• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Indyana

I don't understand why almost everyone has discarded the possibility of Gigabits.

The devkits would have 1 or 2GB, "deduce from that what you will". PS4 could have more RAM for the firmware, just like the Wii U. PS4 would also have a 32GB solid state memory, just like the new PS3. There are no 256GB hard drives and it isn't going to have and SSD. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to repeat the same mistake. And Sony is trying to create something "very affordable".

I know this is just a rumor, but I don't understand why some people decided to convert Gb to GB. Just like that.

i-Lo

A thought just occurred to me pertaining to the RAM configuration:

Could be possible that Sony are testing performances of two different RAM types pertaining to gaming and other OS functionalities?

The dev kit with 8GB could be GDDR5 (4GB GDDR5 final) and the one with 16GB could be GDDR3 or more likely (given same memory densities of both GDDR types) DDR3 (6 or 8 GB GDDR3 final).

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't understand why almost everyone has discarded the possibility of Gigabits.

The devkits would have 1 or 2GB, "deduce from that what you will". PS4 could have more RAM for the firmware, just like the Wii U. PS4 would also have a 32GB solid state memory, just like the new PS3. There are no 256GB hard drives and it isn't going to have and SSD. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to repeat the same mistake. And Sony is trying to create something "very affordable".

I know this is just a rumor, but I don't understand why some people decided to convert Gb to GB. Just like that.

There is no chance in hell that PS4 will have less than 4 GB of ram, especially now when many think that gddt5/xdr/xdr2 is out of the picture.

[btw, I am stil lobbying for nextgen motherboard designs with 2 DIMM slots for ram sticks [soldered after inserting]] :D]

TheD

The Detective

It is not gigabits!

Most people don't know that GB and Gb mean different things and RAM is always talked about in GB! (outside of the individual size of the chips themselves).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the ram is ddr3, then they'd better have a massive amount of edram, otherwise there is no point having a good GPU because the ram will hinder it

Indyana

There is no chance in hell that PS4 will have less than 4 GB of ram, especially now when many think that gddt5/xdr/xdr2 is out of the picture.

[btw, I am stil lobbying for nextgen motherboard designs with 2 DIMM slots for ram sticks [soldered after inserting]] :D]
But Sony could use some rare chips that would explain the different configurations for the devkits. Why would there be two memory configurations if it's something "normal"?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Gigabits is barely ever used as a general term anymore and the numbers are in line with how the same site is talking about other specs. It's gigabytes.
A thought just occurred to me pertaining to the RAM configuration:

Could be possible that Sony are testing performances of two different RAM types pertaining to gaming and other OS functionalities?

The dev kit with 8GB could be GDDR5 (4GB GDDR5 final) and the one with 16GB could be GDDR3 or more likely (given same memory densities of both GDDR5 types) DDR3 (6 or 8 GB GDDR3 final).
This is a possibility. I'm expecting something along the lines of 4Gb DDR4 myself. I think 4Gb of GDDR5 adds too much complexity but Sony seems to like faster RAM than DDR3.

Why does it matter? Console spoilerz?

Hype man, its pure excitement. E3 is crazy enough but when you have all of Gaf watching the conference and then a new console is shown, well its pandemonium. Its the most fun I have on the internet and its only once every 6-7 years.

I'm not sure what a 3 Tflop machine will produce visually, so just speaking with real examples, I would like next gen to run Samaritan/UE4 well and Watch Dogs at 60fps at launch. If you can get those running early, than Sonys first party in 2-3 years should be able to surpass it handily and that gets me excited.

If next gen struggles to run something like Watch dogs (variable <30 fps @ 720p) then I would be disappointed.

Hype man, its pure excitement. E3 is crazy enough but when you have all of Gaf watching the conference and then a new console is shown, well its pandemonium. Its the most fun I have on the internet and its only once every 6-7 years.

And hopefully they don't let all the air out of the balloon by showing off current gen games on a "next gen" system.

i-Lo

Just rereading the OP and there is no mention about discrete GPU. There's going to be one right?... Right guyez!?

Just rereading the OP and there is no mention about discrete GPU. There's going to be one right?... Right guyez!?

The A10-5800K is already at 100W TDP alone (no RAM, Bluray, ...) and upgraded/customized I don't see the room for another stand-alone GPU

Devkits usually have double the amount of ram. So you're saying actual ps4s will have 512MB-1GB ram?

onQ123

Check this out though lol

my post from early last year on another site my formula had the Xbox with 6GB if it came out in 2012 & I'm guessing that it would have came out to 8GB for 2013.

& my crazy PlayStation formula had 16GB of ram for the PS4 lol because of the PS2 embedded ram to PS3 GDDR3 switch up.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...ent-incoming?p=5483130&viewfull=1#post5483130

after seeing the new GPUs with 3GB of Vram for Computers & knowing that no devs is going to put that GPU to full use any time soon because they have to make games that work with all types of GPU / CPU & memory setups I think I'm ready to see the Next Gen of Home Consoles start.

just think what can be done on a console with something like 6GB Ram & 3GB of VRam

Edit: & before anyone think I'm crazy for thinking we can get a console with 6GB ram & 3GB VRam just remember how big of a jump consoles take each time they make a new one besides Nintendo with the Wii.

xbox 64MB to 360 512MB = 8 X the ram in just 4 years if the next Xbox comes out in 2012 that would be 7 years that's time enough to upgrade by about 12 = 6GB

PS2 32MB ram to PS3 256MB of ram = 8 X the ram in 6 years

PS2 4MB of VRam to PS3 256MB of Vram = 64 X the Vram in 6 years

if the PS4 comes out in 2012 that would be 6 years 256MB x 8 = 2GB ram

256MB X 64 = 16GB of VRam lol

yeah I know that's not how it goes because the PS2 used Embedded DRAM for the Vram & switched over to a cheaper / slower type of Vram for the PS3 so it's not going to be a 64 X fold this time around but still we can see like 3GB of VRam if the consoles make big jumps like they did last time around.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Devkits usually have double the amount of ram. So you're saying actual ps4s will have 512MB-1GB ram?

When someone makes an argument that seems incredibly disingenuous, it's usually best to just hit the "view post history" button, notice 75%+ of their Gaming forum posts are in threads about a particular console manufacturer, and move on.

i-Lo

I don't understand why almost everyone has discarded the possibility of Gigabits. What? Don't remember "bit" being used to represent RAM in any previous generation. What are you trying to pull?

The devkits would have 1 or 2GB, "deduce from that what you will". PS4 could have more RAM for the firmware, just like the Wii U. PS4 would also have a 32GB solid state memory, just like the new PS3 What horseshit is this?. There are no 256GB hard drives and it isn't going to have and SSD. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to repeat the same mistake. And Sony is trying to create something "very affordable".

I know this is just a rumor, but I don't understand why some people decided to convert Gb to GB. Just like that. As aforementioned, neither Sony nor MS made counted capacity in bits either for RAM or HDD space

Is this a joke post or a bait post? Can't tell because reading stuff like this causes my IQ to drop temporarily.

The A10-5800K is already at 100W TDP alone (no RAM, Bluray, ...) and upgraded/customized I don't see the room for another stand-alone GPU

There doesn't need to be depending on how they customize it. It's not an off the shelf A10.

That may be, but don't you guys have doubts whether it'll be anywhere near as competent as a midrange discrete AMD GPU (78XX)?

Anth0ny

1080p @60fps in 3D for current gen games... maybe.

There will always be devs willing to push the console to the limits, 1080p and 60fps be damned.

256GB sounds like an SSD. That would be awesome.

If it's going to be revealed at an event shortly before E3 2013... I guess that leaves 720 for the VGAs this year ^_^

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
1080p @60fps in 3D for current gen games... maybe.

Carmack was mentioning on twitter about four months ago that jumping to 1080p @ 60fps would eat up most of the power leap you would get from a generation, which given that 60 fps takes up three times the resources of 30 fps due to frame setup time and 1080p is 2.25 times the pixels sounds about right. Once you add in 3D, that would pretty easily eat up anything left over. This would likely also be done with blur filter-esque AA since AA eats up a lot otherwise at higher resolutions, and presumably the framerate wouldn't be rock solid but rather the ever popular "60 fps".

I suspect most developers would go for 720p @30fps and no 3D with increased everything else, but the other option would still exist for those who are targeting low end retail titles or digital games.

Racer30

Carmack was mentioning on twitter about four months ago that jumping to 1080p @ 60fps would eat up most of the power leap you would get from a generation, which given that 60 fps takes up three times the resources of 30 fps due to frame setup time and 1080p is 2.25 times the pixels sounds about right. Once you add in 3D, that would pretty easily eat up anything left over. This would likely also be done with blur filter-esque AA since AA eats up a lot otherwise at higher resolutions, and presumably the framerate wouldn't be rock solid but rather the ever popular "60 fps".

I suspect most developers would go for 720p @30fps and no 3D with increased everything else, but the other option would still exist for those who are targeting low end retail titles or digital games.

Hmmm...but 720p@30fps was this generation wasnt it? So your expecting no bump in resolution whatsoever?

By your logic, why dont they go back to sd resolution, think of all the graphical effects they can cram in then :p

i-Lo

how is everyone so assertive that Sony and MS will show next consoles in 2013?

Look at the time gap. Look at what's being going on with MS and Sony with all the next gen talks. Look at the third party publishers wanting to go next gen. Look at games like SW1313 and Watch Dogs aiming to push the base bar for visuals to usher in a new era of graphical fidelity.

Even if the MS and Sony's consoles come out Q1 2014, they'll make an appearance during E3 2013.

Hmmm...but 720p@30fps was this generation wasnt it? So your expecting no bump in resolution whatsoever?

By your logic, why dont they go back to sd resolution, think of all the graphical effects they can cram in then :p

HD console, bro, HD console.

Anth0ny

Exactly.

We'll still get our fighting and action games at 60fps... but I'd be shocked if we saw Battlefield 4 (or whatever the Battlefield 3 equivalent is next gen) running at 1080p 60fps. Sorry to say, 720p 30fps will be here to stay at least through next gen.

I mean, it's nice to dream, but they want to avoid another $599 situation, right? If you want that extra bump, you're going to have to upgrade your PC.

There doesn't need to be depending on how they customize it. It's not an off the shelf A10.

I think a discreet gpu was/is only in the devkits to help the apu reach the target specs. I expect at the end Orbis will have one big apu. Hopefully hitting the 7850/1.84tflop target.

That along with 4gb or ram is enough.

onQ123

i-Lo

Actually, I reread the OP and if it's going to be highly tweaked version of A10 (least of which would involve downclocking), then chances are that it's going to be eating less power as well on next gen fabrication. If we are to assume TDP drop of anywhere between 10-20% drop, I can see them adding a discrete GPU with a total system TDP of up to 220W.

Top Bottom