• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Globox_82

Banned
Since I see a couple PS fan posts in a row.
I am PSN:Globox_82 so feel free to invite. I play SP mostly so I won't bother you if that is your fear.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am hyped for the PS4. Sony has never done me wrong as a gamer in the past so I'm going to stick with them for the next gen too. Crazy to think we will be playing PS4 games probably by this time next year.

I never owned a Sony system before the PS3, I was always a Nintendo guy, but they've won me over in every possible way this gen. Their first party library is varied, awesome, and perfect for my tastes. As long as the PS4 isn't super underpowered and their first parties keep churning out great games I'll be on board day 1.

StevieP

Banned
I never owned a Sony system before the PS3, I was always a Nintendo guy, but they've won me over in every possible way this gen. Their first party library is varied, awesome, and perfect for my tastes. As long as the PS4 isn't super underpowered and their first parties keep churning out great games I'll be on board day 1.

This is what it's all about, not how many TF the GPU is. It's providing the software goods. People may get up in arms when the next gen consoles don't match the output of top end PCs and high end GPUs, but Sony has a good stable of first party content that will make the console shine no matter the spec. All of the console manufacturers have this in their stable, to be honest. It's just a matter of who's content you like enough to buy the box.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'm also not too worried.

I mean, cmon guys

THIS is the next-gen baseline

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

First gen titles that will get SMOKED by whatever Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, and Sony Santa Monica put out...

It's find to get bent out of shape about specs, but I know the specs will be competent and powerful.

I'm much more curious about the games that all these Sony studios are working on.

Globox_82

Banned
This is what it's all about, not how many TF the GPU is. It's providing the software goods. People may get up in arms when the next gen consoles don't match the output of top end PCs and high end GPUs, but Sony has a good stable of first party content that will make the console shine no matter the spec. All of the console manufacturers have this in their stable, to be honest. It's just a matter of who's content you like enough to buy the box.

I don't think much about TFLOP and vs PC. I think "Look at TLOU! Now imagine giving to ND machine that is x10 PS3, now imagine what they will make."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I mean, cmon guys

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

First gen titles that will get SMOKED by whatever Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, and Sony Santa Monica put out...

It's find to get bent out of shape about specs, but I know the specs will be competent and powerful.

I'm much more curious about the games that all these Sony studios are working on.

I can't even mentally visualize what GG, ND, and SSM are going to be able to do next gen.

Like I said in the other thread, those are the i7+gtx680 versions. Resolution and IQ, and probably framerate drops should be expected in cases like that as a "baseline".
I can see MSAA being switched out for some kind of post process AA and that'll save a lot of power. Hopefully whatever GoW:A uses will work on PS4 as well since that game has perfect IQ, even at 720p. I know MLAA is included in the PS3 devkits so having a nice post-AA solution ready by the time devkits come out would be super nice..

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Newer tech + console efficiencies + closed box environment + game devs getting better as they get used to the newer tech and get their code more efficient.

StevieP

Banned
Your PC in 2005 could run Crysis 2 with 360 settings and a higher framerate?

Give it to me on the Cryengine 3 with all of the massive cutbacks that were made for that version (i.e. rebuild the console version for PC) and I'll rebuild my high end 2005 PC just for that occasion and give it a shot.

i also used to be a big nintendo fan but psx changed everything, what a great system that was....but i missed out on all the great first party n64 games ;/

damn typing on touch screen sucks

Globox_82

Banned
move, screen on the controller, etc I understand. But saying you don't want 4k now is like people saying "I dont want 1080p" back in 2004.

nope. 4K tvs won't go mass market for next 3-4 years. Don't see the reason to waste money on 4k tech. Save it for next next gen. Even if it was 2 years away I am not buying new expensive TV. No point.
Sony needs to be focused. No more pushing other divisions through PS. Please, focus on games

Lulubop

Give it to me on the Cryengine 3 with all of the massive cutbacks that were made for that version (i.e. rebuild the console version for PC) and I'll rebuild my high end 2005 PC just for that occasion and give it a shot.

Also know as what Magical console optimization really is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
nope. 4K tvs won't go mass market for next 3-4 years. Don't see the reason to waste money on that. Save it on next next gen. Even if it was 2 years away I am not buying new expensive TV. No point.
Sony needs to be focused. No more pushing other divisions through PS. Please, focus on games

The only 4k stuff we'll see in PS4 is access to Sony's 4k movie service, UI running at that resolution, and maybe a couple PSN games. It'll be nice for people who have the TVs but not much of a loss for the rest of us.

StevieP

Banned
Also know as what Magical console optimization really is.

Exactly right ;)

Globox_82 said:
nope. 4K tvs won't go mass market for next 3-4 years. Don't see the reason to waste money on 4k tech. Save it for next next gen. Even if it was 2 years away I am not buying new expensive TV. No point.

I highly doubt they're going to focus on any 4K games, because frankly none of the consoles are going to pack enough punch to deliver anything but the most basic stuff at that resolution. Hell, even the GPU chip family in the Wii U is technically capable of 2K output. All modern GPUs support resolutions as high as 4K, and if anything ever goes that high I'd bet it's what's already been mentioned (UI, video services, any new iteration of BD, whatever).

btw cry engine 3 is by far the most optimized engine on pc (it looks great too) crysis 2 runs at 60 fps locked on my 7950 overclocked to 7970 @ 1080p dx11 ultra

Reiko

Banned
btw cry engine 3 is by far the most optimized engine on pc (it looks great too) crysis 2 runs at 60 fps locked on my 7950 overclocked to 7970 @ 1080p dx11 ultra

"Console settings for Crysis 2 is a easy 60fps for a random new laptop that you can buy in a store"

Just shows how dated current consoles are.

"Console settings for Crysis 2 is a easy 60fps for a random new laptop that you can buy in a store"

Just shows how dated current consoles are.
yeah but this engine's performance is just superb...and i have a shitty 6 core amd 1055t....

next gen developers should taje a.look, even ms and sony devs

I want to berieve! that interview on watch pc scared me when I read it at semiA. Not even nintendo sold at profit for wiiU. It's been an emotional roller coaster with all these powerful console/weak console rumours lol

What I really want is launch games to have UE4 elemental graphics at 1080p 60 fps with great AI and physics as a base. Then in a few years they can sqeeze the hardware for some next level shit.

OS wise, I want everything fast and fluid like smartphones. Lots of apps, use my phone to message with psn instead of a controller to text which is a bitch and a half. Cross game/video chat. Youtube streaming and uploading vids. I'm sure there are other features that will come to mind later.

I'm worried that devs have to start squeezing hardware from the beginning to match our expectations or maybe microsofts hardware for multiplatfroms. Basically if devs have to squeeze hardware in the beginning, then I call that a failure on Sony's part and maybe MS too. 1080p60 should be the standard at least the first 6 months to a year while still delivering amazing games.

I mean, cmon guys

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

omfg.

impressive

I mean, cmon guys

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

Demod on high end pcs with 3+TF GPUS and powerful cpus. (as was samaritan and agnis philosophy)
Great image quality adds a lot to the overall look of things.

Remember the very first unreal engine 3 tech demo?
We never ever got that image quality, never got the same quality parallax mapping for walls etc, never got the soft shadowing anywhere near as good and not at all till UE3.5 games, it took 4 years for the self shadowing to appear etc.

Watch dogs looks awesome but at 720p with some blurry FXAA and a lot of artifacts in the distance, bokeh turned off , the LOD turned down something fierce etc etc there might not be much left of the overall consistency and look of the final game if the hardware is mediocre.

I'm hoping for powerful hardware else next gen consoles 'll just be another dissapointment.

Servbot24

Banned

I mean, cmon guys

I'm not convinced I'll get a next gen console for my own reasons (lack of time and money, plus Mac is getting a decent enough selection on Steam for me), but man... seeing these gifs is absolutely seductive. Sony is 3 for 3 as far as I'm concerned, excited to see what they can do.

And I'll buy whatever I need to to play the Souls series. :)

I mean, cmon guys

ibcUynCutGtfED.gif

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

Damn, I forgot how amazing Watch Dogs looks.

Can you guys even imagine what the next Red Dead will look like? Im more excited for that than a next gen GTA

Karak

Damn, I forgot how amazing Watch Dogs looks.

Can you guys even imagine what the next Red Dead will look like? Im more excited for that than a next gen GTA
That or Bully for me. Not the same style of game to show Next Gen Visuals but I am still excited for those 2 and Dragons Dogma 2(Kamodo's Karma)

Top Bottom