• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo details how physical games bigger than 32GB will work on Switch

I imagine eventually Nintendo will have to give in and produce games on larger size cards. I wonder if we'll get back to the days of the late SNES where they would advertise how large the size of the cart is on the back of the box? Like when Chrono Trigger was a 32-Meg quest?

It's not that easy, flash memory is expensive compared to disks. If a 64gb card was available I doubt they'd want to use it sense the card would cost as much as the game itself.

Fiendcode

Why is it that no one expects Nintendo to eat the cost of more internal storage but third parties are expected to use more expensive carts? Hopefully this will at least put an end to the notion that there is no difference or drawbacks for carts versus disks.
Because there is no "eating the cost". A bigger chunk of flash would result in a higher pricepoint.

Would you prefer if the PS4 had 32 GB of flash memory instead? You didn't have to upgrade. Your whole post is a reach. The switch memory situation is all around worse than ps4s.
If PS4 used a more modern media format not so archaically slow it forced full game installs then I'm sure Sony would. They shipped PS3s with as little as 12GB and Vitas with 0GB.

If you buy physical retail then you really don't need a memory upgrade on Switch fir awhile. Casual gamers likely never will.

The_Lump

Banned
The "problem" then is the internal memory being titchy. Of course you can buy an SD card, but I think a lot of people expect the internal memory to be up to scratch, which quite frankly it isn't. And if you're forcing downloads of key game modes because you can't provide big enough cards, then that's also a problem.

However these were all trade-offs made to bring the price of the Switch down. To be honest I'm happy with that. Its a super powerful piece of kit, and I was happy to spend a little extra on an SD card.

Ok yeah fair enough I see that. I guess for a new user just buying the console and a game, they would (and should) expect to be able to play it out of the box. Nintendo should consider bundling an SD card in with the console really, especially now games above the internal size are starting to appear.

gtj1092

Because there is no "eating the cost". A bigger chunk of flash would result in a higher pricepoint.

If PS4 used a more modern media format not so archaically slow it forced full game installs then I'm sure Sony would. They shipped PS3s with as little as 12GB and Vitas with 0GB.

If you buy physical retail then you really don't need a memory upgrade on Switch fir awhile. Casual gamers likely never will.

It would cost Nintendo more they have a choice or not whether they pass that on to consumers or not just like 3rd parties do with cart cost.

They would never ship a PS4 with 32 GB now that 40% of their game sales come from PSN.

Let some of you tell it the Switch is without flaw.

RootCause

Ps4 and Xbox owners have been living with this reality forever. Day one patches, content patches are the norm now.
Not really the same thing. As you're actually getting the full game on the disc. In this case, you'd have to download the rest of the game modes.

I'll be getting mine on the eshop though, I'm not waiting that long for the physical, plus it will be a go to game on my switch.

shanafan

Ok yeah fair enough I see that. I guess for a new user just buying the console and a game, they would (and should) expect to be able to play it out of the box. Nintendo should consider bundling an SD card in with the console really, especially now games above the internal size are starting to appear.

Did Titanfall for Xbox 360 come with a hard drive for those players who didn't have one but require one for the game?

Should online-only games come with a paid membership?

Not really the same thing. As you're actually getting the full game on the disc. In this case, you'd have to download the rest of the game modes.

I'll be getting mine on the eshop though, I'm not waiting that long for the physical, plus it will be a go to game on my switch.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition didn't come with MW Remaster on disc. It was a download.

FinalAres

I have 6 full size games, 5 eshop games, 8 demos and 1 beta of DQX and I'm only using about 10gb. It's not that small of storage.
How the hell can you have all that and are only using 10GB??? Are you using a stretched definition of full sized games? When you say 6 full sized games do you mean downloaded?

Fiendcode

It would cost Nintendo more they have a choice or not whether they pass that on to consumers or not just like 3rd parties do with cart cost.

They would never ship a PS4 with 32 GB now that 40% of their game sales come from PSN.

Let some of you tell it the Switch is without flaw.
Switch was already cutting it close on costs given the tech packed in at that pricepoint. Nintendo wasn't going to eat even more.

What percent of Vita game sales came from digital? Is that why it came with 0GB?

RootCause

Did Titanfall for Xbox 360 come with a hard drive for those players who didn't have one but require one for the game?

Should online-only games come with a paid membership?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition didn't come with MW Remaster on disc. It was a download.
Still entirely different than what's happening here.

gtj1092

Switch was already cutting it close on costs given the tech packed in at that pricepoint. Nintendo wasn't going to eat even more.

What percent of Vita game sales came from digital? Is that why it came with 0GB?

What does Vita have to do with PS4 and people complained about Vita coming with no storage. It's memory solution was bad. Vita was designed in 2011 not 2017. The world has changed. Expectations are adjusted.

KtSlime

How the hell can you have all that and are only using 10GB??? Are you using a stretched definition of full sized games? When you say 6 full sized games do you mean downloaded?

6 full games on cart of course. The Switch has plenty of space if used as intended, those who choose to buy 7000 yen titles on the eshop should already know and have come to terms that there are certain downsides to digital distribution.

FinalAres

6 full games on cart of course. The Switch has plenty of space if used as intended, those who choose to buy 7000 yen titles on the eshop should already know and have come to terms that there are certain downsides to digital distribution.

Then what a dumb point to make. "I'm not using the internal space, and as a result, hardly any of the internal space is used up". Also if the Switch was 'intended' to be used with carts, then why exactly do they sell ALL of the games sold physically on the eShop.

If you have to purposely obfuscate the truth in order to defend your favourite company, then you should know that its not worth doing.

KtSlime

Then what a dumb point to make. "I'm not using the internal space, and as a result, hardly any of the internal space is used up". Also if the Switch was 'intended' to be used with carts, then why exactly do they sell ALL of the games sold physically on the eShop.

If you have to purposely obfuscate the truth in order to defend your favourite company, then you should know that its not worth doing.

You can't compare the PS4 and the Switch storage directly because they use it differently, that's not an obfuscation, that's the truth. To use a cart on the Switch it does not require being installed, the PS4 does, so the PS4 *needs* more space.

They sell all the games on the eshop because they know some people like to give up their rights and waste money for the convenience of not having to swap carts and getting the game a few hours sooner.

FinalAres

You can't compare the PS4 and the Switch storage directly because they use it differently, that's not an obfuscation, that's the truth. To use a cart on the Switch it does not require being installed, the PS4 does, so the PS4 *needs* more space.

They sell all the games on the eshop because they know some people like to give up their rights and waste money for the convenience of not having to swap carts and getting the game a few hours sooner.

The sell all games on the eShop because it is the future that consumers are moving to, leaving you behind in your little game cave :)

EDIT: I'll leave the above there so people can see what I said, but I just want to say I apologise if I got a bit arguey. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion without being belittled. Apologies.

The sell all games on the eShop because it is the future that consumers are moving to, leaving you behind in your little game cave :)

If the future from Nintendo is full priced, zero tradability, zero sellability, zero lendability, zero future compatability; then I want nothing to ever do with their eshop.

Kolibri

Retro collecting in the future is going to be so shit.

"Look at my pile of unplayable games, due to the servers no longer being available"

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
This convolution is precisely why Switch won't get big-named titles like COD, Battlefront or Battlefield. Not only do those games weigh in at 40GB+ on Day 1, they rely heavily on DLC to balance the books - the average COD DLC is about 10GB.

rudger

They are complete, not patched.

They are playable. They are not necessarily complete. You ignored all my arguments but that doesn't invalidate them. If I have to download 20gb day one to play Gears online modes, that is far from having a complete package. By the same token, they already said this game would be playable without downloading anything. So how is this different?

Edit:
Retro collecting in the future is going to be so shit.

"Look at my pile of unplayable games, due to the servers no longer being available"

This I can sadly agree with, though it's hardly unique to the Switch. Here's hoping their patent for sharing patches actually goes somewhere.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They are playable. They are not necessarily complete. You ignored all my arguments but that doesn't invalidate them. If I have to download 20gb day one to play Gears online modes, that is far from having a complete package. By the same token, they already said this game would be playable without downloading anything. So how is this different?

Edit:

This I can sadly agree with, though it's hardly unique to the Switch. Here's hoping their patent for sharing patches actually goes somewhere.

Keeping online modes out of the disc or cartridge is fine. You can't access these modes without an online connection anyway. If you buy something physical, the complete game should be on the disc, playable offline from start to finish. Patches and optional DLC is something completely different.

One game is missing if you buy the CoD bundle, yes, but that's well known. It's not an "half assed" situation where you install the disc and get to play half the game. You simply get nothing.

FinalAres

I agree, and I don't think just because in this example the content is single player makes any difference at all. The same decision is being made to cut content from the disk; the only reason it's multiplayer at all being cut first is because that's often seen as the lesser priority.

I do think that this specific example is an indicator of a greater issue with the 32GB cards. Does it matter that some game modes have to be downloaded? nopnopnopnop. Does it matter that developers are going to be discouraged from delivering the kinds of games that take up a lot of space? Heck yes. And they will be discouraged because if you can't even fit in 10 games where you need a massive day 1 download, you'll be pissed off.

It won't affect the vast majority of people, and there are super simple work arounds for the individuals. But it'll put developers off producing the massive HD games that to be honest, a lot of us want on Switch!

Not a problem at all ... play the game out of the box just fine.. if you want dlc and any additional content you need more memory.. This isnt any different than any other console or portable system.

complete non issue.

Gamezone

Gold Member
But as mentioned before, we don't know much about NBA2K18. The game could be shipped on a 32 GB cartridge for all we know. The game is getting the same service treatment as the PS4 and XBO, and we know DLC and patches for these games are huge. Missing modes could also be multiplayer releated

Furyous

What's stopping Nintendo from releasing games on microsd card or requiring official Nintendo microsd card certification? They could get away with $60 prices at the point in my opinion. Good on Nintendo for clearing this up but a lot of questions remain and I hope Nintendo answers them.

Ninja Dom

What's stopping Nintendo from releasing games on microsd card or requiring official Nintendo microsd card certification? They could get away with $60 prices at the point in my opinion. Good on Nintendo for clearing this up but a lot of questions remain and I hope Nintendo answers them.

Piracy?

jmizzal

This convolution is precisely why Switch won't get big-named titles like COD, Battlefront or Battlefield. Not only do those games weigh in at 40GB+ on Day 1, they rely heavily on DLC to balance the books - the average COD DLC is about 10GB.

Why can people just buy SD cards?

If your that hardcore of a gamer, for those kinds of games, your gonna invest in an SD card

-shadow-

The Secure part of 'Secure Digital' doesn't really hold much water these days.

rudger

Keeping online modes out of the disc or cartridge is fine. You can't access these modes without an online connection anyway. If you buy something physical, the complete game should be on the disc, playable offline from start to finish. Patches and optional DLC is something completely different.

One game is missing if you buy the CoD bundle, yes, but that's well known. It's not an "half assed" situation where you install the disc and get to play half the game. You simply get nothing.

I'm so confused. I didn't mention COD, but the main point of my post was this:

But as mentioned before, we don't know much about NBA2K18. The game could be shipped on a 32 GB cartridge for all we know. The game is getting the same service treatment as the PS4 and XBO, and we know DLC and patches for these games are huge. Missing modes could also be multiplayer releated

They made a point of saying the game will be playable without any download, what modes is yet to be determined. So you appear to agree with me but are arguing with me. I don't understand. I was taking issue with saying a game ships "complete" just because you're okay with the features it lacks. If I buy Gears, I almost certainly want to play multiplayer, so downloading a 20gb "patch" in order to access it doesn't really feel like the complete game was included since the part I most want isn't even there.

And even as a compromise I don't necessarily agree with not including multiplayer on the Switch version which I went over in a previous post. I hope developers include the ability to play with other Switches without requiring a download since that is one of the more valuable features for a portable system. Only time will tell.

Edit:
The Secure part of 'Secure Digital' doesn't really hold much water these days.

Lol. I totally forgot that's what the S stood for.

I think this is entirely fair if the games actually are shipping on 32GB cards and can't be squeezed into that space. It would be much better to have the game than not have it.

But the problem is it sets a precedent for other publishers to ship their game on a smaller capacity game card (like 8GB) and offer the rest as a download. It'll be interesting to see how big the download for NBA 2K18 is, but I'm guessing 2K Games went for an 8GB card, because "microSD required" suggests the optional download will be BIG.

Hats off to TT Fusion who managed to reduce Lego City's footprint to just 8GB on Switch while offering significant graphical upgrades over the Wii U version, including texture quality.

JoeNut

i mean surely don't make the console this way if it requires further memory than it's capable of, just add more storage in the first place. Poor design

Guess I won't be buying any third party games on Switch then.

Can't believe Nintendo didn't know this was coming. If they knew it was going to be a requirement for larger games then they should have supplied enough internal storage.

What a joke.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Guess I won't be buying any third party games on Switch then.

Can't believe Nintendo didn't know this was coming. If they knew it was going to be a requirement for larger games then they should have supplied enough internal storage.

What a joke.

I still don't get it. If they put the game on an 16 GB cartridge, that would require 9 GB to be downloaded, and there are enough internal space to handle that.

I still don't get it. If they put the game on an 16 GB cartridge, that would require 9 GB to be downloaded, and there are enough internal space to handle that.
Which part don't you get? Physical games larger than 32GB will require you to download the rest of the game.

When multiple games do that you run out of space very quickly considering the Switch only has 32GB of internal storage, which is pitiful.

It was a poor design decision that was easily foreseen by Nintendo, and they went with it anyways.

Haano

I'm sorry but I won't be purchasing games that require me to have to download content. That means you always need an internet connection. And like me, if you homebrew research on the switch this means you can't buy these games. That sucks big time.

When I buy a game, I expect it to be 100% on cart. not some crap that needs to be downloaded. Stop being cheap Nintendo.

diaspora

I'm sorry but I won't be purchasing games that require me to have to download content. That means you always need an internet connection. And like me, if you homebrew research on the switch this means you can't buy these games. That sucks big time.

When I buy a game, I expect it to be 100% on cart. not some crap that needs to be downloaded. Stop being cheap Nintendo.
Sell your Switch now then.

Every user that never fills up their internal memory is a user that Nintendo have overcharged.

At least they don't enforce proprietary memory cards.

Which part don't you get? Physical games larger than 32GB will require you to download the rest of the game.

When multiple games do that you run out of space very quickly considering the Switch only has 32GB of internal storage, which is pitiful.

It was a poor design decision that was easily foreseen by Nintendo, and they went with it anyways.

What do you imagine to have been a workable alternative? More internal storage out of the box?

What do you imagine to have been a workable alternative?

And why can't you just, like... get a micro-SD card? Instead of committing to never ever buy a third party game, for this console that you already own, because you might someday run out of internal storage? That shit seems downright pedantic

Getting a SD card is not the problem though.

The problem is that they are selling the incomplete base game on the cart.

What do you imagine to have been a workable alternative? More internal storage out of the box?
Ideally they'd use a different media to store their games, one that can actually fit the whole content of the games on it.

I'm sure they have hardware engineers/designers to solve these problems that no one has come across before.

Edit: More internal storage wouldn't solve the problem, as you'd still need to download the rest of the game, it would be a bandaid on the problem.

rudger

Ideally they'd use a different media to store their games, one that can actually fit the whole content of the games on it.

I'm sure they have hardware engineers/designers to solve these problems that no one has come across before.

...is this a joke?

Edit: More internal storage wouldn't solve the problem, as you'd still need to download the rest of the game, it would be a bandaid on the problem.

What different medium is there that would work in a portable, and not be even more expensive than what they are using?

Gamezone

Gold Member

What part I didn't get? The game is far less than 32 GB.

Top Bottom