• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

ironcreed

Banned
I have come to realize that I would actually like and use this feature. I just don't want to pay $100 extra for it and would prefer a bit more muscle on the gaming side of things at a cheaper price. But I'll still end up with one all the same.

On a side note, it would be pretty funny if after all the leaks, meltdowns and shit storms it actually launches with nothing but maybe a few minor launch hiccups. At the very least it would give us something to look back on and laugh at and we could get on with the business of starting a new generation without so much drama.

derFeef

Why are you ignoring the other video that shows everything running? Has it been discredited or something?

he is driving me crazy with that behaviour and he does not even respond to my question WHY he is doing it, and WHY he thinks it does not matter. But oh well.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
The touchpad doesn't take up system resources so you can not want it and it doesn't hurt anything.

How many people who are actually getting an x1 are complaining about the snap and os? Am I really off or is this thread just a bunch of ps4 supporters trying to shit on the x1?

Wow. Everything's so fluid and fast. I can imagine myself switching between a walkthrough Guide and the game or even have it snapped on the right side while I'm playing. Or whenever I'm learning moves in a fighting game, have the move list snapped. I love this idea. I wonder how Sony's going to counter this.

Should certainly help if mmo are coming or destiny kind of games.
That is how i played wow back in dem olden days.

Game and snap help tool to the side. Wondering if games can publish meta data to the os side of the X1 like player position, players in enemy team or many other information.

Moving forward, it doesn't matter if something is labeled as rumor or closer to fact, if it comes from famousmortimer's, thuway's, verendus's, etc. mouth then it's going to be taken in as fact. As of right now, words uttered from our insider's mouths have the ability to create what can only be described as a shitstorm, extending from these boards to the gaming industry at large. That level of ripple effect should come with responsibility, and Bish and the mods have done a wonderful job at weeding out the players from the bullshitters, but at the moment, proven and established insiders all have the notion that "things change" to fall back on if rumors don't pan out. I'm not really sure what can be done on this front, outside of the insiders themselves being incredibly selective in the rumors that they do eventually share, which I'm assuming is already the case.

Regardless, it doesn't look good when you have gaming outlets pushing rumors corroborated by multiple GAF insiders within articles, only for said rumor to effectively be squashed days later by damning videos. Especially with something as profound as suggesting that a console OS is fundamentally broken, which has the ability to effect sales if true. Touchy situation to say the least.

It's a disappointing situation especially since twitter can be used to circumvent the mods to still get the rumor posted on GAF and taken as fact. But in the end our gaming decisions should not be shaped by rumors. We'll see for ourselves in 12 and 19 days how these systems work in the wild.

How many people who are actually getting an x1 are complaining about the snap and os? Am I really off or is this thread just a bunch of ps4 supporters trying to shit on the x1?

Nah, they are trying to muck it up.

Pointless. Just hope for the best games, from all 3 companies.

Like, you called MS out on DRM. They dropped it, now move on.

jem0208

You don't seem to be that far off.

The annoying thing is some people keep claiming that the fact that the apps aren't actually running means it still might not work, even with the 2nd video showing that they run perfectly fine.

It's a disappointing situation especially since twitter can be used to circumvent the mods to still get the rumor posted on GAF and taken as fact. But in the end our gaming decisions should not be shaped by rumors. We'll see for ourselves in 12 and 19 days how these systems work in the wild.

Was really shitty how that went down.

'Cant get two sources, but I need to get this info out there.'

Edit: Pause/Resume was practically the first next-gen feature revealed. Also by Sony. And it wont be ready in two weeks. Limited complaints about that. No insiders digging for that. Everything will be ready when its time. For all parties involved.

p3tran

Banned
ok, how about its time to have some xboned rumor backfired gifs?

it looks like OS is ....viable to say the least, let alone ..fantastic if it manages to shape up and remain fast.

beast786

Assuming it works perfectly.(which I can't see why it won't eventually in its life cycle)

it's a nice option. I remember for walk through it was pain . having side be side would be the best benefit I can think, or for trophy hunting guide. there is no question that would be real helpful in those cases.

But for me personally, I haven't used a walk through for long long time. And now I am always close to 2nd screen anyway. I have google tv , and I can't recall when I ever had to switch to any app OT internet while doing anything.

Regardless, great option for people who rely on walk through and trophy/achievement hunting. It won't be the only option but it would be nice.

To me personally nothing is worth taking away my gaming viewing screen. but I would still like to have this option.

The rumors dropped when a video of it working showed up.

It was a waste of a weekend considering the footage we have now. And I hope they do a better job next time, when juicy info is dropped in their lap.

But that is the risk you take when you want to be 'first'

Perhaps it was a waste of time, but that's just part and parcel of leaking info....it could be weeks old and those leaking (especially when it's third hand) don't really have an idea of how old the info is or any way to check if the info is still valid...

I understand for a guide or something, I'm currently using the Dragon's Dogma Wiki to do all quests, but for me I have my laptop and iPad next to me at all times while gaming.

I have my laptop near me too, but I think having everything on one screen could be beneficial so that you're not having to constantly look away. An on screen guide at the same time as you're playing would have its advantages.

Im not we are talking about this video.

The video doesn't exist in a vacuum. There's a second video that clearly shows everything running and reasonably well at that, yet you keep pretending that video doesn't exist....why exactly?

what point are you trying to make by pretending the new video exists in a vacuum? Or are you simply trolling?

he is driving me crazy with that behaviour and he does not even respond to my question WHY he is doing it, and WHY he thinks it does not matter. But oh well.

I hate to call people out for trolling, but I think it's fair to say that might be the case here....

PhatSaqs

Banned
ok, how about its time to have some xboned rumor backfired gifs?

it looks like OS is ....viable to say the least, let alone ..fantastic if it manages to shape up and remain fast.
I'd wait til the 22nd for those. Dont want to have the backfire gifs backfire lol.

VaizardNL

Banned
Wow this place is terrible. People really keep searching for things to moan about. Things like Twitch/streaming also take up resources. You really think Sony doesn't reserve resources for this?

Ms probably reserved more than is necessary and this will probably diminish after proper optimization over time. Just chill people.

Gamers are really terrible moaners (during times like this). They ask for stuff, they get it, they moan some more over other things.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The UI looks really nice, that's coming from someone who hates metro.

I think the snapping function itself is pretty useless, I don't see a use case scenario for myself for snapping apps. Doing anything on a tiny part of the screen, including watching TV or reading something on the web, would drive me nuts. But how fast he was able to switch from playing a game to IE and back to game was very impressive.

New002

Moving forward, it doesn't matter if something is labeled as rumor or closer to fact, if it comes from famousmortimer's, thuway's, verendus's, etc. mouth then it's going to be taken in as fact. As of right now, words uttered from our insider's mouths have the ability to create what can only be described as a shitstorm, extending from these boards to the gaming industry at large. That level of ripple effect should come with responsibility, and Bish and the mods have done a wonderful job at weeding out the players from the bullshitters, but at the moment, proven and established insiders all have the notion that "things change" to fall back on if rumors don't pan out. I'm not really sure what can be done on this front, outside of the insiders themselves being incredibly selective in the rumors that they do eventually share, which I'm assuming is already the case.

Regardless, it doesn't look good when you have gaming outlets pushing rumors corroborated by multiple GAF insiders within articles, only for said rumor to effectively be squashed days later by damning videos. Especially with something as profound as suggesting that a console OS is fundamentally broken, which has the ability to effect sales if true. Touchy situation to say the least.

I was going to jump in but this post pretty much covered it.

p3tran

Banned
I'd wait til the 22nd for those. Dont want to have the backfire gifs backfire lol.

why the hell not?? :D
thread backfire-backfire = double the fun!!!

personally I will be telling you guys how good or bad the things are come nov23rd,
and how the xbone behaves in what is a TIER 325 country for microsoft.
Hell, the official microsoft channels encouraged me to import one, and if it doesnt work we are all going to have some fun here :D

until then, the OS in the second video with killer instict, it works, it definitely works and looks a bit hmm... BAD ASS :D

dont forget guys, if you arent having ANY fun during console launch, then you;re doing it wrong! ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some of the comments here are ridiculous. Are you really serious complaining about a feature that is OPTIONAL? Don't you use it if you don't want it. Just play games or do whatever you do on a console. It's like saying why does MS include a headset with Xbox, am never online. Or why Sony wasting resources on remote play, I will never buy a vita. Why does my cellphone plan includes SMS, I never use them. Why is there a Bluetooth on my car, I have a Bluetooth headset right here. Why have two good things, its absurd right? Why do I have have a camera on my tv? Why do I Have Skype on it? I have Skype on my phone. Why do I have Netflix on my tv? I have it on my PC. I have it on my phone, and ps3 and Xbox and tablet.

This not about you and me. Its about giving people options. Like web browsing on PS3. Why have it when I can do it from my PC and phone??

OPTIONAL features. No one is forcing anyone to use it. Not gonna use it? Don't talk about it. Talk about something you wanna do with the console. Not gonna buy it? You have another options, why wasting time here?

This so fucking stupid. Complaining about an optional feature on a device is sickening.

remoteplay is an optional feature on PS4. If you don't use it, it costs the developer nothing.

Kinect is an optional feature on the Xbox one. If you don't use it, it still cost you $100

Snap is an optional feature on Xbox one. If you don't use it, developers still have 10% less power available for their games.

I don't mind optional. I do mind it when it materially impacts my pocket or the games I want to play.

beast786

Wow this place is terrible. People really keep searching for things to moan about. Things like Twitch/streaming also take up resources. You really think Sony doesn't reserve resources for this?

Ms probably reserved more than is necessary and this will probably diminish after proper optimization over time. Just chill people.

Gamers are really terrible moaners (during times like this). They ask for stuff, they get it, they moan some more over other things.

Ps4 has a dedicated streaming hardware. hence why remote play twirls without compromise any system core performance.

and stop moaning about people who might have different opinion and likes. nothing fits everyone taste. I know it's a hard concept but it exist

that being said, I can see it beneficial for some people like I said in last post

Kimosabae

Banned
This would be great for fighting games. Not having to look down at my laptop while practicing combos sounds pretty nice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how many people here play PC games in a window, with a second window open running a FAQ or similar? I can't imagine it is that many. PC has been able to do SNAP for years yet it doesn't seem that common.

Maybe you use a second monitor but thats cheating because you aren't losing any of your gaming real estate for it - thats more like using a tablet IMO.

Not really my taste, but then again I hate the 360 dash, and I don't really want a game console designed like a PC OS. Still I want to see how this works when its pulling animated ads, playing a taxing game, and had an internet connection.

jem0208

how many people here play PC games in a window, with a second window open running a FAQ or similar? I can't imagine it is that many. PC has been able to do SNAP for years yet it doesn't seem that common.

Maybe you use a second monitor but thats cheating because you aren't losing any of your gaming real estate for it - thats more like using a tablet IMO.

I don't because it would be very awkward to set it up in a fashion which is actually useful. For example, you'd have to find a suitable resolution to play the game in then find an app/site which fits into a small space. I would if this were easy, such as it hopefully will be on the X1.

conman

Not sure why this is a big deal one way or the other. It works basically as advertised, and it's still something I see little need for. It's as gimmicky and useless as the old Picture-in-Picture feature on TVs.

What part of it didn't work?

Seemed like everything was fine to me.

Dude, it's just a black box and I am ignoring the second video where everything works, so.. can't you see?

No need to be a smart ass, the game window goes fully black on several occasions, on both videos, and game ratio is all fucked up. If that's your idea of working fully well then you got some very low expectations of it.

Also these short videos in no way show that this is fully working with no crashes/bugs/wtv what so ever

hadareud

The Translator

I do.

I also listen to audiobooks or watch debates on youtube while gaming.

guys, see the big picture... two years down the road, a good gaming rig will be so far ahead in multiplats, that the differences between the two consoles will matter way less than what you think now.
plus, xbone being the slouch will only force microsoft to spend money on games.

so basically, mid-term it can only be a good exclusives box like the wii, if microsoft plays its cards right from now and on.
now, if it has SOLID exclusive games and great OS and features, it might work. else.......

I doubt it. Not enough people have PC's high-end enough that most devs bother taking advantage of it, just look how (un)popular the Crysis series has been. People look at the highest-end GPU cards and figure that represents the current PC power space, it doesn't. Most gaming PC's are mid-range, still more powerful then consoles, but the closed vs openess of the platforms closes that gap until we're at a pretty consistent difference through the gen. PS4 is about 75% of PC, XB1 is abour 75% of PS4.

kingocfs

I NEVER use snap on Windows 8, and I'll probably never use it on the Xbone, but I'm definitely not losing sleep over it being there.

And nice to see some people who weren't exactly into that mortimer blog post circus, because I thought that shit was gross.

Correction, Famous was clear in that he was hearing there were problems with XBL that could take months to fix.

Snap rumours, as far as I'm aware, said it was crashing during gameplay. That's clearly not the case in the two videos we have, it's likely the info that was shared at the time was accurate but those issues have since been addressed.

Yesterday's tweets suggested there are still problems and yet we have these videos. Who Knows.

Going to have to wait until launch for the madness to end I think.

Bgamer90

Banned
Hopefully by never trying to mimic it. I rather hardware resources be spent on graphics performance, not ordering pizza.

I guess you mean MORE hardware resources since both consoles will be using console power for apps.

On top of that, it's funny you say "ordering pizza" considering the fact that a pizza order app would more than likely take less power/space than something like a video app -- the former would just be a mobile webpage more or less.

But hey, good joke I guess...

jem0208

No need to be a smart ass, the game window goes fully black on several occasions, on both videos, and game ratio is all fucked up. If that's your idea of working fully well then you got some very low expectations of it.

Also these short videos in no way show that this is fully working with no crashes/bugs/wtv what so ever

The game screen only goes black twice.

Once when he was looking at in the preview pane on the OS when he unsnaps IE. This basically instantly loads back up when he selects it. The second time when he was spawning in Battlefield.

Also, how is the aspect ratio screwed up?

This.

I'm getting an X1 and I can't wait. That snap stuff looks cool, and I'm loving how fast everything is looking. Perfect to switch to late football games while playing video games, snapping IE if I want to look up where something is at on a game on gamefaqs or something.

I like this option in the OS and is one of the reasons why I'm buying an X1. I want these features.

Who Knox.

0.jpg

VaizardNL

Banned
Ps4 has a dedicated streaming hardware. hence why remote play twirls without compromise any system core performance.

and stop moaning about people who might have different opinion and likes. nothing fits everyone taste. I know it's a hard concept but it exist

that being said, I can see it beneficial for some people like I said in last post

You are right, I picked the worst thing to use as an example, sorry for that. I furthermore don't moan about people with different opinions, to each there own, but it seems as if people are never satisfied when it comes to MS. Once the dust settles on one thing, they dig up news that has been posted/known for quite some time and suddenly make a big deal out of it to just continue the, so to say; 'bashing'. That is not the point of this topic.

You might not agree with me, but this is how I see it as someone who is going to get an Xbox One.

The game screen only goes black twice.

Once when he was looking at in the preview pane on the OS when he unsnaps IE. This basically instantly loads back up when he selects it. The second time when he was spawning in Battlefield.

Also, how is the aspect ratio screwed up?

It happens way more then twice on both videos, and even if it was twice, how does that contradict what I said?

jem0208

It happens way more then twice on both videos, and even if it was twice, how does that contradict what I said?

Did you read my post?

The first time it was only in the preview pane and it instantly came back when he selected it. The 2nd time was the game spawning you in. Not the OS.

The 2nd video is also using an XDK build.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you split the snaps 50:50? I could imagine watching live TV in one half and gaming in the other - with audio from one being routed via headphones or something.

if it is only 75:25 then I still can't help thinking anything like a FAQ in the small section will be difficult to read from the sofa. Looking forward to seeing how people use it though.

hwateber

Seems to work pretty well in that video. It could have some useful applications, and I really feel like Microsoft should be pushing snap/ui rather than fighting spec wars

Troll

Banned

Based on that alone, Microsoft might be on to something HUGE.

Simple. Just have people preface their reply with which console they have preordered.

Or look at post history

MCD

OS feels like 8 and not 8.1 to me due to limited snap and tile sizes. Spring update gonna be good.

Top Bottom