• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Sid

There is no ways in hell sony is jeopardizing the sales of the PS4 with Gaikai,they have market share to gain.

Sony had a 4k GT5 demo running in SimulView.

OTDyo.jpg

The annual Consumer Electronics Show is in full swing in Las Vegas this week, and Sony is using Gran Turismo 5 to show off the capabilities of their upcoming $24,999 84” 4K Ultra HD TV.

As if running at 4K resolution, or 3,840 x 2,160 pixels, wasn’t enough, the system is also taking advantage of the game’s “SimulView” feature, which lets two different players look at the screen simultaneously while seeing a different image.

This now marks the third time a Gran Turismo game has been shown running at 4K resolution; the first being back in 2008, and the second being just a few months ago in Japan.

http://www.gtplanet.net/sony-demos-gran-turismo-5-on-4k-tv-with-simulview-at-ces/

EDIT: I can't imagine how much memory bandwidth that would need. I wonder if it's 30 or 60 fps per view, because if it's 60 per view, that is something to behold.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But if that happens, what is the incentive for us to buy the hardware? Just to have a crispier picture and a bit less lag?

Core people would want a local box for best possible experience.

More casual players would be more forgiving of a less than perfect experience traded against cost and convenience. Some may find over time they actually want a local machine if they're spending more and more time playing Playstation stuff.

It also wouldn't simply by an either / or. It would be complimentary thing for PS4 owners too. The convenience of accessing your catalog anywhere on other devices while having a best possible experience at home. And as a convenience for certain features...like, perhaps, playing a streaming version of a game while waiting for it to download and install (with transparent migration to the local game when its ready), or playing a streaming version when the local version needs to update etc.

Then beyond that, obviously there are still lots and lots of people who don't have the infrastructure or node proximity to make streaming or even digital downloads work at all. And who'll want boxes and discs.

Sony's not losing an awful lot if someone chooses not to buy a PS4 console and play PS4 games in another way, though. The hardware is not a profit driver directly. The tradeoff for Sony is that this player will be on a device that isn't 100% proprietary, that is open to distraction from other entertainment options and services. But longer term Sony will be competing in that kind of 'flat' environment anyway. Might as well get ahead of it, IMO.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Might just be Kotaku.

lol!

There is no ways in hell sony is jeopardizing the sales of the PS4 with Gaikai,they have market share to gain.

IMO the best way for Sony to have explosive marketshare for the PS4 platform is to remove the $400 barrier to entry that consoles have traditionally had.

And I don't think it would actually affect hardware sales that badly, for whatever they are worth. I think the majority of users on a streaming service would be 'new' people who probably weren't buying the console anyway. People who today are gaming on facebook and mobile. They could add tens of millions of active PS4 users doing this, IMO. Gaikai claimed to be in that kind of territory on a monthly basis already, with just demos...

°°ToMmY°°;46282786 said:
Looks like the hitwave from the explosion...

Enough to completely destroy the car and not knock him down? Nah, it was his foot. They had 1 hit kills on with the demo. Rewatch and he'd shoot a guy once and they'd be dead.

I don't know what's happening here as I'm just on my phone, but you can 301 to any site.

http://www.phpjunkyard.com/tutorials/php-redirect.php

Sony had a 4k GT5 demo running in SimulView.

OTDyo.jpg

http://www.gtplanet.net/sony-demos-gran-turismo-5-on-4k-tv-with-simulview-at-ces/

EDIT: I can't imagine how much memory bandwidth that would need. I wonder if it's 30 or 60 fps per view, because if it's 60 per view, that is something to behold.
oh shit that just tripped me out I didn't realize the image was split

i-Lo

Courtesy of the Cyberpunk 2077 thread:

Khm, khm small hint: See soft shadows her hair casts on the right side of her face.

When everyone started posting some face pics i might post some as well. Too bad no one ever reads UDK thread. :d

Video. Fixing of beard transparency required.

More pics here

attachment.php

Here's the low poly image:

LowPolywireframe.jpg

I am going to be bold and say we can expect this kind fidelity (lighting) save the IQ, at least from first party (SSM and ND) provided they aren't doing open world games next.

anything other then 4 is bad marketing. Who cares what it means in Japan. Western market is what matters, and unless Sony wants to keep dying over here, then have ORbis, Vita or some other stupid name. Since this is Sony I expect the worst decission.

Don't agree with the "who cares" part but the rest including the apprehension about them actually naming it something else other than 4 is a legitimate cause for concern.

Had PS had a history of names instead of number, we'd not have any issues. If they do change the name, I hope they can weather any unforeseen consequence.

Sid

lol!

IMO the best way for Sony to have explosive marketshare for the PS4 platform is to remove the $400 barrier to entry that consoles have traditionally had.

And I don't think it would actually affect hardware sales that badly, for whatever they are worth. I think the majority of users on a streaming service would be 'new' people who probably weren't buying the console anyway. People who today are gaming on facebook and mobile. They could add tens of millions of active PS4 users doing this, IMO. Gaikai claimed to be in that kind of territory on a monthly basis already, with just demos...
Plenty of casuals buy consoles,if anyone could stream the games on their PC what's the point of buying them in the first place?

flattie

lol!

Having an explosive start is only good if the platform holder can sustain the expanded user base with content - not something traditionally done very well by consoles during their initial year. That being said, things may be different this time if they are able migrate some of the PSN (and Live) content across.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably the same linked PS3 setup they used for this before.

The simulview thing is new though. I would guess it's 30fps per view.

Simuview is basically what the PlayStation monitor does. Instead of left/right eye images, you just get two different images. So the framerate would depend on the resolution. Is there even a HDMI standard for 4k 3D?

oh shit that just tripped me out I didn't realize the image was split

I checked the EXIF data to see what speed it was shot at, but the data shows a motorola phone, so there is no shutter speed data.

If I knew what it was, we can narrow down what it was depending on how much ghosting the image has.

vita is a really dumb name

orbis is would be even dumber

4 leads to no confusion as to what the product is and its intentions, I'd have to explain to someone what an ps orbis is, I wouldn't have to tell anyone what a ps4 is, it would market itself

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Plenty of casuals buy consoles,if anyone could stream the games on their PC what's the point of buying them in the first place?

Not anyone can, first of all. There'll still be a big market for physically distributed games for some time to come.

Second of all, the 'plenty' of people buying consoles are dwarfed by the hundreds of millions playing games outside of consoles today.

Third, even in a perfect world where everyone had suitable connections and could forgo the purchase of proprietary hardware...I'm not sure how this is a universally bad thing for a platform holder. If they can sell you software without taking a loss on hardware, whilst controlling the software platform totally (wrt piracy and used games etc.)...they'd be delighted with that. It's been commonly said in the console business that hardware is a necessary evil.

Now, I acknowledge they do lose something. There's $400 walls around consoles, and whilst that has big disadvantages, it also has some competitive advantages. In a landscape of streaming platforms, it's competitively very flat. I, as a consumer, can much more easily hop from playstation.com to xbox.com to engage with different platforms than I can hop from playing on a PS3 to playing on a 360. But the question is...what happens if Sony and the other platform holders sit on their hands with this, and other upstarts come along and start offering streaming platforms and stealing customers away? If an upstart does this successfully, they'd be left reacting with counter services after the fact, and they'll be competing in this flat landscape anyway... hence why I think they should get on top of it and try to lead that move.

I was about to say, the other car in front of the taxi is also hit at about the same time as the taxi. Seems like a very slow simulated blast wave.

Guess you guys are right, didn't notice that white car in the back. Was too busy looking at his foot. Lol.

Simuview is basically what the PlayStation monitor does. Instead of left/right eye images, you just get two different images. So the framerate would depend on the resolution. Is there even a HDMI standard for 4k 3D?

No.

Suzzopher

Orbis could be the ecosystem that streams games to connected devices, whilst Sony release PS4 that is their own hardware but also part of the Orbis ecosystem.

deadlast

Damnit Phospor112 you changed your avatar and it completely ruined the thread for me.
I'm not used to seeing this guy talk
image.php

I'm used to the Ohh Faced guy.

Sid

Now, I acknowledge they do lose something. There's $400 walls around consoles, and whilst that has big disadvantages, it also has some competitive advantages. In a landscape of streaming platforms, it's competitively very flat. I, as a consumer, can much more easily hop from playstation.com to xbox.com to engage with different platforms than I can hop from playing on a PS3 to playing on a 360. But the question is...what happens if Sony and the other platform holders sit on their hands with this, and other upstarts come along and start offering streaming platforms and stealing customers away? If an upstart does this successfully, they'd be left reacting with counter services after the fact, and they'll be competing in this flat landscape anyway... hence why I think they should get on top of it and try to lead that move.
Which is why IMO they should start with legacy content instead of a full blown PS4 on the PC,later on they could add the orbis games to it.

KAL2006

Banned
vita is a really dumb name

orbis is would be even dumber

4 leads to no confusion as to what the product is and its intentions, I'd have to explain to someone what an ps orbis is, I wouldn't have to tell anyone what a ps4 is, it would market itself

Exactly, with PS4 people know it's then next PS console straight away. They should just stick to PS4, it's been working with Apple

deadlast

Exactly, with PS4 people know it's then next PS console straight away. They should just stick to PS4, it's been working with Apple

They could do what Nintendo did if they are afraid of the number four. Have a different name for the system in Japan. Japan can have Orbis and everyone else can have a PS4.

I see Sony is still using PD to demonstrate all their new tech. And then people complain about how long it takes them to finish games.

We can bet our houses on GT6 being a benchmark for graphics just like GT5 Prologue was in 2007.

I can't wait to see it.

What was powering the demo was probably an AMD A10 setup :p

KAL2006

Banned
They could do what Nintendo did if they are afraid of the number four. Have a different name for the system in Japan. Japan can have Orbis and everyone else can have a PS4.

Sega did this as well with Megadrive and Genesis. Also Japan doesn't matter, didn't PS3 sell the worse in Japan out of all the regions, why should they change the name just cause the region where it sells the least doesn't like the number 4. I thought Japanese gamers moved onto handheld gaming.

Couldn't they just market it as the Playstation 'Four' rather than the Japanese word in Japan? I thought numbered sequels were often pronounced with the english number.

apana

Playstation Tetra

I honestly think this whole thing about people not being able to figure out that a new console has arrived is way over exaggerated on videogame forums.

Orbis could be the ecosystem that streams games to connected devices, whilst Sony release PS4 that is their own hardware but also part of the Orbis ecosystem.
Now that we know Thebe is confirmed as the PS4 chipset and it is a Greek name we can choose (Greek or Latin) the correct version of Orbis: For the Greek version it's "of the eye". So "of the eye" ecosystem works for the Virtual reality that's coming.

RankoSD

Do you jest or aren't you being facetious?

I'm just thinking logically. They demonstrated the same thing 4 years ago with 4 ps3s but only for one screen, this is dual view.
If it did run at 60fps per view (I don't see the reason why wouldn't it because they surely wouldn't demonstrate a new TV with a 30fps game) it means that they've needed 8 ps3s to run it at that speed. It's a lot for one demonstration with today's technology.

And if someone is up to date with Sony's new tech it's definitely PD, with a new dev kit they would have the demo up and running in like no time.

Now that we know Thebe is confirmed as the PS4 chipset and it is a Greek name we can choose (Greek or Latin) the correct version of Orbis: For the Greek version it's "of the eye". So "of the eye" ecosystem works for the Virtual reality that's coming.

Oh You.
you know one is amd and the other is Sony name.
Vita is Latin so it's safer to stick with that.

Sega did this as well with Megadrive and Genesis.

Genesis was just a crappy US name, Europe had the awesome MegaDrive too. But this death thing is mostly nonsense by people who act as if they've never seen a Japanese product with a 4 in it when there's tons of them in the game market alone.

Zoe

That sounds gangsta yo!

Could you kindly tell me what do the two mean (I assume one of them, probably the latter mean "5")?

They're all "four," just different pronunciations of the kanji.

Playstation has always used the English word for the numbers.

Did you see engadgets interview with john taylor from amd? He hinted at 'leading the' next gen consoles and having more than just and GPUs in them. Talked about how the future of CPUs and architecture being fixed-function hardware acceleration where each part specializes in what it does. No more single, giant hulking CPU being asked to do everything. Only what its good at.

Your thoughts?

Top Bottom