• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve reveals specs for prototype Steam Machines.

McHuj

Wow. I am impressed. I thought they'd be going for cheap low cost.

But this looks like a very good setup. High, Mid, and Low tiers where the low tier is a really good machine in itself.

My interest has risen substantially.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dat Titan..... man, next year is going to be crazy if they manage to price a steam machine at around $400 with a very similarly, if not slightly higher spec'ed machine than a PS4.
Someone might... I think vendors will decide what to price them. I really doubt Valve will have power over that. However, the more this catches on, the more low-cost vendors sould join in, pushing the prices down.

BlazinAm

Uhhhhh no

Everything else besides the gpu should not be more than 150 tops

i5 and i7 have 85 W TDP. Spinning hard drives are about 40 W. The motherboard is usually close to 100W these add up. I guess for cores that would be an overclocked one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i5 and i7 have 85 W TDP. Spinning hard drives are about 40 W. The motherboard is usually close to 100W these add up.
.........you are wrong and should look up your numbers dude.

Mobo and CPU under an average load can combine to 100W. HDDs are 8-11W load. RAM is nothing. Fan is 2-6W.

dex3108

And they are planning to put those components in case that is smaller than this one (13.25 x 13.25 x 4 in)

DSC_9566.jpg

Source http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...machine-specifications-with-custom-enclosure/

monlo

Cherry picking other expensive components yeah lol.

You also have the most expensive possible 660 on the list. 16GB of unnecessary DDR3, etc.

Your build is horrible imo. A bunch of wasted money.

I mean, it's a rough estimate.

I wasn't trying for the lowest possible denominator... Are you going to go with the cheapest steambox just for the sake of cheap?
Also, change it yourself if you care so much?

I'm more interested in the case than the innards of the Steam boxes because they're not going be sold at console prices.

Whatever case they use, i want it because i know it'll be a nice looking case. Show me da case!

Interfectum

hmmm ...

One of my PC already have a Titan and other (excellent) components, so why do I need this box ?

But there are a lot of other Steam customers who already have perfectly great gaming hardware at home in the form of a powerful PC. The prototype we're talking about here is not meant to replace that.

hmm...

xaosslug

I guess in the end Valve is not bringing PC gaming to the masses.

I really don't know what is this crap for. Why would I buy this instead of building my own PC? I'm not even a "hardcore" PC gaming guy.

indeed.

this seems like such a clusterfuck. lol

Dr.Acula

Banned
hmmm ...

One of my PC already have a Titan and other (excellent) components, so why do I need this box ?

You don't. It's an attempt by Valve to make a "friendly" PC, that acts more like a console. They're keeping it open and upgradable however. Think of it like a PC with training wheels. Valve wants dat living room.

aeolist

Banned

I really don't know what is this crap for. Why would I buy this instead of building my own PC? I'm not even a "hardcore" PC gaming guy.

most people don't want to build their own pc

hmm on second thought I am selling my gaming PC tomorrow. Instead of building a new PC, I will buy a high end Steambox when it comes out. I should have money saved up by next year as well

d0g_bear

If the components are upgradeable and they sell the box for less than the price of buying them individually on newegg then hell yes I'd buy one.

I've always felt people overstate the need for power supply wattage. Market catering to enthusiasts who just want the biggest and best numbers, same as with audiophiles.

Zeth

Oh please Lord Gaben choose me for the beta.

I will definitely get one at launch. Exciting times, friends.

IcyEyes

not every product is being made for you

No, my point is another, I need a good reason to buy it.
For example a good price is already a nice reason, because I will get a nice machine, with a controller and a built-in OS.

If you think I was "polemic", sorry, I'm not, I'm very interested in this machine!

BadWolf

Yeah, now I'm confused.

Thought this was supposed to make things simpler and be more accessible but sounds like the same thing so far.

Top Bottom