• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve should pull a George Lucas and sell Half-Life to someone who gives a shit

gatti-man

Why? The people that made HL what it is would no longer be involved. I mean who fucking cares at this point. Are you that invested in the plight of Gordon Freeman?

Well I am but I want to know what the original writers intended with the Gman and everything else. Selling it off wouldntnmean anything to me unless it was written by the original writer.

Zia

Whatever happened to source 2 engine? Didn't a bunch of lfd 3 stuff leak with the announcement of the new engine? I always assumed hl3 would come with a new engine...

Gabe Newell claimed that they'd like all of their "platform" games to eventually be ported to Source 2, but currently the only game on Source 2 is Dota 2. Their second most popular title, CS:GO, might not even receive a Source 2 port instead having Panorama functionality backported. Half of the games in The Lab run on Unity. It's a huge failure as a consumer-facing thing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder how many projects Valve has started and stopped over the years.

For all I know, Valve does give a shit and after working on HL3 for 4 years, they scrapped it.

Floody

The pressure on who ever would buy it would be huge and it'd need to to be perfect or they'd get massive amounts of shit thrown at them. On top of that it wouldn't be cheap.
I don't think many would be willing to buy it.

At this point, I don't care about this franchise anymore. If the developers themselves don't give a shit about their work, why should other people?

SpacLock

There are no writers that worked on Half-Life left at Valve.

True, but they could have plotted out the story already.

Either way, the game would never live up the hype anyway, and I personally believe more people care about the fact such a big franchise hasn't concluded more than they actually care to play it.

Majukun

the interesting part of the franchise is the gameplay part,not the story one, so a different developer doesn't really solves things

13512733.jpg

So we've reached bargaining, have we.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Publishers don't give a shit. Some single player games do sell well, but I don't see Half Life as the big blockbuster it once was.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
But... the whole reason Half-Life is good is because it's a Valve game.

Exactly, I cant think of anyone else who can make it, but then, Valve also dnt have those guys anymore :( Its not fare to compare it with current gen games though, a decade ago when that came, there was nothing like it, it was league ahead of anything else in the market. I still play it every now n then, especially the Ravenholm level, still feels great. Same for Portal 2, the humour, puzzles, characters..havnt found any other game like it. HL3 has to be something like that and just releasing it will surpass expectations..lol.

I just simply want a Valve comic to wrap up the story from the end of Episode 2. Do that and we're good.

Yup, telltale then?

Just be patient like me, your friendly neighborhood skeleton
Thats a good one :)

Forward

This is actually the correct response

it's been over a decade give it up

The correct response is "few still remain who give a shit" - the dwarf, the gyrocopter captain, and Max on a good day. The new kids don't get it, and can't be arsed to get it. And that is fair. Even Half-Life had a half-life.

Bizzquik

Why? The people that made HL what it is would no longer be involved. I mean who fucking cares at this point. Are you that invested in the plight of Gordon Freeman?

Legit Question: Who is left at Valve in a leadership capacity that made HL1 and HL2 in the first place? Really, we'd essentially be talking about a new Half-Life development team anyway, right?

Every year we see what happens when the only connective tissue between a brand and the people working on it is a company logo. In 2017's more extreme case, its called Andromeda, by Bioware.
My point is...don't be against the idea of a team outside of Valve touching the series when the people that made those games great by and large wouldn't be making the sequel, regardless.

For real though, if each of GAF just pitches in a dollar or so...

To code it, we'd do a private chatroom and do something along the lines of "Twitch does programming"

Give the IP to Respawn, Machinegames or the team responsible for Resistance 3

The first two severely lacking compared to old valve, despite the irrational, unfounded reverence received on this forum. Resistance team, lol, might as well get some random guy off the street to do it.

Valve has a specific fingerprint they put on their games. Specific subtleties. These devs aren't up to the task, I'm sorry

FiraB

Banned
Let greatness stay in limbo, it's in the status where it will be damn near impossible to beat HL2. We don't need a repeat of Duke Nukem Forever....

This doesn't make sense because George Lucas cared about Star Wars very much, and while he only made 6 of the 9 films he had planned, he didn't leave a massive hole in the narrative.

True, but they could have plotted out the story already.

Either way, the game would never live up the hype anyway, and I personally believe more people care about the fact such a big franchise hasn't concluded more than they actually care to play it.

I sure as hell would be hyped through the roof to play the sequel to the best single player FPS of all time.

Well I am but I want to know what the original writers intended with the Gman and everything else. Selling it off wouldntnmean anything to me unless it was written by the original writer.

Marc Laidlaw thought every sequel would end without a resolution. Basically Gordon finishing his task and Gman putting him in stasis. Ep3 would have ended the HL2 arc, and HL3 would have been a shift like HL2 was to HL1.

http://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/marc-laidlaw/

Do you have any idea whether Half-Life 3 will ever be released and would you be willing to work on this title?

No idea. And I have no interest in going back. I had ideas for Episode 3. They were all supposed to take the series to a point where I could step away from it and leave it to the next generation. I had hoped for a reset between HL2 and HL3 that was as dramatic as the shift between HL1 and HL2. I honestly don't know if anyone else shared this goal, but it seemed important to me to give ultimate freedom to whoever inherited the series, with my own personal set of loose ends tied up to my satisfaction. Unfortunately, I was not able to do that. But I never thought as far ahead as HL3, unless you were to say that HL3 and Episode 3 were the same thing. I will say that I expected every installment would end without resolution, forever and ever...there was some rumor going around that Ep3 or HL3 would end Gordon Freeman's story, and I don't think that was accurate. My intention was that Ep3 would simply tie up the plot threads that were particular to HL2. But it would still end like HL1 and HL2, with Gordon in an indeterminate space, on hold, waiting for the next game to begin. So one cliffhanger after another.

Shredderi

Lol@ "nobody cares" arguments. There are clearly people who still care, even if you think no one should care anymore.

Yeah at this point I would take a HL3 made by some other competent studio. No need to be revolutionary at this point or anything, just make a solid SP campaign.

RedSwirl

Half Life 3 is going to be a VR title once VR advances well enough.

I've had this thought too. Valve doesn't make sequels just to make sequels. Each game it makes has to be some new technological step forward in some way or at least present some new kind of design. VR is what Valve really seems to be working on at the moment.

Infinity Ward will take up the banner!!

That's a really odd suggestion. Unless you mean Respawn, which after the excellent Titanfall 2 campaign wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

I also think 4A Games would do a good job, having recently playing both Metro games. They'd need a much bigger budget as I found the Metro games a little rough around the edges, and maybe get someone like Raph Colantonio on board as producer or creative director.

In fact saying that, I'm sure Arkane would do a really good job too. I'm not a fan of Bethesda's business practices, but they might be the most appropriate publisher to handle this.

Top Bottom