• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicles (at least tanks and planes) are now Class Specific in Battlefield 1

Bookoo

Almost sounds like the vehicles won't spawn on the map, but will spawn in if you choose that class.

Seems odd, but I wonder if it's possible to get out of the vehicle or do die with the vehicle.

Choppers were so hard to control but so rewarding once u mastered them

I was able to circlestrafe a flag with my nose pointed down towards the flag the entire time :p

desert combat heli physics were GLORIOUS.

I don't understand why dice never copied the momentum/inertia based flight controls from desert combat with the original vietnam and later in bf3-4.

In DC you could not only fly backwards at full speed, you could basically turn your heli into a projectile by lowring your throttle.

This meant you could to do things like go full speed ahead, turn your heli body sideways facing down towards an enemy vehicle and put your throttle to 30 percent tp help you maintain your original course while you were shooting down the enemy, then after that manouvre you would have to worry about regaining control and not crashing.

The physics worked in such a way that you were basically swinging your heli around like a big pendulum, especially in the heavier russian helicopter.

The engines took time to spin up which meant upwards lift was delayed , if you were losing altitude fast you couldn't just turn on the throttle and instantly stop your fall, if you spun your heli around in a circle it would take longer and longer to stop it the faster you were spinning. You had to plan your manouvres ahead of time (the littlebird was a lot more nimble) and had to trade speed for altitude as pointing your heli far forward meant you lost most of your lift.

I must have put at least a few hundred hours into playing on servers entirely dedicated to practicing flying, and had more fun doing that than I had in bf3 and 4 combined.

I've got a minimum of 150 hours on every Battlefield game since Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and I think it's a good decision.

Wow 150 hours...

Well I played bf1942 and DC for 4 years and I disagree.

I don't think its gonna fuck up the sandbox nature.

BF3 and BF4 already fucked up the sandbox nature with bad TTK, sniping being too easy.

It's my hope that the analogue weapons and vehicles will reward risky infantry combat. We need to get back to BF4 where you would have a squad, and a squad of 4-5 guys would follow the squad leader deep behind enemy lines and wreck havoc from behind, and working as a team.

In BF2 it actually was important that one person was a engineer, one was a medic and one was support and so on. That sense of role was lost in BF3 and 4.

It is my hope that BF1 will reward charges. With bayonettes. With knife kills. Front kicks. and running directly toward your target. with lack of automatic weapons, and relatively weak guns we could be in for a up close and personal style of gameplay we have never seen before. Sprinting and zig zagging to get close and then stabbing them.

its not so much about no scope, but being careful where you place your shot. being able to hit with the butt of your rifle. being able to do a front kick to tip of a charging opponent, being able to time a counter to someone charging you with a bayonetta, and then give your time to either reload and get another shot, or go for your pistol, grenade, or melee charge yourself, or retreat, or throw your helmet at them, or quickly grabbing someone elses weapon at the ground.

Good. I love rigidly enforced roles and cannot stand games that allow players flexibility.

f3f297896da14b32587a8ffe6bbb21b9ddbe2c55

Because you can and the current situation makes it your best choice.

thank god their changing this. again, youre part of the problem and WHY they are changing this. bless dice

g23

European pre-madonna
Doesn't Hardline do something similar? You can only use a vehicle by spawning in it?

People are overreacting.

There aren't going to be any "abandoned" vehicles first off. Because why the hell would you get out and abandon a vehicle if all you are likely to have is a pistol or some other mediocre load out? You'll only leave it if you are gonna blow up and in that case you'll defend it with your last breath.

Even if it does get left there. I imagine other people could jump in and use the guns and turrets on a non stationary tank. They said an entire squad can fit in a large tank. A stationary tank isn't likely to be around long anyways. Someone will blow it up.

Biplanes will crash and burn 95% of the time and there will be nothing to recover.

Bikes and horses are probably fair game for everyone to use whenever.

Sorry you don't get to jump out of a bi plane and 360 sniper shot. You'll just have to do it with a pistol. Huge loss.

Any vehicle class is likely to be just that. A class. Vehicles will still be enter able and exitable. But only drivers can pilot. Makes sense to me.

DirtyLarry

I am sure there will be transportation based vehicles all people can get in, so people worried about not being to get in a vehicle when they want are probably complaining/worrying about nothing.

I believe this will be for the vehicles that actually have a dramatic effect on gameplay.
Planes. Copters. Tanks.

I seriously think there will still be jeeps and motorcycles or horses that everyone can ride at any time.

And as someone who has always gravitated towards using a tank and being very, very effective while doing so, I am totally on board with this. Let those of us who take the vehicle seriously do so.

"If you want to be a tank driver you are dedicated to that role"

Straight from the Jackfrags vid.

You're not quoting the entire sentence. He said, "If you want to be a tank driver, you are dedicated to that role if you spawn in a tank."

World of difference.

Medic is a separate class this time......
I will be serious disappointed if I can do nothing when my horse is dying.
Are we sure the horses are in MP? They might be SP only.

Did they have infantry-portable rocket launchers in 1918?

I believe this will be for the vehicles that actually have a dramatic effect on gameplay.
Planes. Copters. Tanks.
Did they have helicopters in 1918?

This Battlefield has me really excited. 3/4 were a lot of fun, but the lock-on mechanics nullified most vehicles for the average person, which to me was always a big part of Battlefield that seemed like it was starting to fade away. This looks great.

emvideo-youtube-fw_C_sbfyx8.jpg

No, they didn't

thank god their changing this. again, youre part of the problem and WHY they are changing this. bless dice

Which problem am I a part of? The problem where people don't RP the class they choose? This ain't pen and paper, it's a video game. Flexibility of play is not a bad thing.

Rendezooks can be done with rifles too.

If they're implementing it here, there's a high chance they'll implement it in those games that follow.

Seanlole

I just put this as an example of how game changing this new feature will be.

But now that you mention it, the bazooka's first concept was shown for presentations purposes only a few days before the end of WW1, so no. they haven't.

Which problem am I a part of? The problem where people don't RP the class they choose? This ain't pen and paper, it's a video game. Flexibility of play is not a bad thing.

It definitely can be when everyone is "Uber-Soldier" and can take down anything with a starting load-out with no issues. I definitely prefer that everyone pick a role and at least follow the basic tenants that accompany that role.

spanks

At first I thought it was a good idea to rein in the vehicles a bit , but on the other hand, anything that limits your options makes it harder for emergent "Battlefield moments" to happen.

I'm okay with it as long as there's options to turn it off.

elcapitan

Limitations are not always a bad thing. It makes choices more meaningful and encourages different styles of play. Introducing more specialization only diversifies the battlefield. If this change is applied to the current BF4 formula, it would be extremely restrictive for no good reason, but we don't know how BF1 will be balanced around the new mechanic.

I like the concept only because vehicles play such a key part in winning a Conquest match and seeing players treat them as disposable transports bothers me. If you have to give up perks to get into a vehicle, then it should theoretically raise the skill level of pilots and drivers since they can't fall back on being effective infantryman.

So people in the other thread "I want a super realistic WW1 game; not another Battlefield game" people in this thread "screw realism, I want this game to play like every Battlefield game before it". Really hope DICE sticks to their guns and accepts only criticism that pertains to bugs/balancing - as usual the gaming community is bipolar and will never universally agree on anything.

The Battlefield community lost credibility when the majority of them voted for Operation Metro to be remade and included in BF4. The fanbase can't be trusted with shit let alone fucking design decisions.

Sounds great! Should get rid of a lot of the people who just used tanks/helicopters/jets as a taxi and then abandoned them immediately.... Can't tell you how many times I've spawned/jumped into a helicopter only for the pilot to bail and crash it into a building 5 seconds later.

The Battlefield community lost credibility when the majority of them voted for Operation Metro to be remade and included in BF4. The fanbase can't be trusted with shit let alone fucking design decisions.

I still don't understand why so many people voted for that, I mean if you want tight corridor fighting why not play COD? (And I say that as a fan of both games, if all you want is fast twitch firing action COD is better suited to that.)

Eh, it'll be kind of stupid if a tank/jeep is right next to you and you cannot use it because you're the wrong class.

Just more of the BF series trying to force the way players play and ditching the freedom of the original games.

YaBish

I'm willing to wait this out. DICE has proven to me that they're willing to support their games over the long haul, so if there's balancing issues or significant community backlash, I'm sure they'll make changes. All in all though, it's not a deal-breaker for me.

I also feel like we don't have all the information, and people are jumping the gun a bit.

Snakey125

I like it.

It forces you to work together with your squad/team instead of acting on your own like previous games. Now if they can put in voice chat that doesn't screw up this will golden.

DirtyLarry

You got me!!! I was wrong. Gold star for you.

Yes. I mistakenly listed a vehicle that will not be in the game. But my point still stands. 2 out of the 3 vehicles will be in the game.

Seriously way to go though.
Do not discuss the overall point I was trying to make. Just point out that I was wrong with one fucking example. Nevermind the fact I was just thinking of the types of vehicles that have historically been in the series prior to this game that would be considered "important."

Seriously great job though.

Coffinhal

So we don't know any details about the new classes yet, just that they changed it a bit. It's always cool to change that kind of rules.

The debates here are kind of weird to read since we don't know jack.

this is actually a really shitty idea and just adds unnecessary limitation. first negative, hopefully there aren't a lot more. this honestly really bums me out. i loved taking enemy vehicles that I'd just find abandon and tear them a new one with their own stuff.

Cynn

Almost sounds like the vehicles won't spawn on the map, but will spawn in if you choose that class.

Seems odd, but I wonder if it's possible to get out of the vehicle or do die with the vehicle.
Feels that way to me as well. Spawn in vehicle and it's just that class. No bailing nor exiting the vehicles. Spawn in a vehicle and you are that driver class till someone blows you up.

I'm not a fan of this.

Top Bottom