• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

cluderi

How is it hipster? How is "dudebro" hipster? Also, Forza Horizon 2 really has none of that. Are you basing that simply on the in-game music and (very few) cut-scenes?

I find it hilarious how the term "hipster" has become such lazy go-to term for "different/hip".

I'm basing it on the game I bought for my Xbox one which I've played, I'm not criticising the game for it but simply saying I find it annoying and wish I could turn it off. The long loading screens combined with the music festival and some annoying mid 20s DJ isn't for me. They were totally up front about it and I don't feel deceived or conned in anyway, I'd just prefer to have more simple racing with that game/engine as technically it looks and plays great.

I'm not saying it isn't for you and I'm not saying it's a bad point but I get to decide what I spend my time playing and it isn't for me.

kpaadet

all I know is we've literally reviewed thousands of videos/streams since last week.

this is the only negative one.

I think a lot of ya'll will love it. I know it's been keeping me up at home past midnight every night playing (till like 2am last night!!)

How awesome would you say your game is?

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm basing it on the game I bought for my Xbox one which I've played, I'm not criticising the game for it but simply saying I find it annoying and wish I could turn it off. The long loading screens combined with the music festival and some annoying mid 20s DJ isn't for me.

I'm not saying it isn't for you and I'm not saying it's a bad point but I get to decide what I spend my time playing and it isn't for me.

Yeah, and it's fine if you don't like it. I'm just trying to understand what's "hipster" about it.

fantomena

I didn't read through the thread but this seems to be a poor attempt of being satirical because of the embargo they have. Not sure though.

They said in the video plenty of time they were suprised that the game is so dull because it shouldn't be based on how the game looks.

tuna_love

Banned
I think they sum up why I cancelled my pre-order a week or two ago. The endless grinding, auto aim plus the hipster tone (one of the reasons I can't stand to play Forza Horizons 2, I'm not that target demographic and I just wish I could turn that "awesome bro" nonsense off and race) means this just isn't for me.

Technically the game looks great though.
Do you even know the difference between hipster and dude bro?

cluderi

Yeah, and it's fine if you don't like it. I'm just trying to understand what's "hipster" about it.

Call it a poor choice of words then but if I had to describe it then it's the tone of the in game dialogue and theme which I wish I could turn off or tone down. Sunset seems similar to me in the game footage I've seen and I've chosen not to continue with my pre-order.

Sarobi

Banned
I don't know.. I mean it does kind of look dull. Despite the vibrant colors and the edgy-tone, it seems really empty. You see them grind around for the most part and there just isn't anything going on, no enemies chasing you, no cars moving, no other human npc. I feel a bit disappointed in seeing that.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't know.. I mean it does kind of look dull. Despite the vibrant colors and the edgy-tone, it seems really empty. You see them grind around for the most part and there just isn't anything going on, no enemies chasing you, no cars moving, no other human npc. I feel a bit disappointed in seeing that.
There are other human NPCs though. They are smarter than the freaks and for example dodge the shots.

derFeef

We haven't seen any of the robots, humans and bosses except Fizzie Balloon. There is probably a lot more going on plus the
fake ending
some players hinted towards.

It's really a phenomenon how one negative video preview can trigger those reactions. They exist for all games, that does not mean they are the "true" opinions.

Jb

I sort of got what they were saying, but oh my God they couldn't have sounded douchier and full of themselves talking about it had they tried to.

big_z

Strange video considering their last hands on was very positive. It will be interesting to see the reviews on this one.

rebelfm(Arthur/mitch) talked about sunset on the last podcast. they say theres almost always something going on, and I believe they've played more than 2 hours. they were quite positive on the game overall.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Is this where we say a site is doing a great job of getting hits/views on their content? I'm still hyped for Sunset Overdrive

Blimblim

The Inside Track
There is something terribly wrong with the colors and how dull they look in their video:
Check the histogram on the right of that capture, it's supposed to go all they way to the right until the orange border when there is white, but it's definitely not.
sovghisto.png

They changed the game's brightness to fit their tv/monitor, but the capture is completely ruined...
As for their opinion, we'll see in 5 days...

Edit: It's supposed to look like this http://images.gamersyde.com/misc/sook.png

They'll have the one who will get them the most clicks review the game.

So expect a negative review with lots of 'I knew it was rubbish' and 'no big loss' and 'insomniac were never that good anyway' posts.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
No they are serious when they says its dull.
Considering the way they are playing it I could see why they say it's dull, jumping up in nearly the exact same spot and not using any creativity is a good way to make a fun game seem dull.

Footos22

Did they just call the game Alex Zane.

lol

I dont think they could go any lower then that,

Then again he called infamous dull as hell and then said this is just as dull.

I loved infamous so thanks for the recommendation i guess.

iceatcs

After all of many video previews. I felt like they are playing one massive level mission rather than open world. Hope it will variable things and themeing in this open world.

GHG

Gold Member
After all of many video previews. I felt like they are playing one massive level mission rather than open world. Hope it will variable things and themeing in this open world.

This is one of the biggest things for me. There seems to be a lack of variety/districts in the game world.

Are there even day/night cycles and/or a weather system?

It would have been cool to have those things in to change things up a bit and have the zombies act differently (or have different zombies come out) dependant on the world conditions.

There should also be options for different playstyles in this type of game. Not everyone wants to grind around everywhere all the time like a madman.

The game needs a bit more variety imo to stop it looking/playing stale after just a few hours.

viveks86

The last 3 pages only have 2 or 3 people who have a profile pic per page. 'Sup with dat? O.O

… that's all I have to say on the topic. I've taken a vow not to bother with reviewer opinions anymore, so will wait for Gaf impressions before forming any thoughts of my own

EDIT: All the profile pics are back! No idea what happened there :D

Kssio_Aug

Unfortunately this video seems to confirm my fears about this kind of game format. Open world shooters without stealth or driving mechanics can become repetitive quickly when the gameplay is just shooting and getting from A to B. I loved the Infamous games but even they couldn't figure out a way to make side quests interesting beyond races, combat and basic puzzles.

Yeah there's cool weapons here, but they all seem to just do damage. It would have given the game some much needed depth if they had different types of enemies that were strong or weak against different types of weapons, making you think about your arsenal and use a wide range of weapons.

You do realize that this video was only about the first 2 hours of a 12-14 hours game, right?

That said there will be many other enemies and weapons to fight with, such as robots and flying mutants

JaggedSac

Sometimes I wonder if people are looking for a quick way to cut down on the games they need to buy since there are a lot of good ones coming out and are struggling to decide and would like some "validation" to cross a game off the list.

Occam's Razor

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
They'll have the one who will get them the most clicks review the game.

So expect a negative review with lots of 'I knew it was rubbish' and 'no big loss' and 'insomniac were never that good anyway' posts.

Dude, no one's out to get this game. It's got generally good buzz, there's no reason to get so preemptive. Unlike with Driveclub recently which turned out good but, the delays, the lukewarm reviews and tech difficulties have had everyone confirming their "concerns", this game has no obstacles to hurdle in comparison.

You seem twitchy over any slight against this game. Try not to melt down when people shit on it eventually. That's how I got banned.

Posting "game over, Sony." And ragging on their line up to defend SO is just setting yourself up for a kick in the ass.

This is going to be the next Dead Rising eh?
Which works for me since Dead Rising is top 5 Xbox 360 exclusives.
Also remember any previews are limited to 2 hours. So the guy found the first 2 hours boring. It could be KH2 effect where the game gets better after that. Giant Bomb's preview is the best.

Hypron

What kind of games are fun to you guys who think this game looks boring?

I do find that this game looks pretty boring (I played it as well at an expo a couple weeks ago, and will probably get to play it again this weekend at another) and I find games like the Souls games, PlatinumGames' games, Mario Kart, Super Meat boy, Dead Space, Arkham games, etc... fun.

The weapons don't really feel good to shoot and the gameplay demo I played was braindead easy. The framerate was pretty rough too but that along with the difficulty will probably get fixed.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
inFamous is really pretty dull though.
Still hope this'll be good, I like the vibe

I need some better description of "Hipster videogame" though

Somnia

I find it funny we have tons of positive previews, videos, streams, etc. But the one negative one has its own thread that keeps having people say this one video confirms their concerns. How about watching multiple previews and then have an opinion? Then again a few (note: I'm just saying a few, not all) in here based on their post history were never going to get this anyways.

I love the future of games where we all watch twitch streams/YouTube videos of games and decide if we will like it.. You know without actually picking up a controller and playing it. To get the feel of the game.

I don't expect sunset to set the world on fire but it looks decent to me. I hope it wins people over once they play it... Ahh who am I kidding.

Better than the old days of relying on video game magazines and strictly screenshots/word of mouth to make our purchasing decision though right!?

S1kkZ

There is something terribly wrong with the colors and how dull they look in their video:
Check the histogram on the right of that capture, it's supposed to go all they way to the right until the orange border when there is white, but it's definitely not.

As for their opinion, we'll see in 5 days...

can you say something about the framerate? is it solid?

Facism

Wait, you'll only form thoughts based on Gaf impressions?? Not playing the game yourself??

the problem with "playing the game yourself" is that you need to spend £45 quid to do so. That's the whole idea of reviews and user impressions, getting a feel of a game and what it does before you spend any money on it.

glaurung

I was highly critical of this game until a couple of months ago. It just seemed to be trying too hard and the actual comedy bits were nowhere to be seen. Or well, the comedy looked like something that'd appeal to a 12-year old white moron.

But I am genuinely curious how the end product turned out. Might not rush out to buy this at launch, but maybe in December.

All that bothers me now is that in a lengthy game play video I viewed recently, the jumping looked awful floaty and the guy playing it commented upon it repeatedly.

GHG

Gold Member
Better than the old days of relying on video game magazines and strictly screenshots/word of mouth to make our purchasing decision though right!?

You know the days when we used to get demos for most major releases?

Those were the best days.

The lack of demos, pre or post release, is one of the things that really annoys me these days. Especially considering it would be easier than ever to get a demo out there.

Striek

Wait, you'll only form thoughts based on Gaf impressions?? Not playing the game yourself??
Thats uh...completely normal. Everyone has to evaluate sources of information and reach conclusions. Its how most people discrimate purchases amongst the hundreds of titles released each year.

For instance I safely disregard this preview based on their opinion of inFamous which I wholly disagree with, just like I disregard the posters in this thread disagreeing with the previewing but agreeing with their thoughts on inFamous because I think by and large they've a history of being incredibly shit posters in general.

So I will wait for sources I think are more credible to judge the game, and am biased because I think Insomaniac in general and Fuse in particular get too much crap, which will tinge my perspective of every p/review I read.

I think I used EGM and Nintendo Power back in the day. Luckily I was a dumb kid and enjoyed most of what I bought. Nowadays, it is so easy to get an impression of a game. Gaming culture as a whole has become spoiled (me included).

What did they think? Can't really listen to it right now.
If I remember right, it was mostly positive. They said they could not play more than 2 hours, so we know all previews are limited to 2 hours.

codhand

constantly rail grinding

fetch quest heavy

auto lock aiming

no penalty for death

doesnt sound like id enjoy it.

and so, my xbox one sits

Heigic

I find it funny we have tons of positive previews, videos, streams, etc. But the one negative one has its own thread that keeps having people say this one video confirms their concerns. How about watching multiple previews and then have an opinion? Then again a few (note: I'm just saying a few, not all) in here based on their post history were never going to get this anyways.

Confirmation bias.

You lose some stuff when you die.
I think material for building AMPs is what I gathered. It is an MMO system of death punishment. I rather have that then have to restart a mission when you die like in GTA.

Confirmation bias.
Pretty much, if they can justify it sucks ... they will not be tempted to go buy the console. You will see this happen during MCC, as well as Bloodborne. Bayonetta 2 got it a bit earlier.

Top Bottom