• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango's Move Engines

Thats nice and all, but when it comes to accessibility to developers, ease of use and current use Direct3D destroys OpenGL.

DirectX is currently the Graphic standard by which the consumer Graphics Industry measures itself. Every single box you will find a DirectX compatibility rating.

It doesn't mean developers like the high DirectX overhead. Many of the PC devs that push their games to the edge start on OpenGL and then port over to DirectX.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Theses are great.
People assuming simpler hardware is de facto yielding better result should think twice. And for some, they should also remember how they were defending the PS3 architecture.
Extreme case of special hardware, nowhere near what Durango is shaping into, but look at what ND or Santa Monica is doing with theses SPE.

It is likely that the ESRAM+move engine route was expansive, and thus a matured choice. They could have gone for GDDR5 too but haven't, and I do not think price is the only explanation.

Bandwidth is a (important) thing, but i'm sure the setup Microsoft engineers went with have an advantage over GDRR5 somewhere. The ability to transfer data while GPU is busy points in that direction i suppose.

A byproduct advantage is that the GPU/CPU have access to a small chunk of lower latency memory, ex-cache. And that can be useful in some situations, if you're juggling your data well.

But there is zero doubt in mind that having a large amount of memory was the starting point that informed so much of the rest of the design. And - yes - the cost of a simpler, faster memory setup with that amount of memory would be a pretty big deal.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No. In layman's terms it's basically this (according to my interpretation):

You're moving to a new house, packing up everything you own and making a few trips to the new place to get it all moved.

With the PS4's solution, DDR5, you basically have a box truck that drives 70 mph everywhere all the time and can hold 4,000 pounds of your shit in a trip. When you get to your destination you need to unpack all of this shit too, at 1.8 tons an hour.

With the Xbox 720 you have a big box truck that can carry 8,000 pounds of your shit but it only drives at 28 mph. You also have a car that can carry 320 pounds of your shit and can drive at 41 mph. Once you get to your destination you have to unpack all your shit at only 1.2 tons an hour, but thankfully when you go to unpack your shit is already being sorted for you by a friend outside, helping to organize how you're receiving the stuff you unpack inside.

The Move Engines are that friend. They aren't going to do any of the unpacking (read: processing). They aren't going to carry any of your shit to the new place (read: memory). They just make everything run more smoothly, helping to reduce snags and bottlenecks.

If you were very diligent in how you packed either box truck you reduce the need for such a friend, but it's sure nice to have them no matter what. Chances are the PS4 will have some level of this same concept as well, though likely not to the same extent that MS is incorporating, since MS needs some way to get over the DDR3 bottleneck.

I'd say it's a further complication resulting from MS wanting 8 GB of memory and therefore going with clearly too slow DDR3. Move Engines, ESRam, etc. are all attempts to patch over that deficiency. This is also likely why MS is running them pre-programmed, because making developers have to manage this to avoid a bottleneck the PS4 doesn't have would be a pain in the ass.

thank you for this.

It doesn't mean developers like the high DirectX overhead. Many of the PC devs that push their games to the edge start on OpenGL and then port over to DirectX.

Any sources on these evidences?

As far as i have heard dx 10 fixed most of dx9 and previous overheads bringing it close to OpenGL.

Ashes

Banned
I don't see it, Sony doesn't know more about hardware than IBM, AMD etc

Which is where MS hired people from. And are the companies Sony is working with to develop their console.

Partners are good sure. See Google getting galaxy nexus from Samsung, versus Apple, Sony, Samsung doing their own thing.

They'll both be SoCs I reckon. It's just Sony makes hardware, you know? Big territorial advantage.

Correct. 4GBs GDDR5 is pretty standard and APUs/GPUs are built to use it. Stacking probably won't for a long time.

Theses are great.
People assuming simpler hardware is de facto yielding better result should think twice. And for some, they should also remember how they were defending the PS3 architecture.
Extreme case of special hardware, nowhere near what Durango is shaping into, but look at what ND or Santa Monica is doing with theses SPE.

It is likely that the ESRAM+move engine route was expansive, and thus a matured choice. They could have gone for GDDR5 too but haven't, and I do not think price is the only explanation.

Bandwidth is a (important) thing, but i'm sure the setup Microsoft engineers went with have an advantage over GDRR5 somewhere. The ability to transfer data while GPU is busy points in that direction i suppose.

Its a game of trade-offs. The advantage is the volume of RAM they can easily implement. But its lifts the complexity quite a bit to get acceptable bandwidth.

scently

So, it looks like these fixed function parts will work in parallel to ease the burden on GPU meaning gain in efficiency. That said, this "secret sauce" does not sound like the great "equalizer". Amazing what proelite sold us on.

Haha, Proelite was really trolling both sides. I am sure he is very happy with what he accomplished.

You're moving to a new house, packing up everything you own and making a few trips to the new place to get it all moved.

With the PS4's solution, DDR5, you basically have a box truck that drives 70 mph everywhere all the time and can hold 4,000 pounds of your shit in a trip. When you get to your destination you need to unpack all of this shit too, at 1.8 tons an hour.

With the Xbox 360 you have a big box truck that can carry 8,000 pounds of your shit but it only drives at 28 mph. You also have a car that can carry 320 pounds of your shit and can drive at 41 mph. Once you get to your destination you have to unpack all your shit at only 1.2 tons an hour, but thankfully when you go to unpack your shit is already being sorted for you by a friend outside, helping to organize how you're receiving the stuff you unpack inside.

The Move Engines are that friend. They aren't going to do any of the unpacking (read: processing). They aren't going to carry any of your shit to the new place (read: memory). They just make everything run more smoothly, helping to reduce snags and bottlenecks.

If you were very diligent in how you packed either box truck you reduce the need for such a friend, but it's sure nice to have them no matter what. Chances are the PS4 will have some level of this same concept as well, though likely not to the same extent that MS is incorporating, since MS needs some way to get over the DDR3 bottleneck.

I'd say it's a further complication resulting from MS wanting 8 GB of memory and therefore going with clearly too slow DDR3. Move Engines, ESRam, etc. are all attempts to patch over that deficiency. This is also likely why MS is running them pre-programmed, because making developers have to manage this to avoid a bottleneck the PS4 doesn't have would be a pain in the ass.

Awesome explanation. This should be in every OP concerning RAM.

That's all the non tech heads need to know to understand everything.

ZaCH3000

I've read on several places that Sony's tools are on par with Microsoft ones and that the old adage of Microsoft having vastly better tools has been invalid for some time now.

There is no way that Sony will just drop PS4 into developer's lap and say "deal with it" (like they did with PS3).

In a way I'm starting to think that Durango has become PS3 of next gen - developers could quickly become annoyed with its complexity. Of course if Microsoft documents everything well (they will) some annoyance could be alleviated but not all. I guess time will tell.

Sony ICE Team > Microsoft DirectX Team, in my opinion.

Any sources on these evidences?

As far as i have heard dx 10 fixed most of dx9 and previous overheads bringing it close to OpenGL.

Off the top of my head, Valve does this with all of their releases. Hell, run their game in DirectX then in OpenGL. 9 times out of 10, it'll run better in Open. Carmack and iD have openly endorsed OpenGL over DirectX as well.

Anyway this is off topic.

tipoo

Banned
I wonder if this partially makes up for the DDR3? If it can encode and decode the information with zero hit to the processor or GPU, theoretically it can do more than the bandwidth would imply, right?

nib95

Banned
This was roughly what was predicted or theorised. Sounds good either way, but nothing game changing. Love how detailed their break down is though.

Partners are good sure. See Google getting galaxy nexus from Samsung, versus Apple, Sony, Samsung doing their own thing.

I don't see how Sony is doing anything different from MS. You have to explain that to me.

They both are using 3rd party base tech. So I don't understand how Google and the whole phone business serves as a parallel here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

The boilerplate memory and compression/decompression operations are 'pre-programmed' but naturally enough programmers will still have to decide how/when to shuffle data around. Which is the harder, application-specific thing. It won't be a painfree thing, at least to do really optimally, in sophisticated use-cases.

tipoo

Banned
The Cell has a DMA engine for each SPU and the main PPE core. It did help the PS3 make better use of it's given bandwidth. But I don't recall anyone trying to sell it as a ground breaking feature or anything. It was just a way to keep the CPU fed with data more efficiently. But no one way saying PS3 had more bandwidth because of DMA engines. But all of a sudden now...

Hmm I see...If the PS3 had them, I would assume the PS4 would too? We don't know that for sure, but maybe it's because it's such an ubiquitous feature it's mostly not worth mention, while it's new-ish on Durango?

scently

A byproduct advantage is that the GPU/CPU have access to a small chunk of lower latency memory, ex-cache. And that can be useful in some situations, if you're juggling your data well.

But there is zero doubt in mind that having a large amount of memory was the starting point that informed so much of the rest of the design. And - yes - the cost of a simpler, faster memory setup with that amount of memory would be a pretty big deal.

This. They simply wanted a large capacity RAM. The eSRAM and the DMEs are there for efficient usage of bandwidth along with their side benefits.

Perhaps not in chip design specifically, but in overall product design and component efficiently, Sony know their shit.

What is the basis for this?

Nintendo is the one who is all about component efficiency, not Sony. I just think it's weird people start making judgement like this based on the simple theory that "Sony makes TVs and Phones, MS doesn't so Sony is just much better at making hardware for gaming purposes".

It's like saying, because MS is a software company then the software in Durango will just be way better, and the tools and etc.

It doesn't quite work like that.

onQ123

With the Xbox 360 you have a big box truck that can carry 8,000 pounds of your shit but it only drives at 28 mph. You also have a car that can carry 320 pounds of your shit and can drive at 41 mph. Once you get to your destination you have to unpack all your shit at only 1.2 tons an hour, but thankfully when you go to unpack your shit is already being sorted for you by a friend outside, helping to organize how you're receiving the stuff you unpack inside.

Nice!

& speaking of the PS4 having some of the same concepts one of the Move Engines seems to be the same as the 'Zlib Decompression Hardware' in the PS4

Limit

Very clear explanation. Nicely done!

What is the basis for this?

Nintendo is the one who is all about component efficiency, not Sony. I just think it's weird people start making judgement like this based on the simple theory that "Sony makes TVs and Phones, MS doesn't so Sony is just much better at making hardware for gaming purposes".

It's like saying, because MS is a software company then the software in Durango will just be way better, and the tools and etc.

It doesn't quite work like that.

Skimming out on money isn't what I would call component efficiency. Also sony makes alot more than that, namely game consoles. Thats the basis.

Ashes

Banned
Bah. See, this is why I hate the Xbox 360 > Xbox 720 naming system.

I really hope they call it Xbox 8, but with a snazy power on logo where the 8 rotates into an infinity symbol.

Apologies for picking up on it. IIRC the marketing team decided to call the machine the Xbox 360, because it put the gamer at the center. And not as some theorised not to look a generation behind.

ps3
X360

I guess if the latter is true,
they'd go for:

ps4
XB8

And marketing would spin that as saying with XB8 you can do an infinity amount of things or something.

These names are bull crap though. It's more about branding. Which is why Wii works, and wiiu does nothing. 3ds just confused a lot of consumers.

Iphone 3 sold well as did iphone 4. Galaxy 2 sold well as did galaxy 3.

PS vita is meh of name too. With marketing bull attached to it about Vita and symbolising their intent etc. I do love though that some people thought PSV stand ps5 as it is their fifth console.

PS4 should be called PS4 in my opinion and not some PSVi or orbis or some other bullshit.

Anyone got number on gddr5 and ddr3 latency times maybe someone can calculate some stuff maybe i can do it. Or is it insignificant and already counted into the 170GB/S vs 720 bandwidth numbers. Because i am told latency times are like TollBooth at highways(bandwidth)?

Thats also a big reason why ssd are quick the access times are really low compared to disk based hdd.

Or im being told bullshit :p

I don't think you should use how many pounds the truck could carry. PS4 would be able to carry about twice as much as 720 per load not vice versa. 720s advantage would probably be latency, meaning that maybe they would have a easier road to travel. Idk your alot better with the analogies than I am, but latency means that there is less delay trip-to-trip.

Edit: better yet use the pounds, PS4 8000/720 4000 and get rid of the mph because they arrive at the same time. 720 can leave to get more faster, but they still go the same speed.

Ashes

Banned

I don't see how Sony is doing anything different from MS. You have to explain that to me.

They both are using 3rd party base tech. So I don't understand how Google and the whole phone business serves as a parallel here.

You don't see how that example was in support of your argument. i.e. a software company doing well with partners who know the hardware business?

There is more to a console than just a gpu from AMD and ram from Samsung. There were 1700 parts + in the x360 alone.

What I was saying was that Sony as a business is more set up to do this kind of manufacturing, it's their forte, with their contacts, speciality, engineers, at least more than Microsoft. All they can do is throw money at it. :p

Having said that, Microsoft do have the money, and so can partner up to face up to Sony to some extent. Even so, the ps3 bom went down so much faster than the x360.

I don't think you should use how many pounds the truck could carry. PS4 would be able to carry about twice as much as 720 per load not vice versa. 720s advantage would probably be latency, meaning that maybe they would have a easier road to travel. Idk your alot better with the analogies than I am, but latency means that there is less delay trip-to-trip.

Latency would be the "break" in between driving and the destination of un/loading.

Raptor

Thanks for this explanation.

:)

JaggedSac

OpenGL has gotten a lot better since 2011.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

Once again though, this is OT, so I probably won't go any further.

Source uses DX8 or 9 right? 2011 and later stuff has nothing to do with those results, lol.

But it is off topic.

On topic, these architectural leaks certainly don't place the two systems in "a wash" territory as devs have been saying in recent months. Curious as to why they have been saying such.

You don't see how that example was in support of your argument. i.e. a software company doing well with partners who know the hardware business?

There is more to a console than just a gpu from AMD and ram from Samsung. There were 1700 parts + in the x360 alone.

What I was saying was that Sony as a business is more set up to do this kind of manufacturing, it's their forte, with their contacts, speciality, engineers, at least more than Microsoft. All they can do is throw money at it. :p

Having said that, Microsoft do have the money, and so can partner up to face up to Sony to some extent. Even so, the ps3 bom went down so much faster than the x360.

Is the Ps3 a soc by now?

No, still two separate chips. They won't go SoC, we'd likely just see a decrease in size. According to Digital Foundry, Cell is supposed to hit 22nm in the future.

Well there you go.

Xbox 360 is a SoC on a chip. Does that mean MS knows more about hardware? No, of course not.

In the same way that Sony has every legitimate chance of delivering great tools and services that are on par with MS, so does the opposite is true in hardware. The key difference comes down to design decisions, made on priorities they had.

Well there you go.

Xbox 360 is a SoC on a chip. Does that mean MS knows more about hardware? No, of course not.

In the same way that Sony has every legitimate chance of delivering great tools and services that are on par with MS, so does the opposite is true in hardware. The key difference comes down to design decisions, made on priorities they had.

Interesting enough, the PS3 Super Slim uses less energy than the SoC 360.

Xbox being a Soc doesn't mean anything really. There are factors that prevent the PS3 from becoming one. Cell is still pretty complex...

The cell itself isn't the hard part at all, it's the memory controller, which just needs a bit of work to fix.

Interesting enough, the PS3 Super Slim uses less energy than the SoC 360.

The cell itself isn't the hard part at all, it's the memory controller, which just needs a bit of work to fix.
Yeah, cell itself has to use XDR, which means Sony has to split pools. Among other things like Cell being a defunct design.

Looks like the DMA units we expected. No more, no less.

Only thing that seems slightly odd is that they can't saturate the system's bandwidth, although I guess the idea is to use them for some copying around of data but not all.

GPU/CPU would be bandwidth starved if they did. With that stated this really doesn't help nullify the bandwidth advantage Orbis has. =\

Ashes

Banned
Well there you go.

Xbox 360 is a SoC on a chip.Does that mean MS knows more about hardware? No, of course not.

I see. X360 was a SoC at 45nm in 2011 when pretty much the entire industry was already there for a while now.

What you should be thinking about is that whilst they were doing that Sony were making preparations for stacking in Vita in 2012.

Sony have their own fab. They will along with others spend hundreds of millions on such R&D because they are more dependent on stacking, 2.5d tsv 3d etc. They make everything from smartphones to consoles. It's their bread and butter.

Cell and RSX are quite a bit more complicated to put in a SoC, and last I heard they were rumoured to had skipped a gen and going for 22nm. Will be interesting to see if that is a SoC or not.

On consoles there is no DirectX overhead like on PC. All the code that does error checking is removed due to uniform hardware. The 360 DX version is super lean compared to anything on PC. BTW you are full of shit on the OpenGL thing.

I see. X360 was a SoC at 45nm in 2011 when pretty much the entire industry was already there for a while now.

What you should be thinking about is that whilst they were doing that Sony were making preparations for stacking in Vita in 2012.

Sony have their own fab. They will along with others spend hundreds of millions on such R&D because they are more dependent on stacking, 2.5d tsv 3d etc. They make everything from smartphones to consoles. It's their bread and butter.

Cell and RSX are quite a bit more complicated to put in a SoC, and last I heard they were rumoured to had skipped a gen and going for 22nm. Will be interesting to see if that is a SoC or not.

Not for this kind of stuff. Sony's fabs are dedicated to image processing chips and image sensors. For general purpose processors Sony have a long term partnership with Toshiba (who make the the Vita SoC as well as 45nm Cell).

I see. X360 was a SoC when at 45nm in 2011 when pretty much the entire industry was already there for a while now.

Sony have their own fab. They will along with others spend hundreds of millions on such things because they are more dependent on stacking, 2.5d tsv 3d etc. They make everything from smartphones to consoles. It's their bread and butter.

Exactly, Sony didn't simply overcome the difficulties of making a SoC ps3 just because they are Sony.

Sony's factories aren't better than the Digital foundries and TmScs and Ibms of the world. That's the point I'm making. Hell they even sold their Cell factories to Toshiba.

Also it doesn't impact the design of these systems at all, specially when you consider that MS is apparently making the most complex board.

I don't see how what I'm saying is far fetched, nobody seems to have a similar problem with the whole software angle.

Drek

Edit: better yet use the pounds, PS4 8000/720 4000 and get rid of the mph because they arrive at the same time. 720 can leave to get more faster, but they still go the same speed.

The pounds were supposed to point out the difference in memory capacity, the bandwidth gap is expressed in the massive difference MPH, which is where the PS4 doubles up (and then some) the 720.

I didn't incorporate request latency in it because then it's getting pretty convoluted, but for this analogy that'd more or less equate to how long it takes you to originally pack the truck for it's destination, which yes, is slower with 720 as well, but again, something the Move Engines could probably help speed up a bit.

It's not a perfect analogy, just a rough to let people understand the concept, at least as I interpret it. Basically, MS is well aware that their DDR3 choice is an anchor to the rest of the system and are going out of their way to implement a grab bag of solutions to improve it (ESRam and Move Engines being the two we know about).

No amount of patching will catch them up to DDR5, otherwise someone would have already done this in the GPU market and avoided the costs of DDR5 all together. This is just trying to mask a deficiency. It's up to MS to prove that their need for 8 GB of ram, forcing them into DDR3, was the right choice.

This happens every generation. First parties make unique choices and then need to justify them. Sony made the first CD based console and justified it. They did the same with the first DVD based console. Then they made the first Blu-Ray console and failed royally.

Nintendo needed to justify sticking with cartridges for the N64 and waiting for 64 bit instead of making a 32 bit cosole and failed, tried to justify motion controllers for the Wii and succeeded, and are now trying to justify the Wii U tablet without much initial success.

MS needed to justify the massive hardware premium and XBL Gold fees with the original Xbox with horrible sales results but gaining a core base who are now very loyal. They then furthered their XBL Gold agenda and have continued to work on justifying that, with most of their core demographic being fans. Then they released Kinect and while it's seen ok retail success the validation is still lukewarm at best to most gamers. With Xbox 720 they're now tasked with justifying 8 GB of DDR3, a multimedia focus, and likely Kinect 2 in every box.

This is the beauty of new hardware. Despite the PS4 and X720 have a similar originating hardware the end goals of each manufacturer are very far apart. This is real, meaningful differentiation. I think that's great because the last thing I want is another PS3/360 generation where outside of first party titles and a handful of exclusives the two systems are basically twins. I'll buy both so I want both to provide unique services, not a cookie cutter template of "next gen" that makes it an "either/or" choice where I end up buying one, playing the exclusives, and then offloading it. Nintendo already makes me do that.

Ashes

Banned
Not for this kind of stuff. Sony's fabs are dedicated to image processing chips and image sensors. For general purpose processors Sony have a long term partnership with Toshiba (who make the the Vita SoC as well as 45nm Cell).

*nods in agreement*

Top Bottom