• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve likes the Wii, not so much the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all, they're also excited about Maple Story on DS.

Huh? You'd be hard-pressed to find 5 people in all of NeoGAF actually excited about this. The more optimistic ones are taking the 'wait and see' approach, and that's about it.

And concerning the sub-argument - all launches this gen stank in their own ways. I'm going to say Nintendo's was the best, but that's not really saying much.

lucius

I actually get Gameinformer but don't have this issue yet, anyone know whats on the cover?

He sounds like he is just going off on rants if this is true, come on Vista can't be that bad, Macintosh OS have always been much better but he acts like it is some major problem this time. And canceling the PS3 lol.

Linkup

lucius said:
I actually get Gameinformer but don't have this issue yet, anyone know whats on the cover?

He sounds like he is just going off on rants if this is true, come on Vista can't be that bad, Macintosh OS have always been much better but he acts like it is some major problem this time. And canceling the PS3 lol.

Blue Dragon is the cover story, no world exclusive this time. The magazine just came today and the interview was in it.

ethelred

Linkup said:
Blue Dragon is the cover story, no world exclusive this time. The magazine just came today and the interview was in it.

Does it say anything about Blue Dragon's US release specifically?

Mar

WARCOCK said:
Can you pull 250 fps in CSS like my core 2 6700, 7900 gt?

I THINK NOT!
TALK TO THE HAND WHILE I SLIDE PAST YOUR BULLETS MATRIX STYLE!

Now that's just an embarrassing thing to say.

Wow. What a thread.

Geez, look at all the people who got their panties bunched over Gabe's comments. He's got a pretty extreme opinion, but he usually does. Just take it in stride. The founder of one of the best and most successful independent developers around can afford to have strong opinions.

As for those asking why Valve hasn't put anything on Wii if Newell loves it so much, well...what do those two things have to do with one another? Newell isn't Valve, and enjoying something doesn't mean you have to create content for it. I'm a musician and I love the sound of the bassoon but I'm not going to go learn to play it just to prove that I like it.

It would be cool if Valve supported the system, but the company doesn't have to do so to justify one guy's opinion.'

(Also the continued PC vs. console bullshit makes me sad.)

Linkup

ethelred said:
Does it say anything about Blue Dragon's US release specifically?
Just says summer

Demigod Mac said:
Back on topic....

Did they ask him if the PS3 version of HL2 will have USB keyboard & mouse support?

No, they only asked him about PS3 once.

WARCOCK

Banned
Demigod Mac said:
Oh dear. I've demonstrated that you are utterly wrong, and now you start spinning like a top. Performance? You were doubting that Mac hardware could run Source in the first place.

Your words, 'WARCOCK'.

You didnt anwser my question buddy.
l_50372cd3e7452c4ca3cc56c2e6ac5cc3.jpg

The way its meant to be played!

Farmboy

Amir0x said:
i think everyone is defining success on different terms, and exchanging these terms when it's convenient here.

Is success or lack of success defined by a shitty E3 or a supply restrained launch?
Is success or lack of success defined by the amount of critical acclaim or bad media you receive?
Is success or lack of success defined by the number of quality games you have at launch?

Depending on how you mix these terms, it's true all three systems had a bad launch. And of course, since all the systems made sure to **** up in their own unique way, fanboys have to alter their standards on a case by case basis. :lol

You're absolutely right. But in the order "pre-launch E3 -- launch line-up -- launch supply -- media attention", I'd say:

Nintendo: reasonable -- poor -- mediocre -- good
Microsoft: poor -- mediocre/reasonable* -- mediocre -- reasonable
Sony: disastrous -- poor -- disastrous -- disastrous

So while it's true that they all screwed up in some way, Sony pretty much screwed up in every way, as well as screwing up worse than its competitors.

*I was underwhelmed by the launch line-up at the time, especially in light of MS' Best-Launch-Ever hype. But it looks like a killer line-up now, compared to that of the other two.

Kevtones

BigBoss said:
I didn't know they let Nintendo fans drink, I mean you guys are raving lunatics sober, I can only imagine how batshit insane you guys must be when you're drunk. It does explain your post history though.

You're an unfunny version of a typical gamefaqs troll that contributes absolutely nothing to anything relevant. Get a life or at least learn to choose your 'battles' more wisely.

ram

did he like the ps2? no

did it stop the ps2 to become the most successful home console to date? no

nobody cares about gabe in the console business.

Remedy

Banned
after half life 1 i feel, valve became very profit driven. I guess they are a business but going from a massive community based platform with hl1, to money making send it through steam at full price on hl2, they become bit of a disappointment.

Half life 2 was good, but highly overrated in my opinion. Many of things that made 1 so great were missing from HL2, the main issue being the AI.

Does anyone remember all those demonstration vids of how great the AI was, what a load of shit that turned out to be.

Well well, another PC dev critisizing a playstation platform. If I had a penny for every time they praise Microsoft to high heavens or they critisize playstationX (for X put 2,3 or P) I'd be a filthy rich pimp with a hundrend hoes. As for Nintendo products they're usually disinterested, I guess he's an exception.

Mefisutoferesu said:
More likely Gabe despises multicore programming and the fact that the PS3 isn't a computer in a box like the 360, not to mention tools. I can't blame him for the distaste, but to say what he said is rather... ... off. Also, the Wii part is just plain wrong, isn't it?

PC -> PS3 - OMGWTFBBQ
PC -> 360 - ahhh, thanks Microsoft, for making it so easy.
PC -> Wii - LOL (not mocking performance, it's just a reeeeeally forgiving platform to code for)

I nominate this for best post of the thread

Sounds like he's really bitter, dunno why though. Although not a single wii project may be one good excuse, that or Hirai hit Gabe with his car, repeatedly.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Sounds like he's really bitter, dunno why though. Although not a single wii project may be one good excuse, that or Hirai hit Gabe with his car, repeatedly.

He's a PC dev. He either hates PS3 because he finds it complicated to code for it (try better you wankers), because they wanna please Microsoft or just because he's just a fanboy. The haters seem to have seen some blood and they run to grab a bite. Who cares? In a year all the crappy predictions, the whining and the hateful statements like this one from the bitter fanboys will have been forgotten and we'll all laugh at them.

Tieno

fortified_concept said:
He's a PC dev. He either hates PS3 because he finds it complicated to code for it (try better you wankers) or because they wanna please Microsoft or just because he's just a fanboy. The haters seem to have seen some blood and they run to grab a bite. Who cares? In a year what all the bitter fanboys have said will have been forgotten and we'll all laugh at them.
I bet he's a teamxbox reject.

Tieno said:
I bet he's a teamxbox reject.

Wow this is the first time you made that joke. YOURE SO FUNNY

edit: No clapping yet? We need some clapping for Tieno and his funny joke which may I remind you only used for the 957th time

fortified_concept said:
Wow this is the first time you made that joke. YOURE SO FUNNY

edit: No clapping yet? We need some clapping for Tieno and his funny joke which may I remind you only used for the 957th time

/Sarcasme meter reaches level 99 :lol :lol

fortified_concept said:
He's a PC dev. He either hates PS3 because he finds it complicated to code for it (try better you wankers), because they wanna please Microsoft or just because he's just a fanboy. The haters seem to have seen some blood and they run to grab a bite. Who cares? In a year all the crappy predictions, the whining and the hateful statements like this one from the bitter fanboys will have been forgotten and we'll all laugh at them.
fortified_concept said:
Well well, another PC dev critisizing a playstation platform. If I had a penny for every time they praise Microsoft to high heavens or they critisize playstationX (for X put 2,3 or P) I'd be a filthy rich pimp with a hundrend hoes. As for Nintendo products they're usually disinterested, I guess he's an exception.

I nominate this for best post of the thread

Good lord, so people just make up opinions for him now when they're butthurt when he doesn't share their own? Newell has had no shortage of criticism for Microsoft. A "fanboy"? A fanboy of what? Microsoft? The slightest bit of research would show that's far from being the case. Are people these days really not allowed to have strong opinions without being fanboys?

"As for Nintendo products they're usually disinterested, I guess he's an exception." Yeah, or like everybody else he just has an opinion about something. Good lord. When you make games for PC you don't take a test to ensure you have the right opinions.

I don't share his opinion and I certainly wouldn't have posted something like that on a forum, but he's not posting on this forum, and I guarantee he would find "fanboy" accusations laughable.

People are like Joseph ****ing McCarthy here with their fanboy accusations.

Chris Remo said:
Good lord, so people just make up opinions for him now when they're butthurt when he doesn't share their own? Newell has had no shortage of criticism for Microsoft. A "fanboy"? A fanboy of what? Microsoft? The slightest bit of research would show that's far from being the case. Are people these days really not allowed to have strong opinions without being fanboys?

"As for Nintendo products they're usually disinterested, I guess he's an exception." Yeah, or like everybody else he just has an opinion about something. Good lord. When you make games for PC you don't take a test to ensure you have the right opinions.

I don't share his opinion and I certainly wouldn't have posted something like that on a forum, but he's not posting on this forum, and I guarantee he would find "fanboy" accusations laughable.

People are like Joseph ****ing McCarthy here with their fanboy accusations.

Yes a fanboy. If he was a GAF member he could have been banned for statements like that. I don't see Japanese developers acting like jerks in interviews calling X360 a disaster which only has western support or crap like that. Developers are supposed to act like the examples not start stupid flamewars with bullshit they say in their interviews.

antiloop

WOW?

Talk about overreacting. PS3, 360 and Wii had equally bad launches in terms of content.

If he is only talking from a devs perspective though, it's the hardest console to code for (especially for a PC dev) so I can understand if he isn't totally satisfied.

But WOW?

Xzbeat

LaMeRz said:
As much as Sony sucks for messing up with the PS3 is anyone else besides me just getting tired of hearing about it?
Im Nintendo biased but I have to agree with you. Im definately tired of hearing the same things over and over again.

fortified_concept said:
Yes a fanboy. If he was a GAF member he could have been banned for statements like that. I don't see Japanese developers acting like jerks in interviews calling X360 a disaster which only has western support or crap like that. Developers are supposed to act like the examples not start stupid flamewars with bullshit they say in their interviews.
What's he a fanboy of?

Just imagine how backwards we were before some jackass invented the word "fanboy" and there was no quick and easy word to facilitate a kneejerk response to somebody with an opinion that strongly contrasts your own.

He's also not a GAF member--or, if he is, he didn't post his statement here.

Developers aren't supposed to "act like the examples," they're not supposed to do anything other than their jobs. They're not the parents or legal guardians of the people who buy the games. They're not PR people. They're free to say whatever the hell they want. You don't have to agree with them.

Again, I certainly don't agree with him. I'm not defending his statements, I'm taking issue with certain responses to his statements.

Amir0x

Banned
fortified_concept said:
If he was a GAF member he could have been banned for statements like that.

I'm a GAF member.

Here's my statement: PS3 is a ****ing disaster, in every sense of the word.

I mean it's losing a new third party exclusive every day now, it's had straight non-stop bad press since E3 2006, it had one of the worst launches ever seen from a supply perspective. And, to make matters worse, short and big initial demand has tapered off and people are seeing PS3s everywhere. And it's all for $600 to boot. This is not even factoring in the '**** the industry' perspective, where PS3 still loses out... as an independent gamer, 9/10 games from big developers and big franchises are coming out on both 360 and PS3. And guess which one is cheaper, which I'd end up rather buying?

Now, the diplomatic approach is to say 'I'll own every system.' Hell... that's true, I will. PS3 is still going to have some good first party titles, and the errant big third party exclusive... FFXIII the biggest of them all that's still left (we'll see how long MGS4 and DMC4 hold up... my guess: not long). But damn if Sony has not ****ing shitted up virtually every appealing thing the PlayStation brand has had going for it this past decade. As a person who was extremely pleased with what they've delivered on PS1 and PS2, and is continually disenfranchised by the lowered standards of Nintendo DS and Wii, PS3 is still worse yet than that. They've failed so dramatically it almost feels Shakespearean in nature.

That's the lay out. That some dude from VALVE said it doesn't make him a fanboy. And, though the opinion be extreme, in this case it just might be right.

Shompola

Banned
fortified_concept said:

You are still posting here and you are way more extreme than him.. Maybe because you are a drama queen...

Chris Remo said:
What's he a fanboy of?

Just imagine how backwards we were before some jackass invented the word "fanboy" and there was no quick and easy word to facilitate a kneejerk response to somebody with an opinion that strongly contrasts your own.

He's also not a GAF member--or, if he is, he didn't post his statement here.

Developers aren't supposed to "act like the examples," they're not supposed to do anything other than their jobs. They're not the parents or legal guardians of the people who buy the games. They're free to say whatever the hell they want. You don't have to agree with them.

Again, I certainly don't agree with him. I'm not defending his statements, I'm taking issue with certain responses to his statements.

Well I guess we have different perspectives of how a developer should be. I for example expect them to act like gaming journalists: Try to prevend ridiculous fanboy wars not start them.

Amir0x

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Well I guess we have different perspectives of how a developer should be. I for example expect them to act like gaming journalists: Try to prevend ridiculous fanboy wars not start them.

if he wanted to bullshit and make pretty for the dumb fanboys, maybe he might have tried to be a game "journalist" instead of a developer.

Kabouter

Also, praising Microsoft? Are you bonkers? Did you not see the quote about Vista earlier in this thread? He was telling people to switch to Macs for christ's sake! I'm sure Microsoft is not too happy with that, so you're very very wrong fortified concept.

fortified_concept said:
See I think that the people who should act like gaming journalists are gaming journalists. Actually I don't really think that, most people should avoid trying to act like gaming journalists.

(what's he a fanboy of?)

Hmmm, something interesting I noticed.

IGN says:

As of right now there's no announcement of any online FPS for Wii though. The cat is pretty much out of the bag as far as why no games were online at launch, and if you're late to the party we can catch you up by simply saying "Nintendo wasn't ready" and leave it at that, but we also know that online is on the way, and from the sounds of it the Wii will be getting some support. Obviously our mouths are sealed right now, but let's just say we're hearing rumblings of Wii-specific versions of at least one of the main FPS franchises out there. Oh, and when we say "Wii-specific" we don't mean tacked on controls that claim to make it a new experience. We're talking an immersive, competitive experience built from the ground up for Wii. Here's hoping everything works out as planned, as I look forward to be fragging each and every one of you ASAP.

Hmmm, perhaps, just maybe, there is some corrolation here.

Then again, probably not.

Amir0x

Banned
Alkaliine said:

IGN says:

As of right now there's no announcement of any online FPS for Wii though. The cat is pretty much out of the bag as far as why no games were online at launch, and if you're late to the party we can catch you up by simply saying "Nintendo wasn't ready" and leave it at that, but we also know that online is on the way, and from the sounds of it the Wii will be getting some support. Obviously our mouths are sealed right now, but let's just say we're hearing rumblings of Wii-specific versions of at least one of the main FPS franchises out there. Oh, and when we say "Wii-specific" we don't mean tacked on controls that claim to make it a new experience. We're talking an immersive, competitive experience built from the ground up for Wii. Here's hoping everything works out as planned, as I look forward to be fragging each and every one of you ASAP.

Seems like it's time to post it on gonintendo!

Kabouter

Alkaliine said:
Then again, what other franchise?
ID seems to have no interest in developing for Wii.
Far Cry is already on Wii.
Call of Duty is already on Wii
I can't see Epic developing for Wii either.
So which main FPS franchise is left? I can't think of many more than Half-Life

Amir0x said:
I'm a GAF member.

Here's my statement: PS3 is a ****ing disaster, in every sense of the word.

Hey you're cheating and you know it. :p And you have something
very very very
bad to say for every next gen console.

Amir0x said:
I mean it's losing a new third party exclusive every day now, it's had straight non-stop bad press since E3 2006, it had one of the worst launches ever seen from a supply perspective. And, to make matters worse, short and big initial demand has tapered off and people are seeing PS3s everywhere. And it's all for $600 to boot. This is not even factoring in the '**** the industry' perspective, where PS3 still loses out... as an independent gamer, 9/10 games from big developers and big franchises are coming out on both 360 and PS3. And guess which one is cheaper, which I'd end up rather buying?

Now, the diplomatic approach is to say 'I'll own every system.' Hell... that's true, I will. PS3 is still going to have some good first party titles, and the errant big third party exclusive... FFXIII the biggest of them all that's still left (we'll see how long MGS4 and DMC4 hold up... my guess: not long). But damn if Sony has not ****ing shitted up virtually every appealing thing the PlayStation brand has had going for it this past decade. As a person who was extremely pleased with what they've delivered on PS1 and PS2, and is continually disenfranchised by the lowered standards of Nintendo DS and Wii, PS3 is still worse yet than that. They've failed so dramatically it almost feels Shakespearean in nature.

That's the lay out. That some dude from VALVE said it doesn't make him a fanboy. And, though the opinion be extreme, in this case it just might be right.

For PS3 losing exclusives guess what: The last two exclusives a console lost were X360 exclusives. From supply perpective the launch went much better than X360 or PS2 for the first month. As for your PS3 doesn't have exclusives vibe I get from your post allow me to completely dissagree with you. Hell it has more exclusives that I care about than PS2 had it's first year. Imo the price is still the only problem.

Alkaliine said:

IGN says:

It would be nice, as I have a lot of faith in Valve, but I very much doubt it. These IGN non-announcements (for non-games lol) always end up overexaggerating the magnitude of the actual announcement. This press release isn't excited enough for an actual good game. If it was for a good game franchise it would be in all caps, Impact 72pt font, in the blink tag and they would call it the most orgasmically mindblowingly satisfying game experience evar but sorry their lips are sealed they can't say anything except all the stuff they said just now.

lexi

Banned
Kabouter said:
Then again, what other franchise?
ID seems to have no interest in developing for Wii.
Far Cry is already on Wii.
Call of Duty is already on Wii
I can't see Epic developing for Wii either.
So which main FPS franchise is left? I can't think of many more than Half-Life

Duke Nukem Forever.

Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom