• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Rumor: FFX|X-2 HD Remaster will have DLC (International Content)

Ridiculous decision if true and most of us will still buy it (me too...)

You'd think Capcom would have done it for DMC3's HD release and charged for Vergil.

Hobbun

I just don’t see this happening.

One, they’ve already announced both games as the International versions. And two, I don’t even know if they can separate the International content like that. It’s part of that version of the game.

Skilletor

Question: Would it be possible to add the international content via dlc? How does the new sphere grid system work in X international? IF I started a game in vanilla and then wanted to use the new sphere grid via dlc, would I have to start over?

Isn't it integrated, not separate?

Shahed

Question: Would it be possible to add the international content via dlc? How does the new sphere grid system work in X international? IF I started a game in vanilla and then wanted to use the new sphere grid via dlc, would I have to start over?

Isn't it integrated, not separate?

You'd have to start over. You choose what you want to use when starting a New Game

Famassu

I wouldn't put it past Square-Enix to do this. I would hope they don't.
I don't see where this kind of sentiment comes from. No matter how much you think FFXIII & XIV have sullied Square Enix's reputation as a capable game developer (ignoring their vast number of great efforts on handhelds), it's pretty much a fact that Square Enix (the Japanese branch) was one of the LAST big publishers to start implementing DLC into their games and they STILL don't do it with a lot of their games (no DLC in any KH ever, or Bravely Default, Type-0 had FREE downloadable content etc.). And if we think of their port/remake output with titles such as:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy IV DS/Complete Collection
Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMix

they've never done anything but the best job at making sure we get the most content-rich versions in re-releases and bringing all existing content into their ports worldwide (and often even made at least SOME extra content, if only an generic extra dungeon or two, though often a lot more than that). So it would be very UNLIKE Square Enix to do a move like this.

Exactly why I don't believe this until SE confirms it themselves.

Besides that, I don't subscribe to the mindset of "Don't like the DLC then don't buy it". If something like this happened to be true then voicing your complaints is perfectly reasonable as it lets the company know what you think.

In any case, I stand by what I said before, until SE confirms this, it's false. Too many things don't add up (the cost of Last Mission considering how much work would be needed for that, Europe/Japan getting less than what we originally got as the base game, the blog posts before mentioning the International versions without a mention of DLC, etc)

I'm holding out on the official word from SE. Going to try and not be pessimistic, we have enough of that :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's probably my font, but I can't be the only one who read the thread title as FF 19-2 and went "wut?".

Bullza2o

I didn't expect a game like this to have DLC, but if it's true then it might discourage me from getting it (Vita). The least they can do is make the Vita version international by default, if they're not bundling both games at $40.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not me! Ultros vs Kagari. I already have one bet in queue.

Ok. I pick false or partially true (like Last Mission being the only DLC). You're on true. No swaps or backouts.

Foffy

Banned
I don't see where this kind of sentiment comes from. No matter how much you think FFXIII & XIV have sullied Square Enix's reputation as a capable game developer (ignoring their vast number of great efforts on handhelds), it's pretty much a fact that Square Enix (the Japanese branch) was one of the LAST big publishers to start implementing DLC into their games and they STILL don't do it with a lot of their games (no DLC in any KH ever, or Bravely Default, Type-0 had FREE downloadable content etc.). And if we think of their port/remake output with titles such as:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy IV DS/Complete Collection
Final Fantasy IV-VI Advance
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMix

they've never done anything but the best job at making sure we get the most content-rich versions in re-releases and bringing all existing content into their ports worldwide (and often even made at least SOME extra content, if only an generic extra dungeon or two, though often a lot more than that). So it would be very UNLIKE Square Enix to do a move like this.

XIII-2 had major holes to show where DLC was supposed to go, and I only assume this will be the case for all Final Fantasy games going forward. Square-Enix did it in pretty bullshit ways with that game, too. Like, besides the arena that was basically there to point to DLC, I actually got mad when I wanted to learn about one of the minigames, and the game had the balls to not even tell me what it was or how it worked other than being DLC. If that's the type of model we should be expecting to see with future games, I wonder if buying them at launch is even worth it anymore. This is not to say the games they make are shit, but I grow tired of spending full price on a game only to find the product looks like swiss cheese in locations. I've actually stopped buying any game that has announced DLC at launch because of XIII-2. Metal Gear Rising and Fire Emblem: Awakening are on the waiting list till all of their downloadable stuff is out.

As for the DLC here, I was more in reference that Sega's done this with the Sonic Adventure re-releases. Their digital re-releases often nix the extra, enhanced edition content behind a paywall, and it seems like something most companies would do, to be honest. Put the extra stuff from the newer version behind something and sell the vanilla build. So in that case, it doesn't surprise me if any company would release a game and then hide its enhanced stuff from a later version behind a paywall. Does that help clear up where I stand?

MrDenny

I doubt it's true.
International version is a completely different version, you can't just have the extra content unlock after buying the dlc.
Plus the press release already confirmed the international versions.

Seda

Plus the press release already confirmed the international versions.

That is the big chip in this rumor. The NA blog post didn't go into much detail about it but the EU PS Blog (from Bateman) said this:

"Final Fantasy fans will be excited to know that they’re not just getting a mind-blowingly beautifully HD version of the game they love, oh no! Both games are based on the International version, which is the most complete, feature-heavy iteration of each game to release. The International version of FINAL FANTASY X-2 never made it to European shores before, so there’s quite a chunk of additional content for you to dive into!

The International version of FINAL FANTASY X introduces an Expert version of the Sphere Grid in which all the characters start in the middle and you can choose any path… but there are fewer nodes and therefore a decrease in the number of upgrades available – challenging indeed! This edition also includes new abilities, new superbosses (Dark Aeons and Penance), and more.

FINAL FANTASY X-2 is also getting the International treatment, high definition graphics and more content than I can list! But you’ll have to wait a little bit longer until we reveal the full list of enhancements and extra features."

This slight ambiguity on X-2's content makes Final Mission a bit of a question mark, but this statement would be in very poor taste if it wasn't included on the disc at retail.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's a good avatar for kayos? Sarah (SO4), Lymle (SO4), Vaan (FFXII), or Rebecca Black?

Skilletor

How would they sell this in Japan? Yo, we know you have the best version already, but buy this gimped release and spend more catching it up to the version you can probably get for the price of a bag of peanuts.

XIII-2 had major holes to show where DLC was supposed to go, and I only assume this will be the case for all Final Fantasy games going forward. Square-Enix did it in pretty bullshit ways with that game, too. Like, besides the arena that was basically there to point to DLC, I actually got mad when I wanted to learn about one of the minigames, and the game had the balls to not even tell me what it was or how it worked other than being DLC. If that's the type of model we should be expecting to see with future games, I wonder if buying them at launch is even worth it anymore. This is not to say the games they make are shit, but I grow tired of spending full price on a game only to find the product looks like swiss cheese in locations. I've actually stopped buying any game that has announced DLC at launch because of XIII-2. Metal Gear Rising and Fire Emblem: Awakening are on the waiting list till all of their downloadable stuff is out.

As for the DLC here, I was more in reference that Sega's done this with the Sonic Adventure re-releases. Their digital re-releases often nix the extra, enhanced edition content behind a paywall, and it seems like something most companies would do, to be honest. Put the extra stuff from the newer version behind something and sell the vanilla build. So in that case, it doesn't surprise me if any company would release a game and then hide its enhanced stuff from a later version behind a paywall. Does that help clear up where I stand?

I agree. The more DLC becomes @ launch and filling plot holes to try and entice us to buy them the longer I, you and many others will hold out on buying the games.

That is the big chip in this rumor. The NA blog post didn't go into much detail about it but the EU PS Blog (from Bateman) said this:

"Final Fantasy fans will be excited to know that they’re not just getting a mind-blowingly beautifully HD version of the game they love, oh no! Both games are based on the International version, which is the most complete, feature-heavy iteration of each game to release. The International version of FINAL FANTASY X-2 never made it to European shores before, so there’s quite a chunk of additional content for you to dive into!

The International version of FINAL FANTASY X introduces an Expert version of the Sphere Grid in which all the characters start in the middle and you can choose any path… but there are fewer nodes and therefore a decrease in the number of upgrades available – challenging indeed! This edition also includes new abilities, new superbosses (Dark Aeons and Penance), and more.

FINAL FANTASY X-2 is also getting the International treatment, high definition graphics and more content than I can list! But you’ll have to wait a little bit longer until we reveal the full list of enhancements and extra features."

This slight ambiguity on X-2's content makes Final Mission a bit of a question mark, but this statement would be in very poor taste if it wasn't included on the disc at retail.

They're holding off on announcing all of the content so they can make more total blog posts about the game.

Shahed

Minimum of 3 weeks. Max of 9 weeks.

3 weeks per region I take it? Well we'd have to find something we disagree on first before we make a bet! From what I've seen, we appear to have similar interests so that may be a bit difficult.

Jude

kayos you are ill
Maybe the previous Jude avatar is missed? Absence does make the heart fonder and all that...

MrDenny

From the us ps blog comments.
Justin Massongill said:
I reached out to Square Enix, who confirmed that yes, this will be the International version of FFX and FFX-2.
So I guess this confirms the rumor is bs.

Seda

They're holding off on announcing all of the content so they can make more total blog posts about the game.

Well obviously that's a part of it, but the fact that FFX's content is all listed but X-2's is not is interesting to me in regard to the inclusion (or lack of) for Last Mission.

EDIT: Anyways my statement on Last Mission in that post was mostly an aside. It's awful if they say "[your'e] not just getting a mind-blowingly beautifully HD version of the game [you] love, oh no! Both games are based on the International version, which is the most complete, feature-heavy iteration of each game!" if that stuff is DLC.

I'm not buying this rumor.

ULTROS!

Just wondering, since it's almost impossible to lock out the International content on X, does that also apply to X-2? Meaning if you lock out the X-2 International content, you'll have to basically restart the game all over again?

gaming_noob

kayos90
Tragic victim of fan death
(Today, 12:17 PM)

OT...my apologies.. but that tag is the funniest one I've seen in a while.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This is why gamers keep getting dicked over. Don't have much of a choice? Are you a baby? Are you being forced to consume this game like it's the only baby food your mother is willing to feed you to keep you alive? It's a video game - one you've played before at that. Suck it up and realize you're not going to die from not giving SE money for this.
I've waited more than a decade to play the international content, which I have never played by the way. If I have to pay an extra 5 bucks for it I'll do it, I'm not going to lie. It sucks what SE is doing if this is true, and it's even more shitty for me to give in. But this is my favorite game of all time and I will give SE an undeserved extra 5 bucks for it if I have to.

I'm not going to make excuses for my self. I am definitely part of the problem, you'll get no argument from me. But this is an unusual circumstance for me personally.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well obviously that's a part of it, but the fact that FFX's content is all listed but X-2's is not is interesting to me in regard to the inclusion (or lack of) for Last Mission.

EDIT: Anyways my statement on Last Mission in that post was mostly an aside. It's awful if they say "[your'e] not just getting a mind-blowingly beautifully HD version of the game [you] love, oh no! Both games are based on the International version, which is the most complete, feature-heavy iteration of each game!" if that stuff is DLC.

I'm not buying this rumor.

I'm with seda on this as usual.

Also you guys are sick people. SICK!!! I have like 3 mods who know the best way to avatar own me.

Top Bottom