• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

Videoneon

That was my original thought before everyone told me that I was being spoken to. I have to replay that part.

I've since signed on to those sort of ideas: either exactly what PurpleMaster said or ? is a general reference to the player consciousness.

1. Anybody get the feeling that Kyle Klim could be the antagonist in zero escape 3? Just a hunch... I have a feeling parenting issues have negatively affected him (Dr. Klim, Akane) so sending him back in time might not be a good idea.

2. Did anyone think it odd that Quark talked about "freeing his soul" during his suicide attempt? Is he a free the soul follower? Could he be a clone of Left? Or something else?​

3. Not speculating, but I hope they do something to resolve Clover and especially Alice's situation. It sucks for Alice about not being able to avenge her dad, and then for the both of them living in the worst possible outcome (at least for them).​

4. I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet; for those of you who played the 3DS version, did you notice how the view differs between the two screens in escape sections? In the bottom screen it appears as though we are viewing the puzzle through the lens of a camera (I notice the word "Zoom" on the top right portion of the screen) but on the top it is clear. I'm thinking 999 plot twist redux - I take it the bottom screen represents Sigmas viewpoint - he does have that robotic eye and all - but who's viewpoint are we looking at on the top screen? Could the top view represent the "person" we will be playing in zero escape 3?​

Can't help you with the list feature...=(. Here are my thoughts:

1. Well, the only thing we know of that suggests that Kyle may be a volatile person is how awful he was to "Luna" (the robot who Zero created to act as a mother figure for Kyle, who may indeed be our Luna). Still, I suppose it's possible. We know that if Kyle participates in the Nevada Game in any way, he won't be inhabiting Sigma's body--his consciousness will assume some other, probably not immediately recognizable of avatar. Do find it weird that Kyle would act in such an extreme way and for little apparent reason, when the idea of morality seems to be so important in this series, but who knows, Tenmyoji was saying that as it stands Radical6 spread in spite of Sigma's efforts, suggesting Sigma may not understand what he's doing wrong that could even contribute to the outbreak.

2. Others have alleged that Quark is a clone of Left. People have compared his looks to Dio, I think it's superficial but I won't deny that the author could be giving a hint. It does make some sense...when driven to suicidal impulses, Alice never said anything about freeing the soul or whatever, she just said she has to die and so does everyone else (they get so lame when they're infected...) The question becomes why he would be abandoned by Free the Soul? You wouldn't expect a baby to show resistance to ideas, but you also wouldn't expect Quark to retain any of their teachings as a baby anyway. Would Quark have to be an esper too? Could Quark be a plan on behalf of Brother, who is reportedly an immensely powerful esper?

3. Poor Clover only wants to hang out with her bro Snake. That's all she needs to be happy in life it seems. Alice...after reading Noi's comment, I could see resolving Alice's return. Not directly as a participant, but Uchikoshi so far seems to try to make endings as happy as possible all things considered. Almost everyone in the game lives, the bad guy gets caught, some hope for the future. He would probably want to devote a little bit to giving Alice some closure. She will be fulfilled if she can bring the Myrmidons to justice for taking her dad, but she also wants to lead a life too

4. Well, what you would be suggesting seems to imply that one body can host two consciousnesses. Unless I'm missing something I can't sign on to that one.

Feep

Banned
If the Radical 6 virus was man-made to those specifications, it wouldn't make sense to do so for a MARS mission...Mars' gravity would not correspond to the 1 over root 6 stuff. o_O

My only complaint the whole game was Clover. More or less her facial animation. I didn't like how she only smiled. Even in sad scenes.

But wow what a ride! Let me post the time I spent with this game.
Play Time - 46:48(4th in play time)
Times Played - 8
Average Play Time - 5:51 (Should be more for the fact it dripped when I double checked to see if I was done. Should be I think 6 something.)

Got it Saturday and finished an hour ago.

Can't wait to see what happens next!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
If the Radical 6 virus was man-made to those specifications, it wouldn't make sense to do so for a MARS mission...Mars' gravity would not correspond to the 1 over root 6 stuff. o_O

I have a feeling that Akane is actually 'Brother', and that the name 'Brother' is a red herring to make us all assume the leader of free the souls is a male. In that case, Akane would have been the one to design the virus, and it would make sense for the virus to be engineered to those specifications since she is the one who is going to hold the games on the moon as well. This will imply that the reason for the nonary games in the future would have been a ruse to fulfill some even greater purpose in the great scheme of things.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
My only complaint the whole game was Clover. More or less her facial animation. I didn't like how she only smiled. Even in sad scenes.

But wow what a ride! Let me post the time I spent with this game.
Play Time - 46:48(4th in play time)
Times Played - 8
Average Play Time - 5:51 (Should be more for the fact it dripped when I double checked to see if I was done. Should be I think 6 something.)

Got it Saturday and finished an hour ago.

Can't wait to see what happens next!

Did you replay a lot of scenarios? I got my platinum in 30 hours or so, and I didn't use a faq. 47 hours seems a stretch.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did you replay a lot of scenarios? I got my platinum in 30 hours or so, and I didn't use a faq. 47 hours seems a stretch.

I took longer because I didn't know there was a skip function (found out after getting 4 endings).

I think some took longer because of not using the skip function or rereading the messages even if they're the same.

I got stuck on some puzzles. When I say stuck I mean 2 or so hours stuck.

Edit:Also save says 44 hours so 2 of those hours were in sleep mode.

I noticed that the Another Time part isn't voiced in Jap.
Good job going through the trouble of voicing it! :D

So, is Kyle's (K) voice the same guy who voiced Sigma in the promo anime?

Necrovex

Futility and Morgan Robertson are a real thing, btw. He also wrote a book describing an attack from the Japanese on Americans prior to Pearl Harbor. Coincidence maybe? Probably.

My mind is blown this is a legitimate novel. I always thought the game created Futility for its plot. But, it's real!? And it does have a lot of similarities to the Titanic. Oh my god, this game. THIS FUCKING GAME!

LiK

I agree about Clover's facial animations. She's always smiling or doing a cute pose even when it was during a tragedy or crysis. It was weird. I feel like they should've put some more animations for her. At least don't make her look so coy all the time. Kinda weird. I also thought she was the weakest English voice cast member.

I also didn't like that Alice's appearance at end of 999 was retconned. Guess she likes dressing up an an Egyptian queen or something. Speaking of which, her outfit in VLR was really bizarre. The exposed breasts made no sense especially when she was shown wearing a normal business outfit in a flashback. I guess she likes to dress kinky for missions? Funny that no one pointed out her outfit at all either.

Hate to be complaining about that but it bugged me when I was playing. Even Lotus' outift was questioned in 999, iirc. Anyway, gonna get into the story stuff later.

Busaiku

You know, it's terrible that after Lagomorph comes back he has no personality.
He's an AI, he should've had some sort of conversation!

Venfayth

Someone asked in the main thread, but what the hell was up with Clover's ending? I completely forgot about it until just now. Was it just the rad6 getting out of control?

edit: Also, why during the leftmost path was Sigma suddenly aware that his brain was processing things more slowly? There's that point during the Security Room when he has to lie down because everything starts going extremely fast. Is there ever an explanation for what triggered that episode?

LiK

Someone asked in the main thread, but what the hell was up with Clover's ending? I completely forgot about it until just now. Was it just the rad6 getting out of control?

edit: Also, why during the leftmost path was Sigma suddenly aware that his brain was processing things more slowly? There's that point during the Security Room when he has to lie down because everything starts going extremely fast. Is there ever an explanation for what triggered that episode?

I think that Rad6 episode was just showing what the effect was like and foreshadowing that Sigma was infected as well. It was pretty freaky when we didn't know the symptoms so when they explained it later, we knew what it was like.

So I'm still a little confused about the plot, but I haven't done the additional route you got from getting all the hard files (I will do so after class).

1. Who the hell is the Zero that kidnapped Sigma in 2027? It can't be Sigma himself, since he only projects his consciousness. I figure it is either Phi (and then she froze herself), Junpei, or Akane.

2. So Zero kidnaps Sigma in 2027, but Sigma somehow unlocks his potential he never knew about and switches consciousness with a Sigma 45 years in the future? I'm guessing OldSigma may have projected to whoever the Zero was in the past so that YoungSigma would unlock his potential and project?

3. OldSigma is now in 2027, he plans to use his new knowledge to save mankind? He needed YoungSigma in the future in order to put himself in the past so he set up a somewhat time loop?

Do all the routes. I thought the explanations were pretty clear.

Ok so the "you did all the hard files" bonus thing is actually pretty extensive? I'll play it and then come back if I still have any questions.\

edit: Being able to enter this thread is like being able to sit at the adults table for the first time in your life.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I'm still a little confused about the plot, but I haven't done the additional route you got from getting all the hard files (I will do so after class).

1. Who the hell is the Zero that kidnapped Sigma in 2027? It can't be Sigma himself, since he only projects his consciousness. I figure it is either Phi (and then she froze herself), Junpei, or Akane.

2. So Zero kidnaps Sigma in 2027, but Sigma somehow unlocks his potential he never knew about and switches consciousness with a Sigma 45 years in the future? I'm guessing OldSigma may have projected to whoever the Zero was in the past so that YoungSigma would unlock his potential and project?

3. OldSigma is now in 2027, he plans to use his new knowledge to save mankind? He needed YoungSigma in the future in order to put himself in the past so he set up a somewhat time loop?

It's likely Akane.

Midou

I... I'm confused. Who did Kyle switch places with?!

You. The super dimensional being you.

I'm totally calling it.

Because [ever17 spoiler]:
The writer tends to re-use ideas between ever17, 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, so that makes the most amount of sense

Eusis

It's likely Akane.
Well, I imagine Santa's a possibility too, but in either case I wonder if there even WAS kidnapping, or if he simply got knocked out to 1. create the impression he was kidnapped for the Nonary game, and 2. to give an opportunity for either Old Sigma or Kyle to take over his body.
I... I'm confused. Who did Kyle switch places with?!
You, it appears. Unless you mean where his consciousness went, then into the past.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if Alice and Clover can be sent to the past physically, maybe they'll do the same with Kyle? And you're just kind of joyriding in his body until then?

It won't be revealed until the third game.

With YOU!

My mind is full of fuck.

Anyway question time: Why did Luna think Sigma was a robot? Or did she have to pretend to for the sake of the plan? Why does she fuck over Sigma in one ending by leaving the building with Quark? Is it to force him to jump to another time?

And lastly, is this correct?

Future Sigma and Akane talk, come up with a plan. Akane "kidnaps" Young Sigma and Young Sigma trades places with Old Sigma. Old Sigma becomes famous geneticist and makes Kyle, Luna, Lagomorph. Sets up the AB game to build up powers of Phi and Young Sigma? Young Sigma succeeds, and then switches places with Old Sigma. Of course he tried to infiltrate the test site and fails.... so now its up to Kyle in the third game?

LiK

It won't be revealed until the third game.

so I guess we'll see more of these characters? very cool.

btw, I love Luna. I'm like Sigma, I don't care if she's a robot. the English VO made her so sweet.

edit: oh shit, it's Laura Bailey. love her

Necrovex

My mind is full of fuck.

It's to be expected. My mind is constantly being fucked with regarding this game and thread.

so I guess we'll see more of these characters? very cool.

btw, I love Luna. I'm like Sigma, I don't care if she's a robot. the English VO made her so sweet.

My first impressions of her was poor. Now, she is one of my favorite characters from the game. <3 Luna.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My mind is full of fuck.

Anyway question time: Why did Luna think Sigma was a robot? Or did she have to pretend to for the sake of the plan? Why does she fuck over Sigma in one ending by leaving the building with Quark? Is it to force him to jump to another time?

Luna knew the truth the entire time. She was totally tricking you, man... I assume to throw suspicions off of herself.

Eusis

As much as it's funny to joke about her trolling Sigma, it's most likely playing dumb to go with the plan, and being deliberately naive on the possibility they may just be robotic arms (which I think anyone else would've brought up as a possibility upon seeing that). Though maybe she actually wanted to see how he'd act if he THOUGHT he was a robot, she appears to have issues over young Kyle's treatment of her, and may want to be seen as an equal and accepted, as well as just how Sigma would act if he thought he really might be a robot. Assuming she is the "mother" made for Kyle of course, but there's no evidence of another GAULEM around anyway that'd fit the description and it'd be anticlimactic if she was made just for the game or whatever.

The last unlocked routes are called: Beginning Or End, and Another Time right? With Another Time being the whole "Kyle's gonna be in the third game!" business right?

LiK

the meeting between Junpei and Akane was really sad. wasn't what i expected. i'm glad they acknowledged it by having Junpei point out that he no longer has feelings for this Akane.

Lusankya

And lastly, is this correct?

Future Sigma and Akane talk, come up with a plan. Akane "kidnaps" Young Sigma and Young Sigma trades places with Old Sigma. Old Sigma becomes famous geneticist and makes Kyle, Luna, Lagomorph. Sets up the AB game to build up powers of Phi and Young Sigma? Young Sigma succeeds, and then switches places with Old Sigma. Of course he tried to infiltrate the test site and fails.... so now its up to Kyle in the third game?

No, Sigma will be in the test site during the third game again. It'll be the consciousness of the Sigma we know from VLR but after he naturally got 45 years older in the body of young Sigma with cyborg arms and one eye.

When you talk with young Akane during "Beginning Or End", it already happened that old Sigma was in young Sigma's body during the experiment, but he still failed. So in Zero Escape 3 there will be again an old Sigma in young Sigma's body, but this time he will be much more "powerful" and will have even more knowledge.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
No, Sigma will be in the test site during the third game again. It'll be the consciousness of the Sigma we know from VLR but after he naturally got 45 years older in the body of young Sigma with cyborg arms and one eye.

When you talk with young Akane during "Beginning Or End", it already happened that old Sigma was in young Sigma's body during the experiment, but he still failed.

The cyborg arms and loss of an eye were the result of failing to stop the virus in the Mars test facility in other timelines.

Lusankya

The cyborg arms and loss of an eye were the result of failing to stop the virus in the Mars test facility in other timelines.

Yes, exactly. It was Zero Senior/old Sigma in the body of young Sigma who failed.
Then when Akane attacks Phi with the knife Zero Senior's consciousness switches places with the Sigma we controlled during VLR.

Yes, exactly. It was Zero Senior/old Sigma in the body of young Sigma who failed.
Then when Akane attacks Phi with the knife Zero Senior's consciousness switches places with the Sigma we controlled during VLR.

Ah ok. So young sigma is back in his own time, but armed with precious knowledge. He is gonna meet up with Kyle and Phi and successfully stop the Test Site fiasco?

LiK

anyone expecting a sequel to this game? i'm kinda expecting that the ending was meant to be open so that we can assume they will save humanity and create a different timeline.

but i guess the tease that Alice and Clover can physically go back in time really keeps it open for a direct sequel again. hell, Clover seems to be the most popular character in Japan at least so I assume we'll see more of her.

Lusankya

How can he have robot arms and a missing eye at the start of the test site mission when he lost them over the course of the test site mission?
It's after the test site mission.

Also if Sigma will be at the test site, why is Kyle there? Kyle, Sigma, and Phi will all be at the test site?
Kyle will "infiltrate" the mission (in the body of "?", the player) to help us out. Sigma and Phi will be real participants. So yes, all three will be there.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
anyone expecting a sequel to this game? i'm kinda expecting that the ending was meant to be open so that we can assume they will save humanity and create a different timeline.

but i guess the tease that Alice and Clover can physically go back in time really keeps it open for a direct sequel again. hell, Clover seems to be the most popular character in Japan at least so I assume we'll see more of her.

Uchikoshi discussed a while ago about doing a sequel to VLR :)

http://andriasang.com/con04b/good_people_die_sequel/

He also mentions about Vol 3 in the Nintendo Power interview from last month I believe~ (Among other things)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gaddamn, i wonder what he can do. not sure how they can bring back another Nonary game but he's a genius so i'll let him figure it out. XD

wish i could watch him and his crew work on the game.

Considering the test facility has deadly traps... well, it might be even more gruesome than a lot of 999 was.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
gaddamn, i wonder what he can do. not sure how they can bring back another Nonary game but he's a genius so i'll let him figure it out. XD

wish i could watch him and his crew work on the game.

Well, the ending of VLR was one giant cliffhanger/lead in for the 3rd game, so it'll be a continuation of trying to save the world/future from its grim fate :x

LiK

Considering the test facility has deadly traps... well, it might be even more gruesome than a lot of 999 was.

yea, VLR was kinda tame compared to 999. no explosions and the 3D blood was nothing. 999 freaked me out much more than VLR.

Well, the ending of VLR was one giant cliffhanger/lead in for the 3rd game, so it'll be a continuation of trying to save the world/future from its grim fate :x

i was hoping they would leave it open but that's what i was expecting as well.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
yea, VLR was kinda tame compared to 999. no explosions and the 3D blood was nothing. 999 freaked me out much more than VLR.

i was hoping they would leave it open but that's what i was expecting as well.

That would be pretty cruel if they just ended things at VLR @_@

*Neeeeeeeeds more*

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
i would like them to go to a timeline where we see Junpei and Akane happily together. Just for kicks. ;_;

That's my main wish for the end of Vol 3 haha :)

Also, I'm guessing things may be pretty horrific/brutal in the Mars Test Site, since Brother and Free The Soul will be involved in actively trying to stop everyone from stopping them from releasing Radical-6 into the populace @_@

So much amazing potential for Vol 3 to show :3 Can't wait!

Lusankya

Ah ok. So young sigma is back in his own time, but armed with precious knowledge. He is gonna meet up with Kyle and Phi and successfully stop the Test Site fiasco?

To make it easier to explain I call the Sigma we controlled during VLR "PC Sigma" (Player Character Sigma) and the second, old Sigma "Zero Sigma". I do this, because in the end PC Sigma will get old as well.

Zero Sigma (re)creates the AB game and at the start he is in the cabin with Phi. Zero Sigma switches places with PC Sigma and the game starts.
So when the AB game starts we have PC Sigma in Zero Sigma's body in 2074 and Zero Sigma in PC Sigma's body in 2028.

During the course of VLR PC Sigma plays the AB game to get his "powers" and to gain knowledge etc. at the same time Zero Sigma tries to prevent the outbreak in the mars mission test site.

In Phi's Ending Akane pretend to stab Phi to help Sigma body swapping. This means that Zero Sigma goes back into his own body in 2074 while PC Sigma also goes back into his own body right after the mars mission test site was still a failure.

Now the future plan is that PC Sigma will do exactly the same as ZERO Sigma before, researching, inventing, recreating the AB game and at the start of the AB game in 2074 PC Sigma (who is now really 67 years old) will switch places with a young Sigma (I call him new Sigma) in 2028. New Sigma will also play the AB game etc. but more importantly we will have PC Sigma with all that knowledge and power in 2028 to try to prevent the outbreak again. If he fails, then New Sigma will take his role and the game continues.
But if he manages to prevent the outbreak then they'll create a new timeline, in which the earth isn't doomed.

I hope this is understandable (I am not a native speaker) and I have my facts completely right.

Edit: Also Kyle (in someone's body) and Phi will help PC Sigma during that mission and at least Phi will also profit from increased knowledge and power. Kyle's role is still some kind of a mystery.

LiK

That's my main wish for the end of Vol 3 haha :)

Also, I'm guessing things may be pretty horrific/brutal in the Mars Test Site, since Brother and Free The Soul will be involved in actively trying to stop everyone from stopping them from releasing Radical-6 into the populace @_@

So much amazing potential for Vol 3 to show :3 Can't wait!

it'll be insane since the characters already know about jumping timelines. the flowchart would be pretty epic in the next game.

also, i need to know who Phi is, dammit. I KNOW YOU KNOW, BO!

Venfayth

I think Luna asks you if you're a machine because she is investigating the difference between herself and you. Your trust in her confounds her and leads her to question her existence as a machine.

My rather far-fetched guess, anyway.

it'll be insane since the characters already know about jumping timelines. the flowchart would be pretty epic in the next game.

also, i need to know who Phi is, dammit. I KNOW YOU KNOW, BO!

She knows everything, man!

Top Bottom