• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral defends barebones Dead Space 3 PC port "We don't want it to feel different"

patapuf

Because like everything EA makes they're only in it for a quick and easy buck. As long as they get that 30% they were originally giving Valve.

To be fair, EA's online platform is a fairly long term thing. Origin is just the latest of many rebrandings and judging by the mindshare it's gotten by now, it's also the first time the EA DD store is somewhat relevant.

Of course the only reason it is, is because Battlefield is one of the biggest PC franchises around and DICE is probably the only big studio EA didn't completely mismanage.

"We don't can't charge pc owners for DLC so why bother going all out?"

Because platform fanboys can't handle their favorite console having an inferior version. It's sad but it is true.

fitting avatar, thats some #2 logic right there.
i'm a "console fanboy" and i can assure you, PC versions may as well not exist, i don't keep up with what a port does or does not contain.

leng jai

Dead Space 2 ran, looked and played like a dream on PC so as long as the third is up to that standard it's fine. He does say some pretty stupid things in the OP though.

DS 1 and DS 2 ran supremely well on PC, and looked great. I'm personally down for more of that. I'll take optimization over lots of options, any day.

dead space 1 pc port was horrible, EA not caring about the pc community is nothing new. Surprised they even care about the PC sku

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
His reasoning is stupid (the PC version is already better; there's no reason to artificially gimp it in the name of equality), but people shouldn't be whining about the PC port being "barebones" in the first place. PC gamers aren't magically entitled to additional features just because they paid a shitload for their rigs. They get the same game as the console with higher resolution and better frame rates. If they're personally insulted that Visceral didn't make a special version of the game for the PC, they are free to have a tantrum and/or boycott it.

I say this as someone who has been doing most of his gaming on PC for the last 6 months.

"At our studio, we've always made console games," he pointed out. "The biggest thing is we want to make sure the quality of the experience is consistent across all platforms so we don't have one userbase saying it's better on their system."

But...but I thought gamers CARE about this. Isn't this the reason why there's much penis-flinging about how awesome X console's hardware is over Y?

If I wanted a console game I would buy one for my game console. Give my me mouse and keyboard, high res graphics and million plus tweak options, dammit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I could understand this argument for the lighting or maybe even the FOV but it wouldn't hurt anybody to offer an HD texture pack. The art work should already be done.

kvothe

Why? Why not take advantage of the best each platform has to offer?

If review websites indicate that a version of the game for one platform is better than the version for the platform they own, it may discourage them from buying the game. They don't want to have to compete with themselves and thus make one version of their game look worse by comparison. I know it must be frustrating for PC enthusiasts, but in terms of marketing it isn't the stupidest thing someone could do.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But...but I thought gamers CARE about this. Isn't this the reason why there's much penis-flinging about how awesome X console's hardware is over Y?

There isn't anymore because it doesn't matter anymore. It's just shit PR people say to give you a reason to pick console X over Y if you don't have deep knowledge of the products. People around here surely care, but the broader audience mostly doesn't care and doesn't scrutinize the differences between console's graphics.

Maztorre

So when Battlefield 3 was switched mid-development to primarily a console game, they defended the PC version with all the additional capability offered by PC (graphics options, playercount, etc). But when another studio of theirs makes a barebones port, they don't want to add anything to the PC experience (despite how trivially even a midrange PC runs the Dead Space series) out of some high-minded concern for parity between consoles and PC.

Pick one EA, or just admit that you haven't a clue what you're doing from game to game on PC.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were completely vanilla ports as well, why this surprises anyone is a mystery to me.

I don't think anyone is surprised. I just find it amusing that EA went to the trouble of relaunching their service (and sacrificed thousands of sales and goodwill from their Steam customers to do it) but apply no consistency to their own PC releases in terms of features. One would think these premier games they use to draw people into the service should be treated with more care.

They talked a big game about their service, but they clearly don't even care that Battlefield has something as obvious as controller support while another Origin exclusive of theirs (mass effect 3), a game built for controller, has none.

Then why put the effort into a service like Origin at all?

The usual EA reason: desperately trying to brute-force spend themselves into a currently successful market (Digital Distribution services) with no understanding of it. See also: acquisition of Playfish (chasing Facebook market), acquisition of PopCap (chasing casual PC market), impending switch to freemium (chasing F2P market).

sp3000

Time to wait until this game drops to $5 on amazon. Which judging by the quality, shouldn't be long at all.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I take it that there's going to be zero support for 3D vision as well.

Foffy

Banned
What utter trash. This guy sounds like the people who made the horrid Dark Souls PC port.

At least From Soft was more honest in outright admitting they have very little experience on PC, and it's a true statement. This guy is defending a legit lazy move.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't really have any issues with anything he said here.

Yeah, it's not like the PC port is a lesser game and the series UI doesn't strike me as particularily unfriendly to m/kb, unlike, say, Borderlands.

Fuckin LOL

I can't believe this is a real statement.

Hey, lets not optimize our shit and take advantage of more powerful hardware.

If it didn't take advantage of more powerful hardware the PC ports wouldn't run much better than the console ports at higher resolutions with AA.

There's a difference between an unoptimized piece of shit port and the Dead Space series.

I'm guessing by "barebones" they simply mean that Dead Space 3's PC version would be on par with the ports of Dead Space 1 and 2. Which is pretty much fine. Better texture quality and image quality adjustments would be appreciated but so long as it controls fine on mouse/keyboard then I'm fine.

What seems kind of disingenuous in that interview is how he's stating they want feature parity across all platforms, that everyone gets the same experience and yet the launch trailer ends with "BETTER WITH KINECT!"

DTKT

I mean, they should outright say that they don't believe that the game won't sell enough copies to warrant the extra time spend into using DX11 or any other features unique to the PC.

ngff02

As long as it has good 360 controller support and 1080p, I'll be fine. I really wish these "barebones" ports included a fov slider though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They are saying it's going to be a barebones port. What's that famous "amount of effort that goes into it" that they should be credited for? Releasing a PC version at all?

Do devs really believe THEY are doing us a favor, and we should be grateful, no matter how much shit they deliver us? (not saying this game is shit.) Do they forget WE are the ones giving them the money to buy the product they are selling us?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How many of you posting have said: "Oh man, I wish [X] was on PC, even if it was just higher res and 60 fps"

I know I have.

Goddammit. I just bought DS1. Is the PC port that bad?

No, just the in game vsync, which is balls, but using an external program to force triple buffered vsync fixes the problem.

sp3000

How many of you posting have said: "Oh man, I wish [X] was on PC, even if it was just higher res and 60 fps"

I know I have.

The difference is those games are actually good.

All we have here is another dumbed down, shootbang third person coop shooter.

I totally haven't seen one of those before.

CTLance

"The biggest thing is we want to make sure the quality of the experience is consistent across all platforms so we don't have one userbase saying it's better on their system"
"We continue to evolve our games as we develop them, but we certainly don't target PC as something that's going to be significantly different."
but then again
"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different"

My brain hurts. I understand what he's trying to say, I guess, but that's gotta be a critical fumble on the diplomacy check.

RedSwirl

I don't see why people are surprised at this. Visceral is a console developer making console games that just happen to have PC versions.

I haven't played Dead Space 2 on PC but the first one ran very well, the only problem being how vsync locked it to 30 frames per second. Did they fix that for DS2? If they can just get the game running well on PC with the bare minimum of features common to PC games (keyboard support, graphics options, control customization, etc.) then I'm fine considering the developer.

This ain't like Infinity Ward or id Software prioritizing consoles after years of being primarily PC-focused. I honestly wouldn't expect any more from a Visceral PC port than I would from a Namco or Konami PC port.

antitrop

Like I said before, I don't take issue with his overall message, but this is clearly a case of "Would have been better to say nothing at all.".

DS3 is a God damn PR nightmare and they just keep perpetuating it.

"We want every player to have the same experience, so no PC specific features like upgraded graphics."

"It's very important that every version utilize a system to its fullest, therefore no Wii U version."

When the real answer to both is, "We don't believe there is money in either market."

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
His reasoning is stupid (the PC version is already better; there's no reason to artificially gimp it in the name of equality), but people shouldn't be whining about the PC port being "barebones" in the first place. PC gamers aren't magically entitled to additional features just because they paid a shitload for their rigs. They get the same game as the console with higher resolution and better frame rates. If they're personally insulted that Visceral didn't make a special version of the game for the PC, they are free to have a tantrum and/or boycott it.

I say this as someone who has been doing most of his gaming on PC for the last 6 months.
I'm not entitled to anything. If I don't like what I'm being offered, or I don't feel it's up to the level of other games on the platform, of course I'll pass. It's only business, after all.

That said, why should I buy a product that is deliberately inferior to others I can get with the same amount of cash? And why shouldn't I complain about it?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The difference is those games are actually good.

All we have here is another dumbed down, shootbang third person coop shooter.

I totally haven't seen one of those before.

Then the issue isn't really the quality of the port is it? Unless better graphics makes it worthwhile to play a game you don't like.

Though, I agree with you. This isn't a game to give any attention to. It would be like being angry at Mess Effect 3 being a barebones port.

Honestly I have no problem with a bare bones port. Added bells & whistles are great and might make me want to buy the game more, but I can't fault them for not doing so. All I ask is that it performs well and controls well. Don't make me edit an ini file to make it look and control how it should, and don't make me have to download a user fix.

10 spacebucks says the game will have mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration on and that you have to turn them off through an ini.

It's an UE3 engine game and those all have that shit turned on by default.

@Visceral, I have decided a long time ago to return your infinite benevolence of allowing us to control the game with a keyboard and mouse by allowing your game to stay on the shelf.
Now we are even 'bros'.

Top Bottom