• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is now available on GOG

GavinUK86

https://www.gog.com/news/release_vampirer_the_masquerade_bloodlines

image123jhf.jpg

I didn't see a thread about this. Pretty great news. Nice to see more improvements have been made and GOG linking to the patch.

Get on this asap

One of the best rpgs of all time imho.

Get some visual mods and make sure to only get gameplay/content altering mods that work with each other. You won't be disappointed.

I played as a latino vampire who seduced himself through the whole game where he could.

Also it has one of the most genuinely terrifying sections in any game I've played with the hotel section. Fuck me I screamed.

Inumbris

Excellent, this is a game that I've meant to get around to playing for a long time. Now I just need to find the time to play it and I'll be diving in deep :)

GavinUK86

Get on this asap

One of the best rpgs of all time imho.

Get some visual mods and make sure to only get gameplay/content altering mods that work with each other. You won't be disappointed.

I played as a latino vampire who seduced himself through the whole game where he could.

Also it has one of the most genuinely terrifying sections in any game I've played with the hotel section. Fuck me I screamed.

Yup. Yup. The hotel section is one of my favourite, and dare I say greatest, moments in gaming.

cj_iwakura

Greatest PC game of all time, but I'm kind of disappointed they didn't include much in the way of special features. V:TM has books upon books upon books of lore to pull from.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Greatest PC game of all time, but I'm kind of disappointed they didn't include much in the way of special features. V:TM has books upon books upon books of lore to pull from.

White Wolf doesnt own Bloodlines. Activision does.

Kazaam

Such a beautiful gaming experience. That hotel level that was already mentioned and most likely will be mentioned many times in this thread is still one of my favourite game moments of firstly experiencing it myself and then showing it to friends without telling them what's gonna happen. I'm still hoping for a proper sequel, especially after hearing at some point that there was a white wolf license bought by a gaming producer (I might have my info wrong, tho I hope not).

ZehDon

Gold Member
One of the all time greats, and the real successor to Deus Ex in my humble opinion. Own it on Steam, but absolutely buying it again.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I really have to go back and play this at some point with some graphic mods. Is there a good steam controller profile for this?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, it's really cool that there's finally a DRM-free version of the game.

I haven't really played it. Gave it a couple hours back when it first came out in 2004, but wasn't impressed. It was incredibly unpolished. I'll give it another shot now, though. All the comparisons I've heard to Deus Ex suggest that I probably need to play it.

Anyone that likes RPGs needs to buy and play this, like, now.

Cult status well deserved.

I haven't really played it. Gave it a couple hours back when it first came out in 2004, but wasn't impressed. It was incredibly unpolished. I'll give it another shot now, though. All the comparisons I've heard to Deus Ex suggest that I probably need to play it.

Considering the Unofficial Patch has fixed a good portion of the bugs and kept the game alive for years, it's worth to play now.

Mephala

One of the best. I am repeatedly blown away by the voice actors in this. You are right on the lack of extras though. Still, a great buy.

Tremere for life death!

Also, VVaifu
z8zIsj3.jpg

Eusis

Tempting if it gets easier for fixes.

Well, it's probably better to wait until a nice sale, I've had this in my Steam library for forever afterall. I only got far enough to meet a Nosferatsu anyway, though it was pretty damn great for what I played!

GavinUK86

Oh it's still incredibly unpolished but it's polished enough to make it one helluva good game.

Indelible

Just played through this about a year ago, really fantastic game that actually felt ahead of its time it alot of ways.

What visual mods are recommended? Any compilation?

Eh, I don't remember there being any real visual improvement mods for this game, only reskins and a few model swaps.

Mods wise, I'd recommend looking for Clan Quest /w CompMod and Camarilla Edition merged in. And of course any unofficial patches (Which the GOG version seems to have baked in). That'll have you set on the best experience for the game.

This is one of those games which Vanilla simply isn't worth it. The patches, Clan Quest, and Camarilla Edition are what make this game shine. CompMod adds some interesting things, but you shouldn't bother with the standalone version - Just go with the pack-in in Clan Quest if you want it.

deleted

Great game, great service, but 18 Euro? That's a steep entry price for a game that old that's been way cheaper a lot of times.

Ricitor

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines -Lets play it again with mods!

Here is a thread made years ago at this point with some great visual mods. There is fair discussion whether mods are needed but I highly recommend the Unofficial patch. As much as I adore this game in almost every way the bugs can be a pain (even after patch I found some game breaking shit).
The Vanilla experience is strong on its own and after a run through is when I say jump into the more expansive mods.

To all those who are even slightly interested I say jump on this now! Just seeing the name pop up has me itching to start over again.
I have still never done a Malkavian playthrough...

Never played it and a newish PC gamer.
Im buying now.
Buying all the PC titles ive heard so much about.

Deus Ex
SS2
This game.
Gonna be a good weekend.

cj_iwakura

There are lots of great source books in the World of Darkness, but I dunno if any of the novels are worth a lick. Probably not.
Not true, the clan novels are fantastic. It's called the Eye of Gehenna, but read them as clan novels if at all possible. They really ruined it by cramming them together into chronological order. There are 13 in all, and one Bloodlines character has a major role(Beckett).

Never played it and a newish PC gamer.
Im buying now.
Buying all the PC titles ive heard so much about.

Deus Ex
SS2
This game.
Gonna be a good weekend.

Just a quick tip, hold off on playing as a Nosferatu or a Malkavian for your first run. Malkavian's in particular can be a little difficult to understand and can spoil bits of the story.

Tyrus

Banned
Any good controller mods? Would rather play it with my 360 controller on the couch if possible.

Still need to give this a proper go. Was impressed with what I played two years ago, on my underpowered laptop.

Great game, great service, but 18 Euro? That's a steep entry price for a game that old that's been way cheaper a lot of times.

Just noticed that and was about to say it myself when I noticed it's $20 on Steam also.

Coulda sworn this was $5 on Steam. I must have got it in a sale then.

Nokterian

Holy damn that is a first for gog it has been forever on steam and not for a low price either a shame activision never goes any lower beneath the 20 euro's only when it is on sale people will buy it on steam that is.

Holy damn that is a first for gog it has been forever on steam and not for a low price either a shame activision never goes any lower beneath the 20 euro's only when it is on sale people will buy it on steam that is.

Pretty sure Activision as policy never prices anything below $20 outside of very occasional sales.

Eh, I don't remember there being any real visual improvement mods for this game, only reskins and a few model swaps.

Mods wise, I'd recommend looking for Clan Quest /w CompMod and Camarilla Edition merged in. And of course any unofficial patches (Which the GOG version seems to have baked in). That'll have you set on the best experience for the game.

This is one of those games which Vanilla simply isn't worth it. The patches, Clan Quest, and Camarilla Edition are what make this game shine. CompMod adds some interesting things, but you shouldn't bother with the standalone version - Just go with the pack-in in Clan Quest if you want it.

Only the basic patch is included. The plus patch (linked in the GoG page) includes cut content, including previously unreleased tracks from the composer.

I wouldn't recommend installing any other mods but Wesp5's plus patch on one's first playthough, but on subsequent playthroughs that combination of CQM/comp/cammy mods is a great one.

Edit: I missed that thing about vanilla being not worth it. I totally disagree - vanilla (with plus patch) is definitely the way to go for the first time. CQM/Camarilla Mod/Antitribu and other mods add some great quests or mechanics but also detract from the game in other ways. For example, some of the voice acting in the CQM is just terrible, and some of the quests are boring, which kind of ruins the overall amazing polish of the quest design and voice acting in the original game. Plus Camarilla Mod - while fun, actually made my playthrough easier, just slightly more annoying having to feed all the time. (Antitribu is a mess right now but I'm sure it'll improve eventually.)

EGM1966

Just play it if you haven't. Ending goes typically "we ran out of time/money so here's some filler combat" but everything up to that is GOAT RPG with some of the best vice acting ever combined with some of the best and quietly influential missions.

poodaddy

Important question here guys; does this version need the big patch to work or is it just good to go? I've owned this on steam for quite some time but could never get it to work, is the Gog version more up to date?

Edit: never mind guys, my question was asked before I checked the Gog store page because I sometimes leave my head crammed in my ass. Sorry.

Top Bottom