• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicles (at least tanks and planes) are now Class Specific in Battlefield 1

Good. No more using vehicles as transport. I just want some decent tutorials, as otherwise I tend to jump in, die, apologise, and never bother with vehicles again.

Less messy then. I agree.

Of course having big impressive moments in the game is fun for Youtube views but it's not how you play the game (well the franchise was not about this before).

Some are suggesting dynamic roles. it would be even better.

Now we just need more details or else... else we'll keep speculating in more or less crazy ways :p

Ovid

I'm glad they changed that.

Trying to get an attack chopper in BF4 was a losing battle. As much as I play that game (and still do) I can never get one. That's why I'm terrible with it because I never get a change to use it.

Well I guess most of the people in this thread never liked Battlefield to begin with.

Chû Totoro;202868881 said:
Of course having big impressive moments in the game is fun for Youtube views but it's not how you play the game (well the franchise was not about this before).

wtf am I reading

Shane89

it's ok for aerial vehicles... i mean, medic/assoult etc cannot surely drive an airplane... but, should be able to run ANY terrestrial vehicle... IMHO

krang

Some are suggesting dynamic roles. it would be even better.

Now we just need more details or else... else we'll keep speculating in more or less crazy ways :p

DICE should actively stop their games from being impressive from now on. I want to be 100% whelmed. No more, no less.

Well I guess most of the people in this thread never liked Battlefield to begin with.

wtf am I reading

Sorry maybe I should've explain:
- imo it's not how you should play the game (trying to make the game look like a Mickael Bay movie or Just Cause which is more in the everything can be crazy types of games)
- it's not how I was playing (and enjoying) Battlefield 2

Skip the 3rd, tried the 4th and didn't like at all.

So yeah sorry maybe more my opinion than the community I guess.

Ovid

Been playing BF since BF1942 on my PC.

Impressive moments were always part of the game through the use of FRAPS.

It's just that video game moments have gone mainstream because of YT. Also, a lot of the younger players today bring the play style of CoD into this game. BF is a team based game not a one man army game.

Chû Totoro;202869379 said:
- imo it's not how you should play the game (trying to make the game look like a Mickael Bay movie)

This is a fucking first.
"Hey everyone! You shouldn't play Battlefield like a badass!"

krang

Chû Totoro;202869379 said:
- imo it's not how you should play the game (trying to make the game look like a Mickael Bay movie or Just Cause which is more in the everything can be crazy types of games)

I see what you mean. I loved BF2, but BF2142 Titan mode was one epic spectacle that altered my opinion on how BF should play out. Big battles are great, but interspersed set pieces were extraordinary in that large scale environment.

Ovid

I see what you mean. I loved BF2, but BF2142 Titan mode was one epic spectacle that altered my opinion on how BF should play out. Big battles are great, but interspersed set pieces were extraordinary in that large scale environment.

I hated that game.

lionelhutz

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but as middle ground, what if they limit this change to the spawn area? Once vehicles leave the spawn they're open for everyone and fair game regardless of class.

I'm torn on the decision because I like the chaos, but if it in anyway helps the attack helicopter loaded with people from crashing on the first 20 seconds I'm all for it.

Ovid

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but as middle ground, what if they limit this change to the spawn area? Once vehicles leave the spawn they're open for everyone and fair game regardless of class.

I'm torn on the decision because I like the chaos, but if it in anyway helps the attack helicopter loaded with people from crashing on the first 20 seconds I'm all for it.

I think they should limit people who have piloted the aircraft to give others a chance to use it.

BF1943 had a spawn area that people use to crowd around. That sort of made fair game for everyone. BF4 made it so that you can spawn directly into the aircraft.

That's so dumb.

This is a fucking first.
"Hey everyone! You shouldn't play Battlefield like a badass!"

So ok maybe even more clear because "imo" is not enough.
I LIKE TO PLAY THE GAME THIS WAY BUT IF YOU DON'T THEN IT'S FINE.

Reading the news, it's just that if MP evolves in the way I like more then I'm happy. Else I won't threat DICE or anyone, don't worry. I'll just try the game and see how it is for me. So yeah I think the game is more enjoyable without people trying to do crazy things (I won't go to the point to link some Youtube videos, I'm sure you know a few Battlefield 4 Top 10).

At the end, speculation in the community and no way to please everyone for DICE. I may be in the minority but I used to know Battlefield for being the more serious franchise over CoD. That's why I have this in my mind (again maybe it changed and people want this so DICE will please the majority don't worry.. and I may like to play this way too one day).

lionelhutz

I think they should limit people who have piloted the aircraft to give others a chance to use it.

BF1943 had a spawn area that people use to crowd around. That sort of made fair game for everyone. BF4 made it so that you can spawn directly into the aircraft.

That's so dumb.

That could work too. A server setting for this option would be nice. Allow the players to choose how they want to experience the game.

That's so dumb.

My bet is it will work the exact same way in Battlefield 1.
Especially if you have to choose a class beforehand.
Spawn directly into the vehicle, fight for a spawn point on it by mashing the button on the map screen. If you spawn as a pilot in a tank or plane, you are dedicated to that role. That literally means spawning into the vehicle, not getting into it on foot.

Dislike. And I play exclusively engineer, too.

Tanks and heavy vehicles are too valuable to not have access to using. I pick up abandoned vehicles all the time in BF4 and I'd hate to not have that opportunity as a different class.

Chû Totoro;202869761 said:
So ok maybe even more clear because "imo" is not enough.
I LIKE TO PLAY THE GAME THIS WAY BUT IF YOU DON'T THEN IT'S FINE.

Reading the news, it's just that if MP evolves in the way I like more then I'm happy. Else I won't threat DICE or anyone, don't worry. I'll just try the game and see how it is for me. So yeah I think the game is more enjoyable without people trying to do crazy things (I won't go to the point to link some Youtube videos, I'm sure you know a few Battlefield 4 Top 10).

At the end, speculation in the community and no way to please everyone for DICE. I may be in the minority but I used to know Battlefield for being the more serious franchise over CoD. That's why I have this in my mind (again maybe it changed and people want this so DICE will please the majority don't worry.. and I may like to play this way too one day).

BF2 managed to have more nuance in the classes while being more strategic and team focused without putting a restriction on vehicles.
Ever since then they have been cutting more. Making it less ambitious. BF3 and BF4 managed to retain at least some of its identity by maintaining the dynamic playing field with vehicles. It's another step back.

Alienous

Dislike. And I play exclusively engineer, too.

Tanks and heavy vehicles are too valuable to not have access to using. I pick up abandoned vehicles all the time in BF4 and I'd hate to not have that opportunity as a different class.

Better keep your tank driver alive, then.

I kinda like this a little.. At the very least, it's worth trying out.

And I'm sure if it works out poorly, it can always be patched and changed later.

wbarreda

I don't see how this will force people to play like a team or prevent people who suck in aircraft or tanks from taking them. Like so many in this thread seem to think.

It will probably stop snipers from using transport vehicles as a one way ticket to a sniper nest.

I don't see how this will force people to play like a team or prevent people who suck in aircraft or tanks from taking them. Like so many in this thread seem to think.

It will probably stop snipers from using transport vehicles as a one way ticket to a sniper nest.

Yeah I don't see it either.

I'm happy about this personally, but I can see how people that are used to the old ways might not be. I wonder if there is a happy medium?

I agree with the posters that like it as far as "why the heck did the sniper steal the only vehicle just to run away with it?". I also hated how people would be more concerned with grabbing vehicles than helping with the objective- it'll be interesting to see how this changes things. Fingers crossed for the overall better :)

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it'll only apply to some vehicles, so I expect everyone can use horses and whatever the APC equivalent is.
Stopping snipers from robbing the aircraft to get to some obscure inaccessible rooftop is worth it.

Undecided here, need further info. Had a lot of fun in BF4 chipping away at tanks until the driver panicked and bailed out, then swiping it and running them over. I'd be pretty bummed if that were off the table.

Top Bottom