• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Xbox One dash app/game snapping

What was reported is not true. There should be bans.

How in the world did two sources say this shit wouldnt be ready for months. HOW?!!!

Looks like its almost ready to me.

nib95

Banned
guys, see the big picture... two years down the road, a good gaming rig will be so far ahead in multiplats, that the differences between the two consoles will matter way less than what you think now.
plus, xbone being the slouch will only force microsoft to spend money on games.

so basically, mid-term it can only be a good exclusives box like the wii, if microsoft plays its cards right from now and on.

Lol, this is a rather illogical way of looking at several things. If PC games do run away with graphics tech and end up looking better and better, it will only tighten the performance ceiling for the next gen consoles, and that will inevitably just leave the Xbox One in an even more tricky position, since it lacks the bandwidth and performance muscle to compete on the same level playing field as the PS4, and even more so high end PC's.

The more graphics tech evolves and advances, the quicker the Xbox One's GPU and ram set up runs in to performance ceiling woes. There's only so much optimisations and improved tools can do to fix that.

Also, yes Microsoft may spend more money to secure third party exclusives to make up for this, but it will probably also lend itself to the Xbox One having a much shorter life span, and as a result, much less software support later in it's life. Not very different from the original Xbox and even the 360 in it's late life.

It's a feature some people's console of choice doesn't have so they have to downplay it.

The flip side of 1080p in (many) games.

Is it so hard to believe that some of us simply don't think this feature is that big of a deal?

I can't speak for others, but free dedicated servers and future 'Xbox App Store' that will most likely be compatible with many existing WinRT apps are far bigger deals than this for me.

Likewise over the other side of the court, Remote Play is something I'd really like, especially once VitaTV comes out. I feel that VitaTV is the better '2nd-screen' product proposition, where you can take your controller to another TV to play PS4 ( or Vita ) games.

TTOOLL

How in the world did two sources say this shit wouldnt be ready for months. HOW?!!!

They reported crashes, not that it's not working at all, right? I don't remember exactly.

Zabka

No. The Xbox One is less powerful period. The extra features aim to make it more useful/appealing to it's intended audience, of which, GAF is but a small part.

Microsoft's app lust is a big part of the reason the xb1 was designed the way it was.

madmackem

Looking at posts like these from a distance is hilarious. I think the Xbox One is perfectly ok (compared to the PS4 and the Wii U), but considering you're complaining about a few percentages and really seem to think margins matter, you would be better off with a solid PC gaming rig (because the PS4 won't help much in the big picture anyway).

You think 10% is a few percentage? ms let the world know they bumped the gpu and cpu clockspeeds way less so it seems it is a margin people feel the need to discuss.

madmackem

Dude its running nothing in this video, if it was a video showing everything running then id agree.

Not bad. Snapping can come in handy at times. Does any one know if the game stays playing while you open something on the side or does it pause it.

p3tran

Banned
Lol, this is a rather illogical way of looking at several things. If PC games do run away with graphics tech and end up looking better and better, it will only tighten the performance ceiling for the next gen consoles, and that will inevitably just leave the Xbox One in an even more tricky position, since it lacks the bandwidth and performance muscle to compete on the same level playing field as the PS4, and even more so high end PC's.

The more graphics tech evolves and advances, the quicker the Xbox One's GPU and ram set up runs in to performance ceiling woes. There's only so much optimisations and improved tools can do to fix that.

Also, yes Microsoft may spend more money to secure third party exclusives to make up for this, but it will probably also lend itself to the Xbox One having a much shorter life span, and as a result, much less software support later in it's life. Not very different from the original Xbox and even the 360 in it's late life.

keyword you missed is "mid-term", as I really dont believe that either xbone or ps4 is a viable one-and-only solution for a core gamer long term (as in a "gen" as we know it right now).
both machines are going to be great for a couple of years. at least for my tastes.
after that, everything routinely will feel like "same game, same engine, version 5"
at least this is my (street-educated, non-insider) guess.
basically desktop tech vs notebook tech, yes one notebook may perform better than the other, but still a long way to a strike.

the other thing you say, about xbone having a short life span, heh, funny, but that is my wish... :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dude its running nothing in this video, if it was a video showing everything running then id agree.

Pretty much. The reports are of crashes when using the apps. I don't think there is an issue with whether the snap functionality works, only with whether the apps actually hold up, and whether it is stable and works as described and intended in an extended fashion.

JaggedSac

I realize that you can minimize it to the background.

I think you are missing my point. All of this snap BS, is just side stuff to do other than play videogames. Other than music running in the background which I would almost never do anyway, the snap feature is basically an avenue to use inferior versions of apps that I have on my phone or tablet and I would have to do it all with a cumbersome controller. The music is a decent use, but you can do this stuff on a PC or a PS4. It isn't something that makes Xbox1 standout, at all.

I don't know about you but I can't actually play videogames and surf the web at the same time. I would have to pause the game and at that point I can just pick up my phone/tablet which is an infinitely superior device for surfing the web. This sort of kills any reason to surf the web on my console, no?

This is the reason that a lot of people see this XBox1 UI and shrug. It brings nothing new to the table other than an inferior way to do the things we can already do on our phones/tablest/PCs, but now we can do them on our game console with an inferior UI.

In short: It's pointless window dressing that has robbed the console of resources, reducing the quality of its games, and making the console cost more at retail.

It isn't fanboyism that is making people shrug. It is rational consumerism.

Streaming to twitch and seeing your video overlay and chat screen at the same time on the snapped app will be nice.

guys, see the big picture... two years down the road, a good gaming rig will be so far ahead in multiplats, that the differences between the two consoles will matter way less than what you think now.
plus, xbone being the slouch will only force microsoft to spend money on games.

so basically, mid-term it can only be a good exclusives box like the wii, if microsoft plays its cards right from now and on.
now, if it has SOLID exclusive games and great OS and features, it might work. else.......

Dont really care about console power i will have both for their exclusive and do most of my gaming on pc.

th4tguy

No. The Xbox One is less powerful period. The extra features aim to make it more useful/appealing to it's intended audience, of which, GAF is but a small part.

The system is less powerful in general AND is using some of those resources to push features like snap, which makes it even less powerful.Hopefully, they will get everything running nice and optimized before the next Halo comes out. I plan on picking one up next fall. PS4 at launch.

Zabka

How did app lust make them choose ESRAM? or DDR3?

They gambled on a cost/performance ratio and so did Sony. Sony's gamble paid off and theirs did not.

They wanted a large pool of RAM to run apps concurrently with games. At the time it was designed that was only possible with DDR3. To make up for the limited bandwidth of DDR3, high-speed ESRAM was added to the APU, eating up space that could have been dedicated to graphics processing (not that it's exactly that simple, but the xb1 apu is huge).

dorkimoe

It's a feature some people's console of choice doesn't have so they have to downplay it.

The flip side of 1080p in (many) games.

yup, people can't be happy for 2 consoles.

I could see myself using this quite a bit with my ADHD

RedSwirl

Like kinect this is optional but your paying for it as this whole thing is taking 10% of gpu away from gaming.

Well that's because Kinect has no compelling software for it. That other stuff actually might be compelling software to some people. There are probably people who could really use Netflix, YouTube, a browser, and other usability software on the same box that's running their games and movies. More software is always better if you ask me, games or not.

Hexa

4GB of GDRR5 would still had been 'better' for 'games' than a 8GB DDR3 + ESRAM combination.

I think that was the mentality when they were making the decision, but at this point I think 4GB is just as bad as the approximate 512MB that the previous console gen had were in the long run. They became a major limitation way early in the gen, and I think the 4GB would too, even with HSPA. It may be better in speed, but I think that the limits imposed size wise would be worse than 8GB DDR3+eSRAM. Now devs have more than enough for a while.

Sony made a really dangerous gamble and it paid off extremely well. They might have thought that 4GB would have been fine when they made it and that it wasn't that risky, but I feel that if they knew how important it was going to become, they may not have made that gamble.

You think 10% is a few percentage? ms let the world know they bumped the gpu and cpu clockspeeds way less so it seems it is a margin people feel the need to discuss.

I agree, 10% is not small by any means. It's a good thing Microsoft will reduce that percentage over time. This is a win-win for xbox one owners.

lol, you're watching very basic use of the feature in 2 minute youtube videos and it isn't even working all that well... Way to jump to conclusions.

Derrick01

Banned
Gaf, why is Snap so controversial?

It's a feature that many gamers (myself included) do not see a purpose for and it's part of a package of OS features that take up too many resources on the system which hurts the games.

There's a lot of neat OS features that I've seen/read about on this system but snap isn't one of them.

harSon

Banned
Moving forward, it doesn't matter if something is labeled as rumor or closer to fact, if it comes from famousmortimer's, thuway's, verendus's, etc. mouth then it's going to be taken in as fact. As of right now, words uttered from our insider's mouths have the ability to create what can only be described as a shitstorm, extending from these boards to the gaming industry at large. That level of ripple effect should come with responsibility, and Bish and the mods have done a wonderful job at weeding out the players from the bullshitters, but at the moment, proven and established insiders all have the notion that "things change" to fall back on if rumors don't pan out. I'm not really sure what can be done on this front, outside of the insiders themselves being incredibly selective in the rumors that they do eventually share, which I'm assuming is already the case.

Regardless, it doesn't look good when you have gaming outlets pushing rumors corroborated by multiple GAF insiders within articles, only for said rumor to effectively be squashed days later by damning videos. Especially with something as profound as suggesting that a console OS is fundamentally broken, which has the ability to effect sales if true. Touchy situation to say the least.

Correction, Famous was clear in that he was hearing there were problems with XBL that could take months to fix.

Snap rumours, as far as I'm aware, said it was crashing during gameplay. That's clearly not the case in the two videos we have, it's likely the info that was shared at the time was accurate but those issues have since been addressed.

Correction, Famous was clear in that he was hearing there were problems with XBL that could take months to fix.

Snap rumours, as far as I'm aware, said it was crashing during gameplay. That's clearly not the case in the two videos we have, it's likely the info that was shared at the time was accurate but those issues have since been addressed.

The rumors dropped when a video of it working showed up.

It was a waste of a weekend considering the footage we have now. And I hope they do a better job next time, when juicy info is dropped in their lap.

But that is the risk you take when you want to be 'first'

Alx

but at the moment, proven and established insiders all have the notion that "things change" to fall back on if rumors don't pan out. I'm not really sure what can be done on this front, outside of the insiders themselves being incredibly selective in the rumors that they do eventually share, which I'm assuming is already the case.

Yeah I don't think it's a very healthy situations to spread this kind of info/rumor right now, considering that they're short-lived but may have bigger consequences. There's no point discussing things like "there are issues now, but they may be solved soon". Because anybody doing software development knows that "nothing ever works, until it does". Nobody should care if things are running before launch, they should care if they're running at launch, and for that rumors are not helping, at best they're useless ("maybe it won't work, and maybe it will"), at worst they're FUD.
It's one thing to speculate months before launch (because we have nothing else to do), but right now it's better to just wait and see. It's only a few weeks before we can taste the pudding.

Oh and also, I don't see the point in complaining about the multitasking of the X1. Whether you like it or not, the console has been designed for multitasking, and even if it came with several compromise there's nothing that can be done about it now. If you don't like it, don't buy it or don't use it, but complaining won't get you anywhere.

Honestly, good for those that see utility in a snap function. For me? I see this function as taking resources from an already performance-constrained console. Not something I'd be willing to take off without second thought. I have a smart phone in my lap at all times to do any searching or app navigating that my heart desires. Optimise and nail goes performance, OS functionality shouldn't come at the expense of games.

Wow. Everything's so fluid and fast. I can imagine myself switching between a walkthrough Guide and the game or even have it snapped on the right side while I'm playing. Or whenever I'm learning moves in a fighting game, have the move list snapped. I love this idea. I wonder how Sony's going to counter this.

I understand for a guide or something, I'm currently using the Dragon's Dogma Wiki to do all quests, but for me I have my laptop and iPad next to me at all times while gaming.

Well that's fine for you but what about the people who don't have a laptop or tablet by their side?

Top Bottom