pretty great, technically it maybe doesn't hold up well but artistically it certainly does. And Episode 2 looks a lot better then Half Life 2, so maybe you should try that before saying the engine is outdated.

To answer your question, Portal still runs on the source engine I think, but I believe according to previews looks gorgeous.

@ The Dutch Slayer

Yeah, it is.

BeeDog

JaseC said:
Of course it'll be using Source.

Ah well, perhaps it was wishful thinking on my end. At least the Source Engine works with the Portal art style, but I really hope they change engine (or boosts the Source engine) for HL2: Episode 3/HL3.

Prophet Steve said:
Are you playing the 360 version? A lot of people have replayed Half Life 2 and the graphics are still pretty great, technically it maybe doesn't hold up well but artistically it certainly does. And Episode 2 looks a lot better then Half Life 2, so maybe you should try that before saying the engine is outdated.

To answer your question, Portal still runs on the source engine I think, but I believe according to previews looks gorgeous.

I'm running the PC versions. And, as said, my humble opinion, I don't think HL2 holds up that well anymore. But as you say, Episode 2 does look (much) better, but not good enough for something you expect in 2011.

EatChildren

BeeDog said:

Totally disagree with your opinion, especially in saying that Half-Life 2 doesn't hold up artistically (I feel it still leaves most games for dead in that area), but to answer your question 'yes' it is highly probably Portal 2 will used the next advancement of Source, and Episode 3/HL3 will probably do the same.

Source was specifically built as an engine that could be enhanced and altered over time with additional rendering capabilities without the need to build an entirely new engine from scratch.

But do note that Valve, much like Blizzard, have little interest in building a Crytek 2-esque engine, in that it blitzes everything on the market to the point where next to nobody can max it out on release.

Pikelet

I'm replaying HL2 right now, and IMHO, it doesn't hold up well technically and artistically speaking.

doesn't hold up well artistically? thats just dead wrong!

Technically you might have a point but if youplay on pc with ssaa and triple buffering at 1080p , it looks as good as most modern console games. If the improvement from ep 2 to 3 is as big as hl2 to ep2, then it will still look amazing. Insane image quality and incredible art makes up for the lower poly objects. I also prefer the slightly flat looking textures over the super shiny bullshit that you get in games like splinter cell.

derFeef

BeeDog said:

Technically? Maybe, physics are still great and the movement/shooting is sourcetastic fluid and smooth. But woah, artistically? HL2 still looks great because of it´s unique artstyle and leveldesign. I prefer it even today compared to games which try to put too much details into every little thing. EG the Black Ops screens. You can not see whats going on because everything has bumpmapping and specular and noise and whatnot, just for the sake of it. It´s hideous.

Twig

Banned
dygiT said:
This is both disheartening and encouraging.

WHAT DOES SOON MEAN

HOW SOON

EVERY TIME SOMEONE SAYS SOON I WANT TO SHANK A BITCH

AND NOW IT'S VALVE SOON?!

(outrageous reaction ahoy)

Pikelet said:
doesn't hold up well artistically? thats just dead wrong!

Technically you might have a point but if youplay on pc with ssaa and triple buffering at 1080p , it looks as good as most modern console games. If the improvement from ep 2 to 3 is as big as hl2 to ep2, then it will still look amazing. Insane image quality and incredible art makes up for the lower poly objects. I also prefer the slightly flat looking textures over the super shiny bullshit that you get in games like splinter cell.
Okay I love HL2, but... no, it does not look as good as most modern console games, technically speaking.

Artistically, of course, you are completely correct. Great style. In my recent playthrough (after the update), I was particularly fascinated with the ant lions. They just look so cool. O:

Top Bottom