• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

Lucent

because they can. obviously.

I'm so excited for reviews and for everyone to start playing next week.

Also to start playing Chaos Squad with folks tomorrow!

I'm excited to finally play this. Hopefully I love it so much I'll want the DLC. Really hoping for open world free-roaming in co-op eventually. Doesn't have to be 8 players. 2-4 would be fine.

Skux

I can understand the "hipster" label, even if it's a bit misguided. There's a "we're way cooler than those boring brown dudebro shooters" smugness about the game's tone, especially in the marketing.

abadguy

Banned
I can understand the "hipster" label, even if it's a bit misguided. There's a "we're way cooler than those boring brown dudebro shooters" smugness about the game's tone, especially in the marketing.

More like the tone of the game isn't taking itself super seriously like many games do these days. Funny how people miss that point.

You're telling me that colour overload, attack on the senses, oh shit a rainbow just exploded on the screen, beautifully vibrant and wonderfully brilliant Sunset Overdrive is dull. That's like saying Halo isn't a good game because the shooting mechanics could use some work. I know I'm probably jumping the gun here since no reviews have actually hit yet and barely anyone outside the games press have even tried the game but this criticism just strikes me as a shockingly unlikely and incorrect comment to make.

I'll await solid reviews from reputable sources. Hope that Sunset Overdrive smashes it. Beautiful concept for what will hopefully be a wonderful game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You're telling me that colour overload, attack on the senses, oh shit a rainbow just exploded on the screen, beautifully vibrant and wonderfully brilliant Sunset Overdrive is dull. That's like saying Halo isn't a good game because the shooting mechanics could use some work. I know I'm probably jumping the gun here since no reviews have actually hit yet and barely anyone outside the games press have even tried the game but this criticism just strikes me as a shockingly unlikely and incorrect comment to make.

I'll await solid reviews from reputable sources. Hope that Sunset Overdrive smashes it. Beautiful concept for what will hopefully be a wonderful game.

Again, the 'dull' label had absolutely nothing to do with the game's visual presentation.

keit4

Banned
Ah, okay. Yeah, I'd agree they aren't consistent when it comes to soundtracks.

ITN wasn't great...

That's not the worst of it.

Rumour has it that MS are in salvage mode with this project. Focus testing, now backed up by early reviews is painting a very negative picture of the game. Claims of repetitive, dull, lacking in polish, lacking in appeal, inconsistent, lacks direction are often heard in hushed tones when Sunset Overdrive is mentioned.

MS have distanced themselves completely from Insomniac, their only interest now is to try and recoup the money they invested into development as well as money for their contractual obligation to market the game.

It's not all one sided, Insomniac are apparently very distraught of having backed the wrong horse with the Xbox One. They were hoping for a five million seller, but with the Xbox One install base in dire straits and the market's complete rejection of the Xbox brand, well, you get the picture.

That's why Insomniac allowed Sony to use the font for their recent sale. It was a reconciliatory measure to get back in Sony's good graces, so they'd allow them to make more games after the Ratchet and Clank reboot.

It's pretty much a disaster from any perspective. Insomniac weeping, MS ruing, critical backlash, market on course to reject the IP.

It's perhaps the biggest disaster we'll see in gaming, rivalling that of ET. There will be documentaries about this game for years to come...

Agree.

Again, the 'dull' label had absolutely nothing to do with the game's visual presentation.

Ah right so they're referring to the general gameplay and game mechanics then? I suppose that could be a valid criticism but until I see it echoed in real reviews from respected and reputable sources I'm not giving any value to this preview.

I guess I was just hoping the game would be a critical smash. Of all the releases this year I so wanted this particular one to succeed.

foxbeldin

I know someone who has a review copy of the game, we were talking about the font debacle and he just said :

"Before trolling Sony they should release a real game"
"You wanna be very confident when trolling because next monday the troll might reverse on you."

He won't say more because of the embargo, but yeah...

I know someone who has a review copy of the game, we were talking about the font debacle and he just said :

"You wanna be very confident when trolling because next monday the troll might reverse on you."

Fuck sake you would think Sony had their feelings hurt or something

Oh god. That's really not a good sign. Insomniac of all developers should have the caliber to produce a well-reviewed hit. I expected the game to review extremely well but then again I along with everyone else on the planet confidently assumed the same thing about Destiny so...

After reading this thread I went from expecting 8s and 9s to maybe 5s and 6s.

elfinke

Hmmm, they've given voice to the same thoughts I've had whenever I watch something about SO. I figured I was just missing something about SO, which is easy to do as I've not really kept up with it at all (or any new game, for that matter - not my cuppa tea these days). These guys make R&C, my favourite platformer of all time by some way, so I've given them plenty of benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, I'll be interested to watch the OT unfurl, and the reviews roll out.

keit4

Banned

Not a problem, since Driveclub even a 70 score at metacritic is acceptable.

Kssio_Aug

Im pretty confident, besides this preview. The same guys made a preview before being very positive I dont get why their opinion changed that much.

But, while they say that this game is dull they compare it to inFamous, and inFamous is, imo, not dull at all. Also their negative criticism does not match their gameplay... They say the shooting is boring and stuff like this, but then I see enemies exploding, a cool robot dog eletrfying mutants, etc.

And I dont think the rail grind seems bad at all. Actually it seems theyve done it pretty damn right. While they criticise the game in this aspect I see the guy moving along one area to another jumping between buildings and rail grinding, that feels like really fluid.

Their criticism indeed feels almoat satirical.

My English is lacking and I am in dire need of sleep, so humor me...Who is the troll here? Did some Sony person throw a jab at Insomniac or was it the other way around? I must have missed that episode...

foxbeldin

Not a problem, since Driveclub even a 70 score at metacritic is acceptable.

Well it's just one opinion, but i feel this game is gonna score either really good or really bad.

For transparency purpose :
-i think it looks great (because JSR vibes) but don't own an x1
-This particular reviewer gave FH2 17/20, DC 15/20, Destiny 15/20 for example.

My English is lacking and I am in dire need of sleep, so humor me...Who is the troll here? Did some Sony person throw a jab at Insomniac or was it the other way around? I must have missed that episode...

Insomniac tweeted something "funny" to Sony about their use of the SO font.

tuna_love

Banned

Your friend sounds pretty cool. Did he get upset about the font?

Kssio_Aug

LOL what?

Is your friend a reviewer? What was that "troll" about? The font thing? That doesnt make sense.

foxbeldin

LOL what?

Is your friend a reviewer? What was that "troll" about? The font thing? That doesnt make sense.

Yes.
I don't think it was a troll, more like a joke, but his words not mine.
The font from a PSN add that is the SO font, Insomniac made a joke about it.
Sorry, i'm just translating.

I tried to warn y'all, but you thought I was joking...

I mean really, did no one find the lack of MS hype, both in selling to the community and via tweets just a little bit strange?

MS knows a real game when they see one and this one sadly isn't real.

Not even close.

Kssio_Aug

Yes.

Yup no problem I got it.

But that really wasnt a troll... I mean, the Sony guys could use an infinity ammount of fonts but they've chosen exactly the one of Sunset Overdrive.

Well, I guess it means some reviewers may use their fanboy bias strongly against this game then. Thats embarassing.

Yup no problem I got it.

But that really wasnt a troll... I mean, the Sony guys could use an infinity ammount of fonts but they've chosen exactly the one of Sunset Overdrive.

Well, I guess it means some reviewers may use their fanboy bias strongly against this game then. Thats embarassing.

You're focusing on the wrong thing. His mate confirmed what many people feared, it's not a real game.

That should worry everyone.

Guerrilla

You're focusing on the wrong thing. His mate confirmed what many people feared, it's not a real game.

That should worry everyone.

picgifs-inception-1763259.jpg

Also while looking for early SO previews/impressions I found this:

So it’s an open secret that a few of the team are currently jamming Sunset Overdrive to ensure we give you lovely girls and boys a full review in time for release. It is also no surprise that we are totally locked under embargo and can‘t really say anything yet.

So imagine my annoyance when I saw a video today from videogamer.com that goes against virtually everything our embargo states. Now I’m not sure if they have a different NDA to us or they have simply found a legal loophole. Unfortunately our lawyers are currently occupied with an infantile case so I can’t ask them but I can’t resist giving my opinion on the videogamer preview.

http://www.lazygamer.net/video/sunset-overdrive-pre-embargo-early-preview/

So apparently the very existence of these negative impressions is even going against the NDA/embargo. Interesting.

foxbeldin

Okay, i think a few things need clarification. First of all, i'm french and so is the guy, so :

Troll/Trolling here is (mis)used all the time. You can't make a joke about gaming stuff without having someone say you're trolling. It's sad, but it's like that. This reviewer was answering to someone who said he didn't like the way Insomniac "trolled" Sony. It was just his way to give away his first impressions without breaking the embargo.

Not real/Fake is sometimes attached to something to mean bad. I think that's what he meant. Of course it's a real game.

I posted the review scores he gave to FH2 and DC to explain the guy doesn't seem to have a bias, but i guess it's unacceptable that someone doesn't like the game without having one.

Miles, we know you're joking :)

Alx

Yes.

Any link to it please ? I can't find it on their Twitter page (I'm really bad at using Twitter).

Slowdive

Banned
Also while looking for early SO previews/impressions I found this:

http://www.lazygamer.net/video/sunset-overdrive-pre-embargo-early-preview/

So apparently the very existence of these negative impressions is even going against the NDA/embargo. Interesting.

Surely if it went against embargo it would've been taken down by now? They were talking about it openly on their podcast too. They just couldn't talk about anything after the first two hours. Every streamer I've seen was giving impressions as well.

Top Bottom