• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

GorillaJu

My assumption about the "made in China" note is that there has been speculation that Japanese companies would return some manufacturing jobs to the domestic market due to the volatile relationship Japanese business has with China, which is seeing many manufacturing operations vandalized or worse.

Man

While the dedicated GPU will show glorious HDTV content, maybe they will use the onboard(APU) graphics to display the content for the Oled controller...

Foffy

Banned
And they were losing a good bit of money on it. The 600 dollar comment was hyperbole, but I'm not expecting a 300 dollar SKU.

What ballpark would you make for the system? I think anything past $350 is way out of reach for console prices. In regards to mainstream consumption, I mean.

i-Lo

What ballpark would you make for the system? I think anything past $350 is way out of reach for console prices.

And yet people bought PS3 and 360 for higher prices. It's this mentality of some people here, "I can't afford it at $XXX.xx, ergo it's out of reach for majority consumers on the market".

And yet people bought PS3 and 360 for higher prices. It's this mentality of some people here, "I can't afford it at $XXX.xx, ergo it's out of reach for majority consumers on the market".

Yes I think that a repeat of the early PS3 days would be great for the market too. I like how any criticism of a higher price for these things gets met with "Haha you can't afford it!!"

RedSwirl

1080p @60fps in 3D for current gen games... maybe.

There will always be devs willing to push the console to the limits, 1080p and 60fps be damned.

256GB sounds like an SSD. That would be awesome.

If it's going to be revealed at an event shortly before E3 2013... I guess that leaves 720 for the VGAs this year ^_^

That's what I was thinking too. Unless Sony enforces a 1080p standard, some devs will still go under that for the sake of eye candy.

i-Lo

Yes I think that a repeat of the early PS3 days would be great for the market too.

Like I said, it seems you know A LOT. Why don't you share with us all your insider info? In your expert opinion do you think a SKU between $400-$500 is likely to be DOA on the market? Is the aforementioned range the new $600? If Sony, like MS, plans to have instalment or rent to own option, will then even a monumental price of $600 (not saying it'll happen) be still detrimental to its sales?

Nizz

Exactly.

We'll still get our fighting and action games at 60fps... but I'd be shocked if we saw Battlefield 4 (or whatever the Battlefield 3 equivalent is next gen) running at 1080p 60fps. Sorry to say, 720p 30fps will be here to stay at least through next gen.

I mean, it's nice to dream, but they want to avoid another $599 situation, right? If you want that extra bump, you're going to have to upgrade your PC.
Would 1080p at 30fps be out of the question? I thought the chances for games at 720p-60fps or 1080p-30fps would be good for next gen, no?

Although I honestly think I'd be mighty impressed seeing a Battlefield game the equivalent of very high settings at 720p and a locked, rock solid 30.

Foffy

Banned

It has less to do with affording it personally, I just don't see it moving off of the shelves and being sold out at a beefier price. There's not been a precedent of that. Price had to do with how slow 3DS and PS3 were selling, as their systems price range was out of what is that sweet spot for consumers. And I personally bought a 3DS and a PS3 at their launch prices, so I'm not even talking about me. But I know the price factor was why I was the only one of my friends to have those systems as early as I did.

Like I said, it seems you know A LOT. Why don't you share with us all your insider info? In your expert opinion do you think a SKU between $400-$500 is likely to be DOA on the market? Is the aforementioned range the new $600? If Sony, like MS, plans to have instalment or rent to own option, will then even a monumental price of $600 (not saying it'll happen) be still detrimental to its sales?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to be an "expert" to give my opinion on something, but if the next Xbox or PS3 is 500 dollars I don't think they would be DoA, but the market would be terrible as people would definitely wait for much lower prices which would stunt hardware sales and potential hardware sales. I think they should be aiming for 350-399 if they don't want the market to crash around them.

watershed

Banned
So is this awesome news or really awesome news?

Seems a bit odd to have an event "just before E3" to announce the console. Maybe they will announce but show nothing just to get people hyped for E3?

Either way I'm looking forward to a Winter 2013 release.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to be an "expert" to give my opinion on something.

You don't have to be an expert. But you could have at least taken the time to find out why the PS3 was $599 in the first place before making that post. Opinions are good and all, but an informed one is better.

You don't have to be an expert. But you could have at least taken the time to find out why the PS3 was $599 in the first place before making that post.

I already said I don't think either will actually be 600 dollars. And yes I know exactly why the PS3 was 600 dollars and why it doesn't apply here.

Man

A10 is the latest from AMD so really awesome news. And like others have stated, it's a 'realistic' plan and not some crazy custom component that has everyone in pain.
In regards to ram, it seems highly likely that both Sony and MS will end up at 4GB (probably 3GB dedicated to games).

i-Lo

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had to be an "expert" to give my opinion on something, but if the next Xbox or PS3 is 500 dollars I don't think they would be DoA, but the market would be terrible as people would definitely wait for much lower prices which would stunt hardware sales and potential hardware sales. I think they should be aiming for 350-399 if they don't want the market to crash around them.

Ergo, Nintendo got it right. Anyone not following in their footsteps with advanced HW is doomed to collapse the market. Gotcha.

Reiko

Banned
Battlefield should be running at 60fps on consoles to pull the COD crowd away. You can't do that with cinematic framerates.

Seems a bit odd to have an event "just before E3" to announce the console. Maybe they will announce but show nothing just to get people hyped for E3?

Either way I'm looking forward to a Winter 2013 release.

There is no reason to show it at E3. Sony and Microsoft will get more coverage if they have their own blowout events with maybe leaving price and release schedule for E3.

Ergo, Nintendo got it right. Anyone not following in their footsteps with advanced HW is doomed to collapse the market. Gotcha.

Yes, because that's exactly what I said! I'm glad I said Nintendo got it right. Oh wait, I didn't at all. There is a long way for the slight upgrade the Wii U is to going all out. Nintendo could have gotten it right, but they blew a significant portion of their budget on the tablet controller. Is there no room here to actually not have to take fucking sides? I'm hoping both of the other two can come in at a reasonable price.

DieH@rd

Banned
1080p @60fps in 3D for current gen games... maybe.

There will always be devs willing to push the console to the limits, 1080p and 60fps be damned.

256GB sounds like an SSD. That would be awesome.

If it's going to be revealed at an event shortly before E3 2013... I guess that leaves 720 for the VGAs this year ^_^

Current A10 PC APU, without any modifications could run PS3 games @ 1080p/60... and that's a starting point of that chip. Hho knows how much modifications will it receive and what secondary hardware it will have connection to [fast ram, dedicated gpu].

whitehawk

Banned
To everyone who was calling people crazy a year or 2 ago for saying the new consoles will have 4GB or more Eat it!

50730056.jpg
This. I've always said next-gen systems will have 4gb minimum. 2gb doesn't cut it with all the background OS stuff they will be doing. It's why the Vita has more RAM than the PS3, even though it isn't as powerful. I can back out into the OS seamlessly and have access to nearly everything.

This. I've always said next-gen systems will have 4gb minimum. 2gb doesn't cut it with all the background OS stuff they will be doing. It's why the Vita has more RAM than the PS3, even though it isn't as powerful. I can back out into the OS seamlessly and have access to nearly everything.

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people thought this generation would actually stretch to end of 2013. Many people were expecting 2012 (or maybe even 2011) releases 2 years ago.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Exactly.

We'll still get our fighting and action games at 60fps... but I'd be shocked if we saw Battlefield 4 (or whatever the Battlefield 3 equivalent is next gen) running at 1080p 60fps. Sorry to say, 720p 30fps will be here to stay at least through next gen.

I mean, it's nice to dream, but they want to avoid another $599 situation, right? If you want that extra bump, you're going to have to upgrade your PC.
BF4 is a cross generational game. I'd be shocked if we didn't. BF5, on the other hand...

Foffy

Banned

Did Nintendo get it right when Wii U has put them in a position to start losing money at launch? All of these companies are in a difficult situation, and I think the only one to steer clear into good sailing is where the 3DS is right now. The biggest issue MS and Sony will have with their new consoles is easily going to be price for the platform. They have to match power and price to deliver a one-two punch unless they want to count on a slow burning platform, because they'll only be bleeding money.

Nizz

Battlefield should be running at 60fps on consoles to pull the COD crowd away. You can't do that with cinematic framerates.
This is why I'm curious as hell to see how Battlefield 4 turns out since it looks like DICE will have to keep the current consoles in mind when developing it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BF4 is a cross generational game. I'd be shocked if we didn't. BF5, on the other hand...
I never thought about this. Considering how well Frostbite 2 runs on AMD cards a 60fps BF4 that looks like MoH:WF on PC isn't out of the realm of possibility.

i-Lo

Yes, because that's exactly what I said! I'm glad I said Nintendo got it right. Oh wait, I didn't at all. There is a long way for the slight upgrade the Wii U is to going all out. Nintendo could have gotten it right, but they blew a significant portion of their budget on the tablet controller. Is there no room here to actually not have to take fucking sides? I'm hoping both of the other two can come in at a reasonable price.

I just find it curious that you'd come with a price that just so happens to be WiiU's as well.

There is room for room yes, but when you make statements in absolutes without any proof of studies showing potential decline in market adoption for a given price point, it gets tiring to read soothsaying posts ad nauseum. There are quite a few people here who project their own buying power or price preference onto an entire potential customer base.

Did Nintendo get it right when Wii U has put them in a position to start losing money at launch? All of these companies are in a difficult situation, and I think the only one to steer clear into good sailing is where the 3DS is right now. The biggest issue MS and Sony will have with their new consoles is easily going to be price for the platform. They have to match power and price to deliver a one-two punch unless they want to count on a slow burning platform, because they'll only be bleeding money.

Even then the 3ds needed a huge price cut and to lose a bunch of money to kickstart it

I just find it curious that you'd come with a price that just so happens to be WiiU's as well.

There is room for room yes, but when you make statements in absolutes without any proof of studies showing potential decline in market adoption for a given price point, it gets tiring to read soothsaying posts ad nauseum. There are quite a few people here who project their own buying power or price preference onto an entire potential customer base.

When did I make a statement in absolutes? This is forum where we discuss our opinions. Nothing is absolute. For all we know they could release 2000 consoles and they could fly off the shelvess like hotcakes. And what does Wii U's price have anything to do with it? Before last gen saying a console should be 350 would have actually seemed expensive.

What a sad state of affairs. Can't succeed in sales without the magical $299 price point. Advancements and inflation be damned.

Proelite

Orbis kits are supposed to come out in q3 2012, so the timing of the story is correct.

What I am hoping are in these kits:

A-10 with different clocks and disabled junk.
16GB of ram.
AMD 7970 with tweaked clocks.

With custom silicon in the PS4, Sony should be able to achieve comparable power with a <300W TDP console.

i-Lo

When did I make a statement in absolutes? This is forum where we discuss our opinions. Nothing is absolute. For all we know they could release 2000 consoles and they could fly off the shelvess like hotcakes. And what does Wii U's price have anything to do with it? Before last gen saying a console should be 350 would have actually seemed expensive.

In your previous you... ah.. forget it. If you are going to deny based on your inability to comprehend the absoluteness of a market crash and push that claim as an opinion as if it were some form of hold harmless clause then screw this. I'm done arguing on this matter. Regardless of how both of us feel, the truth of the matter is far from written in stones and will have to observed periodically after the launch of XB3 and PS4.

What a sad state of affairs. Can't succeed in sales without the magical $299 price point. Advancements and inflation be damned.

Only on forums, bro.

If you are going to deny based on your inability to comprehend the absoluteness of a market crash and push that claim as an opinion as if it were some form of hold harmless clause then screw this. I'm done arguing on this matter. Regardless of how both of us feel, the truth of the matter is far from written in stones and will have to observed periodically after the launch of XB3 and PS4.

Got it, to make a prediction requires you to know the future and be absolutely certain. Will be sure to keep a mental note of that in the future. And yes on forums there aren't an repercussions to being wrong on a certain opinion, so I don't see why you care so much. Instead of having a civil conversation about why you feel my opinion is wrong, you jump to conclusions and try to discredit me from even having one. But I don't want the thread to go on about this so I won't discuss it anymore.

Well the RAM situation sounds much improved, if true.

And is an APU as per the prior spec. Something based on the A10 makes sense for the current kit. Shame they don't have more specifics though, particularly on the GPU side of the APU. On whether it's changed or not.

There's absolutely no chance that Sony have got 8GB in the PS4. 4GB maximum imo. 8GB of DDR3 would be 16 chips and means the motherboard is going to be ridiculously complex, and if they go for GDDR5 then you're talking about 32 chips.

2-4GB, as detailed in Bgassassin's target specs ages ago, is much more likely.

4-8GB of RAM will cost a small fortune too, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with 2GB in the PS4 and 6GB in the 720 just to keep the retail price down.

These 'sources' sound a right load of old bollocks to me personally. :eek:/

Sorry to interrupt, but in regards to pricing, generally, launch is targeted at enthusiasts anyways who are willing to spend for the latest tech.

I personally am expecting the ps4/durango to be in the 449-499 price range and a payment plan for those that may not be able to afford the full price up front.

I think people confuse Microsoft's/Sony's first year and second year audience with that of Nintendo's entire generational audience when it comes to price point.

Not to mention the fact that we are in a day and age where people are willing to spend $500+ to have the yearly revision of the iPhone/iPad/GS3 and other electronics.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't understand why almost everyone has discarded the possibility of Gigabits.

The devkits would have 1 or 2GB, "deduce from that what you will". PS4 could have more RAM for the firmware, just like the Wii U. PS4 would also have a 32GB solid state memory, just like the new PS3. There are no 256GB hard drives and it isn't going to have and SSD. I'm sure Sony doesn't want to repeat the same mistake. And Sony is trying to create something "very affordable".

I know this is just a rumor, but I don't understand why some people decided to convert Gb to GB. Just like that.
Because this is not NeoGeo and it makes no sense for anyone to use gigabits anymore. I know the wording is vague and it's hard to say what their source was even describing, but 256GB is probably the SDD drive that's packed into the devkit. Which probably just means that the final console will have some kind of solid state storage in it, not that it will be SSD of that size.

4-8GB of RAM will cost a small fortune too, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with 2GB in the PS4 and 6GB in the 720 just to keep the retail price down.
DDR3 is dirt cheap even on a consumer level, much less on a mass sold manufacturer level.

Gorillaz

Apple's model of sales is a special one tho, (mainly due to the way they advertise their tech)

Consoles can't get away with that same mentality. I still think $400 is magic price for both

Sky Chief

I have no idea if this is possible but when they say 8 or 16 GB of RAM could it be that half is super fancy RAM dedicated to games and the other half is just regular RAM always running the OS and such in the background (hence always being able to go "anywhere" in the system)?

Top Bottom