• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral defends barebones Dead Space 3 PC port "We don't want it to feel different"

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they obviously couldn't make the port good.
They half-arsed the game on consoles, so now you can get that feel with the PC port!

The recent PR for this game has been terrrrrrrrrible. Smh

At this point developers just need to release what they do in marketing and leave it at that. No defending, no explanations. Why? Because no matter what people are going to twist that into be an "apologist statement" or further worsen the situation (Tomb Raider, Mass Effect 3). Let folks have their opinions and let the full game speak for itself. If there's still a loud part of the community tearing at it, then move on to the next project instead of including those people in your lives.

Seriously, 2012 has just been a mess regarding both PR and internet hive mentality, and it looks to keep coming in strong this year.

delta25

Banned
The real reason: "We don't believe that the additional of money and time into a proper PC game would bring any more money than a bare-bones PC port"

Keeping it bare bones allows for the PC version to be more accessible to people with lower end computers while at the same time providing a visual experience that is equally matched no matter what kind of hardware its running on. Judging by the system requirements for DS3, any computer built within the last five/six years should be able to max the game out just fine and dandy.

DTKT

Keeping it bare bones allows for the PC version to be more accessible to people with lower end computers while at the same time providing a visual experience that is equally matched no matter what kind of hardware its running on. Judging by the system requirements for DS3, any computer built within the last five/six years should be able to max the game out just fine and dandy.

Adding more high-end options doesn't prevent you from having a barebones option. It's just more work and it's obviously something they want to avoid. There is just no point in investing time in something that won't sell enough to cover it's own cost.

Have you never heard of a settings menu? Or default settings?

so basically, they're not going to do extra work like special high res textures or higher detailed models? what's the problem again? isn't that how most PC ports are handled?

freddy

Banned
I don't think little kids who like to hear someone say some variation of fuck every second word can afford a decent PC anyway.

The more barebones it is, the less likely it is to run on a wider variety of hardware.

Adding options to toggle graphics settings on and off vastly increases end user compatibility.

Boogdud

From now on, all portable ports of any game are the status quo. We don't want full blown console owners and PC users to start getting uppity.

Maztorre

From now on, all portable ports of any game are the status quo. We don't want full blown console owners and PC users to start getting uppity.

with a few important disclaimers:

*except WiiU or Vita
**except when advertising the game as Better With Kinect
***except when bundling a lightgun spinoff with one console's edition of the game
****except for the few instances when we provide proper PC options, then we'll be all over that shit to convince you we understand PC communities for real this time please take us back baby

delta25

Banned
Adding more high-end options doesn't prevent you from having a barebones option. It's just more work and it's obviously something they want to avoid. There is just no point in investing time in something that won't sell enough to cover it's own cost.

But based on what Visceral and Papoutsis are saying, adding the extra bells and whistle into the PC version means that us dirty little console folk wont get to experience the game the way it was meant to be seen. Personally I'm inclined to believe Papoutsis, he seems like a straight shooter. Him and Visceral feel that making a bare bones port means that no one we'll have "a better version" meaning that everyone will get to see the game the way it was meant to be seen, and I see nothing wrong with this.

sp3000

But based on what Visceral and Papoutsis are saying, adding the extra bells and whistle into the PC version means that us dirty little console folk wont get to experience the game the way it was meant to be seen. Personally I'm inclined to believe Papoutsis, he seems like a straight shooter. Him and Visceral feel that making a bare bones port means that no one we'll have "a better version" meaning that everyone will get to see the game the way it was meant to be seen, and I see nothing wrong with this.

So pretty much everyone should experience a worse looking game because your stuck on 2005 hardware. You know, because "that's the way it was meant to be seen"

What utter grade school mentality.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The fact that we're allowing you

I guess I won't "allow" my money to leave my wallet.

1295075959_dr_house_gif2.gif

delta25

Banned
So pretty much everyone should experience a worse looking game because your stuck on 2005 hardware. You know, because "that's the way it was meant to be seen"

What utter grade school mentality.

Simmer down.

What's wrong with providing all potential users an equally match visual experience?

DocSeuss

What?

Visceral, I just want to see your attractive games looking as attractive as possible. What's so wrong with that?

I'm not asking for the inclusion of physx or whatever, just... higher quality textures, better AA, stuff like that.

Reward the guys who don't buy your games used, why don't you?

Tzeentch

I for one applaud Visceral for their enlightened opinion on this matter.

Can't wait to see this game in the $5 bargain bin.

Simmer down.

What's wrong with providing all potential users an equally match visual experience?

Yeah. I don't know why Capcom is wasting time tweaking Resident Evil: Revelations for PS360. Just turn the resolution up to 720p and call it a day. Nothing wrong with it all being equal.

delta25

Banned
Yeah. I don't know why Capcom is wasting time tweaking Resident Evil: Revelations for PS360. Just turn the resolution up to 720p and call it a day. Nothing wrong with it all being equal.

Hyperbole to the max. Comparing a handheld to console port is IMO absurd.

Great point, while we're at it lets put all the speed limits to 15, it works for malls why not everywhere else too?

LOL now you guy's are getting ridiculous. Calm down...

scitek

I don't see why people are surprised at this. Visceral is a console developer making console games that just happen to have PC versions.

I haven't played Dead Space 2 on PC but the first one ran very well, the only problem being how vsync locked it to 30 frames per second. Did they fix that for DS2? If they can just get the game running well on PC with the bare minimum of features common to PC games (keyboard support, graphics options, control customization, etc.) then I'm fine considering the developer.

This ain't like Infinity Ward or id Software prioritizing consoles after years of being primarily PC-focused. I honestly wouldn't expect any more from a Visceral PC port than I would from a Namco or Konami PC port.

No one's surprised at the barebones port, it's the flippant attitude of Papoutsisand how out of touch he sounds for someone in his position that's rubbing people the wrong way.

Look one post up for this.

You don't think the difference in horsepower between modern high end PC's and 360 are on the same level as the differences between the 360 and 3DS? Both cases are porting games from inferior systems to far superior hardware. Why would you not optimize for it?

Capcom is better than Visceral, is my point.

Simmer down.

I'm getting this for the 360, but I couldn't care less if PC users get a better version graphically.

All PC games should have specialized settings that take advantage of better hardware. They don't get anything new that console gamers do, just a much prettier version.

DocSeuss

LOL now you guy's are getting ridiculous. Calm down...

Yes, and?

Console interfaces and power are to PC interfaces and power what portable titles are to console games. o-o

Maztorre

Simmer down.

Because different sets of users have different expectations of visual quality depending on the format they are released on. Do you think blu-ray owners buy or would accept discs mastered for 480i because all users should only have access to the lowest common denominator? Funnily enough I don't remember EA and their ilk worrying too much about an "equally matched visual experience" on PS3 in its early years, not that it stopped them selling it as such.

I wouldn't give a shit (I have no intention of buying this game), but when you pretend that a closed hardware environment with one set of user expectations is the same as an open hardware environment with a very different set of user expectations this is the inevitable result. That they would open a sentence to paying customers with "The fact that we're allowing you..." shows how little regard they have for this version of the game and its users.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is the same entirely blatant bullshit that CD are using for tomb raider on wiiU. How do the devs think we'll fall for it?

delta25

Banned
Look one post up for this.

Why would you not optimize for it. What's the point?

Because everyone hates PC gaming, I don't know. ;) It's seems like anytime a game doesn't cater to the PC in any specific way everyone cries foul and automatically writes it off. Regardless of the potential lost, the game still looks amazing.

Big-E

I feel that Visceral, for their size, seems to talk the most out of anyone and everything they say is fucking stupid. They are doing a great job of selling people off their game. I loved DS and thought DS2 was ok but wont be touching this game.

Because everyone hates PC gaming, I don't know. ;) It's seems like anytime a game doesn't cater to the PC in any specific way everyone cries foul and automatically writes it off. Regardless of the potential lost, the game still looks amazing.

I haven't really seen much of the game, but I doubt it looks amazing compared to games that were optimized for the system like Max Payne 3 and Sleeping Dogs.

No company would port a Wii game straight over to PS3 or 360 without tweaking, or they'd face tons of ridicule. Yet, they think it's okay to do the exact same thing here. You'd think after Dark Souls everyone would get it (not that this is as bad as dark souls since it won't be locked 720p60). Even Square figured it out, and those dumb asses are on their third FFXIII game without realizing people don't give a shit.

scitek

If there wasn't any incentive to support advanced features when the games were sold where people actually buy games, honestly, why bother when it's only going to be sold on Origin?

I really loved Dead space 1 and 2. They ran and looked great on my pc. The biggest thing that bummed me out is Dead Space 2 had single player dlc that I never got to play. They were so lazy they never released it for pc. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I think this is just a bad case of damage control going wrong.

A) It's not uncommon for multiplatform games to barely differ from the pc counterpart ( barring the obvious framerate and resolution ofc ) option wise.

B) Why would you ever, under any circumstance, go "we didn't add anything extra to the pc version" imagine every dev out there releasing a PR statement each time they DIDN'T add a bunch of features to the pc version. Again it's not like people were expecting a dx11 feature set for ds3 given the history of the previous versions' pc counterpart.

They were so lazy they never released it for pc. :(

Ugh, "laziness" probably played no part in the decision of not putting the DLC on pc. You can most assuredly thank EA for that ( yeah I know hur dur whacking a dead horse by blaming EA for anything bad but the decision was theirs to make and they didn't for some ludicrous reason )

K' Dash

Visceral, I love you guys, and believe that I tell you this because I want the best for you:

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Every time I see you comment about this game is just stupid, get a PR person before you answer anything or just say:

"No comment, I think our game is awesome and it'll "speak" for itself."

KKRT00

B) Why would you ever, under any circumstance, go "we didn't add anything extra to the pc version" imagine every dev out there releasing a PR statement each time they DIDN'T add a bunch of features to the pc version. Again it's not like people were expecting a dx11 feature set for ds3 given the history of the previous versions' pc counterpart.
Yeah, this is exactly the reason why most interviews are so bad and careful in words, because when You arent careful, You get angry mob of people who cant even read properly or do some research [like for example looking at earlier series entries].

---
I just dont get the hate, he just saying that they arent doing anything extra, not that port will be awful.

GAF!:
1. Game will have ingame settings, they confirmed it in first PR
2. Its nothing new in for this franchise.
3. Why Origin only? Its EA game, simple as that, its not like others not doing the same, so why they should too?

Never before in my life have I wanted to smack the ever loving shit out of someone, until I read this.

Have you ever been more dramatic before?

Why so much phony posturing? Those of you who had no plans of ever buying the game or are pretending you didn't know it was Origin only relish the opportunity to sing that same song again and again. Plenty of you have already made it clear you are not interested. The now I'm really not getting it only lessen the impact of your defiant uniqueness. Think about the developer and how you are hurting them with the taunts of lost sales that they weren't counting on. They saw this coming. They see you do it all of the time.

Deadbeat

Banned
EA sort of reminds me of Microsoft. One branch does one thing while the other branch undermines their efforts.
Kind of like how im playing BF3 with 64 players and much higher quality in graphics. They released tons of press info for that stuff.

Whatever I got Deadspace 1 and 2 for free on origin so who am I to complain?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not entitled to anything. If I don't like what I'm being offered, or I don't feel it's up to the level of other games on the platform, of course I'll pass. It's only business, after all.

That said, why should I buy a product that is deliberately inferior to others I can get with the same amount of cash? And why shouldn't I complain about it?

Do you play games, or do you play tech specs? Your decision to play Dead Space 3 shouldn't be based on whether Dead Space 3 has rendering features and textures on par with some other random PC game. Your decision should be based on whether you want to play Dead Space 3. If you do, do you want to play the best version? The PC version is still objectively the best one.

They are offering the same content as they are on consoles, at the same price, with better resolution and frame rate. If you are actually interested in DS3 as a game and not as a technical showpiece, then what's the problem?

KKRT00

Who else only sells their games on their own store? Even Valve sells their games on Origin.

No, they dont sell games digitally on any other service than Steam.

BTW Dead Space 3 is on gmg, but Portal 2 isnt or any other Valve's game in fact.

Top Bottom