• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video shows woman shoot at burglars in home invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Because many times more people die than are saved by guns. Owning a gun greatly increases the chances that you'll die. My "agenda" is saving as many lives as possible, which clearly implies reducing the number of firearms, and by pointing the near uselessness of owning them for self-defense.

Yeah, like many other unnecessary things. The ACTUAL odds are still incredibly low. Guess I'll take my chances. :)

Buzzati

Banned
They were there to rob her, not kill anyone. The guns were for intimidation.

I'm forwarding this information to the authorities. You know something the rest of us don't and I think it's pertinent that the police speak with you. PM me with your info.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tales from the ass? That one guy didn't have a mask on - a brazen move that demonstrated he was ready to kill witnesses.

I agree with the danger (they were absolutely ready to kill her imo) but you can't accuse him of asstalez and then present the bolded as a fact. Most armed robbers don't kill their victims and most aren't wearing masks. And what about the wig?

The part when the dude was waving the gun straight past her face is terrifying as fuck. Dude could have spam the trigger and she would have been dead. Glad that she's ok.

serves them right

she is vietnamese too :D

I guessed as much when watching it. In fact, she looks so much like my aunt I went wtf audibly.

Hagi

Jesus christ I have little sympathy for the burglars

Tales from the ass? That one guy didn't have a mask on - a brazen move that demonstrated he was ready to kill witnesses.

You don't accuse someone of tales from their ass then counter it with tales from your ass lol

But those guys would hve killed her definitely, huh? So it was justified for her to shoot them and kill one of them.
This is infuriatingly ignorant.

I don't advocate owning guns, but this was legitimate self defense, and she had reasonable cause to fear for her life. Even if you were right, and they weren't planning on shooting anyone, she had no reason to think that, and she had no reason to act like a doormat and let them do what they wanted to either.

Dirca

Sad that someone died but they shouldn't have been trying to rob that lady. They all had guns and she did what she had to do to protect herself.
Couldn't care less a gun carrying would be criminal/murderer was killed. Hope the 2 that survived are either captured or seriously make some new life choices

But those guys would hve killed her definitely, huh? So it was justified for her to shoot them and kill one of them.

No. Like I previously said. There's no way to know for certain. But any rational human being can infer from multiple armed people breaking into their home that their lives are in danger.

Yes. She was absolutely justified in using lethal force. What was her alternative? Roll the fucking dice on being passive and hope she doesn't get raped/murdered?

E92 M3

I agree with the danger (they were absolutely ready to kill her imo) but you can't accuse him of asstalez and then present the bolded as a fact. Most armed robbers don't kill their victims and most aren't wearing masks. And what about the wig?

I think the fact that he took it off was telling.

Jesus christ I have little sympathy for the burglars

You don't accuse someone of tales from their ass then counter it with tales from your ass lol

It's not a tale. Witnesses get eliminated all the time. Those guys busted in there guns drawn and ready to fight.

mdubs

Banned
It's always interesting to see people who feel that the proper response to armed people kicking down your door is to invite them in for tea

Amory

If only she had put more points into Speech or Stealth. She could've either passed a speech check and convinced them to leave or just snuck out of there.

J-Rod

It takes a really evil state of mind to blame the innocent for the actions of the guilty. The man is dead because him and others burst through the door with guns drawn. They are the ones entirely responsible for the situation that caused a human death, not the innocent victim put in mortal danger.

low-G

They broke in, she was definitely in the moral right to shoot (and kill) them. It wasn't necessarily brave to do what she did. She did what was the most prudent action. Laying in wait to ambush them would have also been acceptable.

Unknown if she was doing blind fire out the door or not. Definitely wrong to do if she was blind firing. Can't tell from the video.

Trouble

Banned
under her circumstances an innocent death would be brushed off as an accident.

The fuck it would. There's a saying amongst a lot of gun owners that goes along the lines of 'you fire the bullet, you own the results'. Firing out the door at a fleeing robber crosses a line where you may still be legally justified to kill that person, but good luck trying to duck responsibility for a stray bullet that kills an innocent.

well she didn't kill a neighbor so why even bring it up

it's like when it comes to guns people will find any way to pull anything they can to not support and just a bunch of what ifs

just like the people whining about what ifs from protests blocking traffic

Why bring it up? Because it's irresponsible and dangerous. Shooting at them in the house vs shooting at them out the door as they flee are very different scenarios.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

Uhh, yes? Like how the hell can anybody think it wasn't? I'm shaking my head like I never did before reading your posts. It's really making me sick to my stomach

Hagi

It's not a tale. Witnesses get eliminated all the time. Those guys busted in there guns drawn and ready to fight.

You are sitting there all arm chair Poirot giving out criminal profiles from 45 seconds of footage. We have no idea what they would have done if she hadn't emptied a clip into them. Tales from my ass indeed.

You are sitting there all arm chair Poirot giving out criminal profiles from 45 seconds of footage. We have no idea what they would have done if she hadn't emptied a clip into them. Tales from my ass indeed.

No one knows. And she was under no moral obligation to submit and find out.

Spaced33

Man fuck these guys. No sympathy from me. I'm glad she was able to defend herself from these scumbags. They picked the wrong house and paid for it.

Kelsdesu

Nothing of value was lost.

tumblr_ny6msk008r1qcaycmo1_500.gif

Some of y'all in here cold-blooded as fuck.

She does have the right to defend her property(not sure if she does own said property), but goddamn.

Also she should not have kept shooting into the street once the assailants fled the scene. Somebody could have caught a hot one just passing by.

2MF

The family of the dead burgalar should definitely sue her.

I'm sorry for the family, but fuck that guy. He enters someone's house holding a gun and intending to rob them and potentially kill them, he's made a choice that can end with him or someone else dead. Better him than someone else.

I don't own a gun and I don't know how to use one, but if I did and someone entered my house with a gun on their hands, I hope I'd have the guts to kill them before they harmed anyone here.

2MF

Best part is the last shot fired blindly into the street 20 seconds after everyone is gone.

How do you know that they weren't outside aiming their guns at her, or whatever other possible scenario where they were still a threat?

Even if they weren't a threat, it might not be easy to be completely rational when you just had three armed guys busting into your home. To put it lightly.

ArjanN

I know most criminals aren't exactly geniuses but it's kinda weird they just bust down the door guns drawn, that seems like a really, really stupid plan, just from a practical point of view.

2MF

I know most criminals aren't exactly geniuses but it's kinda weird they just bust down the door guns drawn, that seems like a really, really stupid plan, just from a practical point of view.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Shouldn't they do it quietly and when they're sure there's no one at home, in which case there's no need to enter the house Rambo style?

It's not smart, but it definitely suggests they expected the home to be occupied at the time of entry, which makes their violent robbery attempt all the more vile.

Ganhyun

Man some of these people remind me of the family of a young man who was shot and killed in Florida earlier this year when he was caught robbing a woman's house by said homeowner.

At some point they had to have been asked why he would be robbing houses or something along those lines. Here is the quote from his cousin:

“You have to look at it from every child’s point of view that was raised in the hood,” Harris said. “You have to understand … how he gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school? You have to look at it from his point-of-view.”

So, we have people out there who think robbing people to take their stuff should be allowed as a job. Why should we be surprised that there are potentially people here who think she shouldn't have defended herself?

(link to that other story here btw: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ar-as-he-fled-her-home-should-she-be-charged/)

2MF

Man some of these people remind me of the family of a young man who was shot and killed in Florida earlier this year when he was caught robbing a woman's house by said homeowner.

At some point they had to have been asked why he would be robbing houses or something along those lines. Here is the quote from his cousin:

So, we have people out there who think robbing people to take their stuff should be allowed as a job. Why should we be surprised that there are potentially people here who think she shouldn't have defended herself?

(link to that other story here btw: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ar-as-he-fled-her-home-should-she-be-charged/)

This case seems very different though, since the burglar was both running away and not armed according to your link.

Randam

You're right. I don't think there's ever been a burglary where the homeowners have been shot. Not a single one.

Very good point.
Where did I make a point?
I'm just asking for numbers.

It's simply bullshit that every time there is a burglary, or so the homeowners, storeowners or whatever get shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom