• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Cancels Portal 2 E3 Event; Promises Surprise

BeeDog

Pikelet said:
doesn't hold up well artistically? thats just dead wrong!

Technically you might have a point but if youplay on pc with ssaa and triple buffering at 1080p , it looks as good as most modern console games. If the improvement from ep 2 to 3 is as big as hl2 to ep2, then it will still look amazing. Insane image quality and incredible art makes up for the lower poly objects. I also prefer the slightly flat looking textures over the super shiny bullshit that you get in games like splinter cell.

Alright, figured I could clarify my stance because I feel jumped for having a personal opinion. :lol

I like the design of the Combine and the main cast, nothing wrong with that stuff at all. I was mainly directing my "artistic" comment at the by-now lacking environments. Conceptually, the environments are great, but the way they're designed doesn't clash well with the technical limitations of the Source engine (at least in the way it's used in the main game). Take the entire Highway 17 chapter. All the environments on display there are barren and pretty polygon-starved in general, which makes the good enemy models stick out like sore thumbs. I'm just past the area where you get the crossbow for the first time, and that particular area is so bad-looking by today's standards (e.g. the ugly Combine force field, the plain grass parts etc.). I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. :p

Of course, the close-quarter levels are better looking (e.g. Nova Prospekt), but I also don't fancy the Combine shiny metallic barriers/textures all that much (an obviously highly subjective opinion), among other small niggles. That said, this is a highly subjective opinion, and I'm well aware that most people really like the art style/level design of this game. Different strokes I guess. :) I guess I should clarify that I'm speaking from a year-2010-stance, since the game was indeed very beautiful when it was released (I was there day one for HL2). I'm just questioning just how modular the HL2 engine really is.

I can't believe people want Episode 3 so bad, what about HALF-LIFE 3?

I'm not all that excited for another 5-6 hour game I can beat in a day like Episodes 1 and 2. If those take Valve 2 years to make, is Half-Life 3 going to take 6 more after that? It's become a freaking joke at how long it's been taking to make and regardless of how much I love Half-life (which is a lot), I can't help but say fuck that noise after all this time. Other developers don't act so shady about one of their most beloved franchises and Valve has gotten beyond the "lol just wait a little bit longer" phase, to the point of "haha oh well!".

Regarding E3, I expect continued milking of Left4Dead(complete with lame PR excuses) and an actually amazing Portal 2 example(that will superhype me).

deathberry

Neo Member
FunkyMunkey said:

I'm not all that excited for another 5-6 hour game I can beat in a day like Episodes 1 and 2. If those take Valve 2 years to make, is Half-Life 3 going to take 6 more after that? It's become a freaking joke at how long it's been taking to make and regardless of how much I love Half-life (which is a lot), I can't help but say fuck that noise after all this time. Other developers don't act so shady about one of their most beloved franchises and Valve has gotten beyond the "lol just wait a little bit longer" phase, to the point of "haha oh well!".

It's been working well enough for Blizzard so far. What's wrong with Valve doing it? They've ALWAYS deliver at the end of the day.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My guess is Ep 3 very soon and half life 3 or 4 next year on a new source engine that's multiplatform (pc, mac, linux ... maybe consoles) that's opengl and not directx!

Clearly i'm mad.

FunkyMunkey said:

Regarding E3, I expect continued milking of Left4Dead(complete with lame PR excuses) and an actually amazing Portal 2 example(that will superhype me).

Episode 3 is Half Life 3. I would not be surprised if they changed the name for Ep3 to HL3. The amount of time they have put into 3 and the statements that it has way more content then the previous episodes could indicate that they are gonna call it HL3 and be done with it.

Twig

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Episode 3 is Half Life 3. I would not be surprised if they changed the name for Ep3 to HL3. The amount of time they have put into 3 and the statements that it has way more content then the previous episodes could indicate that they are gonna call it HL3 and be done with it.
What statements?! How have I missed these statements?!?!

Pikelet

Alright, figured I could clarify my stance because I feel jumped for having a personal opinion.

I like the design of the Combine and the main cast, nothing wrong with that stuff at all. I was mainly directing my "artistic" comment at the by-now lacking environments. Conceptually, the environments are great, but the way they're designed doesn't clash well with the technical limitations of the Source engine (at least in the way it's used in the main game). Take the entire Highway 17 chapter. All the environments on display there are barren and pretty polygon-starved in general, which makes the good enemy models stick out like sore thumbs. I'm just past the area where you get the crossbow for the first time, and that particular area is so bad-looking by today's standards (e.g. the ugly Combine force field, the plain grass parts etc.). I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. :p

Of course, the close-quarter levels are better looking (e.g. Nova Prospekt), but I also don't fancy the Combine shiny metallic barriers/textures all that much (an obviously highly subjective opinion), among other small niggles. That said, this is a highly subjective opinion, and I'm well aware that most people really like the art style/level design of this game. Different strokes I guess. :) I guess I should clarify that I'm speaking from a year-2010-stance, since the game was indeed very beautiful when it was released (I was there day one for HL2). I'm just questioning just how modular the HL2 engine really is.

Fair enough. I agree with you to some extent about the highway 17 parts. However, i still think there are some really good looking parts of that, like some of the buildings.

i dont get whats wrong with the combine force-field though, looks fine to me.

The best looking parts where in the episodes though, obviously.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not Episode 3 and not important to console owners?

Engineer update.

kodt

Banned
EatChildren said:
Not Episode 3 and not important to console owners?

Engineer update.

this will be rather disappointing it seems. Anything less than HL3 or Ep3 will not live up to the hype.

butts said:
Black Mesa Source going official would be a pretty cool announcement I guess.
I'd be more excited about this than about Episode 3 or HL3, because we know those are happening eventually no matter what.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
HL3 or Counter-Strike 2 (doubt it because of CSS beta)...

and i would fuck the nearest hole.

If Episode 3 becomes Half-Life 3 I think the development time would be a lot longer then it is now looking at the time between Half Life 1 - Half Life 2.

Prophet Steve said:
If Episode 3 becomes Half-Life 3 I think the development time would be a lot longer then it is now looking at the time between Half Life 1 - Half Life 2.

I don't know about development time with certain things, but wouldn't a hacker stealing stuff and a new engine cause a longer development time? If HL3 uses Source, then I would think we'd be looking at a shorter development time.

Netrunner2k2 said:
I don't know about development time with certain things, but wouldn't a hacker stealing stuff and a new engine cause a longer development time? If HL3 uses Source, then I would think we'd be looking at a shorter development time.
Didn't know about the hacker, you're right about the engine part but I'm actually hoping for great improvements with the engine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Twig said:
Why the hell would engy update be a surprise?

You people.

Because its the last big class update, has been teased for awhile now, and has no official release date?

sflufan

Banned
EatChildren said:
Because its the last big class update, has been teased for awhile now, and has no official release date?

You don't use a platform like E3 to reveal a class update to TF2!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
EatChildren said:
Worth an E3 event? It would be much bigger news outside of the E3 timeframe.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
rezuth said:
It is going to be Counter-Strike 2

Ok, i wish this is true but ...why the hell would valve spend time to upgrade CSS ?

EatChildren

sflufan said:
You don't use a platform like E3 to reveal a class update to TF2!
Dance In My Blood said:
Worth an E3 event? It would be much bigger news outside of the E3 timeframe.

There is no event. The press event they were having has been cancelled, and that was originally only for demoing Portal 2 (plus whatever extras).

There is no big event for an announcement anymore. No platform for Gabe or Doug or whoever to stand on and yell to the masses some sweet awesome surprise while the curtains pull back to reveal Gordon Freeman jerking off.

The surprise has to come from elsewhere. Engineer update fits the bill. Might not be it, but it being so would fit the bill of a 'surprise', as we technically have no release date or details on its content yet.

"Surprise, the Engineer Update for Team Fortress 2 is now available for download!"

Twig

Banned
EatChildren said:
It still remains completely unsurprising because we know it's coming and coming soon (Valve soon).

Announcing the release date would not be surprising. It would be an announcement.

Also, they won't just up and release it. They said that after the soldier/demo update, they learned the whole event beforehand drew back many more players than the updates typically did, because they had that huge build-up and player participation in the update. They'll want to do that again, I expect.
Morbid Angel said:
that was

that was my point

it was a joke ;_;

I can't help but LOL at people thinking it's an engineer update.

Valve isn't that out-of-touch with reality to even consider E3 being a proper place to mention that AT ALL, except as a subpoint to their other announcements. And no, I don't give a shit how much you like TF2, it's not that popular.

LOL and fail abound here.

FunkyMunkey said:
I can't help but LOL at people thinking it's an engineer update.

Valve isn't that out-of-touch with reality to even consider E3 being a proper place to mention that AT ALL, except as a subpoint to their other announcements. And no, I don't give a shit how much you like TF2, it's not that popular.

LOL and fail abound here.
Engineer Update is a huge thing for a lot of TF2 players.

Everyone has just overhyped themselves and will be disappointed.

Twig

Banned
It doesn't MATTER if it's big to TF2 players. It does not fit the definition of "surprise." They said surprise.

That said, I freely admit that I am building this up in my head to something that will never come. Something big. I would not be surprised (DUR HUR) if their surprise was not surprising after all.

I don't often jump on the hype train, but I'm letting myself go for once.

It is fun.

dr_rus said:
No more Half-Life games from Valve! Surprise!

"Well the Combine lost and went home. We will miss Half-life greatly. But meanwhile in the story, Gordon and Alyx have a baby who grows up to be the test subject in Portal! Also, we are honored to announce we are working on Portal 2 Episode 1 and Left4Dead 2 Episode 1 as the beginnings of sporadic releases for the next 4 years. MONAYYYYcrap I mean quesitons?"

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
A Wii project would be a megaton so large it would destroy the internet.

I'm gonna go for a more reasonable guess of an official announcement of the Steam/Source Linux ports.

Also they're releasing the ICEbox, a Valve home console running linux.

Top Bottom