• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game memes that are based on inaccuracies or misconceptions

You're missing the point.

The meme is that Navi bombards you with "Hey Listen!" When the latter is actually optional and only happens if the player acknowledges Navi.

That's a pretty damn irrelevant point to make. Navi pesters you and more often than not you answer her, hearing the quote in full. You'd have to be super pedantic to consider that the meme is wrong just because you technically don't listen to all of it every time.

You're criticizing his semantic use of the word "sequentially."

Indeed, I am. What do you find confusing about it?

emb

Geoff had a good explain for this, but i can't remember
"They pay me money!"
The explanation, from what I remember, was basically that the money has to come from somewhere. And while it might also make sense at first to go for advertising video games, that was avoided for the sake of integrity, ie not being paid by the creators of the products you're giving coverage or awards to.

I don't remember other details, but I do remember him explaining it on a podcast and his viewpoint sounding pretty reasonable.

majik13

"Hey Niko, my cousin, it's me Roman, your cousin! You wanna go bowling?" in GTA IV.

I completed the game 2 times to get 100% and I was never harassed by Roman with his phone calls like people tend to say.

Really? I only played this back when it launched, and it was definitely my number 1 complaint, even before there was a meme. I never did beat it. Maybe they reduced it or changed it in a later patch?

DocSeuss

shenmue is about sailors for like 2 minutes and thats it but it's the main thing about the game when brought up.
People also mistakenly call it a "good game" or "fun" when it's not either of those things.

I think it's more that the animation is goofy as hell is why it's picked on so much

Well, yeah, it looks better at the appropriate run speed/framerate. This is like watching an old timey film and laughing at how people move because camera speeds were weird. The game doesn't look like this.

L Thammy

You have to press at least two different buttons to succeed in most Dynasty Warriors/Musou games.

Funny enough:

Koinuma: The games in the Samurai Warriors series can be played by pure button-mashing. We check to make sure you can beat them just by punching a single button. Even people who don’t play action games at all can enjoy playing them as long as they keep pressing buttons, so I hope even people who aren’t very good at action games won’t hesitate to play it.

uGY6cqY.gif

This GIF is often used as an example of bad hitboxes in Dark Souls 2.

In reality:

1) The hit does actually connect
2) The i-frames are linked (in quite a silly way, I admit) to a stat, which requires like 20 points to get even with DkS1 which is kinda confusing
3) It's an animation issue

*Splinter

To the posters saying "everyone knows the Tidus laugh is supposed to be sarcastic" - you realise that the vast majority of gamers have never played FF10, right?

I'm not even calling it an obscure game, I doubt any game has been played by anywhere near a majority of gamers.

PC gaming is expensive

Grinding is required for JRPGs
I'd guess that the price per performance is usually higher. This argument is usually used in response to "consoles are weak PCs", in which case you are indeed comparing the console to a more expensive PC.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Came to post this. Other M's faults are legion. No need to manufacture additional ones.

I'm pretty sure that the 'baby' meme is just a shorthand for Samus' excruciatingly cringeworthy internal monologue that is present throughout the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Years ago, GAF used to intentionally mix up games made by Capcom and Konami. It always got a giggle out of me.
Technically, it's only Castlevania that should be mixed up, since the joke is a reference to [thread=109071]this thread[/thread].

One of my favorites because it still gets people.

mussolman

I don't think this is a very widely held belief, but some people think that "PC master race" is supposed to be a serious statement about PC superiority.

Orayn

IMO Diamond and Pearl deserve much for flak for having too many caves than Ruby and Sapphire for having too many water routes.

NewGame

Banned
uGY6cqY.gif

This GIF is often used as an example of bad hitboxes in Dark Souls 2.

In reality:

1) The hit does actually connect
2) The i-frames are linked (in quite a silly way, I admit) to a stat, which requires like 20 points to get even with DkS1 which is kinda confusing
3) It's an animation issue

It's still valid, if your character model is what you view as 'your' hitbox and your character model is not inside the attack animation but then the game decides 'no actually you did get hit' that means that the hitbox did not sync up with the graphics articulation, thus being bad at defining what the player did wrong; if the dodge animation changes based on a stat why not make a slower or delayed dodge animation? Because lazy? Because dark souls games aren't as good as demons souls? Yeah probably. :)

zMiiChy-

Banned
Navi being annoying is more meme than reality, I feel.
Having just 100 % completed OOT on an actual N64 a few months ago, I disagree.

There's an community exaggeration to her nuisances, but she's indeed quite obnoxious and annoying.

The only defense I've heard towards her justification as a character is her role as a beacon for Z-targeting.

She makes gratingly obvious statements throughout the entire game, and only one or two lines of her dialogue exhibit any personality whatsoever.

The fact that she pesters you to hear her useless hints made me hate her over time.

Ralemont

not me
Out of interest what other logic issues are you on about?

1. Catalyst says its ultimate mandate is to preserve life by harvesting races. Then it brings those harvested races to harvest the other races, risking them being destroyed and having those cultures/races lost. Why not build an actual army of machines to do the harvesting and leave the preserved race Reapers in dark space?

2. Catalyst saying the Citadel is a part of him isn't exactly a plothole, but you then have to jump through some significant hoops to justify Sovereign's need to brute force his way into the Citadel to open the relay in ME1. Since the Catalyst built the Citadel, why didn't he code a shortcut such that he could open the relay to dark space any time he wished?

3. How the hell can the Crucible possibly work as it does? How can something target "synthetic life" when EDI and the geth are built completely different and aren't remotely similar in how they function? Then the Catalyst says Shepard will be targeted, but Shepard just has synthetic implants....so implants count now? Then it isn't just targeting synthetic life, it's targeting...complex synthetic designs? Okay, then how can Shepard survive when so many of those implants are in his brain and destroyed? And why aren't quarian suits targeted?

4. A bizarrely mystical tone hangs over everything, wherein the symbolic becomes the real. There's no logic behind Shepard shooting a terminal activating destroy except that it's a symbolic act for destroy and the Crucible can...read Shepard's intent or something. The Catalyst says only Shepard can make the new solutions happen because...I guess Shepard is the player and they want the player to make the choice?

I'm sure there's more, but yeah in order to enjoy the ending you kinda have to accept the "it's abstract sci-fi and things won't make sense" angle and just enjoy the emotional content of the ending. Which, to be fair, is pretty damn good with the EC.

Pizza

Navi being annoying is more meme than reality, I feel.

Yeah I didn't play OoT until a couple years ago and I was pretty surprised that I actually loved navi a lot, she was really unintrusive and now every other Zelda game lacks the "hey" as she flies over to the monster you've Z-targeted and it makes me feel lonely by comparison (Majora is great)

I really like how navi was a guide/companion/and excuse for how Z-targeting is represented ingame (instead of just going "cool link! You locked on!" Navi physically flies over the monster's head you're fighting UGH I love it)

I guess mine may be MGSV story/story presentation. I know it's not traditional "metal gear" (and I haven't got to the apparently disappointing end yet) but I like how the game is presented like a slice-of-life anime starring "big boss" who methodically steals everything and everyone that isn't nailed down

1. Catalyst says its ultimate mandate is to preserve life by harvesting races. Then it brings those harvested races to harvest the other races, risking them being destroyed and having those cultures/races lost. Why not build an actual army of machines to do the harvesting and leave the preserved race Reapers in dark space?

2. Catalyst saying the Citadel is a part of him isn't exactly a plothole, but you then have to jump through some significant hoops to justify Sovereign's need to brute force his way into the Citadel to open the relay in ME1. Since the Catalyst built the Citadel, why didn't he code a shortcut such that he could open the relay to dark space any time he wished?

3. How the hell can the Crucible possibly work as it does? How can something target "synthetic life" when EDI and the geth are built completely different and aren't remotely similar in how they function? Then the Catalyst says Shepard will be targeted, but Shepard just has synthetic implants....so implants count now? Then it isn't just targeting synthetic life, it's targeting...complex synthetic designs? Okay, then how can Shepard survive when so many of those implants are in his brain and destroyed? And why aren't quarian suits targeted?

4. A bizarrely mystical tone hangs over everything, wherein the symbolic becomes the real. There's no logic behind Shepard shooting a terminal activating destroy except that it's a symbolic act for destroy and the Crucible can...read Shepard's intent or something. The Catalyst says only Shepard can make the new solutions happen because...I guess Shepard is the player and they want the player to make the choice?

I'm sure there's more, but yeah in order to enjoy the ending you kinda have to accept the "it's abstract sci-fi and things won't make sense" angle and just enjoy the emotional content of the ending. Which, to be fair, is pretty damn good with the EC.

Oh. Yeah.

Lol i never noticed some of those. I think the first time I beat ME3 I had the talk with Garrus which felt so satisfying and sweet between people who were practically brothers I just "enjoyed" the rest. Apparently the Dark Matter thing was the original ending but then it got leaked and Old EA Overlords wanted something new so...yeah. The machine conflict always made sense to me because it had come up time and again, even an allegorical version with Drell and Hanar, but oh well.

I think my hope for Andromeda is Bioware are just more relaxed and have a plan, even if the leaks sounded oh so familiar :p

Top Bottom