• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve likes the Wii, not so much the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG someone made a comment I disagree with - why don't I make fun of their personal life?

You guys are sad. Ad Hominem bullshit is pretty standard on messageboards, but this shit is 5th grade. His weight has absolutely nothing to do with his comments. Bitter fanboy tears?

jvalioli said:
That is pretty extreme. Sounds like Sony ran over his dog or something.
More likely Gabe despises multicore programming and the fact that the PS3 isn't a computer in a box like the 360, not to mention tools. I can't blame him for the distaste, but to say what he said is rather... ... off. Also, the Wii part is just plain wrong, isn't it?

PC -> PS3 - OMGWTFBBQ
PC -> 360 - ahhh, thanks Microsoft, for making it so easy.
PC -> Wii - LOL (not mocking performance, it's just a reeeeeally forgiving platform to code for)

Did he really say that? I've seen Gabe say some pretty outrageous stuff, but this seems extreme even for him. Can anyone else confirm he said this in Gameinformer? Not trying to be overly skeptical here, but it seems like something a guy in his position just wouldn't say.

I think what Gabe is really saying in this interview is:

"I love you Nintendo for giving me a piece of hardware I can spit out low-cost, single threaded games on. Change is a bitch, and I want no part of it."

Mr Toast

Real or not, those comments are funny :lol

The only thing that's not funny is the inevitable damage control and justification from fanboys on all sides.

But since Half Life 2 is coming out on PS3, more people will get to play it - as they should. And thats all that really matters in the end.

LJ11

They asked Gabe what he thought of the 360. He totally avoided the question and decided to bag on Windows Vista. Again this taken from TXB.

Gabe said:
Whats your oponion of the xbox360?

Gabe Newell says: Microsoft has so many problems with Vista; I wish they were focusing more on the thing that runs on hundreds of millions of PCs rather than six million proprietary clients. Vista really shows a lack of focus on making a better consumer platform. I came out of the Windows group, and right now, I'd go with a Macintosh as being a better solution for most consumers than a Vista-based PC. It's shocking to me. If you're an XP user, you're going to be more comfortable upgrading to an Apple than Vista. Vista is going to drive you crazy in terms of some of their interface decisions. Other than gaming, which is Apple's heel, almost everything else works better on a Mac. As somebody who used to live and die to make Windows succesful, that's super sad for me.

I don't even know if this stuff is true, but regardless I guess we could have fun with it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
yeah lets make fun of him because he bashed my precious console, the reactions of the sony fans is very similar to the reaction of the nintendo fans with the jeff gerstmann TP review.

and WOW at his comments, at least he is honest.

Surreal

Disaster on so many levels? I think he would be happy if they took the CELL and Blu-ray out, and bumped the price down to $400. Sony hasn't screwed up that much to say they're a total disaster in everything.

edit; Looking at his comments on Vista, I think we should take his opinion, make it 75% less sensational then look at it. He would have a decent argument then, but right now he's blowing everything out of proportion.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Bad_Boy said:
20060606-gabe_newell.jpg
Wait, Valve did Dark Messiah: M&M? He demonstrated the game at gametrailers.com if I'm not wrong. Oh, and :lol at the PS3 comments and the deviation about the 360

Amir0x

Banned
guys, let's not start this personal attack garbage on the dude's weight for saying some shit about a system. Come on, I thought we got past that with the Jeff Gerstmann crap. So, fair warning.

Sony has made 3 legitimate screw ups...all can be mended in the future:

1.Price (definitely will be fixed)
2.Online (most likely will be fixed)
3.Rumble (hopefully will be fixed)

LJ11

Can we even corroborate that he actually said these things? Does anyone else have this issue, or are we going by what some guy posted on TXB?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amir0x said:
guys, let's not start this personal attack garbage on the dude's weight for saying some shit about a system. Come on, I thought we got past that with the Jeff Gerstmann crap. So, fair warning.
thank you

Holy crap, everyone complained about Nintendo fanboys calling Jeff Gerstmann fat after the TP Gamespot review.

Now sony fanboys like Bad Boy are doing the exact same thing.

Kabouter

LJ11 said:
They asked Gabe what he thought of the 360. He totally avoided the question and decided to bag on Windows Vista. Again this taken from TXB.

I don't even know if this stuff is true, but regardless I guess we could have fun with it.

Wow, those are some harsh words too. But I guess I can see his point, MS has made a few pretty radical changes in interface (though not nearly as much in Windows as in Office, undeniable improvement in Office 2007 though). And really, after being on the phone with my father for 1.5 hours yesterday trying to get his PC running smoothly again, even I'm tempted to get them an iMac or something. Only worry is that my mother won't be able to figure out the OS (she just finished a course in Windows XP :lol)

KyanMehwulfe said:
...PC gamers have been poking fun at Gabe Newell's weight for years. He's hardly a new target.

Yeah, that makes it okay to do. Because other assholes do it too, I guess it's fine then.

Branduil

Moderation Unlimited said:

But can they mend a broken heart, my friend? Can they?

Alkaliine said:
Holy crap, everyone complained about Nintendo fanboys calling Jeff Gerstmann fat after the TP Gamespot review.

Or you could look up 4 posts.

Moderation Unlimited said:

You seem to forget about their poor E3 showing and poorly executed launch, both of which were met with very bad press. And some reports of development problems

I'm just sayin

Amir0x

Banned
Denis bought that shit on himself, he posted here and didn't like people criticizing his game. Suck it up, Denis, Too Human sucks!

Kabouter said:
Yeah, that makes it okay to do. Because other assholes do it too, I guess it's fine then.
I never said it was. It was in response to folks saying that he's the new Jeff Gersasdf or whoever from GameSpot, when in reality he's likely the original.

Christopher

Alkaliine said:

um you were the main offender in that thread, and TheBlackBradPitt isn't even a sony fan.

Christopher said:
um you were the main offender in that thread

So that makes it okay for other people to complain about it yet do the exact same?

I admit my faults in that thread, but this is the exact same thing.

Yoboman

PhoenixDark said:
You seem to forget about their poor E3 showing and poorly executed launch, both of which were met with very bad press. And some reports of development problems

I'm just sayin
You can say the same about 360 and even Wii to a lesser degree

Amir0x

Banned
Alkaliine said:
So that makes it okay for other people to complain about it yet do the exact same?

I admit my faults in that thread, but this is the exact same thing.

There are really only three people in this thread who did this shit... were they the ones complaining about it in the TP thread? I was... and I did the same thing here. Thus, equal treatment. Move on and discuss the topic at hand. Anyone who does this weight shit again will be banned.

Gek54 said:
"Gameinformer:What about the PS3?

Gabe Newell: The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing. "

ha. a "do-over" would be an awesome "gaming's first."

ethelred

It'll be hilarious when this turns out to be fake.

Yoboman said:
You can say the same about 360 and even Wii to a lesser degree

Not really. Both Microsoft and Nintendo (the latter especially) were considered to have had very strong E3 showings. And Sony definitely botched the worldwide launch far more than the other two, seeing as how they had to drop the third major territory (Europe) at just before the last minute. And neither Nintendo nor Microsoft were met with the intensely negative press Sony's been getting -- from Time, NYT, and a slew of other outlets.

ethelred said:
So Gabe Newell is the new Jeff Gerstmann, huh? I remember after the Zelda review folks were going around here saying no one but Nintendo fans would stoop so low as to make fun of someone for his weight...

Someone bashes Nintendo ==> Nintendo fanboys reflex is to hive defend ==> Xbox/PS fans bash Nintendo fanboys (or fairly neutral folk calmly mark them down as rather clumsy in their ill-fated loyalty to the corporate machine that so chokes up the world and enslaves many to jobs that help no-one but those at the top)

Thing is, pre-DS times: Nintendo was bashed so much, Nintendo fanboys defended so much; that Xbox/PS fans (or neutral folk) felt vindicated in making fun of them. And while I'm not denying that Gabe Newell's remarks are fairly extreme and deserve some sort of cynical reception, the level of attack is equally on par with that of the "Nintard" order (think "8.8"), which is so looked down upon by so many here, while at the moment that their system of choice is attacked...well, you see...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Alkaliine said:

Ah shut it. First of all, I never even commented on Gerstmann or would I care what people call him. 2nd of all I never even said anything about Gabe's weight in this thread. I posted a picture of him laughing while quoting other people said something about his weight. I dont give a shit if Gabe is fat, skinny, green or yellow. Alkaline, you have been calling me out for a long ass time just because I happen to like the PS3, if you have problem with me, spill it. It's really getting old.

ethelred said:
It'll be hilarious when this turns out to be fake.

Not really. Both Microsoft and Nintendo (the latter especially) were considered to have had very strong E3 showings. And Sony definitely botched the worldwide launch far more than the other two, seeing as how they had to drop the third major territory (Europe) at just before the last minute. And neither Nintendo nor Microsoft were met with the intensely negative press Sony's been getting -- from Time, NYT, and a slew of other outlets.

sony's fault, i believe, is feeling it was pressured into releasing the ps3 because of the xbox threat. to me, xbox and xbox 360 could have been the same system, generationally-speaking. that is to say: if sony had played it cool and said, "ok, these xbox guys have sold 20 million xbox 1's and they're releasing their new shit...let's let them do that and we'll drop our all-ultimate, super-lean gaming machine in 2007/2008, we'll completely knock them out the box."

but whatever

Surreal

PhoenixDark said:
I don't seem to remember either getting nearly as much negative press. Or development problems but meh

Sony is the industry leader. No one likes to pick on the little people. :lol

I'd say if it wasn't for the high price of the PS3, the negative feel around the PS3 would mostly be gone.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Praising the Wii = Valve games for the Wii confirmed? I wish that logic would be applied in realitybut no :(

PhoenixDark said:

I'm just sayin

I hear ya. But some people in the dev community lately have commented on what's in the pipeline, and they say it's stuff that will blow us away. That sounds pretty exciting to me.

We'll just have to wait and see. I really wish Sony would lay the cards on the table already. I already have the 2ndary console (Wii), as well as both portables (DS lite and PSP). I need a primary console soon (X360 or PS3) and the decision ain't easy. It's like I have to forecast into the future which consoles' games I'll enjoy more. It would be easier if I could just see what they (Sony) were going to off.

ToxicAdam said:
Sega Saturn says Hi.

saturn never had a come back machine yo. marketing-wise, you may be thinking? but a total do-over?

i always get the sense sony's gonna do a do-over with psp. just one day drop a new unit like, "oh, we've moved to games on memory sticks, no more umd. sorry all you 7 million "formner" psp owners, peace. holla."

ethelred

VicAlpha said:
Praising the Wii = Valve games for the Wii confirmed? I wish that logic would be applied in realitybut no :(

Hell no. Just like you'd best not start expecting anything from American McGee or Firaxis or any of the others who've made similar remarks.

Yoboman said:
360 had a terrible, terrible E3 before launch and a shitacular launch. Wii has had a shitacular launch, and the prior E3 was just ok.

Maybe, but both of them pulled off the global launch. Nintendo had its hitches with that, but it still managed to sell way more units in its first two months in the US than either Sony or Microsoft, and it sold at least a million more (in Japan) and who knows what in Europe. Also, while the 360 sold less in hardware in its first two months than the PS3, its software sales were fantastic (Wii's were pretty good). PS3's have been awful.

And which E3 was just okay? 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom