• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve likes the Wii, not so much the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Chris Remo said:
If it was for a good game franchise it would be in all caps, Impact 72pt font, in the blink tag and they would call it the most orgasmically mindblowingly satisfying game experience evar but sorry their lips are sealed they can't say anything except all the stuff they said just now.
You mean like with Rockstar Table Tennis?

I'm a consumer, guy who will buy PS3 and lots of games for it, I'm extremely excited about it. Take that mister Gabe "dunno-how-to-use-Cell" Newell.

VALIS

fortified_concept said:
He's a PC dev. He either hates PS3 because he finds it complicated to code for it (try better you wankers), because they wanna please Microsoft or just because he's just a fanboy. The haters seem to have seen some blood and they run to grab a bite. Who cares? In a year all the crappy predictions, the whining and the hateful statements like this one from the bitter fanboys will have been forgotten and we'll all laugh at them.

Your continued lack of any sense of irony whatsoever is astounding.

Kabouter said:
Then again, what other franchise?
ID seems to have no interest in developing for Wii.
Far Cry is already on Wii.
Call of Duty is already on Wii
I can't see Epic developing for Wii either.
So which main FPS franchise is left? I can't think of many more than Half-Life
Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms? We know those are both in development for Wii already but it wouldn't surprise me if the announcement was something like "You may know that MoH is heading to the Wii, but what you don't know is that it'll actually be good!!!"

Battlefield? (even more unlikely than Half-Life I suppose)

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm a consumer, guy who will buy PS3 and lots of games for it, I'm extremely excited about it. Take that mister Gabe "dunno-how-to-use-Cell" Newell.
He's crushed.

E-phonk

Banned
TF2 seems to have a graphic style that might "click" with the nintendo image enough to be a nintendo published fps. But I don't get excited about console fps games since none of the ones I played really worked for me control wise (both with remote and dual analog).

E-phonk said:
TF2 seems to have a graphic style that might "click" with the nintendo image enough to be a nintendo published fps. But I don't get excited about console fps games since none of the ones I played really worked for me control wise (both with remote and dual analog).
The gibs part doesn't quite fit. :D

Borys

Banned
VALIS said:

Shut up you retarded, mindwashed, blind, lemming-like, TeamXbox user, bitter, insecure, faithful, Xbot, fanboish... FANBOY!

Phew... :)

VALIS said:

Man, these one sentence insults some of you people write like you're above everyone else are very ****ing helpful to the discussion. Congrats. I could also mention the irony in your post but we would be doing this all day. ;)

Anyway I may be biased but at least I never bash consoles or generalize without using any arguments to back up my claims like your buddy Gabe did, and I'm not even supposed to set an example.

fortified_concept said:
I could also mention the irony in your post
Please do, I didn't notice any.

Anyway I may be biased but at least I never bash consoles or generalize without using any arguments to back up my claims like your buddy Gabe did, and I'm not even supposed to set an example.
You generalize people though, apparently.

So what. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3 and most of the console complaints come from PC developers, who I don't really care about.

Versus

Gek54 said:
Gabe Newell: The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing. "

Gabe Newell isn't the only developer thinking along these lines either:

"we believe that Nintendo’s Wii will become the market leader by the end of Christmas 2007"

http://www.innerbits.com/blog/2007/01/08/console-sales-predictions-for-2007/

Kabouter

Chris Remo said:
Medal of Honor, Brothers in Arms? We know those are both in development for Wii already but it wouldn't surprise me if the announcement was something like "You may know that MoH is heading to the Wii, but what you don't know is that it'll actually be good!!!"
Who considers Medal of Honor a main FPS franchise still?
As for Brothers in Arms, you're right on that yeah, and I doubt they'll have Hell's Highway head for Wii too.

Battlefield? (even more unlikely than Half-Life I suppose)
Battlefield, yeah, I really don't see that happen like you indicate :p

wave dial

Completely unable to understand satire
Bad_Boy said:
20060606-gabe_newell.jpg
:lol :lol
nintendo fans used to defend another fat person, dyack

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Talking about a person's taste is one thing, but talking about a person's weight, that is low, very low. I sure as hell don't remember people not sucking him off when he said that Naughty Dog was furthest along when it came to multithreading development. I guess when one's games are the pinnacle of their profession, you have to go after something else, to make you feel good. So, people going after his head, you should probably be more open-minded about what he says because if those media create threads continue to look the way they do, games like his will be some of the most high-profile on the console.

This is funny, if Newell would have said something along the lines of PS3 is so great to develop for, its power is none like I have seen before. The same people now shunning him and Valve would be happily riding his jockstrap.
So Newell doesn't like the PS3, so what. He has his reasons and since he knows more about these things than I do I'm inclined to believe that his worries concerning complexity of development may have some truth to it.
Even so, if PS3 becomes a success it will most likely get it's Valve treatment, if Newell likes it or not.

Wollan

Agent Icebeezy said:
Talking about a person's taste is one thing, but talking about a person's weight, that is low, very low. I sure as hell don't remember people not sucking him off when he said that Naughty Dog was furthest along when it came to multithreading development. I guess when one's games are the pinnacle of their profession, you have to go after something else, to make you feel good. So, people going after his head, you should probably be more open-minded about what he says because if those media create threads continue to look the way they do, games like his will be some of the most high-profile on the console.

Too much of that in this thread.

His opinion, redoing the PS3 is edging on hysterical though imho (if he ever meant it that seriously).

I admire his honesty, developers don't have anything to gain from being so open with personal opinion. Just like when Keita Takahashi (Mr Katamari) dared to say he didn't want to develop for the Wii.

Good on them!

ThirdEye

g23 said:
You know you have truly failed when a major developer says you are a **** up this early in the war. GG sony, nice knowing you Blu-Ray!

(please don't ban me)
Wasn't the dev of Oddworld like that for PS2

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
POWERSPHERE said:
I admire his honesty, developers don't have anything to gain from being so open with personal opinion. Just like when Keita Takahashi (Mr Katamari) dared to say he didn't want to develop for the Wii.

Good on them!
I agree.

I love when developers actually state their opinions. Of course, there will be those who slam them for it, but it's always interesting.

It's kind of a shame that the PS3 is basically DOA. From the press, you'd think the PS3 is pile of trash...but it's really not at all. Ah well, nothing we can do about it.

POWERSPHERE said:

Good on them!

He must be a bitter fanboy too.:lol

Anyways, the words are overly dramatic, but I don't care if they speak their opinions either. I'd much rather have those kinds of criticism rather than politically-correct, handcuffed by the console manufacturer comments. And as a bonus, they influence the creation of horrible GAF threads that are always fun to read.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dev's should be allowed to say whatever they want.

I may not agree with Gabe, but at least he isn't being a pussy about it.

WOW get on with it!
we know PS3 is a **** up and hard to develop for but Look at Konami, they dont complain they deal with the problems and move on!

it seems like the bunch who is complaining that its hard to develop for PS3 are a bunch of halfassed developers who isnt smart enough to make games for PS3 so what do they do?

complain!

Tired of all negative responses about developing games for PS3

Rur0ni

Mefisutoferesu said:
More likely Gabe despises multicore programming and the fact that the PS3 isn't a computer in a box like the 360, not to mention tools. I can't blame him for the distaste, but to say what he said is rather... ... off. Also, the Wii part is just plain wrong, isn't it?

PC -> PS3 - OMGWTFBBQ
PC -> 360 - ahhh, thanks Microsoft, for making it so easy.
PC -> Wii - LOL (not mocking performance, it's just a reeeeeally forgiving platform to code for)
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/11/02/Multi_core_in_the_Source_Engin/1.html

It would appear to me, Valve is fully embracing multi-core. This was in Oct\November. For him to bash PS3 now means a bit more. :p

Also Steam is absolutely great. Rough start, but it's gold now.

Apenheul

I tend to believe western developers more than eastern ones. I have rarely (if ever) read an interview with a Japanese lead programmer, it's almost as if these people don't matter. It's always some producer with a close relationship to a hardware manufacturer who makes claims about hardware, while he may not have had any personal (technical) experience with the hardware.

Majmun

Another PC dev with negative feedback about Ps3? First Carmack and now Newell...

But then again, Ps1 and Ps2 didn't succeed thanks to big PC devs support. And especially not thanks to PC devs who release a game once in 4 or 5 years...

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
robertsan21 said:
WOW get on with it!
we know PS3 is a **** up and hard to develop for but Look at Konami, they dont complain they deal with the problems and move on!

it seems like the bunch who is complaining that its hard to develop for PS3 are a bunch of halfassed developers who isnt smart enough to make games for PS3 so what do they do?

complain!

Tired of all negative responses about developing games for PS3

:lol

kablooey

I think many developers had similar concerns about the difficulty of the architecture with the PS2 as well. Difference was, PS2 was unquestionably the market leader, so if you wanted to make money, you had to suck it up and deal with it. This time, it's not nearly so clear-cut, so developers who might've kept quiet before, like ol' Gabe, have been emboldened to speak out.

Mojovonio

Banned
oh man, this thread has it all!

-people who don't have enough intellect to respond in any matter other than making fun of his weight.

-people who claim that Valve is a shitty company and defame their intelligence when it comes to programming.

-Fortified_concept contradicting himself over and over and revealing that he has no idea what irony is.

:)

I love you guys!

Tieno said:
Gabe Newell worked for Microsoft...coincidence?
not just that, he is a so called microsoft millionaire.

But anyhow, ppl don't buy their playstations to play pc ports, that's what the xboxes are for. So nothing new there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom