• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral defends barebones Dead Space 3 PC port "We don't want it to feel different"

The real reason: "We don't believe that the additional of money and time into a proper PC game would bring any more money than a bare-bones PC port"

And he would be right. How many people do you think would buy Dead Space 3 (that weren't already going to) because it supported DX11?

And he would be right. How many people do you think would buy Dead Space 3 (that weren't already going to) because it supported DX11?

It does help some games get more attention when they do a good job. Sleeping Dogs definitely got extra attention because of how good it looked (not that it didn't deserve the attention because of quality). How much money that translates to, who knows? But, obviously some other companies think it's worth the time.

antitrop

There's another option in that last screenshot that is shadow quality.

This is more clumsy PR than a really barebones PC port.
Exactly the problem here.

People are mistaking this horrible PR as an admission that the PC port will be bad, when we honestly have no reason to believe that will be the case.

RoKKeR

Exactly the problem here.

People are mistaking this horrible PR as an admission that the PC port will be bad, when we honestly have no reason to believe that will be the case.
Especially based on Visceral's previous releases. I found DS2 on PC to be perfectly fine.

Their previous 2 ports were just fine for me imo, (except for the horrible mouse lag/smoothing in 1, but I used a 360 controller which negated that issue for me) and ran smoothly on my ancient hardware.

If 3 continues that trend, I'll be satisfied. Keep those DX 11 features for the next Frostbite 2 iteration of Dead Space, Visceral.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It adds the directories "Electrontic Arts" and "Electronic Arts" to your My Documents folder.

And, IIRC, there was something like a quarter-second of mouse lag in the main menu. It was embarrassing.

Admittedly, it runs ok. But everything about it screams "we don't care about this game".
My OCD prevents me from getting the game, if that's the case. It's bad enough having both "Saved Games" (Jamestown) and "SavedGames" (Hell Yeah!) directories there, I don't want to have "EA Games" (Mirror's Edge), "Electronic Arts" and "Electrontic Arts" (nice typo guys, good job!) too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yeah they do.

I asked and CS pointed me to this:

Refunds or credits will be issued solely at Green Man Gaming's discretion. Refunds may be offered if all the following conditions are met:

- The time of your request for refund/credit is no more than 7 days from time of purchase

- The game has not been activated or downloaded

- The game activation key (including any bonus or beta keys) have not been disclosed to you by email or webpage

- Physical games are for UK distribution only. Any attempt to purchase these outside the UK (using a proxy or VPN, etc) will result in a loss purchase and will not be refunded

- We are unable to process refunds 48 hours before a game is due to be released or preload begins

- We find your request reasonable due to special circumstances

- Paypal refunds CAN NOT be processed after 60 days from purchase

- Goods lost in post will be refunded within 30 days

I ordered three months ago. So no, they don't offer refunds (unless you're within the seven day window and meet all the other conditions).

Should have stuck with Amazon.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Half of you are acting like the PC port is going to be worse than the console versions. It's still going to run at much higher resolutions and framerates, I really don't understand the problem here.
It just doesn't read well. Most devs ensure PC gamers that they're cooking up something special just for them, even if the actual port doesn't live up to expectations.

I didn't really have any problems with the graphics in the previous DS ports. It looks pretty damn good running at 120fps.

I was going to get this day one but now i will get it when its $10. Fuck atleast admit its just a port. No need to justify it with lies.

"Just be lucky you are getting it" is such a poor mindset to have.

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different," Papoutsis said.
ibtV2moE02GfvK.gif

Slavik81

My OCD prevents me from getting the game, if that's the case. It's bad enough having both "Saved Games" (Jamestown) and "SavedGames" (Hell Yeah!) directories there, I don't want to have "EA Games" (Mirror's Edge), "Electronic Arts" and "Electrontic Arts" (nice typo guys, good job!) too.
Consider My Documents an application data directory and never look at it again. Put your documents in some other folder. Your OCD will thank you. (That's what I did.)

Duxxy3

Consider My Documents an application data directory and never look at it again. Put your documents in some other folder. Your OCD will thank you. (That's what I did.)

90% of computers I've ever worked on had all of the files or documents stored...

right on the desktop.

This one professors desktop was actually overloaded with documents so badly that not all of them fit anymore.

EA really love to shoot themselves in the foot, masochists no doubt.

As if justifying a lot of PC gamers to use Origin isn't a tough enough task they keep saying the wrong things to their PC userbase. If I want my copy to look like its on a console I would use a console and same for console players they know the limitations.

And when/if this game doesn't meet expectations, they will think it's the consumer's faults. There's no way it could be due to things like this, nooooooooo wayyyyyyyy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it. Another no buy for me then.

Until such a time that Origin's active userbase is a fraction of what it is currently, you will never see a game that is both EA-developed and EA-published on Steam or otherwise free of Origin.

Edit: EA could do what Ubi does and have EA games open an individualised instance of Origin, but again this won't happen until EA deems it necessary to offer DLC via Steam.

Mohonky

I said it in the dead space 3 demo thread: going to settle on the 360 version for now and get the PC much later/cheaper.

Me too by the sound of it. Though I was impressed by the 360 demo, looked very sharp and yet jaggy free.

May consider an el cheapo release on PC if deemed worth it.

Qblivion

"At our studio, we've always made console games,"

That is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I don't know why people are upset about it. As I've said before, just let console games be console games and PC games be PC games.

gdt

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not smart stuff to say.

I'm day 1 no question, but there've been lots of foots in mouths over at Visceral lately.

DocSeuss

Store all documents in Dropbox or the cloud service of your choice.

It's amazing.

Cassius

Dead Space 2 was a fine port.

Original Dead Space felt like mouse acceleration was forced or something, game definitely didn't feel right.

Store all documents in Dropbox or the cloud service of your choice.

It's amazing.

And wring your hands in despair when the services go offline for unexpected maintainence without prior notification and a meek apology to follow up and you realize the only copy of your precious documents are inaccessible.

I swear, at the rate we're letting our private data and information be stored in the cloud, we might as well be putting a huge sign out to hackers that say "HACK ME".

And wring your hands in despair when the services go offline for unexpected maintainence without prior notification and a meek apology to follow up and you realize the only copy of your precious documents are inaccessible.

Why does using a cloud service as your primary storage imply that you wouldn't have a backup?

diamount

Banned
If it gets the same treatment like DS2 then I do not care. But I do prefer to play with gamepad for games like these even though you'd expect pinpoint precision when targeting necromorph limbs.

Cels

If it gets the same treatment like DS2 then I do not care. But I do prefer to play with gamepad for games like these even though you'd expect pinpoint precision when targeting necromorph limbs.

well, i would mind if dlc (like severed for DS2) comes to consoles but not PC, but they claim they want the "same experience" on all platforms so we'll see if they end up releasing dlc on all platforms this time

Mooreberg

I don't know why they bother to say anything else when the obvious answer is that a version expected to make them less money does not get any exceptional bells & whistles.

I can't tell if producers are supposed to act as corporate lightning rods, soaking up all the hate for bad decisions... letting the developer get on with the job of making the game. Or if the developers are just spineless fucks who deserve to be bashed. Visceral is starting to feel like a Rare-tier developer.

Psi

Why would they need to defend that anymore than Valve has to defend their Steam only games?

It's their platform, nothing to defend. Valve doesn't offer most of their games via origin or other dd stores. Are you going to "defend" that?

When exactly did I ever mention or defend Valve games?

I don't use Origin because I don't like or trust EA, so I'd rather have another option even if it isn't Steam.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
If its origin only will NEVER buy it. If it hits Steam will buy it for a fiver like the other DS games. Good games but no love put into the PC version!

Eideka

Banned
That's weird to praise visual parity when a platform is significantly more powerful than others. Anyway, as much as Visceral hates to admit it the PC version will be superior by virtue of running at 1080p/60fps.

But hey, if they don't want to boost PC sales that's their loss, not ours.
I'll pick this up when it hits 5€.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why don't companies just get better PR people.

Half the time developers are getting fucked over because PR either doesn't know what they're talking about, or just says something completely asinine.

Hypron

It doesn't work like that though. You've got one copy of the documents on your computer, and one on their servers. They are synchronised every time you go online (or you can use custom rules if you want). If the servers are offline, you still have access to your files.

NinjaBoiX

"We didn't want it to feel different."

We may have a winner for the thinnest, most baseless rationalisation this gen. That shit is weak.

herod

I swear, at the rate we're letting our private data and information be stored in the cloud, we might as well be putting a huge sign out to hackers that say "HACK ME".

you should check out Dropbox, it might blow your mind

DocSeuss

My dropbox folder is synced with three computers.

If dropbox goes offline, I can access my data on any of those computers. There are copies of them in the cloud that are updated after I update my files, and those changes are pushed out to the other systems I have... but yeah, if Dropbox goes offline, the files are still on my computers and completely accessible.

It's just a directory on my computer.

Don't get me wrong--I think the cloud's a pile of shit for a lot of reasons (like, y'know, how most people on the planet don't have the kind of uberfast/reliable internet that silicon valley and journalist types have)--but Dropbox is a good implementation of it.

If Steam saving weren't occasionally buggy, it too would be a great implementation.

Top Bottom