• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So did you just miss everyone buying Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey for $36 over the last several days?

Say what? I've been on GAF and I missed it! Where was the thread that talked about it? We've got stupid threads for the back of boxes but not a super deal on Switch games?

i do understand the convenience argument for having your games available digitally but as consumers we should put some resistance to leavering control of your purchased games to corporations... More so for this case specially due to the nature of the physical media in question.

i say specially because in this case there's more incentive for the consumer to own the physical media. This aren't large disks that need to be storage in a case to keep them save of physical harm. The media here is small cards, so small that you could put like 40 of them in something the size of a DVD case.

There's no need for instalations, so the storage scarcity impact is lessen. Although i fuuly agree that 25GB of available internal storage is pretty small.

We could be smart about it though. Limit yourself to buy the small eShop exclusive content digitally and buy the BIG sized games physically.

Then there are the numerous advantages of physical ownership: Buying big releases on clearance (not the case in eShop so far), lending games, selling games and actually owning the games.

Apologies if this is daft question, but do saves go on the game card (assuming you bought a physical copy), or do they use the storage on the Switch?
Saves go to the Switch storage be it internal or micro SD. No writeable capability on cards.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That doesn't change how the form factor works.They could have bundled in a micro sd card I suppose.

Form factor doesn't matter. It's a completely different type of hardware that's running complelty different types of games.

When you've got a digital game releasing that won't fit in your internal memory that means you should've gone a little higher. I'm not expecting the world, but 64GB would've been fair. In all fairness Sony was equally stingy with their useless 4GB Vita card.

Thanks for the answers.

I think I need to order myself a nice big SD card, or a couple of 64gb ones. Will be buying mostly digital as here in Poland shops don't usually stock much Nintendo stuff.

Bomberman is going to be my first game I think.

Ninja Dom

Both, there is no distributor anymore.

image.php

How much more expensive is physical than eShop?

opricnik

Banned
i do understand the convenience argument for having your games available digitally but as consumers we should put some resistance to leavering control of your purchased games to corporations... More so for this case specially due to the nature of the physical media in question.

i say specially because in this case there's more incentive for the consumer to own the physical media. This aren't large disks that need to be storage in a case to keep them save of physical harm. The media here is small cards, so small that you could put like 40 of them in something the size of a DVD case.

There's no need for instalations, so the storage scarcity impact is lessen. Although i fuuly agree that 25GB of available internal storage is pretty small.

We could be smart about it though. Limit yourself to buy the small eShop exclusive content digitally and buy the BIG sized games physically.

Then there are the numerous advantages of physical ownership: Buying big releases on clearance (not the case in eShop so far), lending games, selling games and actually owning the games.

Saves go to the Switch storage be it internal or micro SD. No writeable capability on cards.

This certainly reads like PR comment.

Limit your digital games , like what the fuck dude ? There is no advantage of physical ownership in the end if they wanted to they would release an update dont let you play anymore. No difference.

Thraktor

edit: Now I'm just confused by everything

Malick[AI] quoted the price of a 128 gigabit eMMC module, which is actually just 16 gigabytes. The module used in Switch is actually twice the capacity.

Malick[AI];230664981 said:
Yeah, the official P/N they don't stock. This was just more of a point that wholesale IC Flash is very inexpensive, especially going from 32GB to 128GB. From a hardware design standpoint 32GB and 128GB occupy the same footprint on a PCB and the heat difference is negligible.

I am buying a Switch and have my 200GB MicroSD ready to go, but from a hardware engineering and parts sourcing perspective it seems silly to go with 32GB onboard in 2017.

But your illustration was that a 16GB module is only slightly more expensive than a 4GB module. Which isn't that surprising, as you don't see 4GB eMMCs used that much any more. Once you go up in capacity, though, the jump in price will become greater, as the controller/interface logic becomes a smaller portion of the cost. It seems like 32GB is the sweet-spot for pricing, as I'm not aware of a single phone which has a larger default capacity than that.

I say this as someone who's going pretty much all digital with Switch, and I would have preferred if they had gone with more built-in storage, but even 5 or 10 dollars can be a surprisingly large amount in the BoM of a device like this. That could be a more powerful SoC, or higher capacity RAM, or a high-quality IPS panel instead of a cheap TN one, and with system storage being one aspect which is easily expandable it may have just been a place where they felt they could economise on the built-in components.

Form factor doesn't matter. It's a completely different type of hardware that's running complelty different types of games.

When you've got a digital game releasing that won't fit in your internal memory that means you should've gone a little higher. I'm not expecting the world, but 64GB would've been fair. In all fairness Sony was equally stingy with their useless 4GB Vita card.
This line of reasoning only applies if digital is the standard. As of right now, not only is digital not the standard, but it doesn't look like it will be for a while. What you just said would apply to something like a PSP Go, where going digital is the primary (and only) way to play games. Physical is still the primary method for playing Switch games.

Again, if you plan on going digital, you should already know that you'll have to pay more for extra storage at some point, period. There is no excuse for you not knowing that or expecting something different/cheaper in 2017, especially if you're a gamer. This is something that every other part of the electronics industry and their consumers understand, and that includes the poor, uninformed casuals that people like to bring up so often. Video games and their customers aren't special snowflakes that get to play by a completely different set of rules from the rest of the tech industry. In the large scheme of things, 32GB is completely fair. Not ideal, mind you, but fair.

This line of reasoning only applies if digital is the standard. As of right now, not only is digital not the standard, but it doesn't look like it will be for a while. What you just said would apply to something like a PSP Go, where going digital is the primary (and only) way to play games. Physical is still the primary method for playing Switch games.

Again, if you plan on going digital, you should already know that you'll have to pay more for extra storage at some point, period. There is no excuse for you not knowing that or expecting something different/cheaper in 2017, especially if you're a gamer. This is something that every other part of the electronics industry and their consumers understand, and that includes the poor, uninformed casuals that people like to bring up so often. Video games and their customers aren't special snowflakes that get to play by a completely different set of rules from the rest of the tech industry. In the large scheme of things, 32GB is completely fair. Not ideal, but fair.

Just to add to this, personally, I'd rather have more control over how much I'm paying rather than leaving it to the company releasing the device. If I'm going to have to upgrade anyway, I'd rather them minimize the cost added to the system. A perfect example of this is how I'm annoyed the PS4 Pro included a 1TB drive because either the cost could have been less with a 500GB drive, or they could have included something additional like a UHD drive since the 1TB drive is getting removed by me anyway. In that case, it's more probable I would have benefited from them including a smaller storage than them to include a larger one because either way it was getting removed. In the case of the Switch, either way, you're likely going to be buying a SD Card anyway.

Again, if you plan on going digital, you should already know that you'll have to pay more for extra storage at some point, period. There is no excuse for you not knowing that or expecting something different/cheaper in 2017, especially if you're a gamer. This is something that every other part of the electronics industry and their consumers understand, and that includes the poor, uninformed casuals that people like to bring up so often. Video games and their customers aren't special snowflakes that get to play by a completely different set of rules from the rest of the tech industry. In the large scheme of things, 32GB is completely fair. Not ideal, mind you, but fair.
Yep, hit the nail on the head here. They could've put in 50gb or 75gb, but you'd still need an SD card if you are primarily digital, and that would increase the price of the console. This is the best option possible for the price they are charging, and it's standard for mobile tech. My Galaxy s7 costs $800, and it still only comes with 32gb of storage, with the option of expanding through micro sd.

m00h

Banned
I hope for larger microSDXC cards in the near future. I'd love to have one that is larger than 256GB. 1TB would be enough for me for the Switch lifetime I think.

PetrCobra

The download sizes can be found at Nintendo Japan's webpages for all these games. Ex: MK8D - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aabpa/index.html, the info can be found at the right of the webpage, along with the price.

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 13.4 GB
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 1.09 GB
- I Am Setsuna 1.40 GB
- Nobunaga’s Ambition 5 GB
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 7 GB
- Snipperclips 1.60 GB
- Dragon Quest Heroes I·II 32 GB (SD card required)

Source:
http://gonintendo.com/stories/274353-rumor-switch-games-digital-file-size-round-up
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...y_been_leaked_french/?st=izdlaecs&sh=bde4f910
https://www.nintendo-town.fr/2017/02/19/la-taille-des-jeux-nintendo-switch-sur-leshop/

So it seems that for me it's Zelda and DQH physical, puyo puyo, Snipperclips, Setsuna (surprised it's that small) digital and I can keep waiting for the SD cards to become cheaper (right, the small ones are already cheap, but I want a big one). Guess Mario Kart may have to be physical as well but that still fits... I'll decide when it's out.

I hope for larger microSDXC cards in the near future. I'd love to have one that is larger than 256GB. 1TB would be enough for me for the Switch lifetime I think.

The standard for those cards has already been set, and Switch already supports them, it's just a matter of manufacturers starting to produce them. You'll probably start to see those cards start rolling out in the next year or so.

zenspider

Not everyone wants to do that, nor should they have to spend more money on a SD card if they want to go digital.

They shouldn't have to?

Either you're saying Nintendo should limit max game sizes, or internal storage should've been bigger, which would have surely increased the price to say, I dunno, the system plus the cost of an SD card.

I do not see this as an issue. My only doubt I's how will SD speed affect game performance and loading times.

Modern micro SD's are generally faster than what's being used in other consoles atm:

Switch: micro SD XC are usually about 90MB/s but can go as high as 275MB/s

PS4: The 5400 RPM SATA II Hard Drive in the PS4 clocks in at 75MB/s, Blu Ray in PS4 is 6 speed at 26MB/s

It's being sold as a singular game, so it should be treated as one. The fact that it's only 32gigs is lucky honestly. Imagine if this console had a port of DOOM.

People are acting as if digital doesn't matter and those that buy digital should get shafted storage-wise because retail is a "more popular" form of purchase.

Lucky has nothing to do with it. The game card comes in these sizes: 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 16 GB, or 32 GB (source).

On the PS4, the games are sized 22.8GB and 23.4GB, respectively. SE had to reduce the size by over 30% to fit them on the game card.

- everybody hoping nintendo would release the Switch for $250

- MSRP is $300, a lot of people complain ("should have been cheaper)

- nintendo says they would not sell the switch at loss, and they had to remove some ideas from the project to keep it cheaper, and $300 would be the lowest at this point

- some people start freaking out that nintendo should have included a larger memory. if that was the case, the price would have been higher than $300

- people would complain that the price was higher than $300, and they could always buy extra storage if they wanted, so it would be smarter to sell it cheaper with a smaller memory

you can't win here. you either pay more for upgraded hardware or not. no discussion. just ask apple why they don't release ipad and iphone with larger storage for the same price

This certainly reads like PR comment.

Limit your digital games , like what the fuck dude ? There is no advantage of physical ownership in the end if they wanted to they would release an update dont let you play anymore. No difference.
Of course this is PR, Pro Consumer (PC) PR that is.

Do you remember the precedernt set by MS previous to the X1 one launch and how this costed them market share lost that Sony manage to capture with it's more physcial media friendly politics? i can't even imagine what would happen to the reputation and consumer trust of one of the 3 console manufacturers if they did the dumb move you suggest, that would be a red button no one would want to push.

And no differnce? Did you read the post you replied to? The amount of freedom and control the user has over physcial media is at another level, specially since we are talking about consoles here and not something like Steam. Sell, share, interchange, play whenever as long as your hardware works. Nintendo isn't even allowing somthing like "family sharing" yet, acording to Shinya Takahashi in the 1 2 Switch preview event.

The Switch physical media is tiny, easy to storage, doesn't require installations and it might be provide faster loading times than the more expensive Micro SD cards. With the Switch it makes more sense to use physical media than an X1 or PS4 for example.

- nintendo says they would not sell the switch at loss, and they had to remove some ideas from the project to keep it cheaper, and $300 would be the lowest at this point

Agree with everything you said, Switch is a good balance between price performance, just curious what ideas did nintendo say they had to remove to keep the price down?

greelay

Agree with everything you said, Switch is a good balance between price performance, just curious what ideas did nintendo say they had to remove to keep the price down?

They said that about a pack-in game specifically, but I do not remember them saying about a part of the console specifically.

Top Bottom