• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

Gorki247

Like kinect this is optional but your paying for it as this whole thing is taking 10% of gpu away from gaming.

Do you really think not having the snap feature would give those 10% back to games? The OS still needs that resource and it allows for other features such as background tasks and fast switching. It's not like the PS4 won't have some of it's resources ring fenced for OS functions.

p3tran

Banned
There was this topic where you could see a recent version of the debug UI, which according to posters in that same topic is quite similar to the 1.5 one. Although we can only see the first "layer" of the interface, which is the minimalist one. The more detailed pages with tiles, images etc. are not visible there (see explanation by KennyLinder).
oh, I have seen this one too, thanks.

anyway.....

to me, it looks like microsoft has set the goal there...
the interface looks nice and I am sure that almost everyone will find a way that these customize/snap things will be helpful to him.
from the ease of opening up a map related to the game you are playing, to achievement details (I am sure many nice apps-to-be-snapped will be created), to checking out something irrelevant, to switching for whatever reason etc.

ITS GOOD. no way to downplay this.
for all the fighting I have read against this, its wrong.

operating systems in many cases are the reason for mobile preference, handheld preference, and even computer preference.
I dont see how its 100% irrelevant in this case..

GetemMa

I'm going to have web Spotify snapped with IE and play music while I play Forza.
Porbably going to have E3/event count downer also snapped while I play games.

Skype videochat snapped would also be nice.

I'm going to have all 50 inches of my TV dedicated to the game I'm playing.

If I want to listen to music during a game of FIFA, I will move my hand two feet and hit play on my phone or I will change the audio input on my receiver, or if I get really desperate to not listen to the sound that the game developers have provided, I will use Sony Unlimited Music.

I will just remember the approximate dates of the 3 events a year I care about, instead of needing a constant reminder taking up part of my screen while I play games.

directly dismissed here on Morts blog http://doddscientifics.com/

but he has tweeted that he hears of more problems with the xb1 os and n4g have run with another xbx1 in crisis story as a results

http://n4g.com/news/1385705/famousm...-os?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

seems we now have the same people quoting each other in ever escalating stories and the fans are lapping it up No amount of videos showing it works will stop this until it's in the wild and people see it works or doesn't now.

This is the problem in a nutshell. Insiders/bloggers quoting each other based on an unnamed source(s).....
The folks putting out the "news" become bigger news than the actual story and that's not right. FM and the Bird are savvy enough to know that even though they couldn't put a post on GAF, it would make its way there because of their twitter following. I'm guessing FM weighed the notoriety and adoration of being right against the possible vitriol of being wrong and ran with it.

It's crazy to me, our thirst for "news" has us lapping up things that are obvious.
I don't make games but I do "develop" products, and I can tell you that I've been on teams where we have literally worked on and pushed updates within a half hour of going "live". It happens ALL the time. Day one buyers will always be beta testers regardless of how far into the future MS says they went to do their testing.

madmackem

And in both it works, what's the problem again?

The newer video shows nothing, he even says nothing is working in the video.I said we cant judge this video because hes only attempting to launch the apps rather than running them. My og post was in reply to someone saying its running smooth you cant judge that seeing as nothing is running with the apps he trys to snap.

Gorki247

If I want to listen to music during a game of FIFA, I will move my hand two feet and hit play on my phone or I will change the audio input on my receiver, or if I get really desperate to not listen to the sound that the game developers have provided, I will use Sony Unlimited Music.

Or you could snap in the music player; select your playlist and return to full screen gaming (while the music player continues to play). Much better than playing music from a phone or changing audio inputs IMHO.

derFeef

I will just remember the approximate dates of the 3 events a year I care about, instead of needing a constant reminder taking up part of my screen while I play games.

I think you also miss one point here - you can close the snap and it runs in the background. Same as switching stuff on your phone. I am baffled that this is an issue to people.

The newer video shows nothing, he even says nothing is working in the video.I said we cant judge this video because hes only attempting to launch the apps rather than running them. My og post was in reply to someone saying its running smooth you cant judge that seeing as nothing is running with the apps he trys to snap.

The app does not work because of no connection. It's about the snapping, which clearly works, no? I am running in circles here...

madmackem

I think you also miss one point here - you can close the snap and it runs in the background. Same as switching stuff on your phone. I am baffled that this is an issue to people.

The app does not work because of no connection. It's about the snapping, which clearly works, no? I am running in circles here...

Thats what im saying its snapping something that isnt working ie not using any system resources at the same time. So my post saying it cant really be classed as running smooth because its snapping black boxes running nothing.

derFeef

Thats what im saying its snapping something that isnt working ie not using any system resources at the same time. So my post saying it cant really be classed as running smooth because its snapping black boxes running nothing.

So, what about the other video... lol. Stuck in a loop.
An older build ... even better no?

EvB

This is the problem in a nutshell. Insiders/bloggers quoting each other based on an unnamed source(s).....

Like the other day when Mortimer and somebody else confirmed that had both heard the same rumor, therefore it must be true.

Only problem is there, their source wished to remain anonymous and it turned out they both had the same one.

Do you really think not having the snap feature would give those 10% back to games? The OS still needs that resource and it allows for other features such as background tasks and fast switching. It's not like the PS4 won't have some of it's resources ring fenced for OS functions.

GPU resources? For what exactly?

DjRoomba

Banned
Salt.jpg

enough-internet.gif

Oh ok mr gif, I guess you are going to use the snap feature a ton and you genuinely think its useful

The folks putting out the "news" become bigger news than the actual story and that's not right. FM and the Bird are savvy enough to know that even though they couldn't put a post on GAF, it would make its way there because of their twitter following. I'm guessing FM weighed the notoriety and adoration of being right against the possible vitriol of being wrong and ran with it.

It's crazy to me, our thirst for "news" has us lapping up things that are obvious.
I don't make games but I do "develop" products, and I can tell you that I've been on teams where we have literally worked on and pushed updates within a half hour of going "live". It happens ALL the time. Day one buyers will always be beta testers regardless of how far into the future MS says they went to do their testing.

That's very true. At the moment anyone who leaks a bit of news or a rumour is becoming the news.

it's the first real social media console launch. I suspect marketing types will write essays about this in future.

and indeed, I develop commercially and we have products where we've put a hell of a sprint in during the final month (and afterwards of course) leading to launch.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Why would you have to reserve GPU time when there is literally nothing concurrently with the game that needs GPU resources? You don't need GPU time for suspended background tasks. Resources are re-allocated on switching context between main menu, applications and game.

Conversely, the XBO runs applications concurrently with the actual game at the same time. Both, game and application, are potentially rendering stuff, and since both game and application are developed independently, run independently, and are even executed on independent runtime environments (GameOS vs WinRT), a supervisor needs to allocated a fixed a and predictable amount of resources to both of them at the same time. Otherwise, the performance of both would be necessarily mutually compromised. You wouldn't have that amount of resource predictability anymore for which consoles are known.

GetemMa

I realize that you can minimize it to the background.

I think you are missing my point. All of this snap BS, is just side stuff to do other than play videogames. Other than music running in the background which I would almost never do anyway, the snap feature is basically an avenue to use inferior versions of apps that I have on my phone or tablet and I would have to do it all with a cumbersome controller. The music is a decent use, but you can do this stuff on a PC or a PS4. It isn't something that makes Xbox1 standout, at all.

I don't know about you but I can't actually play videogames and surf the web at the same time. I would have to pause the game and at that point I can just pick up my phone/tablet which is an infinitely superior device for surfing the web. This sort of kills any reason to surf the web on my console, no?

This is the reason that a lot of people see this XBox1 UI and shrug. It brings nothing new to the table other than an inferior way to do the things we can already do on our phones/tablest/PCs, but now we can do them on our game console with an inferior UI.

In short: It's pointless window dressing that has robbed the console of resources, reducing the quality of its games, and making the console cost more at retail.

It isn't fanboyism that is making people shrug. It is rational consumerism.

Thorgi

I was playing my 360 tonight and would have loved to have snap. I was playing Magic 2014 and couldn't get past the last challenge so I did exactly what people are saying... I pulled out the Nexus 7 and found the guide. It was a long challenge and quite detailed and the tablet ended up timing out a half-dozen times.

Snapping the guide on the screen would have been SO much easier.

But mostly I plan on using snap for watching TV and playing casual games and also for gaming and skyping with friends & family.
Yikes, your tablet shouldn't be having those problems! My iPad 2 has never hitched up on me like that.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
In short: It's pointless window dressing that has robbed the console of resources, reducing the quality of its games, and making the console cost more at retail.

I agree. This is clearly a result of the non-gaming devisions of Microsoft wanting the XBO to be a trojan horse for their (partially struggling) products.

GetemMa

or just an opinion. no more or less valid than any other.

I can see myself using it plenty and like what they're doing with it.

Not all opinions have the same level of validity by merely taking place in the same discussion.

There are varying degrees of rationality (or irrationality) and truths that come into play.

If you would use the snap feature a lot then great. I personally haven't seen anything that usurps my phone/tablet/PC.

The Xbox1 UI just looks like MS doing backflips with their console OS because they felt like they had to do something but they didn't quite know what that was, but it had to use Kinect, because....Kinect.

Doffen

Most of the time I'm also going to have all 100 inches of my projector screen dedicated to the game I'm playing.

What if I want the sound of the game and the sound of the music from the same source? People got different taste, and those who remember the Xbox 360 music replacer feature might agree with me. I don't care for Sony Unlimited Music, nor do I care about Pandora, Deezer, Xbox Music and Wimp: Spotify is where I've got my money invested.

I don't understand the concept of time. But I like to kill 5-2 minutes before a stream starts with gaming, and doing so while I got the chance to quickly switching from the game to the stream is wonderful for me. But sure; fuck options.

Gorki247

Why would you have to reserve GPU time when there is literally nothing concurrently with the game that needs GPU resources? You don't need GPU time for suspended background tasks. Resources are re-allocated on switching context between main menu, applications and game.

Conversely, the XBO runs applications concurrently with the actual game at the same time. Both, game and application, are potentially rendering stuff, and since both game and application are developed independently, run independently, and are even executed on independent runtime environments (GameOS vs WinRT), a supervisor needs to allocated a fixed a and predictable amount of resources to both of them at the same time. Otherwise, the performance of both would be necessarily mutually compromised. You wouldn't have that amount of resource predictability anymore for which consoles are known.

OK, I'll hold my hands up; I misread and thought it said CPU resources.

Still, I can see many uses for the snap feature - in particular using Skype when gaming with my brother.

derFeef

Not all opinions have the same level of validity by merely taking place in the same discussion.

That's a bit hypocritcal of you I think, who are you to say which opinion is valid and which is not. This is not of which machine or gadget does it better, it's about an option that is there to use if you want to.

OK, I'll hold my hands up; I misread and thought it said CPU resources.

Still, I can see many uses for the snap feature - in particular using Skype when gaming with my brother.

Pretty much why im trying to get many of my gaming friends on skype hoping it will come to all platforms.

GetemMa

Most of the time I'm also going to have all 100 inches of my projector screen dedicated to the game I'm playing.

WOW. That is SO BIG.

tumblr_m7sys37msF1rn95k2o1_250.gif

What if I want the sound of the game and the sound of the music from the same source? People got different taste, and those who remember the Xbox 360 music replacer feature might agree with me. I don't care for Sony Unlimited Music, nor do I care about Pandora, Deezer, Xbox Music and Wimp: Spotify is where I've got my money invested.

Lets hope the spotify website works on XBL then, otherwise:

9frxHEo.gif

I don't understand the concept of time. But I like to kill 5-2 minutes before a stream starts with gaming, and doing so while I got the chance to quickly switching from the game to the stream is wonderful for me. But sure; fuck options.

I think you've discovered MS's original sales slogan for the Xbone.

nib95

Banned
Gaf, why is Snap so controversial?

Insiders have said Snap/OS is buggy at the moment. Insiders have been right about 99% of stuff so far. Lot of people want something to call the insiders out on, so controversy ensues. Personally, I think the bugs will largely get sorted. if not we'll hear about them at launch.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Insiders have said Snap/OS is buggy at the moment. Insiders have been right about 99% of stuff so far. Lot of people want something to call the insiders out on, so controversy ensues. Personally, I think the bugs will largely get sorted. if not we'll hear about them at launch.
Lol at people wanting something to call insiders out on being the controversy. Richness indeed....

p3tran

Banned
Because it is a great feature only one system has

this. and if they get it working perfectly, its quite a big deal.
there will be a lot of downplay, for that I am sure, but looks like a up-with-the-times os.

..now if only the fuckin xbone had 50 dollars more of gpu in it.....
oh well...stupid suits....

there will be a lot of downplay, for that I am sure, but looks like a up-with-the-times os.

Wouldn't be surprised if in 2014~2015 the os will allow games to disable snap function to claim back some gpu resources. But yeah 14 CU instead of 12 would have been nice.

nib95

Banned
Lol at people wanting something to call insiders out on being the controversy. Richness indeed....

My post wasn't supposed to infer that was the sole controversy lol. Obviously the notion that Snap might not be working properly is controversial in itself. Especially given it's largely attributed to the 10% GPU reserve.

Ya the power really bothers me too. If the os works great it might entice me to play more multi-platforms games on it. But in the end, even with this, its hard to argue the more powerful console being 100$ cheaper...

PhatSaqs

Banned
My post wasn't supposed to infer that was the sole controversy lol. Obviously the notion that Snap might not be working properly is controversial in itself. Especially given it's largely attributed to the 10% GPU reserve.
Snap or any other OS features not "working" before the system launches shouldn't be and isn't controversial either. The fact that insiders have blown it up to the degree they have is what's making people react the way they have.

Some of the comments here are ridiculous. Are you really serious complaining about a feature that is OPTIONAL? Don't you use it if you don't want it. Just play games or do whatever you do on a console. It's like saying why does MS include a headset with Xbox, am never online. Or why Sony wasting resources on remote play, I will never buy a vita. Why does my cellphone plan includes SMS, I never use them. Why is there a Bluetooth on my car, I have a Bluetooth headset right here. Why have two good things, its absurd right? Why do I have have a camera on my tv? Why do I Have Skype on it? I have Skype on my phone. Why do I have Netflix on my tv? I have it on my PC. I have it on my phone, and ps3 and Xbox and tablet.

This not about you and me. Its about giving people options. Like web browsing on PS3. Why have it when I can do it from my PC and phone??

OPTIONAL features. No one is forcing anyone to use it. Not gonna use it? Don't talk about it. Talk about something you wanna do with the console. Not gonna buy it? You have another options, why wasting time here?

This so fucking stupid. Complaining about an optional feature on a device is sickening.

One of the reasons the XB1 is less powerful than the PS4, and runs games like Ghosts at 720p is because Microsoft is dedicating system resources to all these extra features. So in a sense you're giving up game performance for these features you may never use.

nib95

Banned
Snap or any other OS features not "working" before the system launches shouldn't be and isn't controversial either. The fact that insiders have blown it up to the degree they have is what's making people react the way they have.

Two weeks before launch? I don't know, that sounds more problematic. But we shall see.

Doffen

WOW. That is SO BIG.

ShittyGIF#1[IMG][/QUOTE]

You're the one who brought in inches here. I really couldn't care if one got 13, 36 or 55 inches, sometimes you'd like to be immersive in the game you play and devote yourself 100% to it, other times you just play to kill time while you drink beer, play music and chat with your friends on Facebook.

[quote="GetemMa, post: 88439504"]Lets hope the spotify website works on XBL then, otherwise:

[IMG]ShittyGIF#2[IMG][/QUOTE]

It might work, it might not. But be rest assure there will be released an unofficial app within a month or two.

bj00rn_

Banned
this whole thing is taking 10% of gpu away from gaming.

Looking at posts like these from a distance is hilarious. I think the Xbox One is perfectly ok (compared to the PS4 and the Wii U), but considering you're complaining about a few percentages and really seem to think margins matter, you would be better off with a solid PC gaming rig (because the PS4 won't help much in the big picture anyway).

One of the reasons the XB1 is less powerful than the PS4, and runs games like Ghosts at 720p is because Microsoft is dedicating system resources to all these extra features. So in a sense you're giving up game performance for these features you may never use.

No. The Xbox One is less powerful period. The extra features aim to make it more useful/appealing to it's intended audience, of which, GAF is but a small part.

p3tran

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if in 2014~2015 the os will allow games to disable snap function to claim back some gpu resources. But yeah 14 CU instead of 12 would have been nice.

Ya the power really bothers me too. If the os works great it might entice me to play more multi-platforms games on it. But in the end, even with this, its hard to argue the more powerful console being 100$ cheaper...

guys, see the big picture... two years down the road, a good gaming rig will be so far ahead in multiplats, that the differences between the two consoles will matter way less than what you think now.
plus, xbone being the slouch will only force microsoft to spend money on games.

so basically, mid-term it can only be a good exclusives box like the wii, if microsoft plays its cards right from now and on.
now, if it has SOLID exclusive games and great OS and features, it might work. else.......

Top Bottom