• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Parsnip

Crossposting from steamgaf, new patch is out.

Patch V1.02 change notes:

• Lock-on laser damage corrected for frame rate.
• Lock-on laser target lock-on timing corrected for frame rate.
• Fixed the sliding particle effect for frame rate.
• Fixed an issue where events would occasionally fail to trigger at high frame rates (e.g. the end of Act 1 Mission 6).
• Fixed animation issues when running towards the camera and firing/reloading with keyboard and mouse.
• Fixed an issue where scripted events would progress at the wrong speed at higher frame rates.
• Added “-audio 2” command line; enter the number of a specific audio device to force the game to use that rather than the default device (may help players with audio device issues).

Parsnip

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/870312779399536643

NmlKph6.jpg

any subtle hints at the next port?

Only the executable was patched as far as I can see.

David___

Banned
4 of the 6 challenges down.

Totally forgot how much of a pain challenge 4 is if you dont have a decent strat for wave 2, 4 and 5

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So what's the best anti-aliasing solution for this one? Any MSAA bits that work? Supersampling?

Iazu

Neo Member
So what's the best anti-aliasing solution for this one? Any MSAA bits that work? Supersampling?

There was a SGSSAA bit posted several pages ago but imo it blurred out the image too much for my comfort and had a heftier than usual performance hit from what I could tell.

So I did some SGSSAA testing, tried all the Bayonetta bits but they caused major blurring. The Metal Gear Rising bits however work great (0x000012C1). However there is a pretty hefty performance hit.

Doing 4xSGSSAA my framerate when from 100 - 120 to 40 - 60 on a 980.

Looks so clean though.

EDIT: 2xSGSSAA I'm getting 80+ fps and while not as clean as 4x obviously it looks much better then either the in game FXAA or injecting SMAA via Reshade.

I can't even start the game anymore. Not saying it's related to the last patch. It used to launch without problem before I reinstalled the game. I have made a backup with Steam's tool and decided to uninstall the game for a while.

Today I installed the game from the backup and the only thing it does now when I start it is leaving an iconless space in the taskbar and when clicking on it, shows a black window, quickly turning white that says VANQUISH (Not Responding) in the window bar. When trying to close it, it gives me the "Vanquish.exe is not responding".

I don't know what's causing this now. I verified the game cache, reinstalled the redistributable packages, deactivated my antivirus, shut down any game overlay related utilities, set the Nvidia 3D profile for this game to default. I also tried completely uninstalling and redownloading but it still won't launch.

Strangely, game boots when I lauch Windows 10 into safe mode. Of course I can't play that way because the display driver is disabled and the game is running in slow motion. There must be something in my windows services or startup programms that for some reason prevents ONLY THIS GAME from starting. Finding the cause will be so time consuming I already feel like giving up. It's baffling, because the game was working the first time I installed it.

I haven't changed anything in regards of overlay programms and the only things I installed since then is the Elgato capture software with ffdshow codec, virtualdub and OBS Studio (all of which I'm not running right now) and I doubt those would have any effect on why the game isn't starting anymore.

Trojan X

Banned

Now THAT is badass! I love this game. Going back to play it now on HARD.

I can't even start the game anymore. Not saying it's related to the last patch. It used to launch without problem before I reinstalled the game. I have made a backup with Steam's tool and decided to uninstall the game for a while.

Today I installed the game from the backup and the only thing it does now when I start it is leaving an iconless space in the taskbar and when clicking on it, shows a black window, quickly turning white that says VANQUISH (Not Responding) in the window bar. When trying to close it, it gives me the "Vanquish.exe is not responding".

I don't know what's causing this now. I verified the game cache, reinstalled the redistributable packages, deactivated my antivirus, shut down any game overlay related utilities, set the Nvidia 3D profile for this game to default. I also tried completely uninstalling and redownloading but it still won't launch.

Strangely, game boots when I lauch Windows 10 into safe mode. Of course I can't play that way because the display driver is disabled and the game is running in slow motion. There must be something in my windows services or startup programms that for some reason prevents ONLY THIS GAME from starting. Finding the cause will be so time consuming I already feel like giving up. It's baffling, because the game was working the first time I installed it.

I haven't changed anything in regards of overlay programms and the only things I installed since then is the Elgato capture software with ffdshow codec, virtualdub and OBS Studio (all of which I'm not running right now) and I doubt those would have any effect on why the game isn't starting anymore.

Uninstall Steam and everything related to it and start again from scratch. Of course, download the latest version of the program from the website. If possible, if you can install on a different directory please do so.

Uninstall Steam and everything related to it and start again from scratch. Of course, download the latest version of the program from the website. If possible, if you can install on a different directory please do so.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Steam. Installed the game on the same hard drive, still wouldn't launch.
Uninstalled the game, then I installed it on another hard drive and it launched! I closed the game again and tried starting it another time... and now it's not launching again.

I don't understand anything anymore. It's only this game. I'm tired and give up.

EDIT: It's GeDOSaTo, despite me not seeing the process anywhere of this fucking piece of shit tool it was somehow still running in the background the entire time and hooked into the game. I accidently discovered this by setting the game to Windows 7 compatibility mode, seen the game booting up and displaying the downsampling message at the top.

Trojan X

Banned
... EDIT: It's GeDOSaTo, despite me not seeing the process anywhere of this fucking piece of shit tool it was somehow still running in the background the entire time and hooked into the game. I accidently discovered this by setting the game to Windows 7 compatibility mode, seen the game booting up and displaying the downsampling message at the top.

Can you adjust the setting to see if it makes a difference? If you are actually downsampling then it could be interfering with the game. OR try updating it or installing an older version.

Also, send a message to the developers to see if they have any suggestions for you. They have been super responsive so you may get some assistance.

Miker

Whew, the fight with the two Argus bots made my framerate go from the 90s to the 30s when they were both firing their missile salvos, I was in AR mode, and firing the LFE gun. It's still pretty crazy how many effects Vanquish pushes. This is at 4K on a 1070.

Steamspy numbers haven't seemed to stabilize yet. Vanquish very well could have sold 90-100,000 copies already.

Should be more tbh. People have been requesting this game for years and it's finally here and I expected more fanfare/interest/sales really. A game of this quality should be putting up Dark Souls pc port numbers.

Kccitystar

Try verifying file integrity for the game on Steam. That worked for me a couple of times.

Should be more tbh. People have been requesting this game for years and it's finally here and I expected more fanfare/interest/sales really. A game of this quality should be putting up Dark Souls pc port numbers.

I haven't met people in real life requesting it but I personally wanted a sequel for 6+years.

Honestly if they announce a Kickstarter on E3 I'll buy a 500$ package.

grumble

Tough to say because there can always be a vocal but small number of fans, but the mainstream audience doesn't care as much. Even here you can get a good feel for uptick from the length of OTs.

I also had the same booting issue not related to GeDoSaTo at all, so something else might actually be going on. I fixed it by going into the Vanquish folder under Documents and removing the system data files. Worked perfectly after that.

AR meter recharges faster the higher the framerate is! Strangely enough, not even locking the game to 30 fps gives you the same recharge time as on consoles. The AR meter recharges the quickest on PS3. Likely meaning that the recharge rate on PC is in neither case how it should be.

I created a quick comparison between PS3 and PC 30, 60, 140 fps and the differences are substantially for a game like Vanquish that requires precise timings and moves in certain challenges and battle situations.

http://i.imgur.com/trQuUQ0.gifv

PS3: ~5.23 sec. to recharge from full depletion
PC 30 fps: ~11.03 sec. to recharge from full depletion
PC 60 fps: ~8.10 sec. to recharge from full depletion
PC 140 fps: ~6.12 sec. to recharge from full depletion

As for the AR depletion rate itself, that one seems to be the same in all framerates and on PS3 when your forced into automatic AR mode via life threatening damage level. The depletion rate seems to be different when you trigger it manually (if it's still the same on PS3 and all PC framerates, I haven't tested yet). I have to take it look at it next time. I also haven't compared the recharge rates from partial (non-complete) depletion, but I suspect it's the same. Hopefully I can do more comparisons on week-end.

PC framerate was locked via RTSS, for the info.

I hope Little Stone does more in-depth research in to all of these things here than me. Would be really appreciated to have it all sorted out.

There is a small group of people which have the same thing happen to them with Bayonetta and nobody can pinpoint to a specific thing that is responsible for it. Some claim it's the installation path (only install on OS drive), after over 150 hours of playtime, it also happened to me, it ran flawlessly before all this time. luckily, a simple system restart combined with a router restart did the trick in my case (only restarting my pc, redownloading exe, verifying game cache etc... nothing worked, didn't try the different install path but now I don't need to) it's behaving normally now. Seems to be a bizarre phenomenon.

Jackpot

Banned
Does anyone have a link to all the lore text on the loading screens? Haven't been able to even scroll down on a single one before the level loads.

Dartastic

I'm hoping the game gets synced up to the cutscenes and stuff soon... it still feels completely off and it's really hurting my experience. :(

ArjanN

ooo what's the update for

UPDATE 6 (9 JUNE)

Hi Vanquish people,

Another patch for your weekend enjoyment!

Patch V1.03 change notes:
• Fixed an issue where character dialogue would play too frequently at higher frame rates.
• Fixed an issue where the red bar on the ARS suit would fail to display correctly.
• Fixed a flashing effect in certain visor cutscene sequences.
• Fixed issues where the SSAO would fail to work correctly, and adjusted the strength of the SSAO effect.
• Adjustment to health/AR recovery rates.

Now go get those robots!

Trojan X

Banned
Thanks to Bayonetta, my playing style has completely changed. Been dodging like crazy and getting really up close and personal. I wished the dodging speed isn't temporarily reprimanded the moment I start overheating. That's really tough as boasting is removed anyhow from the moment overheating occurs anyway.

Trojan X

Banned
I completeted HARD mode and unlocked God Hard. My gosh. The last boss was absolute madness in Hard Mode. I know God Hard will require me to change my play style in its entirety but wow... What a game! Vanquish 2 is thoroughly needed.

Looks like someone made some solid cover based gameplay on God Hard. It's not the insane onslaught Japanese videos that we've seen before but his tips are sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plf-GCrJczk

guess who just learned how to record and Gif-ify his gameplay!

giphy.gif

THIS GUY!

but in the interest of actually talking about the game,
God-Hard, act 4 mission 3.

the fight with the 3 big drill dudes and the button of snipers. any tips?
i cant for the life of me find any kind of winning strategy. i can get rid of the snipers fine, but then killing the 3 dudes seems impossible given the constant 1-shot attacks.

Valahart

Guys, I think I just finished the game?

Is that it? Like, for real? That doesn't feel like an ending, is there something more to it?
Last thing I did was fight the red/blue androids....

Trojan X

Banned
Guys, I think I just finished the game?

Is that it? Like, for real? That doesn't feel like an ending, is there something more to it?
Last thing I did was fight the red/blue androids....

Did you completed it on HARD mode? The last bosses were super tough on that mode to the point that I really had to change my playing style.

I thought the ending was sound. I don't understand why some people are so against it. What exactly is the issue with the ending? Are you referring to the story aspect or whom you had to fight against (game design)? Yourself and others, please be specific.

The ending supposed to be a cliffhanger for Vanquish 2. Unfortunately, Vanquish was so ahead of its time, the original sales wasn't that great to warrant the production of Vanquish 2 until now. We got to get on Platinum Games' case though I'm sure they are reading this thread.

Top Bottom