• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game memes that are based on inaccuracies or misconceptions

That's pretty funny looking back as Dark Souls III confirms
Solaire is NOT Gywn's son. The Nameless King is.

Miyazaki confirmed that in an interview before even Dark Souls II was released and that didn't stop the crazy theories about Solaire.

Phediuk

Here's another good one: Ridley's artwork in the manual of the original Metroid. This is often trotted out as an example of dumb Americans replacing gorgeous Japanese artwork with ugly rubbish. Is there nothing those ignorant Westerners won't ruin?

But in reality, his artwork is exactly the same in the Japanese manual.

ridley-j.jpg
ridley-e.jpg

That was his intended look.

DOWN

Banned
The Final Fanfasy X laugh memes

People desperately try and act like there's something noteworthy about that scene but it's frankly an unremarkable "just force yourself to laugh without pause" thing. I don't believe anyone who says they know the scene was ironic but consider it poor on a technical level on a production side. Please. You saw the video and thought it was bad voice acting on a normal scene and can't backtrack well.

RRockman

Banned
That "too much water" was some random, completely stupid complaint that only IGN would make, rather than being a frequent complaint about Ruby and Sapphire for a decade.

I like the fact you bolded decade. Thats exactly why the IGN remark is considered stupid. Hoenn's main feature that differentiates it from the other regions is the WATER. you'd think theyd pick up on that the first time around and realize "Hey! Wer're going back to Hoenn, I should expect water here!" But then you have said goofy quote happening. Its like saying there's too much caves and mountains in Sinnoh for crying out loud.

Metzhara

Intentional or not, it's pretty stupid.

Right but it is misused is the point, right?
It IS stupid, but most people who saw this meme thought "Oh man, the AI are just plain dumb!" In context to the game, yes the game is stupid, and the AI isn't great, but the reason these guys are heat seeking on you is simply that they're "blind" in the story.

No one questions the atrocity of the game, but perhaps some of those who didn't play it did so because they thought the AI was stupid.

So by that, I suppose the meme saved hundreds of people from torment, torture, and sickness. Good job meme! Goodguymeme

Justinh

Okay so people have already covered the too much water thing - seriously, I was really confused when I found out what it was referring to; it was one of things I had heard people complain about consistently since the original games, and the actual review text explains that the complaint is because using HMs is still so awkward.
Oh, I always thought they put it at the end to tie up a joke the set up at the beggining of the review in the sub-title. Maybe I'm mis-remembering that...
I've always assumed his name was supposed to be Erol, like Erol Flynn. (My dad, of all people, pointed that out when I was a kid)
That's interesting. I never thought of that. I always just thought he had a weird name when I was a kid and didn't even notice it until the internet memes kept shoving it in my face.

pizzacat

Banned
Gremlin DVa before the new emotes were out.

(Also as said before, the Miyamoto quote is not a meme or misconception, but a work ethic quote created in an era where video games rarely had post-release patching and would have to have all the content right out the gate)
Gremlin dva was gods work

Santiako

2419662-8925703875-da2ot.gif

Dragon Age 2 doesn't have any QTEs

But that's not showing qtes, it's showing the press A for Awesome philosophy from the actual devs.

People want to be able to press a button and have something awesome happen. There's a "button awesome connection."
Will be able to play on Easy or Normal and just "hit 'A' all day and have a good time."

I like the fact you bolded decade. Thats exactly why the IGN remark is considered stupid. Hoenn's main feature that differentiates it from the other regions is the WATER. you'd think theyd pick up on that the first time around and realize "Hey! Wer're going back to Hoenn, I should expect water here!" But then you have said goofy quote happening. Its like saying there's too much caves and mountains in Sinnoh for crying out loud.

Something that's bad the first time doesn't magically become un-bad the second time because you expect it.

Something that's bad the first time doesn't magically become un-bad the second time because you expect it.

Yeah. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the actual 'meme' here is but I hated the water/HM use in those games when they first came out and I avoided buying the remakes because of it. I'm pretty sure there's a point where you need Pokemon with Dive, Waterfall, Surf, and maybe even Flash all at once, and remember just constant Wingulls...

Weebos

Banned
But that's not showing qtes, it's showing the press A for Awesome philosophy from the actual devs.

That's not the point. It's saying all you have to do in DA2 is press the A button because they turned it into an action game.

Even still, that scene is a (joke) cutscene.

EDIT: Actually, it might not be, its been awhile since I played DA2, thought it was the Varric narration scene at the start.

Mega

Banned
Navi being annoying is more meme than reality, I feel.

It was reality for me. In my first playthrough I did the dungeons or something in the game out of sequence and was hounded for literally hours with the same message to go do X. People I know who had previously never played OOT or heard of the meme have commented during gameplay that Navi is annoying as shit.

Yeah. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the actual 'meme' here is but I hated the water/HM use in those games when they first came out and I avoided buying the remakes because of it. I'm pretty sure there's a point where you need Pokemon with Dive, Waterfall, Surf, and maybe even Flash all at once, and remember just constant Wingulls...

From what I understood of it before I actually saw the review it was from, it was acting like IGN were ridiculously saying that the very concept of water was offensive and saying the game was bad solely from that, which I guess is because at the very end where all the pros and cons are listed as short bulletpoints, "-Too much water" is one of them and everyone zeroed in on that alone. Then I read the actual review and it's like one or two paragraphs out of two pages where they, "Well they've updated a bunch but some core flaws are still here, there's still lots of annoying HMs to use and there's way too many boring water areas where you have to use HMs a lot, it's still pretty darn good," which was totally reasonable and what seemed like the utterly orthodox consensus surrounding the game.

It's like if Doom 3 BFG Edition came out, and still had you have to switch to the flashlight, and people were all "LOL this review says the game is too dark! It's a spooky game, idiot, why would you say that!" (Yes I know a sizeable amount of people over the years have come around on the flashlight thing in Doom 3, I'm just making an example)

Lork

Another Zelda example:

latest

Error from Zelda 2 is often cited as an example of "lol look how dumb those game designers were with their glitches and shit!" I mean, they didn't even finish his dialogue!

Except they did; Error is his name, and another guy named Bagu (Bug) refers back to him and you have to return and get an item from him.
Nope, it's still a fuckup. They translated the names inconsistently so the joke doesn't make sense unless you read about it online after the fact. It should've been something like Errol and Bagu if they wanted to be subtle about it or Error and Bug if not. "Error and Bagu" is still worthy of mockery.

99% of Assassin's Creed Unity players never saw this bug, but it was always used as an illustration of how bad the game was.

came here to post this exact same thing. Only happened to people with a specific graphics card and was fixed with the day one patch. But now the game will be forever plagued with that shit

I agree context matters regarding the "too much water" thing although Hoenn still remains my favorite region for how varied it is. Diving was too cool, IMO

RRockman

Banned

I agree with that. What they could have said instead of simply too much water is there is not enough to do on the water. Or say that they didn't like how the water routes was handled. Maybe even complain about very little was changed about how the water is handeled in Hoenn last time.(Something I hope they are working on in Sun and Moon) She did mention these things in the review but her summation was off.

Flatly saying too much water with out anything to it toward a water based region is dumb. If the statement was "The Water areas are a chore to manuver" with we wouldnt be talking about this now.

I agree with that. What they could have said instead of simply too much water is there is not enough to do on the water. Or say that they didn't like how the water routes was handled. Maybe even complain about very little was changed about how the water is handeled in Hoenn last time.(Something I hope they are working on in Sun and Moon) She did mention these things in the review but her summation was off.

Flatly saying too much water with out anything to it toward a water based region is dumb. If the statement was "The Water areas are a chore to manuver" with we wouldnt be talking about this now.

Really, all the tweaks of original Hoenn features are improvements. Unfortunately, there are still a few big flaws that weren’t addressed, and they’re even more noticeable in light of more recent Pokémon RPGs.

Anything more than Surf and Fly is too much, as far as I’m concerned, and Hoenn is one of the worst HM offenders. Alpha and Omega dropped Flash for a total of seven HMs this time around — and in the late-game you can summon Latias or Latios to fly you places, which means you won’t need a Pokémon in your team with Fly — but compared to X and Y’s five HMs, it’s obvious why the decision was made to pare them back in subsequent games.

t’s not a new complaint, but Hoenn is still imbalanced type-wise, heavily favoring water. It’s especially noticeable in Alpha Sapphire, in which Team Aqua (the villains of the piece) use a lot of water types. It feels like there are water Pokémon in nearly every battle, and I have an overleveled Pikachu to show for it. You also have to navigate many bodies of water, since much of the late-game involves the HMs Surf and Dive to get from place to place. Diving was really neat back in 2002 when it was new, but I found it incredibly tedious in Alpha and Omega — an obvious example of how superfluous some HMs are.

The water itself is absolutely gorgeous with the new graphics and details, though. One of my favorite parts of the entire adventure was splashing through puddles that reflected the starry skies at night, and even diving was made better by seeing a school of Luvdisc swimming by. Building my Super Secret Base on the rainy Route 119 had an extra-comfy, drinking-tea-on-a-rainy-day feel. Everything in Hoenn, water or not, is either delightfully cute or strikingly beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing the entire region anew — despite the tediousness associated with navigating all that pretty water.

I feel like that's fairly clear about their problems. Could use more detail, but it gets the idea across just fine.

From what I understood of it before I actually saw the review it was from, it was acting like IGN were ridiculously saying that the very concept of water was offensive and saying the game was bad solely from that, which I guess is because at the very end where all the pros and cons are listed as short bulletpoints, "-Too much water" is one of them and everyone zeroed in on that alone. Then I read the actual review and it's like one or two paragraphs out of two pages where they, "Well they've updated a bunch but some core flaws are still here, there's still lots of annoying HMs to use and there's way too many boring water areas where you have to use HMs a lot, it's still pretty darn good," which was totally reasonable and what seemed like the utterly orthodox consensus surrounding the game.

I'm pretty sure the meme came out because IGN seemed like they were expecting the remake to have the region completely redone and have less water parts. Which is kinda absurd I think, people expect Pokemon remakes to feature the region as faithful as possible to the original. I never liked Ruby/Sapphire because of a lot of reasons, one of the being surfing, but the remake is absolutely marvelous, it would lose a lot of it's charm if it became more streamlined, Hoenn is one of the most unique regions because of this.

edit: I mean, it makes sense, but ending the review with "too much water" as if they weren't expecting is just weird

Nairume

Banned
Not necessarily a meme, but bring up Final Fantasy Adventure and you'll almost always get somebody tripping over themselves to remind you that it isn't a final fantasy game and is actually a Mana/Seiken Densetsu game and only had it's name changed in the US for brand recognition.

The reality is that the game was always branded as a Final Fantasy spinoff in Japan, and it wasn't until sequels that they started backing off on that (and not even immediately, seeing as how SD2/SoM still had moogles). Europe is the only region where Seiken Densetsu 1 didn't also carry the Final Fantasy title in some form or another.

Kinsei

Banned
The Koopalings are Bowser's biological children. One of them is even named Morton Koopa Jr. for crying out loud.

Nope, it's still a fuckup. They translated the names inconsistently so the joke doesn't make sense unless you read about it online after the fact. It should've been something like Errol and Bagu if they wanted to be subtle about it or Error and Bug if not. "Error and Bagu" is still worthy of mockery.

Right but it's clear that Bagu is the fuck up and not Error. For some reason everyone latches onto the latter though. It's probably because most people never made it far enough to meet Bagu.

Nairume

Banned
The Koopalings are Bowser's biological children. One of them is even named Morton Koopa Jr. for crying out loud.
Names can skip generations though. Maybe Morton is Bowser's dad's name.

edit:
Miyamoto has actually gone back and said that they aren't Bowser's kids now, but that wasn't necessarily the case before.

Glowsquid

They were introduced as Bowser's childrens in SMB3 and subsequent media. It isn't a "misconception", an "inaccuracy" or even something invented in the localization, it's just something that changed.

In the Japanese instruction booklet of Super Mario Bros. 3, they are called 「自分の子供>コクッパ7兄弟」 in the story section (pg. 4), and King Koopa's line (pg. 2) reads 「ワッハハ。これから俺様の息子達がこのゲームの説明をするぜ。息子達の言うことをよーく聞いてせいぜいガンバルことだな。ワッハハ。」 Note Koopa's use of 「俺様の息子たち」 (ore-sama no musuko-tachi), which equates to "my children" (or, literally, "my sons") while at the same time referring to himself in an extremely arrogant manner. The children are introduced with the phrase 「そして、これがコクッパ7兄弟だ!!」 (pg. 3). Larry (pg. 4), Morton (pg. 8) and Lemmy (pg. 34) refer to King Koopa as 「オヤジ」 (oyaji), which is both a Japanese word for "father" as well as a term of endearment

Ithil

"You know, Ellie, we really are The Last of Us."

isn't an actual quote from the game.

The annoying thing about this one is it's supposed to be a joke about really bad and unsubtle title drops, but people just use it as a template instead like "You know ___, we really are _____ (name of film/show/book/game)", instead of coming up with their own versions of terrible title drops.

Ultimadrago

I'm surprised I haven't seen The Sonic Cycle image posted yet (though I wouldn't consider it the most inaccurate). I don't find it has been very relevant for a time.

INB4 700 explanations about how people just don't get the Tidus laugh scene like it's a new insight.

vcksdcG.jpg

It's supposed to be awkward you dummies

This. The point of the scene is that they're awkwardly pretending to laugh. Just taking it out of context makes it seem ridiculous.

The FFX laughing scene was intentionally awkward, ok?

edit -- i see y'all have me covered, thanks.

Good call, Corpekata.

I don't know why laughing scene defenders assume the mockery originated from a misunderstanding. It's a simple scene, after all. People mock it because it is bad and features a memorable line reading, not because they misunderstand it.

Kinsei

Banned
Now Fi on the other hand...

"Hey I know you're on the fifth dungeon but there's a chance you've forgotten how to play so I'm going to pop up and tell you the solution to this puzzle."

Fi is the worst. She even sucks in Hyrule Warriors where almost everyone is amazing.

The annoying thing about this one is it's supposed to be a joke about really bad and unsubtle title drops, but people just use it as a template instead like "You know ___, we really are _____ (name of film/show/book/game)", instead of coming up with their own versions of terrible title drops.

We really are the Final Fantasy XIII.

I'm sorry, couldn't help myself.

PSqueak

Banned
Civilization's infamous "Spearman vs. Tank" situation, where an Ancient-era Spearman can dethrone a 20th Century tank, doesn't happen because Spearman are actually stronger than tanks, but because that particular unit has had so many promotions, and thus extra combat strength, that it has a small chance to win in Civ's roll-of-the-die results for combat. It is a victory due to RNG moreso than anything.

Either way, measures have been taken to ensure this doesn't happen anymore.

Still, in civ 3, Spearmen are crazy broken when it comes to balance, they will tank way more advanced units like crazy, that's more or less where the joke comes, not specifically that it ALWAYS beats a tank, but that they will chew through your invading army most of the time unless you bring ludicrous numbers with you.

I don't know why laughing scene defenders assume the mockery originated from a misunderstanding. It's a simple scene, after all. People mock it because it is bad and features a memorable line reading, not because they misunderstand it.

Honestly, the scene is even dumber knowing the context of it.

Top Bottom