• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve likes the Wii, not so much the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobius 1

What have Valve done for consoles that was significant, besides ports of Half Life et all?

If the awser is "nothing", then Gabe should meekly shut his donut hole and do something interesting on a console before throwing barbed comments around. It could come back to bite him in the future.

R3Z

Yoboman said:
360 had a terrible, terrible E3 before launch and a shitacular launch. Wii has had a shitacular launch, and the prior E3 was just ok.

Bullshit. I dont even think you are on the sane planet here.

Norante said:
What have Valve done for consoles that was significant, besides ports of Half Life et all?

If the awser is "nothing", then Gabe should meekly shut his donut hole and do something interesting on a console before throwing barbed comments around. It could come back to bite him in the future.

just because gabe was quoted somewhere dont mean he's on a gaming vengence, yo. game developers are people too.

big_z

With ign's rumored big franchise FPS coming to wii and now this i think counter strike/team fortress 2 wii might happen. portal would make a solid wii game as well.

R3Z said:
Bullshit. I dont even think you are on the sane planet here.

360's launch e3 was *WEAK*. i was there yo. 360's launch was *WEAK*. i was there too. but they're killing it now. so whats the moral? maybe the videogame industry is unpredicatble, imho

Yoboman said:
360 had a terrible, terrible E3 before launch and a shitacular launch. Wii has had a shitacular launch, and the prior E3 was just ok.

WHAT WHAT WHAT

The 360 had an excellent E3 - GTA4, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc all had spectacular showings.

Wii had a fantastic launch, only marred by shortage problems, and their E3 was generally regarded one of the best, if not the best, of the show.

R3Z

Barry Lightning said:
360's launch e3 was *WEAK*. i was there yo. 360's launch was *WEAK*. i was there too. but they're killing it now. so whats the moral? maybe the videogame industry is unpredicatble, imho

Call of Duty 2 (Activision Inc.)
Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios and Rare Ltd.)
Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)
NBA LIVE 06 (Electronic Arts)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Electronic Arts)
NHL 2K6 (2K Sports)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Game Studios and Bizarre Creations Ltd.)
Ridge Racer 6 (Namco Ltd.)

Weak ? Get the hell out of here. JC, i swear that people are sniffing gas here.

R3Z said:
Call of Duty 2 (Activision Inc.)
Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios and Rare Ltd.)
Madden NFL 06 (Electronic Arts)
NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)
NBA LIVE 06 (Electronic Arts)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Electronic Arts)
NHL 2K6 (2K Sports)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Game Studios and Bizarre Creations Ltd.)
Ridge Racer 6 (Namco Ltd.).

thanks for backing me up, imho

Amir0x

Banned
Alkaliine said:
WHAT WHAT WHAT

The 360 had an excellent E3 - GTA4, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc all had spectacular showings.

Wii had a fantastic launch, only marred by shortage problems, and their E3 was generally regarded one of the best, if not the best, of the show.

That was not 360's first E3. 360's FIRST E3... was horrific. I mean nothing can match $600 DOLLARSUUU!!!11, but it was pretty damn bad. That was right when people's dreams were shattered about what next-gen was really gonna be like.

R3Z

Barry Lightning said:
thanks for backing me up, imho

You have a 360 ? Give us your gamertag so we can check that you actually played these games and formed an opinion in the right way?

Amir0x said:
That was not 360's first E3. 360's FIRST E3... was horrific. I mean nothing can match $600 DOLLARSUUU!!!11, but it was pretty damn bad. That was right when people's dreams were shattered about what next-gen was really gonna be like.

Oh, I see now, misunderstood him. I guess he's right with that, though the 360 launch certainly wasn't weak.

Alkaliine said:
WHAT WHAT WHAT

He's talking about E3 05, the year it launched. I was there too. The only game they had playable to everyone was Full Auto and it was shitty. The launch games weren't great either.

ethelred said:
Not really. Both Microsoft and Nintendo (the latter especially) were considered to have had very strong E3 showings. And Sony definitely botched the worldwide launch far more than the other two, seeing as how they had to drop the third major territory (Europe) at just before the last minute. And neither Nintendo nor Microsoft were met with the intensely negative press Sony's been getting -- from Time, NYT, and a slew of other outlets.
He's not talking about PR. Unquestionably, Gabe is complaining about the foreign to PC nature that the PS3 exhibits, and the pain in the butt that multi core architectures represent. It's been said a million times, there is NO silver bullet for multi core coding and PS3 exacerbates the issue by having so many cores plus the asymmetry. While, true, it means it offers up a HUGE performance boost compared to other platforms, it certainly doesn't make things any easier. On the other hand, Nintendo's platform is far and away easier, because of the architecture you can get pretty good performance out of, relatively speaking, sloppy code and MS, being the PC software giant they are, has made a point to make the 360 as close to PCs as possible. PS3 isn't making his life better, thus "disaster". Yes, he went overboard, but it's not like we haven't heard him say this a million times already.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
R3Z said:
You have a 360 ? Give us your gamertag so we can check that you actually played these games and formed an opinion in the right way?

Dude, the list is filled with most of the stuff the PS3 and even the Wii launched with...

Maybe not exact titles, but, you get the point.

BigBoss

Alkaliine said:
WHAT WHAT WHAT

Silly me, I always assumed the Xbox 360 launched in 2005...

Fantastic launch for the Wii? :lol

It sucked, its best game was a GCN port and the rest was mediocre garbage.

Mobius 1

Barry Lightning said:
just because gabe was quoted somewhere dont mean he's on a gaming vengence, yo. game developers are people too.

Agreed on all accounts, but as the smart man we know he is, his comments are quite strange. If I were a game developer I wouldn't go around calling the market leader or one of the major players in the industry of having a "total disaster".

Christopher

BigBoss said:

:lol

but wait...Wii Sports is kinna cool.

R3Z

Oldschoolgamer said:
Dude, the list is filled with most of the stuff the PS3 and even the Wii launched with...

Maybe not exact titles, but, you get the point.

And calling it weak is a joke, you guys are compareable to calling a pimple septicemia
!.

BigBoss said:

Fantastic in terms of sales, mainstream hype (heaps and heaps of articles praising the system) and word of mouth.

Sure the overall lineup wasn't that great, but it was still a very good launch. I don't know what you're smoking if you disagree.

Amir0x

Banned
i think everyone is defining success on different terms, and exchanging these terms when it's convenient here.

Is success or lack of success defined by a shitty E3 or a supply restrained launch?
Is success or lack of success defined by the amount of critical acclaim or bad media you receive?
Is success or lack of success defined by the number of quality games you have at launch?

Depending on how you mix these terms, it's true all three systems had a bad launch. And of course, since all the systems made sure to **** up in their own unique way, fanboys have to alter their standards on a case by case basis. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Too bad it's a remake of a year old DS game, though. Shoulda been $29.99, and then it would have been worth it.

I mean all 3 consoles had similar level of quality launches. Which means they launched with mostly quickly ported crap games and one or two standouts.

Edit: And you're all probably right about Trauma Center. Sounds good from what I've been hearing. Haven't played it, though.

Amir0x said:
Too bad it's a remake of a year old DS game, though. Shoulda been $29.99, and then it would have been worth it.

True but as a launch game it's excellent. Even not as a launch game. :D

Plus in this case, the wiimote makes it a better game. I can't say that about many games thus far.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Amir0x said:
i think everyone is defining success on different terms, and exchanging these terms when it's convenient here.

Is success or lack of success defined by a shitty E3 or a supply restrained launch?
Is success or lack of success defined by the amount of critical acclaim or bad media you receive?
Is success or lack of success defined by the number of quality games you have at launch?

Depending on how you mix these terms, it's true all three systems had a bad launch. And of course, since all the systems made sure to **** up in their own unique way, fanboys have to alter their standards on a case by case basis. :lol
Truer words may never be spoken again. Well said.

LJ11

Darren316 said:
am i the only person that cannot find this on gameinformer? anyone got a link to the source?

It's in the new issue according to the original source (TXB forums).

tHoMNZ

Moderation Unlimited said:
Half Life 2 is great and all, but it sounds like bitter PC developer tears. They just can't seem to be able to wrap their head around CELL (assymetrical processing). I don't hear the final fantasy team, Kojima's team, Insomniac, or Naughty Dog bitching about the PS3's architecture (although I'm sure it's frustrating to work with initially). Back in the day upsetting PC developers was no big deal because they didn't really have any leverage in the console market. I think that's beginning to change, though. And Sony angering guys like these just isn't scoring them any points, regardless if he's being a pansy or not.

Valve is in the business of making great games, not filling a blueray disk up with fmv :D

ok that was flame bait, sorry :x

Derps said:
I like how all these developers praise the Wii but have yet to announce any games for it

QFT.

So many devs are praising the system yet most game announcements still seem to be for PS3 and 360.

Amir0x

Banned
krypt0nian said:
True but as a launch game it's excellent. Even not as a launch game. :D

it was fun, but like I said I still felt ripped off that I paid $50 for a remake of a $30 game that released only a year ago. I've learned long ago that I don't have to lower my standards for launch though... no system is ever good at launch. So just bide the time until good stuff lands

Kevtones

BigBoss said:

F+ for effort, lamer.

fse

Gabe rocks. Says something and people get pissy over it. It's just gaming people, not like something way important.

Can't wait for HL2:O

jman2050

Alkaliine said:
QFT.

So many devs are praising the system yet most game announcements still seem to be for PS3 and 360.

You're forgetting one important factor. It starts with an "M" and ends in "oney".

Derps said:
I like how all these developers praise the Wii but have yet to announce any games for it

That's why I don't get excited over it anymore. Just a few months ago I'd be all over this news going "OMG Counter Strike Wii what are the possibilities?!?!" crazy. Now...meh. Show me the money

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
ethelred said:
Hell no. Just like you'd best not start expecting anything from American McGee or Firaxis or any of the others who've made similar remarks.
That's why I said I wish :(

...but at the same time, my #1 prediction about the Wii will make my wish come true :)

Amir0x said:
it was fun, but like I said I still felt ripped off that I paid $50 for a remake of a $30 game that released only a year ago. I've learned long ago that I don't have to lower my standards for launch though... no system is ever good at launch. So just bide the time until good stuff lands

I get where you're coming from. For the wii/PS3 launch I've managed to keep myself from buying all the shit launch-quality games and stuck to Zelda/Trauma for the wii and Resistance/PSN games for the PS3. I'm not even tempted by anything else yet. I usually buy like 10 games and end up regretting it a month later.

But ATLUS gets my monies. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom