• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

Absolutely hate these type of reviewers where they are just negative. I don't think he liked the game even before he played it! Waste of time watching this video!

saud264

Neo Member
i am playing my review copy.
After about two hour.
+ Beautiful graphics.
- boring game.

I will play more and i wish get more fun.

I'm basing it on the game I bought for my Xbox one which I've played, I'm not criticising the game for it but simply saying I find it annoying and wish I could turn it off. The long loading screens combined with the music festival and some annoying mid 20s DJ isn't for me. They were totally up front about it and I don't feel deceived or conned in anyway, I'd just prefer to have more simple racing with that game/engine as technically it looks and plays great.

Is there a huge difference in loading when running FH2 off an external HD as I am doing? I ask because the loading in that game is very quick for me.

Also, radio can be turned off and even switched to classical music when you've progressed a little bit into the game. You can also disable the DJ for any radio station. I don't care for the music festival bits either but I found them to be pretty unobtrusive outside of the opening video and some extremely short sequences when you occasionally return to the festival for awards ceremonies.

B-Dex

There is a shirt you can wear that has a dinosaur on it with the word believe.....

Might have to buy this now.

I don't get the term hipster for this game either. One of the early missions involves getting a specific brand of carbonated water for a preppy kid because he refuses to drink regular water.

This sounds like the kind of game that makes fun of hipsters.

hwy_61

Banned
I don't get the term hipster for this game either. One of the early missions involves getting a specific brand of carbonated water for a preppy kid because he refuses to drink regular water.

That's because its not hipster.

Wereroku

Is there a huge difference in loading when running FH2 off an external HD as I am doing? I ask because the loading in that game is very quick for me.

Also, radio can be turned off and even switched to classical music when you've progressed a little bit into the game. You can also disable the DJ for any radio station. I don't care for the music festival bits either but I found them to be pretty unobtrusive outside of the opening video and some extremely short sequences when you occasionally return to the festival for awards ceremonies.

Apparently the server problems can cause long load times. So if he only played when it first came out it could give the impression of bad load times.

Jesus christ this video makes you want to string yourself up after watching it. So melodramatic.

The weird part is that the stuff they are saying doesn't match whats being shown on screen really.

I lost my hype for SSOD a little while back as I thought it looked fairly mundane in the footage that was released, but its not a disaster like they are making it out to be. At least, it doesn't look like it is.

I'll eventually pick it up down the road, and I agree that it doesn't look as exciting as it should be, but jesus they make you depressed as hell.

Also comparing a game to AC3 should be reserved for only the shittiest of games.

FeD.nL

It's a shame really that of the past few Sunset Overdrive thread this one, about a negative preview, has the most replies. Once again showing that negative news fuels discussion thus showing that sites that give these "controversial" previews/reviews/etc. got it right business wise since it generates the most traffic.

In this preview for example again the previewer comments on the game's looks. Seriously I really don't get why in this day and age a (p)reviewer thats supposed to be objective comments on a game style. Because than you want the game to be something it's not. Just give a (p)review a game on what it is instead of coming up with these useless arguments. Ofcourse you can discuss a game's looks on a technical level but discribing a game as hipster is just wrong.

You know the days when we used to get demos for most major releases?

Those were the best days.

The lack of demos, pre or post release, is one of the things that really annoys me these days. Especially considering it would be easier than ever to get a demo out there.

Yeah I whole heartedly agree. The lack of demos nowadays is sad but a lot of games as well can't really provide a short demo as a representation of the entire game. Imagine a Witcher 3 or TLoU demo would that work?

I think I used EGM and Nintendo Power back in the day. Luckily I was a dumb kid and enjoyed most of what I bought. Nowadays, it is so easy to get an impression of a game. Gaming culture as a whole has become spoiled (me included.

I loved Official Playstation magazine UK! Their reviews were nearly always a fair reflection of quality and they took time to highlight the garbage games out there so humorously.

We have become spoiled thanks to the internet but I'd honestly not have it any other way with the more access/info we have.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah I whole heartedly agree. The lack of demos nowadays is sad but a lot of games as well can't really provide a short demo as a representation of the entire game. Imagine a Witcher 3 or TLoU demo would that work?

I loved Official Playstation magazine UK! Their reviews were nearly always a fair reflection of quality and they took time to highlight the garbage games out there so humorously.

We have become spoiled thanks to the internet but I'd honestly not have it any other way with the more access/info we have.

Well most tutorial sections for games would work as a demo. Either that or you just get a segment to play in the same way that the press get to play a 20 minute segment with cutscenes removed.

This is the type of game that would really benefit from something like this. But now that the stakes are higher developers are too scared to do demos as they feel they will lose more sales than they would potentially gain in a lot of cases.

Servbot24

Banned
I hope so because calling this game "hipster" is all kinds of wrong.
It really rubbed me the wrong way...
Also, inFAMOUS is dull now? Ok.

He explained what he meant by this. Detached and ironic.

It's a shame really that of the past few Sunset Overdrive thread this one, about a negative preview, has the most replies. Once again showing that negative news fuels discussion thus showing that sites that give these "controversial" previews/reviews/etc. got it right business wise since it generates the most traffic.

In this preview for example again the previewer comments on the game's looks. Seriously I really don't get why in this day and age a (p)reviewer thats supposed to be objective comments on a game style. Because than you want the game to be something it's not. Just give a (p)review a game on what it is instead of coming up with these useless arguments. Ofcourse you can discuss a game's looks on a technical level but discribing a game as hipster is just wrong.
What? The style is the one thing they actually liked about the game.

Furthermore graphics are a huge part of video games and it would be absurd for reviewers not to comment on them. It would be absurd for reviewers to not express their opinions period. They're people and were never intended to be objective reviewing machines.

Myggen

Absolutely hate these type of reviewers where they are just negative. I don't think he liked the game even before he played it! Waste of time watching this video!

If you don't like a game you don't have to say anything nice about it. "Balance" if you're either very negative or very positive on a game makes for a poor and dishonest review.

Servbot24

Banned
Jesus christ this video makes you want to string yourself up after watching it. So melodramatic.

The weird part is that the stuff they are saying doesn't match whats being shown on screen really.

I lost my hype for SSOD a little while back as I thought it looked fairly mundane in the footage that was released, but its not a disaster like they are making it out to be. At least, it doesn't look like it is.

I'll eventually pick it up down the road, and I agree that it doesn't look as exciting as it should be, but jesus they make you depressed as hell.

Also comparing a game to AC3 should be reserved for only the shittiest of games.

They didn't call it a disaster. They called it mundane and mediocre. Sounds like it's lining up with your expectations to me.

I hardly heard anything melodramatic in the video. They seemed pretty bloody chill to me. Especially compared to all the shitty rage reviewers and Doritos/10 reviews out there.

Also they said it was clearly better than AC3.

Which is something only a hipster would do.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Never understood the hype for this game... other than insomniac making a game for xbox platform.
Evolution of many things seen in Ratchet & Clank in a different theme and the idea that Insomniac got a lot of creative control.

So if you value those two things you can already see people being excited. And the rest is whatever gets people excited about the videos they posted.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
if this is footage of him playing, i can see why he feels its dull. i didnt watch the whole thing, but skipped around a bit, but a huge chunk of the footage seems to be him grinding on a rail, shooting bad guys, then reversing and grinding the opposite way and shooting bad guys, then reversing again and shooting bad guys, over and over and over again. i think if thats how you play this game, yeah, your experience will suck.

I just commented about this in another thread, figured I'd drop it here.

In all the videos I have seen, there seems to be little to no music.

I feel like this could be one of the reasons Sunset Overdrive seems a bit dull and boring? They nailed the art style as almost a spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio, or at least highly influenced by it, but the game is mostly quiet when running around, and the music that does play sounds like some super generic punk rock or something. They needed to go balls out with the soundtrack to match the zany visuals.

A badass soundtrack can go a long way to making a game more fun. I feel like they may have dropped the ball there.

And upon thinking about it, I remembered being annoyed at how subdued and unmemorable most of the Ratchet and Clank soundtracks were.

GHG

Gold Member
if this is footage of him playing, i can see why he feels its dull. i didnt watch the whole thing, but skipped around a bit, but a huge chunk of the footage seems to be him grinding on a rail, shooting bad guys, then reversing and grinding the opposite way and shooting bad guys, then reversing again and shooting bad guys, over and over and over again. i think if thats how you play this game, yeah, your experience will suck.

This is basically what 90% of the gameplay videos of this game amount to though.

And upon thinking about it, I remembered being annoyed at how subdued and unmemorable most of the Ratchet and Clank soundtracks were.

The PS2 R&C soundtracks were high tier m8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzdpC-uhRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go4_grJPFiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIXe5OnQV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBxxd30DzYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRrapLg7Yfo

Also I think someone said the music starts playing as your style meter goes up.

Betty

Banned

I've seen a few streams and this seems to be the way most are playing, I guess he could've simply not reversed as much or bounced more, though it looked like his strategy was pretty effective.

The multiplayer snippet we saw before also had the same grind/reverse/grind strategy.

I knew somebody was going to take my R&C comment and only focus on that. R&C is one of my all time favorite series. There are no doubt a few standout great tracks, but in many of the worlds, they opted for atmospheric background music. The soundtracks were hit or miss.

If you're talking about the PS3 ones then I agree, but most of the PS2 soundtracks focused on more catchy beats/rhythms rather than atmospheric tracks.

As soon as they said "Infamous is boring" all their other critisms basically became irrelevant to me. At least I can now take their opinion with a grain of salt. I actually do wish reviewers and previewers would do that more is compare games to other games then say whether they liked that game or not.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is basically what 90% of the gameplay videos of this game amount to though.

for the most part, i've avoided these "first 2 hour" previews, but that is not at all what previous insomniac demos played like. according to a dev, latter on you literally cannot play like that. it would be like someone demoing doom but playing it as a cover based shooter. or titanfall, but strictly on the ground. i get why these people wouldnt be having much fun, but its also kind of sickening that they are putting such little effort into the game's mechanics. its irresponsible basically.

from a different preview
To put it another way, you just have to be patient with the control setup. Take some time to get used to it. It feels downright daunting at first, this necessity to be constantly grinding rails while shooting the bad guys. You need keen map awareness to keep your momentum going (rails and bounce-tastic platforms are everywhere), and enemy awareness to avoid being swarmed. But once I got the hang of it, the gameplay flow became mesmerizing. Just traveling around Sunset City is a blast as you challenge yourself with acrobatic feats and superhuman parkour abilities.

Servbot24

Banned
As soon as they said "Infamous is boring" all their other critisms basically became irrelevant to me. At least I can now take their opinion with a grain of salt. I actually do wish reviewers and previewers would do that more is compare games to other games then say whether they liked that game or not.

I enjoyed the Infamous games, but let's face it, they're extremely repetitive and treat you like a bit of a gerbil.

That said if SO is really as good as the Infamous games I'll certainly pick it up once its out at a discount price.

If you're talking about the PS3 ones then I agree, but most of the PS2 soundtracks focused on more catchy beats/rhythms rather than atmospheric tracks.

I think it's the PS2 ones as well. I listened to all the ones you posted, and it confirmed what I remember. Meh all around except for the third one, the Gadgettron theme. You didn't even post the best one, the Planet Pokitaru theme ;)

And if you need the combo meter for the music to play, I think that's where they messed up. Had they had a good loud thumping soundtrack throughout, it could have made the experience more enjoyable. The music could have been dynamic and reactive and gotten more intense as you combo'd like a Mizuguchi game (Rez, Lumines)

Ricky_R

As soon as they said "Infamous is boring" all their other critisms basically became irrelevant to me. At least I can now take their opinion with a grain of salt. I actually do with reviewers and previewers would do that more is compare games to other games then say whether they liked that game or not.

Yeah, if SO is anything like I:SS then it should be quite fun. Granted that SS would've benefit from more varied main/side missions and more diverse enemies, but the core gameplay was great.

Not as bad as the Jak series, but yeah ... thinking about it Sly Cooper series music was way more memorable than R&C was. There were some quality songs in the series though like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj3dgToY_Fg

Sly Cooper had a great soundtrack, especially Sly 2 in Paris and all that.

The R&C track you posted was decent. One of the better songs and still not great.

I'm just starting to think Insomniac don't do soundtracks well.

vg260

It sounds like they wanted to like it based on the potential it showed and their past games, but were quite disappointed, hence the reaction. Nothing wrong with that.

ACiT had a great soundtrack.

Claiming it didn't automatically makes your opinion invalid.

My point is that they are hit or miss. And they may have missed big time with Sunset.

In every video, I'm bored watching them just running around the quiet city with little music to speak of. When they first showed the game, I thought for sure they would go balls out Jet Set Radio style. Maybe there are some good tracks, who knows?

Servbot24

Banned
Only a hipster would say this.

But really though, a hipster is just someone who is aloof, purposefully detached for the sake of their image, and relies on irony to appear at a distance or above everything. Beards and flannel don't really have anything to do with it. That's why they used that word.

I feel like people find soundtracks more memorable when they have recurring themes. ACiT's soundtrack was good, but mainly because of those themes. The background music for a lot of the planets I found really dull because they tried so hard with the orchestral ambient/atmospheric tracks it seemed like. For me at least, when I go back to the PS2 games, they don't exactly have a stand out theme, but I have SO many more individual. tracks I like compared to CiT.

The PS2 soundtracks to me are the opposite of blending in. I'm not saying they don't match their environment, but the vast majority of them go for a catchy melody, and even if someone doesn't like them, its hard for me to understand how someone could say most of them in and don't stand out from the background.

In every video, I'm bored watching them just running around the quiet city with little music to speak of. When they first showed the game, I thought for sure they would go balls out Jet Set Radio style. Maybe there are some good tracks, who knows?
They should have gotten Hideki Naganuma to make the music for this game since he did Ollie King, Sonic Rush, and the Jet Set Radio series.

ypo

It's almost like they took the most boring part of the Rachet and Clank games and made a entire game out of it while adding in auto jump/bouncing.

JaggedSac

But really though, a hipster is just someone who is aloof, purposefully detached for the sake of their image, and relies on irony to appear at a distance or above everything. Beards and flannel don't really have anything to do with it. That's why they used that word.

How does one use irony to appear at a distance or above everything? Genuinely curious. I've heard people say some shirts are ironic, but I often fail to see irony in it.

Hell yeah they should have. But then they would have been accused of outright copying JSR.
I honestly really would not care. Sega has buried any franchise not Sonic. The Crazy Taxi mobile game is proof of that.
I guess I am defending Sunset Overdrive so much is because it is different than say Evolve or Unity or Gears of War. Plus most previews have been positive. It is cool to have a game so different than the normal big budget games. Insomniac and Sucker Punch are good developers and I like them.

Top Bottom