• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve reveals specs for prototype Steam Machines.

These machines will run games better than comparable machines with Windows, right? I haven't been following the Steam Machines topic.

Not necessarily, the hardware should be the same.

If there are any performance gains from the OS, then it's freely available to dual-boot on your windows machine.

Serandur

Nothing really.

But I guess having a company build a high end machine in a smaller form factor will be appealing for some people. Doing it on your own...if things overheat or whatever, you're on your own.

Now if you don't care about form factor then these machines probably won't be for you vs DIY. Not sure if the final public Steam Machines will have this kind of spec in that form factor though.
Prebuilt gaming PCs are already the domain of Alienware, Origin PC, and Northwest Falcon. I suppose consumer perception is everything though, really, but I'm skeptical about the commercial success of these machines.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The recommended power supply wattage for a GTX 780 is 600W, how are they fitting that in a unit with 450W PSU?

The card's draw should be 250W as well.

The cheap machine should be the i3 with the GTX 660 right?
Because GPU makers put that out because there used to be so many shitty units and they don't want call backs. PSU wattage has been vastly inflated as a need and marketing tool, but it's coming back into reality.

Yes.

avaya

Looks like someone didn't read the full story. These are for the user that desires the high-end hardware. Not low-end like consoles. There will be Steamboxes aimed there too.

The low end boxes won't be price competitive with consoles in 2013-2015, that is the big boys territory, big budgets.

Maybe in a couple of years they will start to challenge but by then the next-gen consoles will have already established a strong enough install base so as not to be worried by it all.

Taking off the shelf parts and selling via OEM is not going to give you a better price/performance metric compared to a dedicated console manufacturer who is razoring the product. When those parts are finally ready to give you that advantage, you're going to be cumulative 40mn behind in the race and largely irrelevant.

These things are not mass market. There is nothing about them that will ever make them mass market. Multiple hardware configurations of the kind you find in PCs is confusing and will never be mass market for games. These are niche and appeal to the same niche as the PC gamer today. As a PC gamer, I wouldn't buy this, why would I?

aeolist

Banned
So far, these kinds of pre-assembled PCs, packaged in smaller boxes have been really expensive though.

if valve ends up selling these directly i imagine they're not going to be aiming at huge margins, also most custom pc builders do very small volume and pay near retail prices

Jay Fray

Key facts:

-The prototype is an example of a high-end Steam Machine, not all of them.
-There will be multiple Machines from different manufacturers at different price points and configurations to suit different users' needs.
-The Machines will be customizable.
-The Machines are not meant to replace high-end PCs.
-It helps to read the ENTIRE announcement.

Can't be emphasized enough. I'm not sure why so many comments are coming up stating that they're "just a PC with SteamOS." The original announcement made it very clear that's all they were.

Do people who get the prototype get to keep them?

Since the machines run Linux, doesn't it mean that we will be using that Titan GPU simply to stream 95% of our collections?

Can we install Windows on the prototype in order to play all our games with that power? (Dual-boot, I mean)

So according to this logic the PS4 should be about 700$.

You got 8GB of GDDR5
the 7850/7870 GPU ( 200$ )
8 core AMD Jaguar ( around 200$ )

Then you still got the 500GB HDD, the casing, the motherboard, the fans, the bluray drive, etc.!

The difference is Valve is making it perfectly clear they're using off the shelf parts, you can upgrade it yourself, and you can build one yourself. If an i3 and 660 are the baseline minimum for a Steam Machine, you're not building one for less than $500-600. Maybe an OEM can get it down lower than that or Valve's worked out some deals with Intel, Nvidia, motherboard manufacturers, etc, but we'll see.

dex3108

What if Valve make a deal with hardware manufacturers so they sell Steam Machines cheaper than they should and Valve will give them percentage from game sales in return?

BlazinAm

Because GPU makers put that out because there used to be so many shitty units and they don't want call backs. PSU wattage has been vastly inflated as a need and marketing tool, but it's coming back into reality.

Yes.

Tests on the GTX 780 show that the 250W number is about what the card draws anyway.

600W is a a lot of overhead but when you take into account motherboard, RAM, CPU, I/O drives.... 600W is just enough.

bananas

Banned
If I get selected for the Beta, first thing I'm doing is removing that Titan from the Steam Machine and replacing the GTX 670 in my PC.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
at retail, sure. an oem making a few thousand of these things save a lot when buying parts.
So far, these kinds of pre-assembled PCs, packaged in smaller boxes have been really expensive though. The cheapest Alienware small PC is $700, and that has just GTX645, so it's worse than PS4. Even the model they sell for $850 has just GTX645, but better CPU. That one you can upgrade to 760, and then it costs $1000.

Key facts:

-The prototype is an example of a high-end Steam Machine, not all of them.
-There will be multiple Machines from different manufacturers at different price points and configurations to suit different users' needs.
-The Machines will be customizable.
-The Machines are not meant to replace high-end PCs.
-It helps to read the ENTIRE announcement.

But reading is hard. :(

I'm more curious about the OS than the machines but it's nice to see them releasing the specs of the prototypes

Oxn

Tests on the GTX 780 show that the 250W number is about what the card draws anyway.

600W is a a lot of overhead but when you take into account motherboard, RAM, CPU, I/O drives.... 600W is just enough.

Uhhhhh no

Everything else besides the gpu should not be more than 150 tops

that 300 model sounds like it'll cost as much as a very good PC lol. i thought the point was to capture the console crowd with < $600 prices

This is exactly where I want Sony, MS, and Nintendo to go with their future hardware designs. A regular console spec and an enthusiast spec priced above the standard. Both play all the games intended for the machine to play and the only difference being a resolution and framerate bump in the enthusiast model. A mid settings to max settings difference. Make it happen GAF. Let's petition this standard in 5-6 years.

Oshimai

Is it possible to run Windows on Steamboxes or will they be different from computers the same way consoles are?

pixlexic

Banned
You guys do know manufactures do not pay retail for parts.

A 760 isn't going to cost the same to company who buys 100,000 of then compared to what you pay at bestbuy.

This is exactly where I want Sony, MS, and Nintendo to go with their future hardware designs. A regular console spec and an enthusiast spec priced above the standard. Both play all the games intended for the machine to play and the only difference being a resolution and framerate bump in the enthusiast model. A mid settings to max settings difference. Make it happen GAF. Let's petition this standard in 5-6 years.

This doesn't work most of the time. The poor model quickly becomes the "gimped sku" and nobody wants it. People would look at the price of the high-end model and in their mind it would become the de facto cost of the console. See the Wii U basic sku for a recent example.

Silky

Banned

Wouldn't that be a really bad idea?

Dat Titan..... man, next year is going to be crazy if they manage to price a steam machine at around $400 with a very similarly, if not slightly higher spec'ed machine than a PS4.

You guys do know manufactures do not pay retail for parts.

A 760 isn't going to cost the same to company who buys 100,000 of then compared to what you pay at bestbuy.

Exactly, the middle option could be very enticing for most and the highest could be great for us PC Master race types (If we dont build our own)

How do these numbers compare to PS4/XB1 in terms of perf.? Of course the top model is way ahead but again the price would be pretty hefty too. What about the 2 lower models in comparison?

Chris R

As an owner of a PC with 16GB of ram in it already I say bring it on! If all I need to do is upgrade my GPU in another year or two I'll be happy :)

Top Bottom