• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

James Coote

Neo Member
Making maps for HL1 back in the day is what got me into game development. Kinda disappointed it's for DOTA, since I used to love telling stories and guiding the player on a journey through the levels I made for HL1&2, and you can't really do that in the same way with DOTA.

Edit: What I meant to say was "Where's the sci-fi dystopian playground of my childhood damnit!?"

Zeknurn

No. Dota 2's financial model is driven by user-generated content, so this "soft launch" was spurred by a desire to capitalise on that by making things easy as possible for content creators. Even assuming L4D3 is a Q4 2015 title, it'll be at least 5-6 months until Valve teases/announces it.

I think the decision to include a version of Dota 2 running on Source 2 is to not break compatibility of all the user created maps when Dota 2 is inevitably updated. Which will probably happen much closer to now than late next year. Hammer 2014 is backwards compatible anyway so it's all cool.

Hammer finally got the long long overdue update it needed. It's beautiful.

MayMay

Banned
I wonder if Valve will do this to another game, but that might be impossible now.. looking at the amount of UGC on L4D2 etc. It'd all be incompatible (probably). Would be cool though - we saw those internal things that Valve was actually porting L4D2 to Source 2 for test purposes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think the decision to include a version of Dota 2 running on Source 2 is to not break compatibility of all the user created maps when Dota 2 is inevitably updated. Which will probably happen much closer to now than late next year. Hammer 2014 is backwards compatible anyway so it's all cool.

Well, yes, of course, but what I'm saying is that there's no doubt the decision to move the game to Source 2 came about because Valve wanted to further facilitate the creation of user content.

Zeknurn

I wonder if Valve will do this to another game, but that might be impossible now.. looking at the amount of UGC on L4D2 etc. It'd all be incompatible (probably). Would be cool though - we saw those internal things that Valve was actually porting L4D2 to Source 2 for test purposes.

CS:GO and TF2 if they think those games can benefit from the change of engine. But like you said, they need to decide if the loss of the massive amount of user created maps is worth it (and the uproar).

GlamFM

Banned
It means new games, the old Source engine is very old and It started to get dated.

I highly disagree that this means new games - at least from VALVe.

They are also in the engine licensing business - see Titanfall.

Not saying that there wont be any new games from VALVe, but I don´t see why we should get excited just now. I mean VALVe....

derFeef

It means new games, the old Source engine is very old and It started to get dated.

Well presumably they are already working on new games (L4D3). Just because the community now get's a hold of it does not mean Valve is just now starting to make/announce new games.

lol

w3FxY8Q.png

SparkTR

I don´t get it - why is this exciting?

Because Valve engines spawn a breeding ground of creativity for amateurs developers. After GoldSrc released we got Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection, The Hidden, They Hunger, Sven Coop. With Source we got Zombie Panic Source, Gmod, Stanley Parable, Black Mesa, Synergy, Insurgency, The Ship.

We'll need a big tentpole game for all this to rally around, but having one aspect of that ecosystem already out is great.

Because Valve engines spawn a breeding ground of creativity for amateurs developers. After GoldSrc released we got Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection, The Hidden, They Hunger, Sven Coop. With Source we got Zombie Panic Source, Gmod, Stanley Parable, Black Mesa, Synergy, Insurgency, The Ship.

We'll need a big tentpole game for all this to rally around, but having one aspect of that ecosystem already out is great.

Had spawn a breeding ground of creativity. With Valve seemingly no longer giving a bloody damn about the Source engine anymore and competition from UE4/Unity 5 I am not sure why people expect much from Source 2.

eot

Banned
Hammer that doesn't look like a QW editor, what is the world coming to?
Can you still compile BSPs that will load in Quake though?

Oublieux

:O Now Valve will silently and quietly launch Half-Life 3. It'll just be on the store page one day without a word.

*reads thread*
*thinking about what it means*

Well I'm off to preorder Portal 3.

Not jumping any Guns there. Nope, not at all.

Woah this is pretty exciting! If they release this to indies, unreal mught have some competition...though they'd have to match Epic's support and such too.

Top Bottom