• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve should pull a George Lucas and sell Half-Life to someone who gives a shit

jett

D-Member
Why? The people that made HL what it is would no longer be involved. I mean who fucking cares at this point. Are you that invested in the plight of Gordon Freeman?

There is no developer or publisher in existence that want anything to do with it. Half Life 3 reached such a status that making a game that meets the unrealistic expectations that have been set is impossible. If HL3 ever comes out it will invariably be regarded as a massive disappointment.

It's also guaranteed to make money. Like Duke Nukam Forever. I disagree, pubs would jump on that ip if they could. Just like FF7 Remastered, it will be seen as a disappointment, no doubt, but the first game will make money.

packy34

Why? It's not costing Valve any money. I'm sure they've make almost as much money off Half-Life hats than they've made from the actual game. Seems like a win-win as an owner of an IP.

So they should license the rights to a studio who cares about making an actual game, then.

Tainted

I honestly do not know how a game like Half Life would work in today's gaming landscape. Conceptually, the things that made Half Life great for me just do not exist in today's first person shooters.

HL:VR when it releases will essentially be my HL3 :)

Mechazawa

Half Life 2 apparently sold another 2 million copies in the past two years.

Valve seems to be getting their "precious money" just fine.

Zia

Valve don't care about bleeding talent or catering to long-term fans, they certainly don't care about Half-Life, which will not create enough Value for their Consumers vs the user made content they repackage.

Magwik

Banned
Valve keeps to corpse of Half Life around to dangle it anytime they need a mascot or merchandise sales. The second they are done trying to sell you something stupid like Summer trading cards, they toss it back into the closet.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But... the whole reason Half-Life is good is because it's a Valve game.

Ahasverus

There is no developer or publisher in existence that want anything to do with it. Half Life 3 reached such a status that making a game that meets the unrealistic expectations that have been set is impossible. If HL3 ever comes out it will invariably be regarded as a massive disappointment.
Boy what? Every damn publisher on earth would LOVE to make Half Life 3.

Do you think they would even care about the legendary status or whatever? HAHAHAHA. They care about SALES, and HL3, legendary or not, is a guaranteed hit.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This isn't a terrible idea.

In a world where MS paid a ton for Gears of War. I could see a console maker ponying up large amounts of cash to get the IP to their console. Same with Portal which has some value.

It's fun to say things.

I mean, at least 2 million. We have evidence of games selling that much on hype alone already with No Man's Sky. Just start a burner studio, release it. If it does well, great. Make more. If it flops, take the money and run. Company disappears, goes to something new.

Do you regularly tell other much more successful people what to do with their property?

Your ideas aren't determined by your success. It's gonna be okay.

Neith

Banned
I mean, at least 2 million. We have evidence of games selling that much on hype alone already. Just start a burner studio, release it. If it does well, great. Make more. If it flops, take the money and run. Company disappears, goes to something new.

It's fun to say things.

I mean, if they legit had a great script and the gameplay was the same great FPS it could sell 10m lifetime.

But they don't. And they won't. And people care less and less every year.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I just simply want a Valve comic to wrap up the story from the end of Episode 2. Do that and we're good.

HKA6A7

We need a studio with experience, a studio that has already developed and released a Half Life game. What we need... is Gearbox Software.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA

This isn't a terrible idea.

In a world where MS paid a ton for Gears of War. I could see a console maker ponying up large amounts of cash to get the IP to their console. Same with Portal which has some value.

I feel like Valve is too self consciously independent to want to sell their IP even if they have no immediate plans to do anything with them.

What I would like them to do is license the IP to developers willing to do something with them. Although unlike a Star Wars or Marvel I doubt any major studio is willing to put an AAA budget behind it.

I don't know that any developer in the entire industry is capable of making a Half-Life game that feels like Half-Life and meets the standard of quality met by the first two games. Possibly Respawn or Machinegames.

Electret

Sell it to Zenimax and put MachineGames or Arkane to work on it.

Great candidates. I would actually have absolute confidence in MachineGames delivering a worthy sequel. They're that good, and Wolfenstein TNO is stylistically pretty comparable to HL2.

That's just not true. Neil Druckmann, for example, expressed interest in the IP.

Huge Half-Life fan here. The second part of my name is from Alyx Vance. It used to be my second favourite series after Zelda.

I don't care anymore.

yuraya

Watching some other dev butcher the IP is probably not worth the money to Valve.

Half-Life is Source
Half-Life is Counter Strike
Half-Life is Mods
Half-Life is Steam

There aren't any qualified devs out there that could make a big long lasting impact with the game. It wouldn't make sense.

Instro

Well they had Arkane working on a HL game at one point and then canned it for whatever reason. Bizarre because that seems like a great match.

duckroll

I honestly think Respawn could make a great sequel.

Gameplay-wise, sure. Story-wise? HL is unique because it was an interesting non-cinematic sort of story told by a few people who were interested in telling that sort of weird story. There isn't really much that's valuable about HL's story or mythos if just carried on by other people. I think Titanfall 2's campaign shows Respawn is capable of making great campaigns in the spirit of what people liked about Valve SP campaigns, but they should just use that talent to make more original stuff that they want to. Why do people care about specifically having something called Half Life: Whatever? Just move on imo!

jetsetrez

I don't think any developer in the industry could do it justice, or live up to the unattainable level of hype and anticipation it would garner. I think Arkane could probably capture elements, but it would need to be more than simply being faithful to the tone and aesthetic; it would need to break some kind of new ground, or it wouldn't live up the pedigree.

I still think the only way Valve could've/could live up to the hype would be to make a revolutionary VR experience.

sleepnaught

Nobody but old Valve could have done it justice.

Doesn't matter now that all the real talent has left Valve. Now it's just hats and gun skins. Im not sure what they do all day besides count money because Steam hasn't had a major update in years. What a colossal waste of talent and a one of a kind IP. Fuck you, Gabe.

th4tguy

Whatever happened to source 2 engine? Didn't a bunch of lfd 3 stuff leak with the announcement of the new engine? I always assumed hl3 would come with a new engine...

Top Bottom