• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

You're grasping at straws right there.

The whole "takes up system resources" or "makes the console more expensive" arguments are a thread crapping bore. It is what it is. How about we actually discuss the console features?

edit -

It's $60 separately on Amazon. I didn't really buy many controllers separately last gen but isn't that the same price as the wireless ds3/360 controllers were?

Still trolling threads by making them a referendum on your specific personal tastes? Never change, Derrick01.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, you could argue it makes the controller more expensive and you are paying for something you don't need or want.

It's $60 separately on Amazon. I didn't really buy many controllers separately last gen but isn't that the same price as the wireless ds3/360 controllers were?

guys, see the big picture... two years down the road, a good gaming rig will be so far ahead in multiplats, that the differences between the two consoles will matter way less than what you think now.
plus, xbone being the slouch will only force microsoft to spend money on games.

so basically, mid-term it can only be a good exclusives box like the wii, if microsoft plays its cards right from now and on.
now, if it has SOLID exclusive games and great OS and features, it might work. else.......

What people like yourself fail to understand is that many of us want nothing to do with PC gaming. For a multitude of reasons we don't even consider it an option. So these consoles are all we have for the next 5-8 years. That's why it's a big deal.

how many people here play PC games in a window, with a second window open running a FAQ or similar? I can't imagine it is that many. PC has been able to do SNAP for years yet it doesn't seem that common.

Maybe you use a second monitor but thats cheating because you aren't losing any of your gaming real estate for it - thats more like using a tablet IMO.

Alt tab exists on PC. Never did on console.

Snap and fast app switching is the console equivalent of that.

I guess you mean MORE hardware resources since both consoles will be using console power for apps.

On top of that, it's funny you say "ordering pizza" considering the fact that a pizza order app would more than likely take less power/space than something like a video app -- the former would just be a mobile webpage more or less.

But hey, good joke I guess...

It boils down to this. If the snap function, or any variation of it, is a taking resources from an already finite and fixed amount of hardware (which it is) then it is not a compelling or desirable feature to have, from my perspective.

The standard, or new standard, of hardware reserved for OS on the PS4 is hopefully less than what is being used on Xbox One. If it isn't, I'd be disappointed as I'm paying for a gaming console primarily. I have a PC, smartphone, and tablet for any of the multimedia, app switching and other functions that they entail. A console surely can be "smart", it also should be an optimal gaming device. This is my opinion, and it's not something that should deter a consumer interested in Snap functionality on their Xbox One.

It's features like these that make me still interested in the Xbox One. If Kinect works well and future multiplats aren't too gimped, I may pick up an Xbox.

p3tran

Banned
What people like yourself fail to understand is that many of us want nothing to do with PC gaming. For a multitude of reasons we don't even consider it an option. So these consoles are all we have for the next 5-8 years. That's why it's a big deal.
well, you are right(ish)

consoles turn slowly to pc's, and i guess you heard the recent news how pc's will be turning to consoles...
I am willing to bet that even people like you will be stopping and thinking about some stuff during the next "5-8" years..

all good, the more and better choices the merrier :)

Alx

This topic is really running in circles... ok we get it, several people dislike the feature, or find it useless, or both. Now what ? Are you going to start a #XboneNoSnap campaign ? Actually as pointless as it would be, it would still be smarter than keeping whining about a feature that will be there anyway. "Hey I don't like that, so I'll complain again and again and I'll never have a reason to stop".
So maybe we could have a more interesting discussion about the possibilities of those features for those who care, or close the thread altogether if there's nothing else to say.

MCD

I suspect MS will make your most recent Snap to be on by default in later updates. As in, you will always see IE or Xbox Music snapped when playing games.

Mononoke

Banned
I for one, think the OS looks cool. But I just don't use my entertainment that way. I wouldn't want to play a game and then pause it, and start snapping and bringing up other apps. Honestly, I would rather use my phone or tablet. I think this is a really great idea in principle, but I also feel like it's a little late. Because I think the majority of people will continue to just use their phone or tablet, if they want to deviate from their TV.

I could be wrong. Maybe this will take off and be huge. But I think people HAVE to make an investment in their phone/tablets (because they can take it with them beyond the house). And I think that is the problem. So if people already have to have these other devices, I feel like they will continue to use them over Xbox One. Anyways, the only reason I would ever use this, is if I'm stuck at a part in a game, and wanted to pull up GameFaqs or a youtube video. That would be kind of neat. But again, I always use my phone or tablet for that.

So yeah....

Cool I guess. Looks slick. But it's not something I actually want.

I always cringe when I see people shitting on extra OPTIONAL features. The thing that irritates me the most is that people cannot understand the concept of different use cases. If it's not useful for you it doesn't mean that it is not useful for other people.

I for one, think the OS looks cool. But I just don't use my entertainment that way. I wouldn't want to play a game and then pause it, and start snapping and bringing up other apps. Honestly, I would rather use my phone or tablet. I think this is a really great idea in principle, but I also feel like it's a little late. Because I think the majority of people will continue to just use their phone or tablet, if they want to deviate from their TV.

I could be wrong. Maybe this will take off and be huge. But I think people HAVE to make an investment in their phone/tablets (because they can take it with them beyond the house). And I think that is the problem. So if people already have to have these other devices, I feel like they will continue to use them over Xbox One. Anyways, the only reason I would ever use this, is if I'm stuck at a part in a game, and wanted to pull up GameFaqs or a youtube video. That would be kind of neat. But again, I always use my phone or tablet for that.

So yeah....

What if your phone is in the other room or it's charging at that moment and you want to quickly look up a strategy guide to help you beat some boss quickly. It's more immersion breaking if you need to pause your game, stand up, look for your phone, search for something and then try to look at your phone and the screen at the same time to figure out a particular strategy. I know I have experienced this many times and wished for something like the snap feature.

I guess you mean MORE hardware resources since both consoles will be using console power for apps.

On top of that, it's funny you say "ordering pizza" considering the fact that a pizza order app would more than likely take less power/space than something like a video app -- the former would just be a mobile webpage more or less.

But hey, good joke I guess...

What you talking about? As far as I'm aware the PS4 can't run apps concurrently, which is what requires a significant amount of XB1's GPU power to be reserved. That's the problem people are expressing, no matter how good the snap feature looks, it's debatable if it's worth it when you have to take resources from the actual games, especially in a closed hardware platform that should have a life-expectancy of over 5 years.

So yeah....

You know what tho, it happens fairly regularly to me where ill be playing a game fast fast while waiting for the hockey game to start. Having things like this can potentially make that type of stuff a lot easier. Imagine if you were to get a notification on screen when the hockey starts and boom, instant switch and your game is paused as well.

Man no joke, I can see myself using that all the fucking time.

You know what tho, it happens fairly regularly to me where ill be playing a game fast fast while waiting for the hockey game to start. Having things like this can potentially make that type of stuff a lot easier. Imagine if you were to get a notification on screen when the hockey starts and boom, instant switch and your game is paused as well.

I'll be doing that with Laker games while waiting between deaths/games on COD and BF.

Did you read my post?

The first time it was only in the preview pane and it instantly came back when he selected it. The 2nd time was the game spawning you in. Not the OS.

The 2nd video is also using an XDK build.
It happens once at 0:20 again at 1:41, mutliple times on the second video.

And did you read my question? It happens therefore it's not working as intended. Doesn't matter how many times it happens over a short video...

And why is the video being used to show how good it works for one thing not be used to also show how it's not?

even with the 2nd video showing that they run perfectly fine.
Double standards much? No, it's not perfectly fine which was all I was saying.

PG2G

These topics are like a battle between people who only like games and people who like games and other stuff.

Tripolygon

Banned
Fuck all ya'll arguing over unnecessary things. I can understand if you want to argue about Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox one or the recent COD : Ghost resolution debacle but the lot of you are freaking arguing over a fucking dash?

artworks-000019009098-i8cx6p-crop.jpg

Alx

You should also consider that you can split different apps, not only the main game. And hopefully, some of the apps can be light games. So yes, juggling between TV, a live stream on the internet, music, weather forecast, bluray, skype calls etc could be very convenient.
Like some detractors said, some smart TV are doing it already (or trying to anyway). So it shows that there is a demand for that, and something like the X1 could do it better (I have a recent Sony Smart TV, and the menus are so sluggish that I'd never consider using them), even on "dumb" TVs.

I never understood why its so important for people who buy a product to consistently shit on the other one, even when theirs is more powerful. Its hilarious.

It's not so much hilarious as it is tragic. It has to do with the investment. People are going to invest thousands of hours and dollars during the coming generation and a way to feel good about that is to shit on everything that those hours/dollars won't be spent on. Knowing that everything else is shit except for their exact preference of products is an important part of the emotional stability of these people. If they thought "all the consoles are awesome but I'm only going with X" they would go insane.

This is bigger than just consoles. Choice of computer, computer parts, cell phones, tablets, car brands, sporting teams etc.

jem0208

It happens once at 0:20 again at 1:41, mutliple times on the second video.

And did you read my question? It happens therefore it's not working as intended. Doesn't matter how many times it happens over a short video...

And why is the video being used to show how good it works for one thing not be used to also show how it's not?

Double standards much? No, it's not perfectly fine which was all I was saying.

The first time is the one I mentioned, it's turning off on the preview pane and it resumes instantly when he activates it. The other time is when he is going to the settings app. It's not unreasonable to assume they switch off the preview when you open a full screen app.

clav

It's not so much hilarious as it is tragic. It has to do with the investment. People are going to invest thousands of hours and dollars during the coming generation and a way to feel good about that is to shit on everything that those hours/dollars won't be spent on. Knowing that everything else is shit except for their exact preference of products is an important part of the emotional stability of these people. If they thought "all the consoles are awesome but I'm only going with X" they would go insane.

This is bigger than just consoles. Choice of computer, computer parts, cell phones, tablets, car brands, sporting teams etc.

Sad thing is those purchases are not investments as they don't return money.

Dukey

Banned
These topics are like a battle between people who only like games and people who like games and other stuff.

I'd bet you most of the people whining about this also want things other than games in the console they're actually buying. And it's always the same people and the same stupid memes.

MORTALIS

Sad thing is those purchases are not investments as they don't return money.

And que sub-debate number 42 for this thread. For the record I think it's an investment too. :p

Snap looks rad to me and while also appreciate the elegant simplicity I'll see on my ps4, personally I can see missing the snap feature too.

p3tran

Banned
yeah I know.. Im no demonite, plus (to start with) the youtube dash video was shaking all over the place.
oh well :D

What you talking about? As far as I'm aware the PS4 can't run apps concurrently, which is what requires a significant amount of XB1's GPU power to be reserved. That's the problem people are expressing, no matter how good the snap feature looks, it's debatable if it's worth it when you have to take resources from the actual games, especially in a closed hardware platform that should have a life-expectancy of over 5 years.

ok yes, its debatable, hence this discussion. Its too early to tell how well this goes over. But unless you are completely closed minded you have to at least concede there is unproven potential here.

Fuck all ya'll arguing over unnecessary things. I can understand if you want to argue about Battlefield 4 on PS4 and Xbox one or the recent COD : Ghost resolution debacle but the lot of you are freaking arguing over a fucking dash?

artworks-000019009098-i8cx6p-crop.jpg

no one's forcing you to be in this thread, ya know

ok yes, its debatable, hence this discussion. Its too early to tell how well this goes over. But unless you are completely closed minded you have to at least concede there is unproven potential here.

Even then, the debate won't end because whether it is worthwhile will be a completely objective topic and will be judged differently by different sets of people.

All of whose opinions are as valid as the others.

But of course we will still have the "I don't like it, therefore nobody should like/have/want it" posts, because people and internet.

starmud

its neat, but neat in the way that every device i have can view youtube or the web even when i don't care for it to do so. it would still be easier to pick up your phone or tablet while playing a game.

its neat, but neat in the way that every device i have can view youtube or the web even when i don't care for it to do so. it would still be easier to pick up your phone or tablet while playing a game.

Hmm.

So:

1. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap TV

2. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap Twitch

3. Guide button/"Xbox" > Call David

4. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Game DVR

5. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Machinima "wingman" app for contextual content.

6. Double tap guide button to switch between apps/app focus

What is the "easier" equivalent of picking up a phone or tablet to do that while playing a game?

(would actually be great if you could put apps on "fast dial" so say you frequently use Skype/IE/TV between rounds or game loading times, you could assign them to Guide Button + A/B/X/Y commands to insta load/snap/switch to your favourite apps from anywhere. I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING MICROSOFT)

DrZeus

I can't wait to play around with it. Looks pretty interesting already and this is launch. It will get cleaner over time.

Dukey

Banned
You don't need to pay for a gold account on top of your internet charge?

That has zero to do with what was being talked about, but don't let that stop you from going off topic.

Yes a voice command is much harder than me pausing a game, finding my tablet, inputting my lock code, and then loading the app.

Hmm.

So:

1. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap TV

2. Guide button/"Xbox" > Snap Twitch

3. Guide button/"Xbox" > Call David

4. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Game DVR

5. Guide button/"Xbox" > Open Machinima "wingman" app for contextual content.

What is the "easier" equivalent of picking up a phone or tablet to do that while playing a game?

1. Have tablet next to you.
2. Push button on tablet.

Top Bottom